"Worst" dressed person I've EVER seen at a Signature restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we aren't talking about restaurants in a theme park. We are talking about restaurants in four star hotels.

Hahahahahaha... oh, my. I thought you said the Disney hotels are 4 stars for a minute there. Not even close.

Semantics, it is all part of WDW. The vast majority of the clientele is there because of the parks.
Not just semantics. Victoria and Alberts is part of WDW, and soon the Four Seasons will be. Golf courses are part of WDW, and they have a dress code more strict than the restaurants.

People in a theme park will obviously be in theme park attire. In their hotel, or other places, that's not necessarily the case. Hence, the signature restaurants do have a dress code more strict than the theme parks. No tank tops or hats, for example.

Again, I don't think the signature restaurants need a dress code any stricter than they already have, but what they have is not the same as the theme parks so clearly it is more than just semantics.

You are assuming the person is dressing to evoke a reaction. To your other point, it is one thing to say what a person is wearing isn't appropriate to the situation, it is another to judge them for it.

Yes, I am making an assumption and experience has taught me my assumptions are correct far more often than not. Again, unless this guy had not been in a signature restaurant before, he knew very well he was skirting the intent of the dress code. That doesn't make him a criminal or anything, but there still was intent to stand out.

CamoMama said:
Ditto! I dress for my comfort, it's my darned vacation after all!
This isn't about comfort. Camo shorts aren't any more comfortable than khaki shorts. A beer bottle cap logo t-shirt isn't any more comfortable than a Mickey Mouse t-shirt.

In fact, I agree that comfort is and should be a major factor in the dress codes at WDW restaurants, and that shouldn't change.

When our children were younger (DD is now 20 and DS is now 13), we always dressed up (think "church clothes") for table service meals, even for places like Shoney's. Why? Because the kiddos automatically associated dressing up with being on their best behavior! Worked like a charm. Someday when they have their own children we'll let them in on that valuable piece of info. . .LOL.

Hahahahahaha... oh, my. I thought you said the Disney hotels are 4 stars for a minute there. Not even close.

As someone who takes 5-7 extensive vacations a year plus several weekend jaunts, I will say that I feel the Disney deluxe resorts absolutely fall in the 4-star category. There is a huge gap between a 4 and a 5 star property and there is a very wide range within each category as well. I've stayed in basic 3-star Hiltons as well as famous 5-star properties such as The Ritz, The Madinant Jumeirah, The Louvre, etc.

We just returned from a driving tour of southern Spain and my dh said we should try 4-star hotels instead of our usual 5-star. So I booked all 4-star hotels, all with good customer and professional reviews. Ha! Boy did he regret saying that. None of the hotels we stayed in were up to the standards of the Disney hotels I've stayed in. And all for various reasons--one would have a great champagne breakfast, but with worn down rooms, while another had a single, terrible restaurant but with amazing views of the city.

The star system is based on amenities not reviews or customer service. There are several organizations who come up with the ratings, so that 1 property can be rating in several categories by different organizations. The Disney deluxe resorts are rated for stars for their amenities such as:
-Bell service
-Concierge service
-Option of club level
-Turn down service (only club level, which IS outside the norm in US, but not abroad)
-Extensive pool and recreation area
-Kids' club (not all have, but all have access to)
-Variety of dining options (I've been to some 5 stars with only 1 restaurant)
-Curb appeal
-Lobby with seating
-Easy access to local attractions
-Room service
-Valet parking
-Fitness center
-Free WiFi--Last month I paid 3 euros an hour at the Four Seasons in Limassol, Cyprus.

Of course they fall short in:
-Small rooms (but if you really want to see small rooms, stay at Le Grande Paris, where a mouse scurried across my feet while I was dining at the famous Cafe de la Paix. The waiter told me I was being "irrational" to be afraid of "a little mouse." Imagine if a waiter said that to a customer at V&A or even Flying Fish!)
-No "wow" factor in individual rooms (though I find this all over)
-Personal Service--However, I believe that CL usually does a good job of this.
-No turndown service for non CL guests
-Overcrowding, tight accommodations
-Long hallways or other circumstances that make can make it uncomfortable to guests to get from point A to B.
-Lack of dining in that if you don't have an ADR, you might not get anything to eat despite the fact that your hotel could have 3 or more sit-down restaurants.
-Mousekeeping often, for lack of a better word, sucks.

I'm sorry, but do you really think these are four star hotels? Using the Forbes rating system, they're not even 3 star. They're nice places and all but not even CLOSE to a real 4 star rating.

Agreed.

And to the poster who mentioned V&A's. Note that they have a different dress code than the rest of the Disney signature restaurants. The person who went to dinner in camo shorts was not eating there, and was in fact following the dress code for where he had dinner.

I have no problem with people having to follow a dress code. But Disney defines and enforces the dress codes for their restaurants. If what a person wears is ok by them, then it is ok. And not subject to any other person saying it is not.

The star system is based on amenities not reviews or customer service. There are several organizations who come up with the ratings, so that 1 property can be rating in several categories by different organizations.

Right, and the foremost, and seriously the only one that counts, is the Forbes Guide, formerly the Mobil Travel Guide. Disney doesn't even rate a mention.

I'm having a problem wrapping my head around why folks can't feel comfortable in a nice polo, shorts, and sneakers.

True enough.

But we are talking about a "nice" restaurant a cut above KFC and Applebees.

This guy was dressed as though he were headed for a Paintball Tournment right after dinner..

So his right to dress that way for sure but my right to make fun of him. Remember--I didn't ask management to throw him out, I didn't walk over and ask him how come he was dressed like a fool. All I did was laugh to myself as he walked on by.

And since the image was still in my mind after an entire week (I saw him on the first night of vacation) I though I'd share with the folks on the boards.

And he would have the right to post on his "board" about the guy sitting at the California Grill bar dressed in tan slacks, a polo and brown loafers. Where did he think HE was eating??:)

This guy was dressed as though he were headed for a Paintball Tournment right after dinner..

I think the CR would be a great place for a futuristic paintball attraction. LOL

And he would have the right to post on his "board" about the guy sitting at the California Grill bar dressed in tan slacks, a polo and brown loafers. Where did he think HE was eating??:)

Depends, were you wearing a fanny pack or a white belt?

But we aren't talking about restaurants in a theme park. We are talking about restaurants in four star hotels. There are plenty of more appropriate places to eat if you've spent the day in a park sweating in shorts, tees and sneakers.

And whether it's vacation or not, you should be able to dress how you want--as long as it follows the dress code. But for me, I will do my best to be appropriate. If I'm in a European city on vacation, I will not wear shorts to a restaurant that isn't on the scale of a coffee house or McDonald's.

The guy we are talking about was following the dress code but he did so in a way he stood out to the OP. These restaurants are still part of a theme part complex and are called "signature" by Disney. They are far from truly signature restaurants.

True enough.

But we are talking about a "nice" restaurant a cut above KFC and Applebees.

So his right to dress that way for sure but my right to make fun of him. Remember--I didn't ask management to throw him out, I didn't walk over and ask him how come he was dressed like a fool. All I did was laugh to myself as he walked on by.

And since the image was still in my mind after an entire week (I saw him on the first night of vacation) I though I'd share with the folks on the boards.

You're right you can make fun of him and have. However, I don't think you were the one who stated you could tell if a person was classy or not by the way they were dressed.

He was following dress code, just not in the manner that you would. Nothing wrong with that; to each their own.

Bob NC:
Fanny pack AND a white belt--

No--I remember now. I had on my orange and green belt. Didn't want to stand out in my white belt...

Oh, you can argue that Disney hotels don't come near the standards you would expect for hotels outside the World in the same price range but that's not the point. The point is that Disney itself defines these restaurants as Signature and as such, places them at a higher price point and different atmosphere and includes a dress code, than other restaurants not identified as Signature. There comes with that a certain expectation of higher quality meal and dining experience for the patron. As I said in a pp, if Disney doesn't uphold the standards for the dining experience, patrons may begin to balk at paying the prices Disney is charging .

Oh, you can argue that Disney hotels don't come near the standards you would expect for hotels outside the World in the same price range but that's not the point. The point is that Disney itself defines these restaurants as Signature and as such, places them at a higher price point and different atmosphere and includes a dress code, than other restaurants not identified as Signature. There comes with that a certain expectation of higher quality meal and dining experience for the patron. As I said in a pp, if Disney doesn't uphold the standards for the dining experience, patrons may begin to balk at paying the prices Disney is charging .

The guy in the op did meet the guidelines suggested by Disney.

I don't know that I've ever seen anyone look completely out of place at any Disney restaurant (and we've done Artist POint, Cali Grille, Yachtsmen, Le Cellier and all the nicer ones) but it may be because I'm too engrossed in MY dining experience. Of course, maybe that means I'M the one who might be dressed poorly? hahaha!

At CG there were 7 of us. Men in button down shirts and dress slacks. Women in skirts/dresses. I didn't pay any attention to the rest of the patrons.

At Yachstmen on our honeymoon DH had on a polo and khaki's and I had on a skirt/tank combo that looked like a sundress (I had a shawl with me for the AC, but can't recall using it).

We usually do polo's and khaki's for DH and shorts/khaki's and a nice blouse for me for meals in the hotels. In a theme park it;s whatever we are wearing for the day.

The guy in the op did meet the guidelines suggested by Disney.

Oh really? Cammis are now considered "dress shorts"? I must have missed the memo! :rotfl:

Regardless, it is up to Disney to set the guidelines and then enforce them. If they choose. Not to do so, that is their perogative. However it is also the guests' perogative to decide whether they agree with Disney that the restaurant still is worth what they are charging. I personally feel it is not.

Well, there's guidelines and then there's good taste. It's sad the difference needs to be explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter