Worried about taking advantage of the system

Across the course of a day in a park there is no statistically significant increase by shifting the very small number of people who have DAS from one line to the other.
Actually, I believe Disney has proof of the opposite. It was one reason they changed from GAC to DAS. Too many people in the (then) FP queue was impacting attraction operations. It really doesn't matter if one actually waits virtually or directly enters that queue, the more people who have access to it will eventually impact operations.

DAS is not available to just every disability; it is for those who are unable to access an attraction through the standard queue or alternative accessible entrance. Other disabilities are accommodated by physically accessible entrances or other means specific to the disability.

That said... back to the OP's topic... I encourage any individual who feels they have challenges accessing attractions via the regular (standby) queue to speak with Guest Relations. That may be the video chat in advance or onsite. Anyone who needs DAS should not feel they are taking away from anyone.

Actually, I believe Disney has proof of the opposite. It was one reason they changed from GAC to DAS. Too many people in the (then) FP queue was impacting attraction operations. It really doesn't matter if one actually waits virtually or directly enters that queue, the more people who have access to it will eventually impact operations.

DAS is not available to just every disability; it is for those who are unable to access an attraction through the standard queue or alternative accessible entrance. Other disabilities are accommodated by physically accessible entrances or other means specific to the disability.

That said... back to the OP's topic... I encourage any individual who feels they have challenges accessing attractions via the regular (standby) queue to speak with Guest Relations. That may be the video chat in advance or onsite. Anyone who needs DAS should not feel they are taking away from anyone.
GAC was VERY different from DAS and was prone to abuse by select few with the front of the line.

We felt quite uncomfortable in using the GAC back in the day and were quiet happy to have DAS implemented and thought it was a very fair system despite complaints from a vocal few of losing the GAC.

Can it impact the LL? Sure. I'd say the sheer # of G+ and ILL far outweigh DAS holders. When we went to DL last week and RS LL was backed to Flo's, we did certainly don't think that was due to DAS and we reset our DAS for the swings despite letting 90minutes lapse out on the wait time. So it goes.

If you can point to Disney having information on DAS negatively impacting ride performance times, would love to see it.

The failed lawsuit is, I believe, A.L. v. Walt Disney Parks & Resorts US, Inc. If you look that up it will include the study that Disney did. However, that was under the GAC system which was the precursor to the DAS system. That I know of, Disney has not done a study under the DAS system and since the implementation of the paid fast pass system that exists now. Because of the high cost (especially of the individual LL selections as well as the fact that no standby line exists for GotG) it would not surprise me if those numbers in the study would be the same or even increased now. Who knows, but something to think about.

That being said, if you qualify for the system under the criteria as it exists, and are honest and accurate when applying for DAS, I really wouldn’t worry about taking advantage of the system.

Here is the thing. If you are unsure if you need DAS, try and go without it and see how it goes. If things go badly, then you have a good story to tell the CM at Guest Relations who asks you what the difficulties with waiting in line look like.

On our first trip to WDW, we didn't get a DAS. Within 2 hours of arriving at MK, and having to exit 2 lines, with my 5 year old son laid out, melting down literally in the middle of the walkway in Fantasyland, I decided enough was enough. We were given a DAS (I guess it was technically the GAC back then) and enjoyed the rest of our trip.

Even then, the DAS is not some magic bullet. We have still had to make a quick exit on several occasions when the day is just not going well.

We went for years without even knowing DD could get DAS (Autism, Asperger's..amongst other things). We just dealt with the tantrums, anxiety issues, etc. One recent year we went to GS to activate an AP and I hesitantly inquired and it was given it to her. The rest of our trip felt like an entirely different experience. Now we can sit somewhere quiet and calm and wait till its our return time. I keep a book on my phone, get a drink, or people watch instead of having to bring her anxiety down and trying to keep her from insisting on going back to the room. I still feel guilty for passing others in the regular line but our use of it is justified. We will continue to request it as long as it is offered, and appreciate that Disney recognizes people with neurological issues.

The failed lawsuit is, I believe, A.L. v. Walt Disney Parks & Resorts US, Inc. If you look that up it will include the study that Disney did. However, that was under the GAC system which was the precursor to the DAS system. That I know of, Disney has not done a study under the DAS system and since the implementation of the paid fast pass system that exists now. Because of the high cost (especially of the individual LL selections as well as the fact that no standby line exists for GotG) it would not surprise me if those numbers in the study would be the same or even increased now. Who knows, but something to think about.

https://media.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/files/202012720.pdf

This lawsuit is not GAC. It is DAS, but the (free) Fastpass system. I would agree that the numbers are probably more meaningful in a paid system. I also wonder if Disney banned the people who sued, I would.

If you can point to Disney having information on DAS negatively impacting ride performance times, would love to see it.
GAC was VERY different from DAS and was prone to abuse by select few with the front of the line.
Disney doesn't release that information. The information about the disability program impacting attraction operations is specific to GAC but don't fool yourself into thinking DAS is significantly different with a negligible impact. The more people who feel they "deserve" DAS regardless of needs, the greater the impact to attraction operations. Anyone who thinks DAS is not prone to abuse -- particularly now with G+ and ILL$ -- is being naive.

This lawsuit is not GAC. It is DAS, but the (free) Fastpass system.
That lawsuit resulted when WDW changed from GAC to DAS. One of Disney's defense points was how many people used GAC and that it impacted attraction operations. While it is possible that DAS may not be as overwhelming to the park operations as GAC became -- that doesn't mean DAS has a negligible impact on operations. Waiting outside the queue really doesn't matter, it's the number of people who use DAS to enter the LL queue regardless of the wait. The DAS program definitely has the potential for significant impact to the attraction operations if eligibility is loosened for everyone who feels they "deserve" DAS.

However, anyone who needs DAS to access attractions should not feel they are taking anything away from anyone else. Not requesting or not using DAS does not mean someone else gets that chance instead.

To get technical about "ride performance times," I doubt it matters which line you are coming from. Obviously, some disabled take longer to load, and some don't at all, and that doesn't correlate to DAS at all.

The ride capacity of X/hour is an average in actual operation, which includes issues and little kids, and disabled people, and drunk people, and all kinds of factors.

It's pretty obvious DAS will impact G+, but that's a different question.

To get technical about "ride performance times," I doubt it matters which line you are coming from. Obviously, some disabled take longer to load, and some don't at all, and that doesn't correlate to DAS at all.

The ride capacity of X/hour is an average in actual operation, which includes issues and little kids, and disabled people, and drunk people, and all kinds of factors.

It's pretty obvious DAS will impact G+, but that's a different question.
But you forgot to factor in that guests using DAS can go ride other attractions while waiting for their return time, right?

But you forgot to factor in that guests using DAS can go ride other attractions while waiting for their return time, right?

They CAN, but I doubt most people with a DAS actually do that in a way that results in them being able to ride "double" the amount of rides that they otherwise would be able to.

I mean, we *sometimes* hop in a line and wait standby while waiting for a DAS return time, but most often, we use the time to eat or rest/chill out, or we hold a DAS for HOURS and do a few other rides with short standby waits and then do the DAS ride last, right before we leave. We have never been able to alternate between DAS and standby back to back to back in a way that puts us at an advantage.

I feel like Genie+ is a much more efficient way to maximize rides and I'd choose that over DAS if I needed to squeeze as many rides into a specific amount of time as I could.

They CAN, but I doubt most people with a DAS actually do that in a way that results in them being able to ride "double" the amount of rides that they otherwise would be able to.

I mean, we *sometimes* hop in a line and wait standby while waiting for a DAS return time, but most often, we use the time to eat or rest/chill out, or we hold a DAS for HOURS and do a few other rides with short standby waits and then do the DAS ride last, right before we leave. We have never been able to alternate between DAS and standby back to back to back in a way that puts us at an advantage.

I feel like Genie+ is a much more efficient way to maximize rides and I'd choose that over DAS if I needed to squeeze as many rides into a specific amount of time as I could.
While that is your choice (and I rarely get into another queue while waiting for DAS myself as well) there are many who can handle the shorter queues, and right here on the disAbilities forum you'll read how you can get another DAS lined up if there's only one tapstyle in use, eliminating some of the outside of the standard queue wait time (10-20 minutes right there).

In my family, the others can go on attractions I will not ride (ToT, EE, Space Mountain, etc) while we wait for the return time. That also adds to the numbers in the queues, as they are technically in two queues at the same time.

So true. Due to heart issues, DH got DAS for this past year. But even before the heart issue popped up, splash, PP, FOP and several others got on the no go list due to balance and knee issues. A few years ago when we could do them, it always took longer getting in and out of ride.

...and right here on the disAbilities forum you'll read how you can get another DAS lined up if there's only one tapstyle in use, eliminating some of the outside of the standard queue wait time (10-20 minutes right there).

What are you talking about here? You make DAS selections yourself in the app now. Once you scan in, you can immediately make another one. That's what we always do. It isn't some kind of hack. What difference does it make how many tasteless are in use?

What are you talking about here? You make DAS selections yourself in the app now. Once you scan in, you can immediately make another one. That's what we always do. It isn't some kind of hack. What difference does it make how many tasteless are in use?
Some attractions have a first tap point at the line entrance and another between that snd the boarding area.
If the attraction only has one tap/scan point at the entrance, guests using DAS (or Genie+, for that matter) can make another time after passing that point.
If the attraction is using a second tap/scan point, guests must also scan in to that point before making another

Some attractions have a first tap point at the line entrance and another between that snd the boarding area.
If the attraction only has one tap/scan point at the entrance, guests using DAS (or Genie+, for that matter) can make another time after passing that point.
If the attraction is using a second tap/scan point, guests must also scan in to that point before making another

Is this only at WDW? There are no rides at DLR like this.

Is this only at WDW? There are no rides at DLR like this.
I know there are at WDW and they sometimes change.
For example, Journey of the Little Mermaid sometimes has only one at the entrance and sometimes also has one just before getting to the boarding area.
We rode Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure twice on our last trip. One time they were using the second scan, the other time they weren’t

How do I know if we REALLY need DAS? We have been to WDW several times with our family and have never used it. Although, we didn’t really know about it.

I am considering asking for one for my oldest daughter. She gets overwhelmed very easily. Sensory issues, like noise, lights, and crowds. But even having to make decisions or plans changing upset her. I do the ink having a DAS would be beneficial to her. But she COULD and has done WDW without it.

FWIW, probably several of us qualify. I have Crohn’s and one year at WDW I was in a horrible flare. DAS would have been a lifesaver. I also have a child with ADHD who has a lot of sensory issues as well. He could probably use one and a few years ago it would have made a big difference for him. The fact that several of us could most likely get a pass makes me feel a bit less guilty.

I really do think my DD (and others of us) qualifies. But I can’t shake this guilt that I’m taking advantage of the system. We have done WDW without it. However it would certainly make our trip much less stressful and overwhelming. I guess my question is how to know whether our difficult is “enough?”

Honestly. I would get the pass to be safe and use it when you need it. If you have a Chrohn's flare up, use it. If your kid is having a day of feeling extremely overstimulated/overwhelmed, use it. But if you're feeling OK, opt for the regular line. Obviously this is a a trust type of system, but most people have solid morals than we give them credit for, I think.

I agree with one of the PPs that another good option is to wait until you get there to see how you and your family feel. You can always take a few minutes to add it to you account with a CM in the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter