• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Work/Life Balance - How many hours a week do you work?

HeyIt'sMe

Nothin' to see here folks
I'm curious how many hours a week other people work. I work in an office with a 40-hour work week but no one in our office actually works 40 hours. Several years ago, before we went through some management and operational changes, most of our employees did work 40 hours a week but now we have a majority of people working 60+ hours a week. Not that they want to - they have to in order to keep up with all the changes at our company.

I work in the accounting department and average 45-50 hours a week (Mon-Fri). Sometimes I'll log in remotely and do some work at home over the weekend. This schedule works for me and I feel that I have a good work/life balance. I don't think I'd feel that way if I was working 60+ hours a week.

So how many hours do you work a week? And if you want to share, what is your job?

I work in the accounting department and average 45-50 hours a week (Mon-Fri). Sometimes I'll log in remotely and do some work at home over the weekend. This schedule works for me and I feel that I have a good work/life balance. I don't think I'd feel that way if I was working 60+ hours a week.
?

This is exactly me.

I manage the Service and Warranty Department for a large-volume home builder. In general I work about 45 hours a week (give or take; we don't punch a clock) and I'm on-call 24/7 one week out of every 8 week cycle. My work sites are both in the office and in far-flung locations within a 50-mile radius so I can often spend an extra hour or so on the road each way getting to and from.

I work 36-48 hrs a week, depending on available overtime hrs. I am a nurse paid hourly, and usually 12 hr shifts, so its still only 3-4 days/week.

As a mom to a 4 year old who we are trying to homeschool, I don't feel it gives a good balance. I'm hoping to cut back soon.

Right around 38-40 hours/week. I moved into management just over a year ago so I don't have to punch a clock and pretty much set my own hours. But I am "on call" 24/7/365.

Before that I probably averaged <45 hours per week.

I work for a pretty good company.

I'm a teacher and I spend Between 40 and 45 hours a week in the school building. I try not to bring too much home with me, but I do sometimes. I also run an eBay business from my home, and I spend 15-20 hours a week on that. We don't have any children, so I don't feel too badly about working so many hours.

I am lucky in that I do 40 hours a week nearly all the time, no more, no less. Occasionally I'll have to stay late or something, but it's infrequent enough that it doesn't bother me too much.

I am a college professor - I teach classes, do research, and manage two major programs on our campus. I used to work a ton of hours, but recently I have made a very conscious decision to work 40 hours a week. I don't bring work home (except for finals week, when I sometimes have no choice) and I don't send work e-mails outside of work time. If I have to go in to work on a weekend or evening (for a recruiting event, for example), I take the same number of hours off during the week to compensate. This means I have to be very efficient in my job, but it's worth it for the extra hours with my family.

I work about 40. My schedule is 35 but I never take my hour for lunch. I sometime answer emails from home or if I have an event will come in early/stay late but that is only a few times a year. My boss is big on family time being family time so there is little expectation that I answer work emails etc when I am with my kids. My husband's company is the same way. Its much different than his previous company that was all work all the time screw family

I work 40 and not a minute more. I am the Rehab Coordinator for PT/OT services. I have a decent work/life balance as my kids are older now so I am not spending time on school activities, homework, etc. I actually find that I am bored in the evenings when I get home now :-( Time to get some hobbies I guess.

I work 50-55 hours a week. My scheduled week is 45 hours (with an hour earmarked for lunch which no one takes)
With both of my boys away at college, I stay late because the house is empty until my husband gets home so I have no one to rush home to.
When the boys are home, I stay as close to 45 hours as I can to get home to spend time with them.

An average of 45 working hours per week, whether at the office, at home, or on the road visiting various company locations. Travel time is included in working hours.

Same as a few others here. Accounting department- 9 hour days with a 1 hour lunch supposedly built in that I rarely take. We are not permitted, for instance, to officially skip lunch and just work 9-5. The workday is 9 hours. Staying late (beyond the standard 45) is sometimes required to get the job done and we are all salary.

I work 40 hours per week not including 30 minutes for lunch. Management frowns on overtime which they have to pay if you are working more than 40 hours per week.

When I work, it tends to be 32 to 40 hours guaranteed, depending on the contract. My last one was 40, and of course, they avoid overtime so it's never more than 40. I take breaks between assignments amounting to about 3-4 months off a year, so it averages to 70% of that. I pick the time off over making more money.

I'm a general business-type manager. I probably average 40-45 hours of actual work time a week, plus I check and address email before work and all through the evening. It is my opinion that 50+ hour weeks should really be reserved for times when there is something special going on - a big project or a looming deadline. If you are working your employees that much all of the time, they are going to get burnt out and will not be as productive.

I'm in association/program management and work for a medical society. I work 35 hours a week, which is what is required, and no more. The organization I work for is pretty inflexible, and does not respect work/life balance so in turn, I am inflexible with them and don't give them more time than I have to. Unfortunately, when I have to go on travel for them, they work us 12-15 hours a day, and with a chronic illness, it's rough! So I am actively looking.

Previous to working here, I worked at places that respected work/life balance, and so I had no qualms about working more than 40 hours a week for them. I had no issues with checking emails on off hours or being casually on call. They always honored my time off, allowed me to work from home when need be, and allowed me to come in late/leave early/take long lunches for doctor's appointments.

I work in a private allergy clinic as a nurse. I work about 32-34hrs/week. I have every Wed off. Little stress and easy work. I am also a single mom by choice with 2 daughters. It is the perfect job. Our doc's put 15% of our annual income into retirement every year. At 6 yrs I am fully vested. Hopefully this will be my last job.

Bookkeeper and have been with the company 27 years. Right now I'm at work (notice I didn't say working, it's a small company and I have to be here whether I have something to do or not) about 44 to 45 hours a week. It depends on if I take a lunch break or have an appointment. I'm salaried so it all just kind of comes out in the wash. From May through Sept. last year I only worked 3 days a week, which averaged out to about 27 hours (I had too much vacation time and the boss forced me) then from Sept. through the end of Dec. I took every other Friday and Monday off so I always had a day off every week and that always gave me a 4 day weekend (again burning vacation time) I averaged about 34 or 35 hours a week then. I still have too much vacation, technically we can only accrue 120 hours at any given time and I have twice that. We used to pay out the difference every quarter but some people were loading hours to do that so it was stopped. Up until I was forced to work 3 days a week last year, I had never used any of my vacation time in the entire time I've worked here, my vacations were always on comp. time. We used to 0 out comp. time at the end of the year so even taking at least 2 week long vacations a year I still lost comp time at the end of the year as well. Pretty sure the boss is gearing up to shut down the company and didn't want to have to pay me over 500 hours of vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter