Would You Still Own DVC if APs were No Longer an Option

Would you CONTINUE your DVC ownership if you were forced to buy MYW day tickets as opposed to APs?

• Total voters
I only own one Poly contract, and it is not that big, enough for 4-5 nights a year in a studio. I LOVE having an AP because we tend to do multiple, shorter trips each year since we live in easy driving distance. The cost of tickets is really high for only 2-3 days. We don't have enough DVC points to stay DVC on every trip, so we often stay at the Swan/Dolphin and we think the Swan in particular is a fantastic option. It's walking distance to two parks, typically about 1/3 the price of staying at the Yacht/Beach Club on cash, and has a ton of on-site dining. Oh yeah, and I can either use or earn loyalty points with Marriott, or get special discounts through my Amex at the Swolphin. If AP's go away, we will just enjoy staying at the Poly and only visit the parks occasionally, most likely for Epcot festivals. I will miss the easy access to the parks, but there is a lot to do in the greater Orlando area.

We are UK owners do have never been able to do lots of trips each year (although I do look back fondly on the year of 4 trips!) so have only had an AP on a couple of occasions.

That said, if ticket costs (inc genie+ and LL) continue to increase then our trips will change. I can happily stay at BLT and enjoy the Florida weather whilst getting my Disney touches via resort visits and the all important (to me) fireworks from my balcony.

We would probably stay at Disney, but not attend the parks the way we do now. I could see us at Universal and Sea World for the rides there. My family has done a few day trips to the beaches as well.

we used them all the time back when. Now with the cost of everything going berserk, we look to sell sometime next year after our Oct 2022 trip.
Since the took the clown away from my pool at BWV and just recently put him charge of getting all our money, we had enough.

I don’t think I’d sell but I’d definitely start going only once per year instead of scheming how to do my two, or three trips per year. I’ve been jonesing for some more points and was excited about the new VGF but have decided to give up on that dream unless Disney starts making some changes for the better.

We keep our annual pass active even if we only go for a week or so some years. We are Florida residents as well, so we usually buy the Silver Pass, now I believe its Pirate pass. If we end up going during a blackout time we just upgrade to the next pass (try to remember not to do this at MK) usually huge lines. I have been actually eyeing the weekday pass since I'm noticing the weekend crowds are becoming more and more crowded.
We have the Pixie Dust (formerly known as Weekday Select) AP. We only go on weekdays and just make do. We don’t live particularly close to the parks so it is a destination and we like being there with fewer crowds.

I am actually surprised by the results of this poll. I would have thought the number who would sell would be higher. I tend to forget that a lot of DVC holders are once a year / every other year guests. I used to be - and back then I didn't get AP's. So I guess it makes sense thinking it through. I only started AP's when I started using studios and budgeting for 2 shorter trips a year.
The comments don't support the poll...Is it one vote per log in?

I've been doing WDW with APs since 1999, and have been DVC since 2000. For me the two went hand in hand. I've had two trips in the last year without an Annual Pass and I miss not having it.

I also have 4 trips booked for this year. If the AP does not come back I will probable only keep one at the most. I planned this ahead enough that they all fall in the same use year as the points used to book them and all are before my banking deadline so I will not lose anything by cancelling the reservation(s).

I still enjoy DVC quite a bit so I have no desire to sell it.

We are new DVC owners but WDW regulars… but live too far away to make an AP worth it. We typically travel at spring break because when you live in Minnesota, you need to get out of the snow, and going in the summer heat is a silly idea. We typically go for a week so an AP has never made sense.

I am actually surprised by the results of this poll. I would have thought the number who would sell would be higher. I tend to forget that a lot of DVC holders are once a year / every other year guests. I used to be - and back then I didn't get AP's. So I guess it makes sense thinking it through. I only started AP's when I started using studios and budgeting for 2 shorter trips a year.

We should have a poll on how many DVC owners have an AP.

I actually thought DVC owners - like us and many that I know - go multiple times a year. It makes sense to buy the AP for many. We have the room - we book before another trip or two before the AP expires, renew and so on.

There have been times where my trip was 6 months or later down the road and did not renew. Re-purchase for that next trip booked. But that did not happen often.

Yes, some owners buy a few points so they can bank and borrow to make one trip. We always recommend that DVC is a good fit if (one reason) one plans on going at least once or once every other year. The percentage of people who add on not long after I think is high too.

I could be wrong of course. I don't have facts/figures but curious. But we are also only a small percentage of DVC owners here on DIS.

I did not vote on this poll - but replied - it is a tough question. I never say never......who knows what the future holds down the road.

Probably should have voted I don't know - but I definitely don't see us selling in the near future.

Last edited:
The comments don't support the poll...Is it one vote per log in?
I didn't vote because I probably won't sell off all of my DVC contracts. But I've been saying for a while now that we are going to have a trial separation, rent our points out and decide whether to divorce ourselves from DVC in a year or two, keep a few contracts or keep them all. Tough question to answer right now.

We usually only go around 10 days every year. I always keep our passes current. Right now, we have Florida resident Pirate Pass which works out pretty well for our travel dates.

We usually only go around 10 days every year. I always keep our passes current. Right now, we have Florida resident Pirate Pass which works out pretty well for our travel dates.

I so wish DVC people could get the fla passes. I'd gladly give up weekends and Christmas for less than half the price.

What's the reasoning Fla people get this deals? You hear really local people go every week or two for the 4-6 hours. They probably spent very little on those visits.

I so wish DVC people could get the fla passes. I'd gladly give up weekends and Christmas for less than half the price.

What's the reasoning Fla people get this deals? You hear really local people go every week or two for the 4-6 hours. They probably spent very little on those visits.

Floridians don't have to come. We do.

Yes … we only go once a year anyway - and it’s always the same first week of March - so have never gotten an annual pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter