Wonder Down Under

I’m sorry, I don’t get it. Why spend all that money to go on a cruise just to get your photo taken with a person in a costume? Seems like a huge waste of time and effort when there’s so much else you could be doing.
While you consider this just a person in a costume, other people do not. For them this is the embodiment of a character. Some of the Australian cruisers have not been to the parks, and this is their first encounter with a character that may mean a lot to them.

Why spend all that money to go on a cruise just to get your photo taken with a person in a costume? Seems like a huge waste of time and effort when there’s so much else you could be doing.
It's quite magical seeing my toddler daughter meet and chat with various beloved characters.

She was absolute enthralled with Belle after meeting her at Tokyo Disneyland. The "friends" of the characters are very skilled at engaging with littlies.

I’m sorry, I don’t get it. Why spend all that money to go on a cruise just to get your photo taken with a person in a costume? Seems like a huge waste of time and effort when there’s so much else you could be doing.
Most of the people we spoke to had children, had never been to the parks or met the characters before and that's what their kids wanted and why the parents had booked the cruise. So their kids could meet Mickey and the Gang. For many, they said it was the only time they would do the cruise and they had no current plans to visit the parks and so this was likely the one and only time they'd meet these characters,

Thanks - that's good to know.

Was there an obvious reason why everything was running almost an hour behind?
No, it was all just very slow. It seemed they were quite behind when we got in line but the wait times seemed to be similar across all the Princess Gathering Meet and Greets on our cruise. We have done them on other cruises and I think they put too many people into each session so it took longer to meet the characters

Last edited:
Was there any special merchandise for the Australian cruises?
There was a spirit jersey, a shirt, a tumbler, a Christmas tree ornament, pin, backpack, Mickey Ears, Mickey and Minnie Plush in their Australian outfits. Nothing said Inaugural, it just said Australia and New Zealand.

We were on the first Australian sailing out of Sydney. I will write up a review of all the good and bad shortly but in the meantime, I'm happy to answer questions people have. I have the navigators, menus, prices of various things on board, character lists. Ask anything and I'll do my best to answer.
We will be on the repositioning cruise from Sydney to Honolulu in February and were wondering what changes you noticed in addition to the re-imagined French Quarter Lounge since the recent drydock, specifically the expected upgrades to the internet service and plans? Any word on when MagicBand usage might be available on board? Thank you for any information you might have!

I would like to know how the weather was and were the seas rough? We are thinking about
combining the cruise with a land option next Nov/Dec. Thank you

We will be on the repositioning cruise from Sydney to Honolulu in February and were wondering what changes you noticed in addition to the re-imagined French Quarter Lounge since the recent drydock, specifically the expected upgrades to the internet service and plans? Any word on when MagicBand usage might be available on board? Thank you for any information you might have!
The Internet service has indeed been upgraded to be like what's offered on the other ships.

We were on the Hawaiian cruise just after dry dock….they put a lot of new carpet in the stair ways and in front of Cabanas . It was really cushy …lol at least in the aft .

Yes, they updated the internet so it's the same as the other ships with t's packages. There was also new carpet, replaced and painted the decking on Deck 4, new TVs in all staterooms, new screens in all lounges and bars, they've added a jewellery store, some concierge rooms were updated, the navigation satellite at the top of the ship also now folds down to fit under the Harbour Bridge.

No news on Magic Bands on board but I can't imagine it will be too far away since it's now available on most of the other ships.

I would like to know how the weather was and were the seas rough? We are thinking about
combining the cruise with a land option next Nov/Dec. Thank you
For our cruise, it was quite cold. The only day you could comfortably swim was boarding day. The pools were closed on the last sea day because it was so rough it was dangerous and the pools were drained. We had a deck party every night and everyone was in jackets, and on the Hobart night and final sea day, crew were handing out blankets and towels and people were bringing blankets from their state rooms. It was uncomfortably cold.

Nov and Dec should be much warmer though, especially Dec. Where are you sailing from?

As for the seas being rough, it was a little rough leaving the Heads from Sydney (which is normal). Going to Hobart most people were asleep so they were fine but it was rough. We were awake and it was quite rocky between 2am and 4:30am when we eventually went to sleep. The final sea day leaving Hobart was extremely rough. Around half the guests were sick, people were stuck in their cabins, you couldn't walk a straight line, they were handing out sick bags at Cabanas and they were in the bathrooms as well. Medical Bay was full and we heard from lots of people that they went to get the sea sickness shot. It was rough all day, worse in the morning between 7am and 2pm, was better after that but still quite rough. Pools were closed all day, Deck 4 was closed as well. It was too dangerous. Waves came up and hit the windows on Deck 3, waves smashed 2 windows on deck 2 as well. It was rough and not that unusual for that area.

Last edited:
As for the seas being rough, it was a little rough leaving the Heads from Sydney (which is normal). Going to Hobart most people were asleep so they were fine but it was rough. We were awake and it was quite rocky between 2am and 4:30am when we eventually went to sleep. The final sea day leaving Hobart was extremely rough. Around half the guests were sick, people were stuck in their cabins, you couldn't walk a straight line, they were handing out sick bags at Cabanas and they were in the bathrooms as well. Medical Bay was full and we heard from lots of people that they went to get the sea sickness shot. It was rough all day, worse in the morning between 7am and 2pm, was better after that but still quite rough. Pools were closed all day, Deck 4 was closed as well. It was too dangerous. Waves came up and hit the windows on Deck 3, waves smashed 2 windows on deck 2 as well. It was rough and not that unusual for that area.
Why do y'all want to cruise around there if it's so bad?

The area of sea that gets rough going in/out of Tasmania is the Bass Strait which is commonly known to get rocky, and to my understanding how rough it gets depends on the weather. I've had family members cruise to Hobart before and they didn't have rough seas, so it's luck of the draw!

Thank you so much rainbowredpanda for this post. It's of special interest to me because my wife is gluten intolerant. Looks like we'll need to pack sauces so she doesn't have to eat dry food. Do please update on Palo because of the same applies to Palo we'll cancel our brunch booking.

Why do y'all want to cruise around there if it's so bad?
It's just where most of the cruise ships travel to. It's not always that bad but it will always be rough seas. We had perfect weather and the waves cracked two windows and was crashing against decks 3 and 4.

Thank you so much rainbowredpanda for this post. It's of special interest to me because my wife is gluten intolerant. Looks like we'll need to pack sauces so she doesn't have to eat dry food. Do please update on Palo because of the same applies to Palo we'll cancel our brunch booking.
You're welcome. I will do a longer review for Palo but Palo was terrific. I wouldn't cancel your reservation. :)

I was on the same cruise 😁

I had so much fun. The food was the only thing I was a little disappointed about, because it was just average (no food allergies here, I'm just used to be wowed by some Disney food).

I found getting in line for the characters around 15-20 minutes before hand worked out well, and generally I was only waiting half an hour to get through the line. Jack Sparrow was the longest line I was in, and I probably waited an hour to see him, but it was 100% worth it 😅

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter