WOC Viewing Chart

Is this the MOST current chart of the viewing area?? I've seen a few floating around on here and I just wanted to make sure that I'm basing my decision on where to go, on a current chart. Has anyone been this month (Jan) and how were the crowds?

I'm going mid week at the end of Feb/beg March so they will only have 1 show at 8:15pm. Based on this chart, I'm hoping to get a wet zone, rail spot in Yellow. I haven't seen much info on where to line up (seems it always changes???) and when. Much of the info posted, or at least what I've seen, has been for summer time when they have 2 or more shows and for blue/red sections. So for one show next month, Yellow rail section...how would I do this? I have a small child and *hope* to get front and center. I will not be buying a picnic or dinner and can get to DCA as early as I need to. However, I see there's a another chart on when each color FP is distributed. Is that current too??

Any help would be much appreciated! For some reason I've had a difficult time understanding all of this...just seems like more trouble then it's worth and parts of me just want to "bag it". Maybe now that it's been 6+ months, things have settled down a bit and gotten more organized?:confused3

WOC Fastpasses are not difficult to get.... :cool1:Actually, Yellow is the hardest to pass to get as it is the smallest section and they run out the fastest. Red is very easy to get.

Up front in the Yellow or Red Wet Zones is easy to get to and fun. You will need to line up a little early to get at the rail in the center of the Wet viewing areas.

The left side is the entrance for Blue where they take your Fastpass. Hand them your Fastpass take one step forward, duck under the rope (not always there) and two-three steps to the rail. The spot is just inside the area behind the yellow fire hydrant. It is very easy to get to, as it usually is not filled until most are already inside. You do not need to line up an hour early to get this spot. And, you are the first to leave saving another 5-10 minutes in a crowd.

Downsides: there is only space for 6-8 people to see well. Small children or people under 5' can have difficulity seeing if they are too far from the top.
IMG_0557.jpg

My family will definitely be using this spot for our first trip to DL in June :yay: but I just want to make sure I am reading this right.
In the photo above, are those two people standing in the spot/area we're talking about?

Thanks,
CPC

My family will definitely be using this spot for our first trip to DL in June :yay: but I just want to make sure I am reading this right.
In the photo above, are those two people standing in the spot/area we're talking about?

Thanks,
CPC
No. The spot where the people are standing is in the VIP area or possibly the rear of the preferred viewing area depending on how they place the ropes. Where you want to go is right up to the near rail in front of the fire hydrant and behind the rope in the foreground.

BTW I tried this spot in September and agree it is a good spot. IMO it is not the best spot but that is highly subjective. It is pretty easy to get to this spot without a long wait and I would put call it the best (or near the best) spot you can get with a short 15-45 minute wait.

We have a dinner reservation so that we get into the preferred area for WOC when we are there next weekend. I am very afraid of how long I will still have to stand to wait and then see this show. I have a handicap tag for my car since I have horrible arthritis and some days have a very hard time walking at all. I was hoping not to have to do a scooter at DL (I will get a scooter whan doing Epcot or Animal Kingdom, will walk slowly for MK and HS).

My question is about the handicap area for WOC. Is there a handicap area for people in preferred seating from buying the dinner plan? If not, is the handicap seating available to those of us who have preferred seating (or whatever they call it) or do we have to have a certain color fast past for the handicap area? Will I be able to get into the handicap area to have a seat if I don't have a scooter or wheelchair if I have my handicap tag with me?

Depending on the length of time I'll have to stand to wait, I may have to get a scooter for that day if it is the only way to get into the handicap section. I can walk better than I can stand still, in terms of pain. How far ahead of show time to I have to get to the preferred seating to stand to wait for the show? And how long is the show, too?

We have a dinner reservation so that we get into the preferred area for WOC when we are there next weekend. I am very afraid of how long I will still have to stand to wait and then see this show. I have a handicap tag for my car since I have horrible arthritis and some days have a very hard time walking at all. I was hoping not to have to do a scooter at DL (I will get a scooter whan doing Epcot or Animal Kingdom, will walk slowly for MK and HS).

My question is about the handicap area for WOC. Is there a handicap area for people in preferred seating from buying the dinner plan? If not, is the handicap seating available to those of us who have preferred seating (or whatever they call it) or do we have to have a certain color fast past for the handicap area? Will I be able to get into the handicap area to have a seat if I don't have a scooter or wheelchair if I have my handicap tag with me?

Depending on the length of time I'll have to stand to wait, I may have to get a scooter for that day if it is the only way to get into the handicap section. I can walk better than I can stand still, in terms of pain. How far ahead of show time to I have to get to the preferred seating to stand to wait for the show? And how long is the show, too?

When I saw WOC this past summer, I had a knee brace from surgery. If you are planning on not using a scooter, but want access to the handicap area, you will need to obtain a Guest Assistance Card. If you show your handicap tag at the viewing area, I am not sure what would happen. But with a GAC or a scooter, you will be admitted to the handicap viewing area. I ate at the Wine Country Trattoria on the WOC preferred dining plan for the second showing. There is a handicap area in the preferred dining section. Make sure you let the CMs know you are handicapped and they will show you the handicapped section. There are benches in the section, and the CMs will tell your party that only the handicapped person is able to sit down. My hubby stood behind me and since we were one of the first to arrive, when the show was about to start a nice CM told him he could sit down since there was room. If I remember correctly, we waited about 30 minutes or so before being let into the handicapped area. I would say we waited another 20 minutes or so for the show to start.

Hopefully that helps! :thumbsup2

I have never had to deal personally with the handicap issue so cannot answer most of your questions. But I can answer some.

First, the thread "World of Color Superthread" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=37986447 has a link to a really good hi-res photo of the WOC viewing area - http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/101293-2/ParadisePark_By_Daniel_K_Lew.jpg

WOC lasts 25 minutes. How early to arrive depends on which show you are seeing and on which day - and how badly you want a good view. For the first show most people who want to be first into the viewing area start lining up 2 hours early - even though the CMs discourage this and often are not willing to tell you exactly where the line will be until a certain time (often 90 minutes or so before the show).

Once you are to your viewing spot you can sit down. For us it was on the concrete. That would probably not be an option for you. One option to consider are the steps right outside the circle in the middle of the WOC viewing area (see the photo linked above). If you can get to the top of the steps you can sit down there and wait until the show starts. Being at the top of the steps would give you some obvious height advantage over those below (not much, but some) and would allow you to sit while waiting on something other than a flat surface. Once the show starts you would need to stand to see it.

As for where the handicap area is located, I am sure there is one in the preferred area. I just do not know where. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

Best of luck. World of Color is a wonderful show!

:wizard:

When I saw WOC this past summer, I had a knee brace from surgery. If you are planning on not using a scooter, but want access to the handicap area, you will need to obtain a Guest Assistance Card. If you show your handicap tag at the viewing area, I am not sure what would happen. But with a GAC or a scooter, you will be admitted to the handicap viewing area. I ate at the Wine Country Trattoria on the WOC preferred dining plan for the second showing. There is a handicap area in the preferred dining section. Make sure you let the CMs know you are handicapped and they will show you the handicapped section. There are benches in the section, and the CMs will tell your party that only the handicapped person is able to sit down. My hubby stood behind me and since we were one of the first to arrive, when the show was about to start a nice CM told him he could sit down since there was room. If I remember correctly, we waited about 30 minutes or so before being let into the handicapped area. I would say we waited another 20 minutes or so for the show to start.

Hopefully that helps! :thumbsup2

Thank you, that helps quite a bit! I don't know much about Guest Assistance cards as I've never used one before at WDW. And I may yet end up with a scooter for the day, but I'm really trying hard not to. Walking is actually good for me but I have to be sure not to overdo it and then be out for the next day. Standing really just kills my knees. If I could sit and DH stand behind me, that would be great. I will check out getting the Guest Assistance card when we get there. Not sure if I have to show my handicap tag to get one but I'll bring it with me just in case.

I have never had to deal personally with the handicap issue so cannot answer most of your questions. But I can answer some.

First, the thread "World of Color Superthread" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=37986447 has a link to a really good hi-res photo of the WOC viewing area - http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/101293-2/ParadisePark_By_Daniel_K_Lew.jpg

WOC lasts 25 minutes. How early to arrive depends on which show you are seeing and on which day - and how badly you want a good view. For the first show most people who want to be first into the viewing area start lining up 2 hours early - even though the CMs discourage this and often are not willing to tell you exactly where the line will be until a certain time (often 90 minutes or so before the show).

Once you are to your viewing spot you can sit down. For us it was on the concrete. That would probably not be an option for you. One option to consider are the steps right outside the circle in the middle of the WOC viewing area (see the photo linked above). If you can get to the top of the steps you can sit down there and wait until the show starts. Being at the top of the steps would give you some obvious height advantage over those below (not much, but some) and would allow you to sit while waiting on something other than a flat surface. Once the show starts you would need to stand to see it.

As for where the handicap area is located, I am sure there is one in the preferred area. I just do not know where. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

Best of luck. World of Color is a wonderful show!

:wizard:
Thank you for the info! Sitting on the ground is impossible for me and even sitting on steps would be difficult. I'm going to try the Guest Assistance card ID with my handicap tag along and hope that gets me a seat. Unless I'm in a scooter by then anyway as we'll have been there a few days. I'm hoping my knees hold out and that is not the case.

Thank you, that helps quite a bit! I don't know much about Guest Assistance cards as I've never used one before at WDW. And I may yet end up with a scooter for the day, but I'm really trying hard not to. Walking is actually good for me but I have to be sure not to overdo it and then be out for the next day. Standing really just kills my knees. If I could sit and DH stand behind me, that would be great. I will check out getting the Guest Assistance card when we get there. Not sure if I have to show my handicap tag to get one but I'll bring it with me just in case.

I understand how it is. I urge you to get the GAC if it will help you have a better day at the parks. You obtain one at Guest Relations at either park and you don't have to show proof, although it won't hurt to have your tag. Just be clear and tell them what help you need. They will give you the card and you can use it on attractions and for the shows. It really helps because you don't have to explain yourself over and over again to get the help you need. Have fun! :goodvibes

I understand how it is. I urge you to get the GAC if it will help you have a better day at the parks. You obtain one at Guest Relations at either park and you don't have to show proof, although it won't hurt to have your tag. Just be clear and tell them what help you need. They will give you the card and you can use it on attractions and for the shows. It really helps because you don't have to explain yourself over and over again to get the help you need. Have fun! :goodvibes

All I really need is to avoid a lot of stairs and to be able to sit for waiting/watching WOC. If my knees get really bad, I'll be in a scooter. But if I can walk, I want to do that. Is that too specific for a GAC? Ask to avoid stairs and sit for WOC?

All I really need is to avoid a lot of stairs and to be able to sit for waiting/watching WOC. If my knees get really bad, I'll be in a scooter. But if I can walk, I want to do that. Is that too specific for a GAC? Ask to avoid stairs and sit for WOC?

No, that will be very helpful for them. The GAC has an area where the CM places different stamps depending on what you tell them. There is a stamp that means "no stairs" and when you show it at an attraction or show, the CM will direct you for the proper loading procedure. Have fun! :goodvibes

Update January 25, 2011

Preferred Dining
1. Is now smaller.
2. The upper Steps have been changed to Yellow and Blue.
3. The lower Blue Handicapped has been changed the Perferred Dining.
Blue Section
1. The middle Handicapped section has been moved towards the center.
2. Upper steps of PD have been changed to Blue.
3. Added is a small section at the top next to VIP.
Yellow
1. Upper steps of PD have been changed to Yellow.

WOCJan2011.jpg

Some of the better spots are:
1. The front rail at the bottom of the PD section.
2. The top of the steps of the section next to the front of the PD section.
3. The Handicapped sections towards the center.
4. The top of the steps in the new areas added to Blue and Yellow.
5. Just inside the entrance to the Blue behind the Yellow Hyd. (easy to get to).
6. At the rails in Blue or Yellow towards the center.
7. On the Bridge rail towards the center.
8. The Red and Yellow WET section towards the center line. (FUN but wet)
9. The yellow section just above the lower handicapped.

The show can be seen from any section - it is just more difficult to see over
people if you are not at the front of each section at the rail

Update January 25, 2011

Perferred Dining
1. Is now smaller.
Blue Section
Yellow

WOCJan2011.jpg

Some of the better spots are:
1. The front rail at the bottom of the PD section.
2. The top of the steps of the section next to the front of the PD section.
3. The Handicapped sections towards the center.
4. The top of the steps in the new areas added to Blue and Yellow.
5. Just inside the entrance to the Blue behind the Yellow Hyd. (easy to get to).
6. At the rails in Blue or Yellow towards the center.
7. On the Bridge rail towards the center.
8. The Red and Yellow WET section towards the center line. (FUN but wet)
9. The yellow section just above the lower handicapped.

The show can be seen from any section - it is just more difficult to see over
people if you are not at the front of each section at the rail
Thanks once again!

No, that will be very helpful for them. The GAC has an area where the CM places different stamps depending on what you tell them. There is a stamp that means "no stairs" and when you show it at an attraction or show, the CM will direct you for the proper loading procedure. Have fun! :goodvibes

We arrived and did Tuesday afternoon walking in the park to see Alladin and to do Tower of Terror. It was enough pain for me to realize I was going to be in a scooter for this trip. The scooter made it so much easier for me. It also allowed us to have our preferred dining for WOC and then to sit in the handicapped section of the PD. We were able to sit on the bench there and have no one in front of us so our line of sight was great.

Thanks for all the help with the GAC. I hope to be walking well enough in the future to use just a GAC and not a scooter.

We saw WOC on Monday, January 31st. We received blue FP's with our picnics for the 8:15 show.
At 7:15 we showed up and they had already let the early people in. We walked right up to the hydrant area
and laid down a parka that my dd sat on while we waited.

5 minutes after we got there, a group of teenagers showed up and I heard them talking about the
"hydrant area" they had seen online. They decided that the next best place was on the terrace behind us.
I could hear one of them talking about the "perfect line of sight",
he told the others to imagine a dotted line up to the Ferris wheel! :lmao:
I think he must have seen the map here!

About 15 minutes before the show, people stared trying to push their way into our spot. :sad2:
The funny thing is, if they had asked nicely, we would have tried to accommodate them.
But as it was, we had just enough room for ourselves.

My thoughts on WOC are the following....
1. This is a wonderful show. But if you don't like crowds, you should rethink attending it.
My DH would have just about died in the crush. (claustrophobic)
2. The picnics were really good! But if you don't like cold food, you may not like them.
3. Check out your preferred spots early in the day.
It looks totally different once people start filling in the area.
4. Disney really needs to rethink the viewing area. Take out a few trees, planters...
I don't know, something needs to be done.
I would not have enjoyed this half as much in a different viewing spot.
5. The Tron portion is fantastic!
You'll enjoy it even if Tron doesn't do anything for you. :3dglasses

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for the wonderful advice. :thumbsup2
If I hadn't known about this spot, my dd's view would have been awful.
I couldn't have picked her up for the entire show,
and in this spot she was able to put her feet on the rail
and lean against me with an almost perfect view. :cloud9:

We arrived and did Tuesday afternoon walking in the park to see Alladin and to do Tower of Terror. It was enough pain for me to realize I was going to be in a scooter for this trip. The scooter made it so much easier for me. It also allowed us to have our preferred dining for WOC and then to sit in the handicapped section of the PD. We were able to sit on the bench there and have no one in front of us so our line of sight was great.

Thanks for all the help with the GAC. I hope to be walking well enough in the future to use just a GAC and not a scooter.

Yay! I am glad you were able to use the handicapped section in the preferred dining area. It does have a very good line of sight and since no one can go in front of you, it is pretty awesome. I will be there in a few weeks! :)

Update January 25, 2011

Preferred Dining
1. Is now smaller.
Blue Section
Yellow

WOCJan2011.jpg

[snip]

We went on January 29 and some of the changes reported have been changed again.

In December, we stood on the upper steps of PD with our Yellow FP. As of January 29, this area was once again all PD. This is probably appropriate as much of the round section below these steps has little to no site lines for those with PD.

The Blue upper handicapped section looks like it has been moved even closer to the center PD steps. The CM we spoke with said he thinks this is the best viewing location for those not wanting to be in the Wet Zone.

The CM confirmed that they continue to fiddle with the proceedures for opening and are trying to open the viewing area before any crowd forms. So don't be surprised if the viewing areas to open prior to the stated time. -- Suzanne

Can someone show us where the fIre hydant is located on the photo in the post above? Thanks for all your help!

Can someone show us where the fIre hydant is located on the photo in the post above? Thanks for all your help!

It is next to the VIP area.

See how the bottom line of the box outlining VIP sticks out to the right toward the blue?

It points almost directly at the fire hydrant.

The left side is the entrance for Blue where they take your Fastpass. Hand them your Fastpass take one step forward, duck under the rope (not always there) and two-three steps to the rail. The spot is just inside the area behind the yellow fire hydrant. It is very easy to get to, as it usually is not filled until most are already inside. You do not need to line up an hour early to get this spot. And, you are the first to leave saving another 5-10 minutes in a crowd.

The cast sends the early arrivals to the lower (front) of the show,,, This area usually is filled in last.

Depending on the evening and which cast members are running the Blue section, the view from the upper steps of the PD section are even better... But, it only seems to be open to Blue on evenings that the attendence is lower - or they did not sell a lot of PD ($40) meals.

WOCJan2011a.jpg

Downsides: there is only space for 6-8 people to see well. Small children or people under 5' can have difficulity seeing if they are too far from the top.

IMG_0557.jpg

However, this is the view at the yellow hydrant with a normal lens (not wide angle).
IMG_0697.jpg

You will notice that this is as far back as possible, with nobody blocking your view. The lower front of PD is probabbly the best, But the center front of Yellow and Red WET ZONE is a lot of fun and overwelms.... Kinda like sitting in the front row of a 3D movie.

This used to be my "Secret Spot" so do not tell anyone... OK..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter