Would you share your likes and/or dislikes of your scooter?

Hi, everyone, thanks for all of the great information and opinions.

Ray, that is exactly what the celebrity and sunrunner scooters look like that I have. I had taken both mirrors off,, forgot about mentioning them..Thanks for finding pictures of them.

You're welcome, Carnator. I was curious about what they looked like since I am always looking at different scooters.

Wow Ray! Thank you so much for all the detailed information! I saved the manual and printed out everything you posted. I'm feeling much better about renting the scooter while off-property now!

You're welcome, bouncy54.

If you don't want to use the arm rests, you can leave them in the car.

If I use those trash bags to tie on the seat and back, all I do is rip them off and throw them in the trash after I am done and just keep spare bags with me. I keep the shower cap as long as I can and keep the spares in the car or suitcase when I travel.

If you don't use the arm rests, you can just use one big trash bag over the whole seat, but I like the arm rests. You can fold them up and back out of the way if you want them out of the way.

And if you are lined up sideways to the sidewalk on a street to watch the parades or along the fence on the lake to watch Illuminations fireworks, you can turn the seat around by just lifting a lever like on a desk chair while still sitting in the chair.

Let me know if you have any other questions and how your trip went.

I have posted mine on here several time because I love it so much! Mine is very unique-- the Rascal Fold and Go. http://www.rascalscooters.com/index.cfm/mobility/products.detail/scooter/Fold-and-Go®-370/id/15

7c2f_1.jpg

It is very heavy duty as far as being able to take the bumps and dings that I put on it. Because it doesn't have big bumpers I don't have to worry about that. I can fit it though a standard size door-- including on a cruise ship. It breaks down into fairly lightweight parts, but since it isn't very heavy I rarely ever do. I have a Honda Odyssey and have no problem lifting it into the back myself, when I have the rear seats folded down. I should get some pics of how I load it I guess. Basically I have a large blanket that is on the floor of the van and has extra folded up that I pull out and cover the bumper with. I fold down the tiller and the seat back. Then I lift the very lightweight front and put the front wheels on the bumper/floor. From there I lift the back which is the heaviest part-- I usually do remove the battery-- and just slide it in.

To get it out I do the same thing in reverse-- fold the blanket down, pull the back end out and slide it down the bumper to the ground, then lift the front and swing it out to the ground. Grab the battery, slide it in, lift the tiller and seat, insert the key and off I go! The battery slides on a "track" to install so there is not connection to worry about-- it connects when it slides into place.

If I have my back seats up then the scooter has to go in sideways, and it also goes down into the trunk area that is no longer flat from the folded seats and that is a little more difficult. I still use the blanket to protect the bumper but I have to "finesse" it a little more to get it in sideways. It is much easier for me if my 14 year dd is there to help me lift it. DH will actually just lift the entire thing and set it in and pull it out.

The fact that I would be able to get it into and out of my van was the strongest selling point. I also love that it can be folded nearly flat, and stood upright like an ironing board-- it fit in the closet of the 2 cruise ships I have been on.

Have to get to bed right now but if you have any questions or want more information let me know.

Thanks for the thanks:)
You're welcome, Sue. You have no idea how much I appreciate a that you have created such a welcoming place to come and discuss and discover new information about what ever you can think about to ask.

I can't find anyplace on the internet with so many people that have experiences that they are willing to share.

Also, I think looking at the owner’s manual is a very good idea before buying. Sometimes you can find out things that would make your decision much easier.

I discovered this myself after long time searching. I thought that this might be helpful for those that just want to rent a scooter by any of the many providers that you have listed in the sticky above.

This way they could see how the scooter works, how how it disassembles and reassembles if they have never done this before.

And to see how much how heavy each section much weigh or how big the scooter may be when they plan on putting it in their trunk.

Or to determine if it is within the WDW bus transportation 30 inches wide or 40 inches long.

Or to determine the weight capacity of the driver and approximate distance the scooter can travel on a full charge.

AND - one reminder to future readers - some of the pictures may not be visible in the future. As companies change photos or parts of their
websites, some of the links get ‘broken’ and no longer work. So, if you don’t see pictures, that might be why.

This is so true, Sue. I just went from dialup internet service to DSL service and I have been transferring my favorite links to my new AT&T internet provider website.

I keep forgetting that websites change to new sites and leave their old sites.

Or they just don't exist anymore.

I suppose that is why some photos show up as red X's when a wedsite is discontinued or moved to another website. Or when an individual account on a photo site is discontinued or time limited.

And scooters seem to always come up with newer models every couple of years with new updates, new seats, newer everything, I guess.

So, Sue, you are so right when you say, some of the links get ‘broken’ and no longer work. So, if you don’t see pictures, that might be why.

Thanks, Cheshire Fgment, for the reminder about the mobility assistance money. :thumbsup2

Yes, thank you again, Cheshire Figment.

If someone wants to spend lots of money, you can go with our ‘ride’ - a Braun Entervan - Chrysler version. We need it because DD has a power wheelchair and can’t really get out.

That's a great website, Sue. Thanks. It is amazing how they can make the floor lower and give the car a kneeling feature so that the ramp is not as steep to drive up on to get into the car.

Braun also makes some lifts and has been making lifting equipment for many years - you can see scooter lifts in action on this site.

This is just too cool. I have never seen this before. Thank you so much Sue.

bruno-joey.jpg

Bruno Joey™ Platform Lift
  • Drive On – Drive Off Platform Safety plate obstruction sensor
  • Fast cycle travel time to load/unload.
  • Compact rail design maintains all 2nd row seating.
  • One button operation.
  • Optional 3-Point Retractable Belt Package w/ large release tab and under seat docking bar.
  • Visible docking indicator light (ready to charge)
  • Independent Power Supply for worry-free operation
  • Optional Off-board charging kit allows for Joey charging using any standard 110V outlet.
  • Easy to operate manual back-up system.
http://www.cummingsmobility.com/handicap_vans/Brochures/Scooter_Lift_Joey.pdf

They even show the type of cars that it will fit in.

I have a Chrysler Town & Country (bought used). Before that, the lift was in a Dodge Caravan. I got the Town & Country because it has push-button side and rear doors. I have balance issues, and opening and closing the tailgate was hard for me. Especially when the tailgate was wet from snow or rain. I thought that having a crane-type lift might also be problematic for me physically. And an outside lift with a hitch connection would have worked, but again my issues -- I would have to tie it down, and cover it and, also, I don't have a garage, so it would sit outside in the weather. I can't physically get the scooter into the house.

I have balance issues, too. And I park in a parking deck. I like the idea of push button doors. It sounds like we have a lot in common. I'll have to keep the Chrysler Town and Country car in mind in future decisions. Thank you so much for your insight and experiences.

The lift was not cheap - it cost just under $2,000 installed. When I received my SS Disability Award, I had back payments coming to me, and I used some of that to get the equipment. The scooter and lift have opened up my life completely to the outside world. My husband used to help me out with my disability, but he recently passed away. I can handle the equipment completely by myself. Push button car door, push button lift, it's great.

I am so sorry about your husband.

I love my Town & Country. Really, it's my third Chrysler mini-van. They drive like very comfortable cars to me, and I like being seated up high. There's plenty of room for people or a ton of stuff from the stores. Chrysler has been making its 6-cylinder engine for years and it's very reliable. Fuel efficient but plenty of power for me. I don't feel like I am driving something big, like I used to feel when I drove my parents' station wagon years ago. The mini-van works for me and the scooter very well.

Thank you again for all of the information and photos. I really appreciate.

Thanks for the info. We will be buying one in the future. I'll keep this thread for when the time comes.

Your welcome, Bete

POOHsie said:
Cheshire Figment, the one thing you didn't tell us is how your scooter came to be purple and orange. I know those aren't factory colors!

I was curious about that , too.

Hi, bidnow5, and thank you for your information. I sure hope that better times are ahead for you. It is a day by day thing for me. Each medical bill being paid a little bit at a time. But sometimes it is hard when the bills come faster than the money coming in to pay them off for me.

I have several scooters I need two one lite one the take in the car and one with suspension for outdoors when we do antique shows. I am on a very limited budget it took 2 1/2 years to get disability and we ended up in a very deep hole climbing out slowly but it's a long process.

My main scooter is a very old Pace Saver Plus it's ugly but works great I bought it for $50 then spent $120 on batteries. I have owned it for 3 years it's a workhorse but too heavy to take in the car a lot. It just keeps going I love it but it's a bumpy ride out doors and for me it's a problem. I just bought a very old 1988 Sterling for $50 it has great suspension so it's going to help if I can get it working. It uses huge batteries and has a 36 mile range I need to make sure it works before I spend $400 on the batteries

I found a brochure on a newer Pace Saver Plus, and they call it a Pace Saver III that put below in a link.
http://pacesaver.com/Brochures/Doc.PlusIII.Broch.pdf

This photo may be similar or it may be a newer model of the PaceSave Plus, but I am not sure.
1970.jpg

I found a specification sheet on a newer Sterling with a distance range 0f 36 miles, and they call it a Sterling Elite XS that put below in a link.
http://www.sterlingscooters.co.uk/Scooter Range/productdetail.asp?productID=ScooterID8

This photo may be similar or it may be a newer model of the Sterling, but I am not sure.
SunMed-elite-xs4-3.jpg

My other scooter I got from a friend Its a pride sonic I love it for local use it's small enough with help I can load it into the car I can take it to stores to see my mom in the nursing home etc but it died on me and not sure how much it will cost to fix they want $75 just to check it.

I found a brochure on a newer Pride Sonic, but it may not be the same one as yours that I have listed below.
http://spectrum.pridedealer.com/pdf/Brochures/Scooter/Sonic.pdf

I found an Owner's Manual on a newer Pride Sonic, but it may not be the same one as yours that I have listed below.
http://spectrum.pridedealer.com/pdf/Owners_Manuals/US_Scooter/US_Sonic_om.pdf

And this might be a newer model of your Pride Sonic, but maybe it looks the same listed below.
pride-sonic.jpg

My last scooter is a Shoprider Echo 3 I got it at Savers for $39.99 the forward reverse lever was missing but it was easy to make one. This would be the perfect scooter it I wasn't way over the weight limit. It's only 72 pounds the heaviest piece is only 32 pounds so I can load it all by myself. I use it all the time on flat surfaces like stores and the nursing home.

I found a brochure on a newer Shoprider Echo 3, but it may not be the same one as yours that I have listed below.
http://www.shoprider.com/forms_2006/cutsheet/sheet_ECHO3.pdf

I found an Owner's Manual on a newer Shoprider Echo 3, but it may not be the same one as yours that I have listed below.
http://www.shoprider.com/forms_2006/manual/manual_Echo.pdf

And this might be a newer model of your Shoprider Echo 3, but maybe it looks the same listed below.

1618.jpg

My dream scooter is the Travelscoot 35 pounds total with the lithium ion battery and folds up very small some day I will get one
Now this is the first time that I have ever seen this scooter. It is so compact with that newer lithium battery. And the whole thing only weighs 35 pounds including the seat, frame, motor and lithium battery.

Here is the website that includes video of a person taking out of the trunk of car and putting it together and even pulling luggage.

http://www.travelscoot.com/

Here is a photo of the travelscoot, but you really need to look at the website above to see how it works and assembles and disassembles.
mobility-scooter-travelscoot.jpg

man-riding-heavily-loaded-mobility-scooter-comfortably-through-high-traffic-area-travelscoot.jpg

The photo below shows the 35 pound total weight of the scooter and the small green, carry, duffle bag that it fits into. That is amazing to be so light.

TravelScoot%202.jpg

Hi, Lovetoscrap. Thank you for the information and links and photo. I don't think that I have ever seen this scooter before. It looks a lot more solid than that 35 pound scooter that is listed in the previous post. Can you believe 35 pound total weight for a scooter?

I have posted mine on here several time because I love it so much! Mine is very unique-- the Rascal Fold and Go. http://www.rascalscooters.com/index.cfm/mobility/products.detail/scooter/Fold-and-Go®-370/id/15

7c2f_1.jpg

It is very heavy duty as far as being able to take the bumps and dings that I put on it. Because it doesn't have big bumpers I don't have to worry about that. I can fit it though a standard size door-- including on a cruise ship. It breaks down into fairly lightweight parts, but since it isn't very heavy I rarely ever do. I have a Honda Odyssey and have no problem lifting it into the back myself, when I have the rear seats folded down. I should get some pics of how I load it I guess. Basically I have a large blanket that is on the floor of the van and has extra folded up that I pull out and cover the bumper with. I fold down the tiller and the seat back. Then I lift the very lightweight front and put the front wheels on the bumper/floor. From there I lift the back which is the heaviest part-- I usually do remove the battery-- and just slide it in.

To get it out I do the same thing in reverse-- fold the blanket down, pull the back end out and slide it down the bumper to the ground, then lift the front and swing it out to the ground. Grab the battery, slide it in, lift the tiller and seat, insert the key and off I go! The battery slides on a "track" to install so there is not connection to worry about-- it connects when it slides into place.

I like the way Honda Odyssey looks, too. And thanks for the description on how you load your scooter, too.

If I have my back seats up then the scooter has to go in sideways, and it also goes down into the trunk area that is no longer flat from the folded seats and that is a little more difficult. I still use the blanket to protect the bumper but I have to "finesse" it a little more to get it in sideways. It is much easier for me if my 14 year dd is there to help me lift it. DH will actually just lift the entire thing and set it in and pull it out.

The fact that I would be able to get it into and out of my van was the strongest selling point. I also love that it can be folded nearly flat, and stood upright like an ironing board-- it fit in the closet of the 2 cruise ships I have been on.

Have to get to bed right now but if you have any questions or want more information let me know.

Now that is amazing that you in the cruise stateroom closet. It sounds as small as the 35 pound scooter folded up, almost.

Me, too. Got to go to bed. A lot of internet researching for this thread tonight.

But I have found a lot of good information and scooters that I have never heard of before. I have been saving all the websites in my Favorites folder on my computer.

Good night all.

Some notes on the Travelscoot from their website:

SPEED AND MILEAGE
● Maximum 6 mph, with a range of 8 miles (12 miles with Li-Ion battery).

Speed and distance were ascertained by GPS with a new battery and a 180 pound person on a paved level surface. With a 330 pound load, the distance was 5.5 miles. With these parameters, the distance, with different loads, can be estimated accordingly.

Because of the lightweight design and easy maneuverablility, the TravelScoot does not have a reverse function.

The site also says that it takes eight hours to fully charge the battery.

And it does say the testing was done on a smooth level surface. At WDW most of the surfaces are smooth, but definitely not level.

Hi, Lovetoscrap. Thank you for the information and links and photo. I don't think that I have ever seen this scooter before. It looks a lot more solid than that 35 pound scooter that is listed in the previous post. Can you believe 35 pound total weight for a scooter?

My scooter is very unique. I was very fortunate to get it from a consignment so I got a very good price on it. I was told that it was being provided by the VA to their patients. Since it is still on the website I would think you can still get it. DH has seen it on ebay occasionally also. We were looking at some of those smaller ones originally but they don't hold a lot of weight (and I have a lot!) and tend to have a shorter battery life- if you have to go up hills or on rough areas it really drains the battery on many of them. I am not a "delicate" user! I take mine off roading in the grass, over gravel, up hills, over curbs, and have had a few "run ins" with immovable objects :rolleyes1

I like the way Honda Odyssey looks, too. And thanks for the description on how you load your scooter, too.

We choose the Odyssey because it had the largest trunk/seat space of any we looked at and liked that the 3rd row folded down to make a flat deck. At the time we had no idea that we would eventually be filling that space with a scooter. Depending on what your use needs are you might look at mini vans where you can fold down half of the back row if you don't need the entire thing down. That was our 2nd choice (a Toyata Sienna at that time)

Now that is amazing that you in the cruise stateroom closet. It sounds as small as the 35 pound scooter folded up, almost.

It gets pretty compact-- if you click the link you can see their demos of it and the specifications.

On the Travelscoot it isn't for everyone there is no reverse so you have to be able to push yourself back. It is listed with a 330 pound capacity but I know a few people that are using them daily that are over that weight. If you can afford it a second 6 pound battery can strap right on top if the other battery. It's a real well engineered unit. If you check the web there is at least one blog about the Travelscoot

Would you share your likes and/or dislikes of your scooter?

didn't read whole thread so i don't know if this was covered---
i now own a pride victory scooter. before i once rented from walker (no idea what model) and he also rented me a separate charger so i only had to bring the two batteries in at night and could leave the rest of the scooter in the trunk. i wish i could find something like that. my scooter has to be assembled to recharge the batteries.

dj

Before I got my new ECV and the lift, I had my DME Repair make me a charging cable. The cord from the charger would plug into it and the other end had two connectors, one for each battery. He charged me $40, parts and labor, to build it. That way I only had to plug in the batteries and could leave everything else in the trunk. Now, of course, with the lift I just plug the charger into the ECV.

7c2f_1.jpg
I really like yours. It looks comfortable, but very practical in terms of how easy it is to fold it up and transport it.
You're welcome, Sue. You have no idea how much I appreciate a that you have created such a welcoming place to come and discuss and discover new information about what ever you can think about to ask.

I can't find anyplace on the internet with so many people that have experiences that they are willing to share.
Willingness of people to share is what makes this a great place.
I keep forgetting that websites change to new sites and leave their old sites.

Or they just don't exist anymore.

I suppose that is why some photos show up as red X's when a wedsite is discontinued or moved to another website. Or when an individual account on a photo site is discontinued or time limited.

And scooters seem to always come up with newer models every couple of years with new updates, new seats, newer everything, I guess.

So, Sue, you are so right when you say, some of the links get ‘broken’ and no longer work. So, if you don’t see pictures, that might be why.
Exactly.

Although, sometimes it can be a temporary thing - sometimes the server for the site that has the pictures is temporarily unavailable. When that happens, you will get the ‘dreaded’ red x, but when you come back again, the picture is back.

But, you are correct that if the original poster or website of the picture moves it, you will get the red arrow since the computer knows there is supposed to be a picture, but no place exists to get the picture from.
That's a great website, Sue. Thanks. It is amazing how they can make the floor lower and give the car a kneeling feature so that the ramp is not as steep to drive up on to get into the car.
I LOVE our van. This is the third wheelchair van we have had and each time we buy a new one, they have improved something on it in a way that makes it better.:lovestruc
This is just too cool. I have never seen this before. Thank you so much Sue.
For someone with a manual wheelchair, this is even cooler. It’s a robot that comes out of the trunk, grabs the wheelchair, takes it and stows it in the trunk. Then the robot stows itself into the trunk.
This is a link to the information page and there is a video link further down the page.
man-riding-heavily-loaded-mobility-scooter-comfortably-through-high-traffic-area-travelscoot.jpg

The photo below shows the 35 pound total weight of the scooter and the small green, carry, duffle bag that it fits into. That is amazing to be so light.

TravelScoot%202.jpg
It certainly folds up small, but just doesn’t look very comfy for long periods to me.

Before I got my new ECV and the lift, I had my DME Repair make me a charging cable. The cord from the charger would plug into it and the other end had two connectors, one for each battery. He charged me $40, parts and labor, to build it. That way I only had to plug in the batteries and could leave everything else in the trunk. Now, of course, with the lift I just plug the charger into the ECV.

oh - i would so love to have something like this! would you be willing to let me know how to contact the people who made yours? i can't seem to find anyone here who can do it.
-dj

I have used Florida Mobility (407-826-7466) but the repair shop for your ECV should be able to get the necessary parts and do it.

I have used Florida Mobility (407-826-7466) but the repair shop for your ECV should be able to get the necessary parts and do it.

thank you very much!!! i've talked with the guy at my repair shop, who's good at repairs, but he has no clue about this. i've also talked to the manufacturer--no product exists. i've also talked to walker (since he'd rented me one once), and two other orlando companies with no luck. but i'll be calling florida mobility on monday. thanks again for the lead. i'm crossing my fingers.

didn't read whole thread so i don't know if this was covered---
i now own a pride victory scooter.

High dj2. Thanks for posting. I found a photo of a newer Pride Victory 10 scooter below. Maybe it might look similar to the one you have.

yhst-13787673511982_2114_14048356.jpg

And here is a "Brochure" for the newer Pride Victory 10 scooter below.
http://www.pridemobility.com/pdf/Brochures/Scooter/VictorySeries.pdf

And here is a "Owner's Manual" for the newer Pride Victory 10 scooter below.
http://www.pridemobility.com/pdf/owners_manuals/US_Scooter/US_Victory_10_om.pdf

...before i once rented from walker (no idea what model).... and he also rented me a separate charger so i only had to bring the two batteries in at night and could leave the rest of the scooter in the trunk. i wish i could find something like that. my scooter has to be assembled to recharge the batteries.

I was curious about what kind of scooters that you got from Walker Mobility, because I didn't recognize them from their photos. I sent a request email and received the following very quick and nice reply from Walker Mobility listed below.

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our scooters are made in America, by Ranger.

We have the 3-wheeled mobility scooter. We find them to be the most maneuverable for the parks aswell as the Disney resorts. Ranger scooters are also water resistant, so you can ride rain or shine.

Please visit our website at www.walkermobility.com for pictures.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Samantha L. Johnson
General Manager
Walker Mobility Scooter Rentals
407 518 6000
www.walkermobility.com

I tried to find the three different rangers that Walker Mobility rent from the Ranger manufacturer site.

Below is the Ranger Safari with a total weight limit of 300 pounds. There seem to be different types of Ranger scooters that Walker Mobility rent by passenger weight with a total weight limit of 300, 425, and 500 pounds. But I could only find the 300 pound scooter which I think is called the Ranger Safari. I could not find the specific 425 and 500 pound Ranger scooters on the Ranger website that Walker Mobility describes. The Ranger website describes at 360 and 450 pounds scooters.

Below is the "Brochure" for the Ranger Safari.
http://www.rangerallseason.com/images/brochure/Safari_Brochure.pdf

Below is the Ranger Solo IV HD with a total weight limit of 450 pounds, but not 425 pounds that Walker Mobility describes. There seem to be different types of Ranger scooters that Walker Mobility rent by passenger weight with a total weight limit of 300, 425, and 500 pounds.

Below is the "Brochure" for the Ranger Solo IV HD.
http://www.rangerallseason.com/images/brochure/Solo_Brochure.pdf

Does anyone have any information on the three scooters that the Walker Mobility rent?

I use the Pride Go-Go traveler Elite Plus 3 wheeled scooter. It has never let me down in the 2 years of owning it. I have taken it on different terrains that it was never built for and have not had any issues.

I also like that it only weighs 115lbs with the battery and that the battery is in one piece that I can either take off to charge or leave on the scooter to charge it. It breaks down nice and small which is one of the reasons I bought it.

I wanted a scooter that broke down easy and didn't weigh a whole lot. My Mother helps me and I wanted the weights to be ones that she can also handle. This scooter fit the bill. When I purchased the scooter I was also wearing an orthopedic boot, and the scooter had the room I needed on the footboard to allow me to comfortably stretch it out.

We mostly use our full size Ford E-150 conversion van to carry my scooter. It fits nicely in the rear of the van without any issues.

I use the Pride Go-Go traveler Elite Plus 3 wheeled scooter. It has never let me down in the 2 years of owning it. I have taken it on different terrains that it was never built for and have not had any issues.

I also like that it only weighs 115lbs with the battery and that the battery is in one piece that I can either take off to charge or leave on the scooter to charge it. It breaks down nice and small which is one of the reasons I bought it.

I wanted a scooter that broke down easy and didn't weigh a whole lot. My Mother helps me and I wanted the weights to be ones that she can also handle. This scooter fit the bill. When I purchased the scooter I was also wearing an orthopedic boot, and the scooter had the room I needed on the footboard to allow me to comfortably stretch it out.

We mostly use our full size Ford E-150 conversion van to carry my scooter. It fits nicely in the rear of the van without any issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter