• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Working the System - A NYE PTR - Link to TR is up! 1/13

off to get a mani pedi and then to the office but...have a packing dillemma Right now the forecast is calling for 90% chance of rain and thunderstorms on Sunday...arrival day and CP. It does look like rain more in the early day than night but hard to say right now. really debating my boots as they can take the rain and are uber comfortable. However it only has a low of 59 that day...lower the rest of the week. That and what the heck to wear for Blue Zoo (which is showing a low of 45 at night) have me keep changing my mind! Thoughts? I'd also love to know, from the ladies in particular, for YOU on a winter variable weather trip how much of the following do you bring? Shoes Jeans Capri's Shorts Sundress/dress Tank Tee Sweatshirt/Fleece/Sweater or Jacket :goodvibes

No capris for me in the winter but I will bring a pair of flip flops. Layering is key. Florida looks warm though and you may not run cold like I do.

Yes, lots of layers in winter. Shorts in the day and jeans at night three weeks ago, so I would take the capris. You have the washing machine in the villa so you really dont need to take duplicates of jeans or capris. You can always throw in a load whenever. Id say take whatever you want but not too many multiples of the same thing.

I wanted to drop by and catch up before you leave. Glad to hear you had a great Christmas! :)

As for your packing dilemma, I'd pack a little of everything.... that's what we did a couple weeks ago. We had a real temperature swing from hot to cold one day so I was glad that we'd packed some warmer layers. Of course there were the crowds in the stores buying all the fleece hoodies.

Congrats to Kerri on her pregnancy. Sitting out the safari may be playing it a bit safe....but who am I to judge! :rotfl2:

Enjoy your trip! I can't wait to hear about it.

I'm so weird when it comes to packing for the cold weather. I bring all my summer stuff because I much prefer summer clothes over winter, but I make sure I have my cold weather stables like a good sweatshirt, jeans, and gloves. I would just bundle up for blue zoo and wear a cute dress. 45 degrees in florida is not like 45 degrees here - not as damp. No so sure about the shoes. That is a problem. I have been known to wear socks with sandals when its cold and that is a major fashion faux pas, so I wouldn't recommend it. :rotfl2:

You have the magic suitcase - you should be able to pack everything, right? :laughing:

Tough packing decisions, for sure. Personally, because New England is so cold all winter, I've always packed more for warm weather when we've gone in February. Luckily, it was only really cold once while we were there and I wasn't very well packed for it. I did, however, take a jean jacket that I could layer a lot under (I was determined not to wear any real winter gear), sweatshirts, and jeans and long yoga pants. As for going out...I don't know...I'd probably wear sandals and just freeze! :rotfl: Or maybe dressy pants and cute sandals to kinda split the difference?

I haven't been able to keep up but knowing how your PTRs are, I'm sure there were numerous changes, more number crunching, and quite possibly a flight change that I've missed. :rotfl2::rotfl2: :rotfl2::rotfl2:

NO flight change but I did get an $80 credit!

Don't feel bad, I haven't been able to update my own TR in weeks. :faint:

I did want to stop by to wish you safe travels and to have a wonderful time in WDW!!!! :wave2: :wave2:

I know the feeling!!!!!!!!! Thank you Tim :goodvibes

Congrats on your new upcoming niece or nephew! That's exciting!! I hope Kerri can find some rides that "allow" her to ride!

I think she will, my dad has to sit a few out for his heart so they will be a team and Jeff will look out for her DH I am quite sure (even if that means they are at the Ditch).

Hope the weather and everything holds up for you guys! I am anxious to hear how the FP+ and your schedule work as we are now contemplating a trip next year around this time. Not sure if we can pull it off (we don't have a lot of points) but might go close to the 1st for the lower points. Who knows? But as we all sat around yesterday talking, we thought it would be fun!

Me too! Tomorrow looks REALLY soggy but the rest ok. I am anxious about the crowds too but at this point SO ready to get on that plane! in just over 12 hours...

Congrats on the new niece or nephew. I went to the world when I was pregnant with my third son. I rode just about everything but the roller coaster type rides. I guess with the Safari they are worried about the bumpyness of the roadway. If I were in the first trimester I'd ride it, heck even in the early third.

She's very early in the 2nd and yes, it's the bumpiness. I did tradeshows with crazy lifting, hauling, you name it up through my 9th with both boys and would definitely do the Safari but respect her decision if she decides not to. It is cute that out of all the rides she has to sit out she is most bummed about that one. Not true really, I know she was very much looking forward to all the coasters but it's kind of cute about the Safari.

The gps tour guide does not sound like fun.
Sounds like a busy trip and busy times when you got home. You will soon be “home” so that is great.
The plans all sound great.
Hope you had a Merry Christmas and if I don’t make it back hope you have a Happy New Year.

Thanks Scott, Happy New Year to you and Vinny!

I cannot wait to go home! 12 hours!!!!!!! well...more like 12.5 but who is counting!

I would totally freeze the ham now and toss it in the luggage just before you fly! If the ham starts out frozen, as soon as it gets to 30,000 feet it will stay cold, really the cold packs aren't necessary, but you could do it JIC.

After I read this, I tossed it in the freezer!

I've started my PTR, but I'm not going to post it until I finish my other two TRs (this week) but we plan on doing the same thing. Instead of bringing a hunk of meat, we are going to bring sandwich slices from our many turkeys and hams that we have in the freezer because May/June weather lends itself to sandwiches rather than big chunks of meat like the last two trips.

Oh I am so behind on your threads :( I will be better in the new year for sure!

Thought I'm not sure about the cheese, I might add that to the grocery service order, but why waste some good ham? Plus you could save a bit and with 11 folks, I'm sure someone would eat it!

Have a great trip! Hope everything works out for Kerri, that's insane that they think the Safari is too much for her!

I'm not going to bring the cheese, though that's more of a weight issue than anything, it's all adding up! We do have a TON of fruit though and so am going to carryon a bag of that. I wonder if it would do better in the checked luggage as it's colder where the bags are? I hate seeing fruit go bad (apples, bananas, pears, oranges). We will eat as much as we can today as I don't think the bananas will survive unless I carry them on and we eat on the plane but...we will see.

Listen to Alison when it comes to traveling with meat. :rotfl2:

I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was counting on her :thumbsup2

:goodvibes Have a wonderful trip girl. Admittedly I'm so behind and skimming but I'll keep up with FB of any pictures you post, hint hint. ;)

Oh there will be FB pics, you can count on it

Just wanted to stop by to say Have an absolutely Wonderful Trip! You and the family must be besides yourself with excitement. I hope you post pictures every day on FB! You've worked really hard to get ready for this trip so sit back and ENJOY! Your plans look wonderful. On a side note - I want to go to Hawaii just for that view and the mahi sandwich. :rotfl:

That sandwich was AWESOME. Maybe one of the best mahi sandwhiches ever. Far better than the ahi on rye I got at the same place last work trip. SOOOO good! The view was torture, so pretty! At 7am and then I didn't see it again in daylight. WAH! I hope to be back for work in Feb and have GOT to get one day to myself there. It's a mission. There will be FB pictures for sure!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you and the family!
And to you and yours!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow. A lot going on here in just a few short days. Congratulations on a successful whirlwind trip to Hawaii. It would be a little bittersweet to be there and not get a few hours of downtime to experience the island... but at least you've been there a few times recently and you know you'll be back.

I will be back and it is nice to feel like I am starting to know my way around, it makes for much more efficient work days that is for sure.

I'm glad that you were finally able to get tickets linked and work on FP+ for everyone, but this has been my biggest fear and about the FP+ system since it started:

Yes, it's a fear here as well. I figured out why I can't change my parents RRC ride to anything but BAB, it's due to the tiered system. Seems really messed up you can't change a top tier to a 2nd tier ride. It will be interesting to see how it works for Kerri and Eric when they get to the Swan. What I've been told is that at check in, they will get access to a band (or a card) and it should upload to their MDE. That makes me nervous but...it is what it is.

I mean the "great" thing about FP+ is that you can change FP on the fly if you so choose. I can change ADRs a day before I leave home too, but I'm probably not going to be able to change a Chef Mickey ADR to another day or time. I'm glad I saw your comment about not being able to cancel just one. I didn't realize you couldn't do it that way. I'd probably end up with mine being all screwed up! The whole process of friend requests and tying accounts together to make it work just seems like a major PITA.

It is a major pita, the whole F&F thing. Major. You can change just one but it seems to only look for that time slot, versus any openings in your day but you can't book just one, you have to book all 3 or none. It's definitely limited.

And you made a very good point in your last post about having to explain the magic bands to everyone. Nobody understands this system. I mean Dis'ers and dedicated Disney fans kind of understand it, I think. We were watching the Christmas parade and when they were talking about the Magic Bands, DW was asking all kinds of questions about them and asked if we had to get them. I told her what little I know and understand and she just looked at me and asked if we have to do FP+.

Exactly. Kerri really doesn't want them and well, we don't really have a choice anymore.

Ok, sorry... back to your trip. :rolleyes Congratulations to Kerri! I didn't really understand the pregnancy restriction on Safari either, but if you think about how bumpy it is... I guess I can understand it. Maybe. :confused3 Have a great trip!!!

I think that's overkill but I guess I can understand why they are paranoid. But potholes on the roads at home could be as bad :rotfl2:

Hello! Merry Christmas! I was wondering if this trip was still a go, as there wasn't a peep about it on FB, so I figured I'd take a gander over here. Still have lots of catching up to do, but wanted to say Merry Christmas and hope you have a wonderful trip! :goodvibes

You'll start to see FB posts probably tonight :goodvibes I hope you had a wonderful Christmas Tina!

That was Tag Fairy worthy right there. Jill in CO

It SOOO was!

Wouldn't that be fun?! C'mon fairy, pretty please, I need an Alison meat tag. :teeth: :lmao:

I need a meat tag. A cheese tag. A wine tag. A....any tag [

QUOTE=rentayenta;50332444]No capris for me in the winter but I will bring a pair of flip flops. Layering is key. Florida looks warm though and you may not run cold like I do.[/QUOTE]

One???? One pair of flip flops? I run cold. Jeff calls me nanook of the north. I had my long sleeves on in Hawaii at night on the work trip. I have layers, it's the shoes that are hard. I despise tennis shoes with jeans, won't do it. I do have a pair that aren't work out shoes that I got for Alaska and wear to soccer games but have been on the fence off and on about bringing them. I don't want to wear them but know if I don't bring them...I'll wish I had. UGH. I also am on the fence about my keens...in rain they are by far the best sandal.

Yes, lots of layers in winter. Shorts in the day and jeans at night three weeks ago, so I would take the capris. You have the washing machine in the villa so you really dont need to take duplicates of jeans or capris. You can always throw in a load whenever. Id say take whatever you want but not too many multiples of the same thing.

Thanks...I pulled the 2nd pair of jeans and capri's. You are right. I do have more than 1 pair of shorts though. LOL!

I wanted to drop by and catch up before you leave. Glad to hear you had a great Christmas! :)

We did! Yours looked lovely :goodvibes

As for your packing dilemma, I'd pack a little of everything.... that's what we did a couple weeks ago. We had a real temperature swing from hot to cold one day so I was glad that we'd packed some warmer layers. Of course there were the crowds in the stores buying all the fleece hoodies.

We had a day like that on our Feb trip in 09, from 80 to 48. I do miss the ease of a spring/summer trip for packing though, boy it takes up less space and weight!

Congrats to Kerri on her pregnancy. Sitting out the safari may be playing it a bit safe....but who am I to judge! :rotfl2:

I think she will play it safe, they did have a miscarriage and having been through that myself I can understand being conservative.

Enjoy your trip! I can't wait to hear about it.
We will!!! 12 hours...

I'm so weird when it comes to packing for the cold weather. I bring all my summer stuff because I much prefer summer clothes over winter, but I make sure I have my cold weather stables like a good sweatshirt, jeans, and gloves. I would just bundle up for blue zoo and wear a cute dress. 45 degrees in florida is not like 45 degrees here - not as damp. No so sure about the shoes. That is a problem. I have been known to wear socks with sandals when its cold and that is a major fashion faux pas, so I wouldn't recommend it. :rotfl2:

Now, cute dress...and bundle up don't really go togehter :rotfl2: I have a few options, none I absolutely love but it will be ok. I am definitely over-thinking that one. Socks with Sandals????????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You have the magic suitcase - you should be able to pack everything, right? :laughing:

HA! First, and devastatingly, the magic suitcase has been so abused there is a slight tear in it. I will probably try to get a couple more trips out of it but we will see. Second, it's too small for this trip. I'm packing 2 pound of coffee, 2 bottles of rum, packets of cocoa & cider, mayo, mustard, peanut butter, oatmeal, taco and french toast seasonings, sugar, laundry soap, a pop up hamper, ponchos plus my own stuff. I am using a ginormous bag that as of last night we realized has a small zipper issue as well. I used it to haul all the gifts to Hawaii and because it's light weight it works well for this. But it may well be it's last trip anywhere. I'd been meaning to buy the large version of the magical bag and hadn't yet but will need to after this trip.

Tough packing decisions, for sure. Personally, because New England is so cold all winter, I've always packed more for warm weather when we've gone in February. Luckily, it was only really cold once while we were there and I wasn't very well packed for it. I did, however, take a jean jacket that I could layer a lot under (I was determined not to wear any real winter gear), sweatshirts, and jeans and long yoga pants. As for going out...I don't know...I'd probably wear sandals and just freeze! :rotfl: Or maybe dressy pants and cute sandals to kinda split the difference?

Jean jackts are cute but oh, they are not warm! I have a hoodie, a fleece, a vest and one thin sweater and can layer as needed so I think I'll be ok. I also have my rain jacket as if it pours as much as it looks like it will tomorrow I'd rather be in that than a poncho.

After I read this, I tossed it in the freezer!

I was thinking about you yesterday and realized that you guys are taking the red eye and not going immediately to your room, so in that case I would put the cooler packs in if you have the space/weight available. Since your bags might sit for a while, better to be safe than sorry!

I was thinking about you yesterday and realized that you guys are taking the red eye and not going immediately to your room, so in that case I would put the cooler packs in if you have the space/weight available. Since your bags might sit for a while, better to be safe than sorry!
Yes, I have frozen bagels, a frozen loaf of bread, apples and oranges and the ham which are all going to go into an insulated tote with a cooler sheet. :) I hasn't planned on bringing the fruit but we have so much on hand I hate to toss it out.

Bread products in the resort stores are normally,average grocery prices.You may want to trade off packing them for something else that may cost more.

Bread products in the resort stores are normally,average grocery prices.You may want to trade off packing them for something else that may cost more.
The bread and bagel aren't about saving money, they are for the time between landing and when we go to the real grocery store and not spending any time hitting the resort one. If I need to I will leave the bread home for space reasons. In my experience though the bread seemed a good dollar more and pretty limited selection, don't recall in the bagels though.

Just talked to Andy. They've had a lot of MB issues, but each got 6 Fastpasses for the hassles. Said it IS crowded.

Jean jackts are cute but oh, they are not warm! I have a hoodie, a fleece, a vest and one thin sweater and can layer as needed so I think I'll be ok. I also have my rain jacket as if it pours as much as it looks like it will tomorrow I'd rather be in that than a poncho.

Speaking of jean jackets not being warm...I distinctly recall standing under one of the fire posts during Illuminations, being very grateful for being so close to the fire!

Not thinking expense, just thinking if you had to make a choice on packing space. No offense. By the way I don`t know about bagels I`m from NC no use for bagels.:rotfl2: Have Fun!!!!

I had a packing dilemma too !!! I figured on December being a whole lot cooler than it was sooo I over packed warmer clothes !!:lmao::lmao:At least in May I will know better !! I will however pack for rain !!!:lmao:

Here's my input on packing for January.

Shoes - When I think of shoes I think of something that's not a flip flop and can be worn in cold. I normally bring no more than two pairs. I hate to overpack if the weather is not cold, but also don't want to not be prepared.

Jeans - I always bring 2 - 3 pairs.

Shorts / Capris - I don't wear them during that time of year even if it's warmer, but I would suggest 2 - 3 pairs.

I bring two sweatshirts and one jacket normally. A few long sleeved shirts. I find layering to be more effective.

Just a suggestion, only because I've been there when the weather has snapped and it's unpleasant. Bring a hat, gloves, and scarf. I know it sounds stupid, and I've taken then and not used them before, but have been more than happy to have them when the weather changed.

Just talked to Andy. They've had a lot of MB issues, but each got 6 Fastpasses for the hassles. Said it IS crowded.

Ugh on the issues but yay on the extra fast passes. I saw a few ugly pictures today, not surprising on the crowds

Wishing you safe travels and a magical trip!! Hope all the FP+ and MB "stuff" works out for you!

Thanks Sheree!

Speaking of jean jackets not being warm...I distinctly recall standing under one of the fire posts during Illuminations, being very grateful for being so close to the fire!

I will remember that tip!

Not thinking expense, just thinking if you had to make a choice on packing space. No offense. By the way I don`t know about bagels I`m from NC no use for bagels.:rotfl2: Have Fun!!!!

None taken :) and thanks!!! They aren't great bagels mind you but the kids don't care

I had a packing dilemma too !!! I figured on December being a whole lot cooler than it was sooo I over packed warmer clothes !!:lmao::lmao:At least in May I will know better !! I will however pack for rain !!!:lmao:

I have a little bit of ever hung and then some so am hopefully ok. Figuring out shoes of rain is not fun.

Safe travels and have an amazing trip!!!!

Thanks Pam!!!

Here's my input on packing for January. Shoes - When I think of shoes I think of something that's not a flip flop and can be worn in cold. I normally bring no more than two pairs. I hate to overpack if the weather is not cold, but also don't want to not be prepared. Jeans - I always bring 2 - 3 pairs. Shorts / Capris - I don't wear them during that time of year even if it's warmer, but I would suggest 2 - 3 pairs. I bring two sweatshirts and one jacket normally. A few long sleeved shirts. I find layering to be more effective. Just a suggestion, only because I've been there when the weather has snapped and it's unpleasant. Bring a hat, gloves, and scarf. I know it sounds stupid, and I've taken then and not used them before, but have been more than happy to have them when the weather changed.

See that's hard! A shoe that isn't a flip flop or a sandal but isn't a tennis shoe but can be worn in cold...

I have a baseball type hat I can use in rain but it isn't warm, I do have glove and a scarf :)

they look forced and miserable don't they?

Yes... :rotfl2:

Brutal! I wanted to be down at that lagoon SO bad!

I bet!

I was SO bitter about the run. Heck, I still am. Besides, I wanted to break in my new skirt! :rotfl:

Did you get a chance? Plan to bring it with you and try it out?

Oh my goodness, between the not tracking when we'd land, forgetting what the time difference was, freaking out over turbulence...I felt bad I did but they (she) were a bit ADD for sure!

:rotfl2:

I am bringing a bit of everything, which does make for a larger load but with swings from 48-76 I think we need it. I find shoes to be the biggest challenge at this time of year in Florida, I can't stand wearing tennis shoes with jeans, but open toe options will be too cold at night. Hard to find the right item! My sister and I were complaining it's our biggest packing challenge. Hopefully I've packed for all possibilities, I do not want to buy something simply because I am cold.

I think shoes are hard... the take up so much room to pack, but really unlike guys - us gals need different shoes for different outfits as well as for different weather scenarios.

UGH is right! Jeff looked at me last night (because the man lives under a ROCK) and was like "you've booked our fast passes? Why?"

:confused3

:faint: Yeah... I doubt my dh has much clue either.

I made the mistake of telling him we really need to put the app on his phone so he can see the times and it went downhill from there. I can see it now. Christmas Day and I'm syncing everyone's phones. DHS was a huge problem. I was able to copy MK, Epcot and AK to Mel and her kids no issue. And that even included Epcot on NYE! But DHS??? No. I moved our times around, finally was able to copy theirs over and had it mostly set though it slid our whole day back. Which was ok, and something I'd been thinking about doing anyway. But my poor parents, who don't want to go on RRC, had ZERO options to switch to. I think part of it is a system glitch, if you want to replace one FP, it seems to only look for that exact time, not anything else open all day that doesn't conflict with your other bookings, which it should. I moved the RRC time around a bunch and still could only ever see BAB as an alternative option. I'll keep trying but we will be hitting a kiosk I guess or maybe at check in they can help? Ugh.

I hope it ends up working out for you. It all seems like quite the challenge without so many people.... but you have quite the number of people to manage.

We LOVE Olivia's! The boys wanted to do it with the larger group but honestly getting there can be a little tricky if not staying at OKW so I moved it to our family night.

I wonder if I should try and make an ADR... I had planned to and now dh is thinking that we should just play it by ear. I guess we will just have to hope it isn't full on the day we hope to go.

Breaking news!!! Kerri will not be drinking around the world, she will be snacking!

I'm going to be an aunt again!

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Congrats!!!

Kerri's tickets came so we got them "sort of" linked yesterday. She is linked and set up and can book FP's for the 4th and the 5th but right now her DH isn't linked to her so she can't book for both of them. But, with the pregnancy there is a lot she can't go on now (overkill on some of them if you ask me...safari????) so not sure that she will book any. So funny (not) but I swear both she and my mom totally didn't get why my parents have bands for the first part of the trip and Kerri and her DH only for the 2nd. Um...because I fudged you being on our reservations so you could get bands and DME that's why. They kept thinking it was because Kerri didn't have her tickets yet. :confused3 I feel like the teacher in Charlie Brown. :rotfl2: I actually grabbed Jeff's's phone xmas eve and installed the app so he can see where he is supposed to be. He doesn't get it at all, really kind of driving me nuts!

I sometimes wonder how our families would get along without us!* I am glad her tickets came in and you could book the fp+

Right now the forecast is calling for 90% chance of rain and thunderstorms on Sunday...arrival day and CP. It does look like rain more in the early day than night but hard to say right now. really debating my boots as they can take the rain and are uber comfortable. However it only has a low of 59 that day...lower the rest of the week. That and what the heck to wear for Blue Zoo (which is showing a low of 45 at night) have me keep changing my mind!

Thoughts?

I'd also love to know, from the ladies in particular, for YOU on a winter variable weather trip how much of the following do you bring?

Shoes
Jeans
Capri's
Shorts
Sundress/dress
Tank
Tee
Sweatshirt/Fleece/Sweater or Jacket
:goodvibes

I split up the jeans and capris and bring half of the bottoms I need for each. I don't bring shorts for me... but for dd I do. I don't bring tanks. I bring a several sweatshirts and no long sleeve tops. Shoes are hard... I bring too many regardless of weather. I may bring one or two skirts but no sundresses.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter