Would love resort advice

texasgingerbread

DIS Veteran
I am so unhappy right now. My original reservation had me at Pop on night 1 (because no room at Swan) and then package with Swan night 2-8. 8 night parkhopper was attached to Swan reservation. Well, when it came to FP date, I asked for my tickets to be put on Pop so I could get them and be in parks first thing on Day 2 (Swan reservation desk opens at 7am to pickup tickets). So when TA moved tickets to Pop vs. Swan the "package price" no longer applied and the applied a room only rate. Unfortunately, no one told this to TA and obviously me. The new rate is $1000 more than original booking.

So here I am...47 days out and I'm looking at $900 more for the same exact everything. I could cancel Swan and rebook directly thru them but the rates have skyrocketed, and 2 nights are available during my stay. My TA said she explained everything to Disney and there is nothing they can do because it's not a Disney hotel. Okay - but i booked it thru Disney. I'm so sad that Disney is not helping! My TA has a call into the Swan (although she's already talked to them twice and they said there is nothing they can do because the rate needs to say package) and is waiting for a call back from a higher up.

So now - if I want the same price I'll need to move to POFQ or CB. I've stayed at CB and not a fan. Honestly, I just don't know they would rebook a package and not let me know the price was different! I never would have allowed them to cancel my last package had they told me this upfront. I would have kept the original reservation. I just wish I could have a little Disney magic here but I think due to my TA's mistake (she said she didn't know rate didn't change) I am out of luck. Any advice? I guess really I am just on here rather talking it thru rather than crying. Ug.

My other worry is - if we change something my FP will be messed up.

I’m sorry you are going through this. I always ask when I make changes what the financial difference would be if any, I’m surprised your TA didn’t do that since the original package was moving to room only, but I suppose getting upset about the past doesn’t change the current situation. Have you stayed at CB recently? The addition of the skyliner and the newly opened restaurant Sebastian are perks, and i always hear people talking highly about POFQ. I know people love split stays but my fam hates them, it might be kinda nice staying in one place the entire time In my opinion! Good news is no matter what you’ll be at Disney!

First off, I wanted to say I am sorry you are going through this. Especially because none of it needed to happen.

I am so unhappy right now. My original reservation had me at Pop on night 1 (because no room at Swan) and then package with Swan night 2-8. 8 night parkhopper was attached to Swan reservation. Well, when it came to FP date, I asked for my tickets to be put on Pop so I could get them and be in parks first thing on Day 2 (Swan reservation desk opens at 7am to pickup tickets).

There is no need to "pick up" tickets from the Swan desk. You would have received complimentary Magic Bands with your Pop stay and if you linked your tickets to your MDE account there would be no need for physical tickets. The Magic Bands would have worked as your tickets. I am surprised your TA didn't know or tell you this as it would have avoided the whole thing.

So here I am...47 days out and I'm looking at $900 more for the same exact everything. I could cancel Swan and rebook directly thru them but the rates have skyrocketed, and 2 nights are available during my stay. My TA said she explained everything to Disney and there is nothing they can do because it's not a Disney hotel. Okay - but i booked it thru Disney. I'm so sad that Disney is not helping!

Unfortunately, Disney has no way to make Swan take someone else's room away and give it to you.

My TA has a call into the Swan (although she's already talked to them twice and they said there is nothing they can do because the rate needs to say package) and is waiting for a call back from a higher up.

Maybe some magic will happen and they can give you your original package booking. Like none of this ever happened.

Honestly, I just don't know they would rebook a package and not let me know the price was different! I never would have allowed them to cancel my last package had they told me this upfront. I would have kept the original reservation.

Yeah, that sucks and falls on both the TA and the Phone CM.

I just wish I could have a little Disney magic here but I think due to my TA's mistake (she said she didn't know rate didn't change) I am out of luck. Any advice? I guess really I am just on here rather talking it thru rather than crying. Ug.

I really hope Swan can do something for you.

As long as you don't outright cancel everything, your FP reservations will be intact.

I am so unhappy right now. My original reservation had me at Pop on night 1 (because no room at Swan) and then package with Swan night 2-8. 8 night parkhopper was attached to Swan reservation. Well, when it came to FP date, I asked for my tickets to be put on Pop so I could get them and be in parks first thing on Day 2 (Swan reservation desk opens at 7am to pickup tickets). So when TA moved tickets to Pop vs. Swan the "package price" no longer applied and the applied a room only rate. Unfortunately, no one told this to TA and obviously me. The new rate is $1000 more than original booking.

So here I am...47 days out and I'm looking at $900 more for the same exact everything. I could cancel Swan and rebook directly thru them but the rates have skyrocketed, and 2 nights are available during my stay. My TA said she explained everything to Disney and there is nothing they can do because it's not a Disney hotel. Okay - but i booked it thru Disney. I'm so sad that Disney is not helping! My TA has a call into the Swan (although she's already talked to them twice and they said there is nothing they can do because the rate needs to say package) and is waiting for a call back from a higher up.

So now - if I want the same price I'll need to move to POFQ or CB. I've stayed at CB and not a fan. Honestly, I just don't know they would rebook a package and not let me know the price was different! I never would have allowed them to cancel my last package had they told me this upfront. I would have kept the original reservation. I just wish I could have a little Disney magic here but I think due to my TA's mistake (she said she didn't know rate didn't change) I am out of luck. Any advice? I guess really I am just on here rather talking it thru rather than crying. Ug.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I hate to say it, but your TA really messed up. She shouldn't have changed anything around without quoting you the new pricing.

This is what I would do - go on the WDW website and see what's available for your dates under the Gift of Magic offer which, according to what you've described, is valid for your dates - price out a package. If you see something you like within your budget, snag it. Also, check rates at the Swan/Dolphin (do it through the Marriott site and not through Disney!) and see what your room-only costs would be. If Swan or Dolphin look good and you want to go that route, book room-only directly through them and purchase your WDW tickets separately. Once you make a booking you are happy with (a WDW resort package booking or a Swan/Dolphin room booking plus separate ticket purchase), make sure everything is linked to your MDE account and then cancel everything with the TA. As long as you have a WDW resort or Swan/Dolphin reservation plus tickets linked in MDE, you will not lose your FP+. Please keep us posted - there are plenty of people on here who can talk you through this process and hopefully help you out.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I hate to say it, but your TA really messed up. She shouldn't have changed anything around without quoting you the new pricing.

This is what I would do - go on the WDW website and see what's available for your dates under the Gift of Magic offer which, according to what you've described, is valid for your dates - price out a package. If you see something you like within your budget, snag it. Also, check rates at the Swan/Dolphin (do it through the Marriott site and not through Disney!) and see what your room-only costs would be. If Swan or Dolphin look good and you want to go that route, book room-only directly through them and purchase your WDW tickets separately. Once you make a booking you are happy with (a WDW resort package booking or a Swan/Dolphin room booking plus separate ticket purchase), make sure everything is linked to your MDE account and then cancel everything with the TA. As long as you have a WDW resort or Swan/Dolphin reservation plus tickets linked in MDE, you will not lose your FP+. Please keep us posted - there are plenty of people on here who can talk you through this process and hopefully help you out.
This! The rates for the Swan and Dolphin are higher booking through the Disney site. Check the rates through Marriott, if you are not a member of their loyalty program join, it's free and you can get slightly lower rates. Also there are other discounts you can get through Marriott, AAA, AARP, Senior, nurse, teacher... I may even be missing some. Good luck, hope you can work everything out. Your TA should have known changing from a package to a room only would cancel the original ressie and book an new one at the rates at the time of booking.

I think this is on your TA. They are supposed to be the professional and they messed up. I would give them a specified amount of time to fix things while working on a back up plan to execute ASAP yourself if things don’t work out (booking through Marriott, booking another Disney hotel yourself, looking at booking through Orbitz, etc). I am so sorry this happened to you and I absolutely can’t believe that there was no discussion of money during booking when the price went up that much!

This! I can't believe a TA did this (well, I can, and it's a perfect example of why I will never use one)
Any TA working should know the differences between a room only and a package and what defines them and how they are paid out.
If they don't, they shouldn't be working as a TA.
Then they make this change without informing their client? Unfathomably bad TA. Unfortunately, there are too many out there. Sure, I know there are great ones but if you just contact an agency who claims to do Disney reservations you don't know what you'll end up with. Not everyone knows to make sure to get a good agent. You shouldn't have to. If they are official Disney agencies they should know their stuff.

I would relook at CB if you haven't been over there in a couple of years. It's had a room remodel and with new main facilities quite nice. And the skyliner is a wonderful perk. We went over for dinner a couple weeks ago.
And FQ is the best Mod there is. Having done both, I daresay I like it way more than Swan or Dolphin.
Both would also allow you to charge back using your MB, if that appeals to you. Something you can't do at S/D.

So this is the current plan...thoughts on if the FP will be affected?

New plan:

Pop - Night 1 (room only) - right now the tickets are on Pop
Swan - Package Night 2-7 (package - hotel and room - for 6 nights much better price - it's sold out on our last night - note moving tickets to this...will it work with FP staying the same?)
POFQ - Night 8 (room only)

The TA said you had to login within 24 hours on MDE to link the and the FP would remain unaffected. My worry - Swan takes up to 72 hours to give you their number to link on MDE. Will this lose my FP? Disney IT said no but I'm worried. @DisneyWishes14 I'm tagging you because you mentioned you might talk it thru with me. :)

Have you thought about calling a different TA? Im just wondering what someone else can do, pick one that is big and only does Disney.
Also We just added nights to our trip that Disney told me was sold out and i found rooms on priceline, so check around i got $300 off the posted rate.(same week as you 3/8/20)

I second the suggestion of reconsidering Caribbean Beach. We stayed there in 2012 and the two things we didn't like about it have since been changed - the buses now service only 4 internal stops max (different buses go to different bus stops at the resort), and the resort has been re-configured so that check-in is in the same building as the food court, store, etc. It's all at the center of the resort now, making it much more convenient. We decided to stay there for our upcoming trip in April because of these changes, and also because we experienced the Skyliner staying at AOA and we loved it. CBR is the best option on the Skyliner because it's the main hub for it, so you don't have to transfer. Since you'll be losing out on the location of the Swan, IMO Caribbean Beach is the next best option at the cheaper price point because of the ease and speed of the Skyliner.

Have you thought about calling a different TA? Im just wondering what someone else can do, pick one that is big and only does Disney.
Might be worth calling around to see if any TAs are offering any agency-exclusive promos or rates for a new booking. But another agent wouldn't touch the current agent's mess with a 10 foot pole. Most agents are 100% commission so there would be no benefit in that for them. If the current agent is a good one, he or she will exhaust all options or even offer OP some kind of monetary credit for the hassle. TAs rely on word of mouth, so providing good service to maintain their reputation should be most important to them.

Might be worth calling around to see if any TAs are offering any agency-exclusive promos or rates for a new booking. But another agent wouldn't touch the current agent's mess with a 10 foot pole. Most agents are 100% commission so there would be no benefit in that for them. If the current agent is a good one, he or she will exhaust all options or even offer OP some kind of monetary credit for the hassle. TAs rely on word of mouth, so providing good service to maintain their reputation should be most important to them.

She's a friend. I'm stuck. She's new and learning. It sucks.

So canceling my res and booking a new one...thoughts on losing FP?

I believe there is some sort of grace period(48 hours I believe) to cancel and rebook before your fastpasses are dumped. You have to have a new reservation and tickets attached to MDE within this time frame and you should be fine. But do not worry about attaching tickets to one reservation over the other. You do not need physical tickets if you have magicbands, just the codes off the back which I assume you have if you made fastpasses. They will be attached to your magicbands.

If you want to cancel and re-book, your best bet is to book your new reservation and tickets first, link everything to MDE and then cancel the old reservations.

So this is the current plan...thoughts on if the FP will be affected?

New plan:

Pop - Night 1 (room only) - right now the tickets are on Pop
Swan - Package Night 2-7 (package - hotel and room - for 6 nights much better price - it's sold out on our last night - note moving tickets to this...will it work with FP staying the same?)
POFQ - Night 8 (room only)

The TA said you had to login within 24 hours on MDE to link the and the FP would remain unaffected. My worry - Swan takes up to 72 hours to give you their number to link on MDE. Will this lose my FP? Disney IT said no but I'm worried. @DisneyWishes14 I'm tagging you because you mentioned you might talk it thru with me. :)

Is this what you have now? Is this a modification of the old reservations? If it's simply a modification, there is no need to re-link everything. I have never had the experience where Swan takes 72 hours to give you the reservation number. I have always gotten it immediately though it can take 24 hours from then to get it to link to MDE.

Would you consider switching to the Dolphin for all of your nights? They seem to have availability. If so, I would book it through the Marriott site, purchase your tickets separately, link everything to MDE and then cancel the reservations you have with the TA once everything is booked.

Or take a look at the Gift of Magic discount and see if there is anything in the inventory that would interest you. I wouldn't want to be splitting my stay up into three resorts if it's not necessary.

I would not move the tickets to the Swan. How many days of tickets do you have and on what days do you want to use them?

Is this what you have now? Is this a modification of the old reservations?
Don't have it yet. Need to move to that maybe? Currently 8 Night ParkHopper tickets, Pop 1st night with Gift of Magic, and swan rest of nights with inflated price.

Would you consider switching to the Dolphin for all of your nights?
I could do this, but not a fan of double beds. My hubby is Pooh sized. :)

I would not move the tickets to the Swan. How many days of tickets do you have and on what days do you want to use them?
I have 8 day Park Hoppers using them March 4-11.

That’s tough with TA being a friend but glad you and she worked things out with the res, and got a better rate at Swan. And if you haven’t already stayed at pofq, I think you’ll love it. Stop at the food court to get some Beignets!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter