Worried about taking advantage of the system

As a species, we are a judgemental bunch. This internal conversation became easier to me when I flipped it around a bit. If someone random person described the situation, would I feel they were abusing it? If yes, then it wouldn't be fair for me to request anything special... but if I would feel like that person needed the extra hand, then I shouldn't feel guilty about having it either.
This also helped when we did get my son a DAS for some lines he has serious problems with. It let us look at our other kids and say "this one is a fair use but booking every thrill ride in the park back-to-back while we go through other lines/rides between DAS rides is not." Even if it's technically allowed, we kept ourselves within some moral guidelines. It might be needed for some, but the pass is also very overpowered for most which is why so many hem and haw so much about whether it seems right. But anything that you would think sounded reasonable for others to use it for is reasonable for you to use it for.

I've always felt the same way. When is it "enough "?, so I understand completely. There are a lot of great answers here.

Another option is to try for the DAS, but not use it on good days/times of day. For those of us that grapple with that whole do I NEED it feeling, it can be a way to help balance it in your mind. I know it's easy to say oh, don't worry about that sort of thing, but my brain doesn't always listen.

If you are honest with the cast member when applying for DAS, and accurately describe your situation and what is hard about standing in a traditional queue… you are not taking advantage.

So many of us with disabilities try to rise above so much in life that we forget that other people don’t have to work so hard to do the same thing. Disney is trying to make your life just a little bit easier. (Not easier than a typical guest, just easier than the hard that is your normal).

If you are honest with the cast member when applying for DAS, and accurately describe your situation and what is hard about standing in a traditional queue… you are not taking advantage.

So many of us with disabilities try to rise above so much in life that we forget that other people don’t have to work so hard to do the same thing. Disney is trying to make your life just a little bit easier. (Not easier than a typical guest, just easier than the hard that is your normal).
There's been a great disparity between CMs accepting certain issues or not, from what I've seen here and on other websites. So it's not really "oh the CM granted me DAS so I must really qualify" at all times. And getting told no online and getting the DAS in the park seems to be possible as well? But I agree that people can forget how hard it is to just make it through a day, and no one should feel ashamed to request DAS if the need is there.

My grandson has to have it in MK. Although he loves MK rides … the struggle is real. He has a hard time waiting in line for the DAS on day 1. The MK train stop near the check in point is a poor location for those with sensory issues.
Epcot has a calming vibe so he does much better waiting in lines.
As late as September we got DS at the Guest Services right next to Hall of Presidents. It is quiet inside and we've rarely had to wait more than a few minutes. CMs there have always been so helpful in getting it done and booking our first return time.

OP I know how you feel. My DS would most likely qualify but under a medical condition. (Type 1 diabetic) Would it have made it easier? Defnitely, but we didn’t “need” it so we never got it. He never even realized he could get it( even as an adult) I personally didnt want him using his condition as a crutch because I felt it was better for him in life experience. Every situation is different and I think the DAS system is awesome for those who need it. I just didn’t feel it was right for us. Maybe get it and use it per situation. If he’s having a bad day or for an especially long or overwhelming queue, and on good days try to do some waits and see how it goes. Good luck and have an awesome trip

Adding another $.02 from my perspective. I've been disabled the vast majority of my life and everyone approaches things differently. There is no right or wrong answer but I will say that the world in general is not forgiving. There is no amount of accommodation that will entirely make up for the hurdles those with disabilities have to overcome. My approach is to use what is available and don't for a second feel guilty about it. These accommodations exist to be used and as I said before, they aren't a finite resource that you are taking from someone else when you use them.

How do I know if we REALLY need DAS? We have been to WDW several times with our family and have never used it. Although, we didn’t really know about it.

I am considering asking for one for my oldest daughter. She gets overwhelmed very easily. Sensory issues, like noise, lights, and crowds. But even having to make decisions or plans changing upset her. I do the ink having a DAS would be beneficial to her. But she COULD and has done WDW without it.

FWIW, probably several of us qualify. I have Crohn’s and one year at WDW I was in a horrible flare. DAS would have been a lifesaver. I also have a child with ADHD who has a lot of sensory issues as well. He could probably use one and a few years ago it would have made a big difference for him. The fact that several of us could most likely get a pass makes me feel a bit less guilty.

I really do think my DD (and others of us) qualifies. But I can’t shake this guilt that I’m taking advantage of the system. We have done WDW without it. However it would certainly make our trip much less stressful and overwhelming. I guess my question is how to know whether our difficult is “enough?”
My granddaughter has anxiety panic disorder and sensory issues that crop up in loud closed in environments.
One way this effects us in line - if closed in and loud either with people or music etc, she would get real emotional bc she feels overwhelmed, so we would gave to exit. So short lines, no problems, although she does use headphones. But much over a 20 wait- she probably wouldn't get to ride, bc she would need to get to somewhere quieter and reset. Obviously wouldn't get many rides if any done.
Anxiety/panic. Especially on things haven't done before. The anxiety builds and builds and eventually comes out as tears usually. So wait and then tears and then can't ride, which then makes her mad at herself - not very magical.

But with DAS, we can do calming things while we wait for our turn, snack, shop, people watch, or maybe a short wait time ride nearby. Lines are short so the anxiety doesn't have time to build. She has a good time!

Don't worry about other people. As far as the general public know, you have a LL, or a recovery pass, or maybe you are a VIP. Just tap in and go.

If doing it online is intimidating, do it in person on your arrival day before going to the parks. Guest services at Epcot International Gateway ( get there by skyliner or the friendship boats from Boardwalk area) are outside the gates; wasnt busy in evening; It was quick and easy for us. If you are always going to ride together, you can just get the DAS for you or your daughter.

You can even take a note:
My daughter's anxiety panic disorder and sensory issues will affect her waiting in line by: reason 1, reason 2

Also, I have a medical condition that requires me quick acess to the bathroom. I cannot wait in a long line due to this issue.

Do you have any questions for me?

From what you said in your post, your child should qualify with no issues. It isn't wrong to use accommodations that are offered for her safety and comfort.

My granddaughter has anxiety panic disorder and sensory issues that crop up in loud closed in environments.
One way this effects us in line - if closed in and loud either with people or music etc, she would get real emotional bc she feels overwhelmed, so we would gave to exit. So short lines, no problems, although she does use headphones. But much over a 20 wait- she probably wouldn't get to ride, bc she would need to get to somewhere quieter and reset. Obviously wouldn't get many rides if any done.
Anxiety/panic. Especially on things haven't done before. The anxiety builds and builds and eventually comes out as tears usually. So wait and then tears and then can't ride, which then makes her mad at herself - not very magical.

But with DAS, we can do calming things while we wait for our turn, snack, shop, people watch, or maybe a short wait time ride nearby. Lines are short so the anxiety doesn't have time to build. She has a good time!

Don't worry about other people. As far as the general public know, you have a LL, or a recovery pass, or maybe you are a VIP. Just tap in and go.

If doing it online is intimidating, do it in person on your arrival day before going to the parks. Guest services at Epcot International Gateway ( get there by skyliner or the friendship boats from Boardwalk area) are outside the gates; wasnt busy in evening; It was quick and easy for us. If you are always going to ride together, you can just get the DAS for you or your daughter.

You can even take a note:
My daughter's anxiety panic disorder and sensory issues will affect her waiting in line by: reason 1, reason 2

Also, I have a medical condition that requires me quick acess to the bathroom. I cannot wait in a long line due to this issue.

Do you have any questions for me?

From what you said in your post, your child should qualify with no issues. It isn't wrong to use accommodations that are offered for her safety and comfort.
My son is the same. ADHD with anxiety and sensory issues. When we did Universal and long lines meant he cycled into a negative spiral and had a very hard time coping. It took some of the enjoyment out of the experience for him, us, and maybe a few around us waiting in line. I'm considering asking for DAS too, but it's a grey area,he could do short lines but longer than 20 minutes and it will begin.

My son is the same. ADHD with anxiety and sensory issues. When we did Universal and long lines meant he cycled into a negative spiral and had a very hard time coping. It took some of the enjoyment out of the experience for him, us, and maybe a few around us waiting in line. I'm considering asking for DAS too, but it's a grey area,he could do short lines but longer than 20 minutes and it will begin.
Having it doesn't mean you have to use it every ride. It's something to have as an option. It's now in the app, just like picking a Genie +, or ILL. We didn't use it everything, just anything too long for her to handle. It's just a tool. Somebody else's kid might be restless or whiny in a line, or get grumpy. But that isn't the same as overwhelming anxiety or feeling out of control from all the sounds that are amplified to her. She doesn't perceive the environment the same as me; I'm just using the tool to give her similar experience as average kid. It's supposed to be fun, not something to be endured.

As far as Universal goes, we just did the pricy express pass, and that kept the lines less than 30, mostly 15 min or so. They have a DAS equivalent there, but it seemed more complicated. It was a paper you took to ride, then they gave you time, and you came back. Then still had to wait in express pass line.

OP I know how you feel. My DS would most likely qualify but under a medical condition. (Type 1 diabetic) Would it have made it easier? Defnitely, but we didn’t “need” it so we never got it. He never even realized he could get it( even as an adult) I personally didnt want him using his condition as a crutch because I felt it was better for him in life experience. Every situation is different and I think the DAS system is awesome for those who need it. I just didn’t feel it was right for us. Maybe get it and use it per situation. If he’s having a bad day or for an especially long or overwhelming queue, and on good days try to do some waits and see how it goes. Good luck and have an awesome trip
DAS isn't given by diagnosis, though, so having Type 1 diabetes doesn't automatically give you DAS. You've proven that by not getting it and still having access to attractions. I think this is what frustrates me the most - and this is not your fault, please don't think I'm frustrated with anything you've posted here - tone is hard to get across for me. I've checked out other forums online, and they are all about diagnoses and "being entitled" to get DAS. I don't see that here at all, including this thread, but the entitlement attitude on other forums drives me crazy. Not everyone with Down Syndrome, autism, anxiety (that would be me), diabetes, MS, digestive issues (me again), cancer diagnosis (me again) or any other condition is the same - not everyone would need DAS. I didn't for years, but now I can access the attractions more successfully when using DAS. It did take an ambulance ride to the ER to get me to admit I could use the assistance, but I'm stubborn like that sometimes.

DAS isn't given by diagnosis, though, so having Type 1 diabetes doesn't automatically give you DAS. You've proven that by not getting it and still having access to attractions. I think this is what frustrates me the most - and this is not your fault, please don't think I'm frustrated with anything you've posted here - tone is hard to get across for me. I've checked out other forums online, and they are all about diagnoses and "being entitled" to get DAS. I don't see that here at all, including this thread, but the entitlement attitude on other forums drives me crazy. Not everyone with Down Syndrome, autism, anxiety (that would be me), diabetes, MS, digestive issues (me again), cancer diagnosis (me again) or any other condition is the same - not everyone would need DAS. I didn't for years, but now I can access the attractions more successfully when using DAS. It did take an ambulance ride to the ER to get me to admit I could use the assistance, but I'm stubborn like that sometimes.
People who think it is about entitlement don't understand being disabled.

People who think it is about entitlement don't understand being disabled.
I believe the point the PP was trying to make was how two guests with the same diagnosis may have different needs, with one able to access attractions without DAS but the other unable to access attractions without DAS. DAS is need-based and not diagnosis-based. It is common to see posts about "my child has diagnosis X and deserves a DAS" or "I have diagnosis Z why didn't they give me DAS?"

I think this is kinda what I was saying. (I don’t always come across right either) I could have easily made a case why DS needed DAS but really he didn’t. We had to learn how to handle waiting in line and be prepared with extra testing and snacks. While I do think it’s a great program, we didn’t “need” it. OP has done it without DAS but with several challenges. I can just relate to the way they feel and I’m sure they would benefit from using DAS at least some of the time but on good days or shorter lines maybe take opportunities for teaching coping skills (if it’s appropriate for their situation) only OP knows what is right for their family.

As late as September we got DS at the Guest Services right next to Hall of Presidents. It is quiet inside and we've rarely had to wait more than a few minutes. CMs there have always been so helpful in getting it done and booking our first return time.
Thanks, this might be a good option. Although sometimes we have trouble going near the castle due to fireworks location. Every trip he seems to get better tolerating sensory issues so it’s always good to have a plan B and C

If you have any condition that makes waiting significantly more difficult than average, you shouldn’t feel guilty about using a disability pass.

We did without a disability pass for years when taking my grandson with autism to WDW. When he was eight, we decided we needed one and went to Guest Relations. But first we had to straighten out some issue we had with an AP. While we did that, said grandson was loose from his oversized stroller and tried to run off, hand printed the Guest Relations window, wriggled, made a lot of random noises, and generally acted up. After ten minutes of that, Guest Relations gave us the pass without even asking what the issue was.

As it turns out, we rarely use the pass. The grandson’s favorite attractions tend to be the less popular ones. He loves Nemo and Imagination. The parking tram is, as far as he’s concerned, the best ride ever. When we do get a pass for a popular ride, we often, after looking at the Lightning Lane queue, decide it’s too long for us to manage just then. The most useful feature of the disability pass is that you can come back any time rather than in a limited return window. Even though we don’t use the disability pass very much, we find it that it smooths the park experience.

I think maybe I'm not being blunt enough in my approach here so I'm just going to say it. Disney is a multi billion dollar corporation that you are paying thousands of dollars to enjoy their park. Using DAS does not in any way inconvenience other park goers or take away from anyone else using DAS. Having a disability is tough and the world is harsh, take what you can when it doesn't hurt anyone else. I'm in the "obviously disabled" camp so I would never get a side eye for using DAS but even if you do, its none of anyone's business why or how you got DAS.

I appreciate those here that are parents working to teach their children to be independent and that is a totally different situation (and bravo to each of you, your job is thankless). But for grown adults, take what is available and use it without guilt.

An example if it helps. Handicapped parking. I have hang tags and license plates to use it wherever I go. I need it for space to assemble my wheelchair when I get out of my vehicle. I don't need it for any other reason (like distance to the door). If there are spaces in the back of a parking lot where there is space for me to assemble, I'll use those most of the time instead. This is because handicapped parking is limited. Each space I consume, is a space that someone else can't use who may need it because they can't walk from the back of the parking lot. I certainly can and do use the spots a lot but I try to be conscientious of my use because it is a limited resource. DAS is not limited. Anyone and everyone who can, should get DAS and use it to have a better time at the park.

I think maybe I'm not being blunt enough in my approach here so I'm just going to say it. Disney is a multi billion dollar corporation that you are paying thousands of dollars to enjoy their park. Using DAS does not in any way inconvenience other park goers or take away from anyone else using DAS. Having a disability is tough and the world is harsh, take what you can when it doesn't hurt anyone else. I'm in the "obviously disabled" camp so I would never get a side eye for using DAS but even if you do, its none of anyone's business why or how you got DAS.

DAS is not limited. Anyone and everyone who can, should get DAS and use it to have a better time at the park.
Everyone who goes to WDW is paying thousands of dollars to go there - so that logic isn't making the point, IMO. DAS does increase the LL wait time for those who have paid for it, and lessens the wait for others in the standby queue.

I agree that having a disability is tough (just spent 5+ hours in the ER with my anxiety/panic out of control, thought it was a heart attack, but I'm okay) but DAS is not for mobility issues, so how someone "looks" isn't part of the DAS. It's based on not being able to access an attraction by using the standard queue.

I think your last sentence needs to be tweaked to read "if anyone can't access attractions through waiting in the standard queue, they should apply for DAS to have a better time at the park".

DAS does increase the LL wait time for those who have paid for it, and lessens the wait for others in the standby queue.
Across the course of a day in a park there is no statistically significant increase by shifting the very small number of people who have DAS from one line to the other. Yes, in an individual case there are 1 to 6 more people in front of someone in the LL but considering the throughput of the rides it just isn’t significant. Also keep in mind most of the ride lines feed to the same vehicle loading point (with some exceptions) so there it matters even less. And the DAS riders have waited just like standby, just in a modified way. No one is hurt or inconvenienced by someone using DAS even if they just full on hustled their way into it and have no need.

Across the course of a day in a park there is no statistically significant increase by shifting the very small number of people who have DAS from one line to the other. Yes, in an individual case there are 1 to 6 more people in front of someone in the LL but considering the throughput of the rides it just isn’t significant. Also keep in mind most of the ride lines feed to the same vehicle loading point (with some exceptions) so there it matters even less. And the DAS riders have waited just like standby, just in a modified way. No one is hurt or inconvenienced by someone using DAS even if they just full on hustled their way into it and have no need.
Exactly; it's actually LESS as one waits virtually in standby and then enters the LL line; so the impact of DAS on any actual physical waiting overall decreases the demand on said capacity.

While it may affect the folk accessing LL at that moment; the overall impact of DAS is actually lower as a whole.

DAS doesn't skip the lines. You're waiting virtually, with less disruption to fellow park goers (have them endure a full on meltdown of my DS in the middle of a 10 switchback webslingers queue will probably ruin most neurotypicals mood.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter