Would you miss Indy Speedway

I would miss the Indy Speedway mainly for sentimental reasons. It is such a huge part of the landscape that it would seem so strange to glance that way and not see it there.

I think many people find it to be a very fun family experience. Small children are thrilled to be the "driver" while mom or dad is the "passenger". Pre-teens and teens seem to get a kick out of riding around in those little cars with the souped-up sound. It's fun pretending you are racing against your family and friends. And just take a look at all those adults out on that track!

The only justification I could see in Disney removing the Indy Speedway would be if the Imagineers came up with a ride or attraction that was truly spectacular and worthy of Tomorrowland. I would be disappointed otherwise.

Not everything in the parks has to be "Disney" as you say.

To me "Disney" is The Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain. The Polynesian, Advtureland, Main Street USA. None of those are Character driven.

"Disney" to me is about being transported to a different place and/or time. There used to be a nice balance of attractions, shows and rides that involved Disney Characters. Now it seems everything has to be tied to a movie, or television show or character. When did being Disney become about being character related?

I hope I never see a Geico caveman in the parks.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing it go if they used the space for something interesting and innovative.

Well stated. I guess the point is that it is for kids and kids still enjoy it everyday. I haven't been on it in probably over 15 years. But when I was young, it was awesome!

I wouldn't miss it, but DD7 would. She loves being able to steer while I press the gas since she can't reach the pedal. It's not my favorite ride, but I always end up taking her because the fumes give DH a headache. It seems a little outdated now, but to me it screams childhood memories and americana - just what Walt envisioned. Maybe they could spruce it up with a Cars theme and use some type of electric motors on the cars so the noxious fumes weren't so bad. I feel sorry for the CMs that work it!

Making a ride have a movie story line is a bad idea because like in 20 years people will forget about Cars, Nemo etc. Rides like the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Cariabean have there own characters and story line which makes them timeless.

It has nothing to do with Disney and was only ever there because at the time the park was built they needed rides, right? Otherwise why have it? At least give it a "Cars" theme to make it somewhat Disney related. I wouldn't mind seeing it go. Plus, it attracts love bugs, which a lot of guests can't stand (though I doubt those of us from Florida who are used to them care...)

A bit off topic, just wondering why you think that they are particularly attractive to love bugs? We also live here in Florida, and I don't really see the connection......:confused3 {not being a smart ***, I was just curious}

Truly I cannot see the Indy Speedway going away. Tony George (President/Owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway) has sponsorship right there I believe. I know that they dumped a load of money into the ride during the last major refurb. I would like to see them update the ride to put new cars on the ride.

A bit off topic, just wondering why you think that they are particularly attractive to love bugs? We also live here in Florida, and I don't really see the connection......:confused3 {not being a smart ***, I was just curious}

Love bugs are attracted to car exhaust fumes for some reason. Hence why they are always around intersections and roads. Hence why our cars are always covered with them. There is a scientific reason behind it - something about the CO2 content - but I forget the exact details. I imagine it could be found on the intergoogle. :)

It would be nice if they re did the the tracks so that there were passing lanes here and there. All that would be required would be to put in stretches where the guides were on the outsides of the tires instead of inside with arrows for the slow branch going one way and passing lane down another branch.

Love bugs are attracted to car exhaust fumes for some reason. Hence why they are always around intersections and roads. Hence why our cars are always covered with them. There is a scientific reason behind it - something about the CO2 content - but I forget the exact details. I imagine it could be found on the intergoogle. :)

OK, then how would you explain the 20 jillion love bugs on my front porch?:goodvibes

I think it could be updated a bit, but my kids 9, 4, and 2 absolutely love it. They feel like they are driving. Not every ride has to be the most updated ride in the world as we also like COP and Jungle Cruise. We do like the new rides, but they should keep a few of the old ones around. Although many of us have outgrown the ride and it seems dull, our little ones are riding it for the first time and many (at least mine) love it.

You are absolutely right, DisneyDadof3 ! Not every ride or attraction has to be updated into something modern or high tech. Part of the appeal of the Jungle Cruise, COP, and yes, even the Indy Speedway, is that they are "old".

My kids like it but I don't think it's worth the long lines, and it sure does take up a lot of space. Wouldn't it be cool if they took a small piece of the land and made a small 'Cars-The Movie' ride in Toon Town for the little ones, and used the rest of the land for a great E-ticket ride for Tommorwland?

Or how about something with maybe electric / concept type cars since it is in Tommorwland afterall?

That would be great. I haven't done it in a while and did it last trip and what a waste of time!! I would love if they did exactly what you suggested. Tomorrowland needs a new E ticket!!

While I agree with you that the Speedway does not have a lot of storyline to it, IMHO, it represents a very basic entertainment attraction that has a lot of history with origins of Autopia at DL.

Autopia was a futuristic vision of superhighways, something that was a new concept in 1955. The Speedway lacks anything in that regard.

Dumbo and the Tea Cups are pieces of stories that capture imaginations. The Speedway lacks that as well.

I know there's kids that love it, but I'm sure Disney is capable of doing an update or replacement(s) that would appeal to kids as well. Whether they would actually succeed is another story, but they are capable.

I think the ride capacity still leaves much to be desired, but I dont think they could expand the track at all, maybe somehow make loading faster is the only way

Autopia was a futuristic vision of superhighways, something that was a new concept in 1955. The Speedway lacks anything in that regard.
It is my understanding that they purposely wanted to theme it differently. Gas cars driving around a guided track is still the mechanics of it. I did not mean it was the same, just that Walt wanted something similar at MK.

Dumbo and the Tea Cups are pieces of stories that capture imaginations. The Speedway lacks that as well.
Just about every amusement/theme park in the world has a version of these two rides. I may have grown up with Dumbo and Alice, but I doubt most kids today have. Not sure how you could make such a blanket statement.

I know there's kids that love it, but I'm sure Disney is capable of doing an update or replacement(s) that would appeal to kids as well. Whether they would actually succeed is another story, but they are capable.
Did you care for it before Indy sponsored it when it was Goodyear and just the Grand Prix? It's one of my son's favorite attractions since it is so interactive rather than just a passive ride. He steers and I press the gas and thankfully gone are the days that we have the out of control side to side banging.

The queue design is interesting. They generally only open the 4th lane at peak times/season. This usually means that the first queue that funnels into lanes 1 & 2 from the bridge is the faster one. However, when someone enters from the handicap entrance, it will bottle up lane 1 and everything gets backed up. They should keep lane 4 open all the time. They should also have a true "finishline" earlier in the track, as the drive up to the loading/unloading area is sort of anticlimatic.

Just about every amusement/theme park in the world has a version of these two rides. I may have grown up with Dumbo and Alice, but I doubt most kids today have. Not sure how you could make such a blanket statement.
Somebody buys the DVDs by the millions when they are released. Maybe I'm assuming too much, but don't you watch them with your son? They may or may not be his favorite, but that's just another matter of personal preference. Plus, we aren't talking just about kids. Adults want to ride those rides because they remember the stories from their youth.

Something like the Speedway has none of those ties for anyone, nor does it offer anything in the way of an original story. All it has is some nostalgic value because it's been there so long, as well as some kiddie appeal because they like to drive cars.

That's fine, but at this point, Disney could do better. I'm sure that if they wanted to, they could come up with something that retained the driving aspect.

Somebody buys the DVDs by the millions when they are released. Maybe I'm assuming too much, but don't you watch them with your son? They may or may not be his favorite, but that's just another matter of personal preference. Plus, we aren't talking just about kids. Adults want to ride those rides because they remember the stories from their youth.

Something like the Speedway has none of those ties for anyone, nor does it offer anything in the way of an original story. All it has is some nostalgic value because it's been there so long, as well as some kiddie appeal because they like to drive cars.

That's fine, but at this point, Disney could do better. I'm sure that if they wanted to, they could come up with something that retained the driving aspect.
No you are not assuming too much. I think we own just about every mainstream Disney and Disney/Pixar released DVD and never even joined their club. :sad2: It almost felt like we forced my son to watch some of these classics such as Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp, etc. and afterwards, do they win out over repeated requests for Madagascar :eek: Chicken Little, Cars, The Wild, etc? Not a chance. Not sure why he is not drawn to them since Madagascar is not CG (or if it is, then it seems pretty low tech) and he LOVES that movie (doesn't care for Shrek or Shark Tales tho). Anyway, I don't mean to get sidetracked, but should everything at DL and WDW have some tie in to their animations? At DL, Autopia, Astro Orbiter, Matterhorn are just a couple off the top of my head that have no bearing on any animation. Other rides based off of non Disney classics such as Mr. Toads and King Arthur's carrousel have... well worked or are original classics. I did admit that the speedway can be improved, but just to say it lacks the "Disney" feel (not that you specifically did) and needs to go can then be applied to quite a number of original attractions.

Anyway, I don't mean to get sidetracked, but should everything at DL and WDW have some tie in to their animations?

Oh, no, absolutely not. That's why I threw in the phrase "nor does it offer anything in the way of an original story." I probably should have emphasized that more, because some of Disney's very best attractions were not tied to their animated stories at all. Besides what you mentioned, there's Pirates, Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, etc.

So I don't fault the speedway for not being tied to Cars, for example. It just doesn't offer anything else, and is just a slightly better decorated version of the same ride that exists in many other places.

But I know what you mean about kid's tastes. My son's favorites are the Pokemon movies.

What are you gonna do?

All I can say is that when I was a kid, my favorites were Bugs Bunny, Popeye, etc. And while those still have a place for me, I'd much rather watch Mickey Mouse cartoons or Silly Symphonies now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter