Work/Life Balance - How many hours a week do you work?

45ish hours is a typical week, but my hours vary greatly. I'm on a pastoral staff so as you can imagine, the seasons of the church dictate hours. There are long stretches of time where I'm putting in 65ish hours.

On the flipside, my job is extremely flexible - if I need to step out for personal reasons, I just make sure my staff know how to reach me. If I put in a long stretch of workdays, I can schedule myself a day off.

While this is my calling and my position is who I am not just what I do, I will say that I worked fewer hours at my previous church (larger staff + much less responsibility) and I was a lot less stressed out! :) Wouldn't change a thing, though.

Last edited:
Usually 35-40 hours at the office, plus another 10-15 hours at home during evenings and weekends. But there are occasions where I work 60+ hours.

Last edited:
When I worked full time I never worked over 40 hours a week. I'm part time now and I work 24 hours. I do have a laptop and will log in on my days off just to keep up with emails but it's not required. I'm salary so I guess that is how they get around that.

I have great home life work balance:)

OP here again. Well, I spoke too soon didn't I? Lots of people working 60+ hours a week.

I'm so glad it's Friday tomorrow .....

60-70 hours/week- sometimes more. I work my fulltime job 45-50 hours/week then a part time job. Some weeks, like this one, its too much. Tonight is the first evening I will be home since last Saturday.

The social services non-profit I work for has a standard 36 hour work week. We put in 4 nine hour days and are closed on Friday. I am an hourly lackey so the time system takes a mandatory 30 minute lunch out whether I actually take it or not. We are not at all encouraged (or allowed) to work outside of these hours, so I am strictly 36 hours. I make next to nothing, but have four weeks paid vacation and flexibility within my day. And they just added work remotely one day a week for my department, so it just got a little sweeter. As I still have my kids at home, this is working for me right now.

I spend 42.5 hours per week at work (including lunch, which doesn't count in the 8 hours per day), and commute an hour each way. So including commute time, I'm at 52.5 hours per week assuming everything goes as planned. I hate it and am seriously looking (and applying) for closer options. I'm 23 and miserable. The work hours aren't bad, it's the commute that is killer - I hate driving/being in the car.

I work 25 hours a week as a special education teaching assistant. My schedule is 6.25 hours a day, four days a week. I get to school 15 minutes before the first class. Work a three hour morning session, take a 30 minute unpaid lunch, then work a three hour afternoon session. My class doesn't meet on Fridays, so I get the day off. The teacher spends the day doing paperwork and holding IEP meetings. We love our schedule!

I'm a legal secretary at a small law firm. I usually work 40 hours per week, except when we have jury trials. For jury trial days and the prep before them, I usually average around 50 hours per week.

I recently went back to work after 18 years of being a SAHM. I am working 30 hours a week at a part time job that is not at all intellectually taxing. I just wanted to be able to get out of the house, help pay for DD's college expenses, and feel like I'm contributing to the household in a more concrete way.

DH averages around 50 hrs a week, down from his workaholic days of 60-70 hours.

I'm listed to work 37.5 hours a week, I think. Everyone with my title usually works about 45-50 hours a week. We leave at 5 on Fridays, but alternate days that we stay late, and rarely take our lunches.

This is our busy time though, in the summer we get every other Friday off (with pay) and do a lot of travel other times of the year.

I average 3 days a week and 15-20 hours. I work at a spa doing facials. I still feel like I don't have enough time off to get everything done that I want!

I work 40 hours per week. There is some overtime in our department which is shared amongst the 8 guys in the area. Lowest on the OT list gets first crack at it, then offered to the next person on the list if he refuses, etc, etc until it is covered.
OT is paid at double time or can be banked at straight time. I just celebrated 25 years with the company and am now up to 6 weeks paid vacation per year. We are encouraged/expected to take our vacation entitlements yearly. We can carry over some vacation from year to year but it is not encouraged. Vacation time off is managed by the team itself, not by management.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter