Working with dad on a cruise for next year...UPDATED

Rock'n Robin

Disney Queen
I've posted before about my dad wanting to take everyone on a family cruise for their 50th anniversary next year. Well this week I got a quote from DU. Today we are taking that to AAA (if you knew my dad you would know one estimate is never enough) to see what they say--not showing them the DU one, but being able to compare it.
Mom is still reticent about choosing Disney because she doesn't think my sister and hubby would like it as much as we would. She is also worried about kenneling her dog (normally she stays with me or my sister). But when she travels she worries about everything anyhow.
I've already established that we will pay for our own air (insurance and transfers are included in the estimate per dad's request), excursions, booze, etc.--basically our tab on the ship.
I did look into RCL at mom's request but they didn't have anything to book past next April! Me, my sister and my BIL are all teachers (plus the anniv. is in July) so it has to be summer.
Wish me luck!
Robin M.

She is also worried about kenneling her dog

We have never put our dog in the kennel. WE have always had someone stay at our house. Usually it is someone we know, but we have used agencies in the past (that are bonded) and have had no problems. THis way the dog is happy and our house is safe also. No need to stop mail or newspaper also.

Mom is still reticent about choosing Disney because she doesn't think my sister and hubby would like it as much as we would.

Have them watch the travel channel's special on DCL. When I go, I love to be able to do all the adult things with DD in the club. No kids are around. Sometimes it's hard to believe your on a Disney ship!

Good luck convincing them!

Your mom may want to check with her vet. A lot of times someone that works for the vet will stay at your house and house and dog sit. At least there is someone at my vet. It works out great..

She has had people stay before and it usually works out, but she has to worry about it. I will just let my neighbor girl take care of our dog--last year for the first part of our WDW trip my parents were with us, and the neighbor spoiled him rotten, walking him several times a day. Even now when he sees her he runs over in their yard and immediately rolls on his back so she can scratch his belly!
Robin M.

Good luck, Robin! We did this last year for my parents' 50th and everyone had a great time (even the non-Disneyphiles in the family)!

Our family (8 adults, plus a 10-yo, 2 13-yos, and a 15-yo) and another family (also celebrating a 50th anniversary, with another 7 adults and some younger kids) spent our days on our own or in various small groups, doing whatever everyone felt like doing, and we all met up at dinner every evening.

There was truly something for everyone! I hope it works out for you!

Well it's looking good! Dad sprung it on my sister today and she took my DCL passporter--I told her I'd order a new one (if we are cruising again I guess I'll need it!!) so I hope I can get it before our little cruise--she promised to come in next weekend and bring it back if I can't.
She said she's always wanted to see Key West, and wants to show her daughters the Tulun ruins since they went there on their honeymoon (yeah, every 15 year old wants to see where her parents went on her honeymoon!). She even showed the teen section to her oldest.
jds, my dad wants to go to Palo the night we celebrate their anniversary, was anything special done for your parents?
Robin M.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter