Wow! Whoopie bashes scooters and larger strollers on the View today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bete

DIS Veteran
I couldn't believe it. She mostly knocked scooters, but she had some digs on larger strollers like the two and three wide kind.

She was just at Disney doing the Candlelight Processional. She claims she almost got run over and the scooter person was beeping at her and telling her to get out of the way. She was not nice about her comments.

There are other threads addressing this on the Just For Fun Community Board and Theme Parks and attractions. I don't know how to link.

I just thought everyone would like to know about this, here.

What she said that I found so offensive was along the lines of (not an exact quote, I'm sure): "Three quarters of the people on those scooters just eat too much and if they got up and walked they wouldn't need to use them." I was appalled and have lost all respect for her. I have no issue with her talking about people with strollers and on scooters being courteous *as should all others*! I do object to her classifying 3/4s of people on scooters as being fat and lazy and not having real disabilities.

I have yet to see the whole video, but what I have seen is disgusting. I did not particularly like her before, but now she has lost all respect.

I am going to see the whole video, then write to Disney, ABC, the View, and to her personally with my opinions.

Don't forget, The View is an ABC, meaning Disney, show.

What she said that I found so offensive was along the lines of (not an exact quote, I'm sure): "Three quarters of the people on those scooters just eat too much and if they got up and walked they wouldn't need to use them." I was appalled and have lost all respect for her. I have no issue with her talking about people with strollers and on scooters being courteous *as should all others*! I do object to her classifying 3/4s of people on scooters as being fat and lazy and not having real disabilities.

I now consider Whoopi a HORRIBLE :sick: and sick woman. I never really enjoyed her personality and now I just find her repulsive.

Whoopi is not a medical professional, but I am. I know there are 100's of medical reasons a person may require or prefer a scooter while at WDW.

Yes, being morbidly obese is a good reason to use a scooter...and the reason a person is morbidly obese is not Whoopi's business. WDW invites many type of guests, even those that are pooh sized. One type of guest that WDW will not accept is a guest ruining the magic for all the other guests... like Whoopi.

I can hardy imagine that Disney would want Whoopi ruining their image... especially since she is on their payroll.

Whoopi=vile:mad:

[/COLOR]

I now consider Whoopi a HORRIBLE :sick: and sick woman. I never really enjoyed her personality and now I just find her repulsive.

Whoopi is not a medical professional, but I am. I know there are 100's of medical reasons a person may require or prefer a scooter while at WDW.

Yes, being morbidly obese is a good reason to use a scooter...and the reason a person is morbidly obese is not Whoopi's business. WDW invites many type of guests, even those that are pooh sized. One type of guest that WDW will not accept is a guest ruining the magic for all the other guests... like Whoopi.

I can hardy imagine that Disney would want Whoopi ruining their image... especially since she is on their payroll.

Whoopi=vile:mad:

I stopped watching The View a couple of years ago because of Whoopie's and Joy's insulting comments. I just wanted to add to your comment regarding medical reasons that many times weight gain is due to medical reasons. For example, 10 years ago I used to jog 2-3 miles a day and sometimes 5 miles a day. I slipped on wet grass and wound up in a leg cast for 6 weeks. I also injured a groin muscle that cannot be repaired and have had several surgeries for Morton's neuroma and rotocuff calcification. I also have arthritis and fibromyalgia. Needless to say, any form of excercise (including swimming) is very painful. This has caused weight gain. I only use the scooter for extensive walking. Therefore, what many people fail to realize is that many medical conditions result in lack of excercise resulting in weight gain which is why you see so many overweight people using scooters. People should never judge a book by its cover.

iuki

Not only because of their medical issues they are unable to excercise, a lot of drugs such as prednisone and other steroid type meds cause weight gain. Have a person a size zero on these type meds for a while and see if they don't gain weight. It isn't that the person wants to be that way, its that no matter what they do they can't win when the meds put the weight on faster than you can shake a stick at.

I used to like Whoopi, but I have lost all respect for her onver the years especially since being on the View.

Not only because of their medical issues they are unable to excercise, a lot of drugs such as prednisone and other steroid type meds cause weight gain. Have a person a size zero on these type meds for a while and see if they don't gain weight. It isn't that the person wants to be that way, its that no matter what they do they can't win when the meds put the weight on faster than you can shake a stick at.

I used to like Whoopi, but I have lost all respect for her onver the years especially since being on the View.

i gained 10% of my body weight in just 6 weeks on prednisone! I was still smaller, but that is just short-term use of the med. It is so easy for weight to get out of control when you are sick/injured/disabled!

Not saying I wish this on her, but let's see how fast she changes her tune if she ever has need of a wheelchair/scooter. She'll be out there raising money and advocating in a heartbeat, talking about the plight of those in wheelchairs and those who need scooters.

She's entitled to her opinion of course, but it becomes a different story when that opinion is broadcast on national tv.

Kate, if you write that letter, I think I speak for at least a few people around here that you can add our names to it too.

A lot of the comments go along the lines of "if people would just put the donuts down, they won't need the ECV."
That seems to be the major assumption that people make about guests who are overweight who are using ECVs.
As was pointed out already in this thread, some people have health related reasons for having gained weight. Others may have what seems like 'lifestyle' related weight problems. But, is it food choice or busy lifestyle or psychological factors?
Whatever the reason for someone being overweight, the answer is obviously not as easy as "put the donuts down."
If it was, there would not be a multi-million dollar weight loss industry and there would not be people willing to do drastic things like bariatric surgery or embarrasing things like applying to TV shows like Biggest Loser.

Whatever the reason for the weight, it doesn't change the fact that the person using the ECV decided that they needed an ECV to get around.
That person is the only one whose opinion matters.

Not saying I wish this on her, but let's see how fast she changes her tune if she ever has need of a wheelchair/scooter. She'll be out there raising money and advocating in a heartbeat, talking about the plight of those in wheelchairs and those who need scooters.

She's entitled to her opinion of course, but it becomes a different story when that opinion is broadcast on national tv.

Kate, if you write that letter, I think I speak for at least a few people around here that you can add our names to it too.

If I write the letter, I will post it here. I would encourage anyone else who is uncomfortable or offended by what she said to write to Disney about it. After all, everything I have read on the internet except people on this board is in support of her! We should make our voices heard.

If I write the letter, I will post it here. I would encourage anyone else who is uncomfortable or offended by what she said to write to Disney about it. After all, everything I have read on the internet except people on this board is in support of her! We should make our voices heard.
::yes::

I was reading one of those "Omg she's so right, HAHA!!" posts earlier. I was going to reply but it's not worth it. The post will be locked soon enough.

I just think it's disgusting that it's not until people experience these kinds of things for themselves that they just don't get it. I've never needed to rely on a wheelchair or scooter (only been in a wheelchair when I fainted at school and they wouldn't let me walk) but I still understand that it's not fair to jump to conclusions about why someone may be using them. I believe that there are people using wheelchairs and scooters to abuse the system, and there are some people that are using those things because they're heavy, it'd be naive not too, but I guess my point it people have to learn it's not fair to paint everyone with the same brush. And it's not until some of these naysayers end up being dependant on a wheelchair or scooter, or have someone close to them in that situation, that they suddenly go on and on about the rights of the disabled and how they're allowed to do this and allowed access to that because of that device and how they can't believe how other people bad talk people in wheelchairs and they scream and fight other people about "I'm in a wheelchair, you just don't get it!" kind of thing. (Sorry, that was quite the runon sentence)

On the subject of Ms Goldberg, she should know better than to go on that show and say something like this. How many times have they knocked the little blonde (I don't watch the show, I just watch the backlash on here) for saying something insulting and she should have expected people to disagree with her. She'll probably be on in the next couple days saying how she never meant to insult those in wheelchairs and scooters, just that they should learn how to drive them.

I didn't see this piece on tv but she sure does annoy me!

I am actually a bit worried because our vacation is coming up and I seem to have done something to my foot. I am starting to think I may be one of those people in a scooter during our vacation - and i am not looking forward to the stares of those who think I'm in it because I'm fat and lazy! :(

I have yet to see the whole video, but what I have seen is disgusting. I did not particularly like her before, but now she has lost all respect.

I am going to see the whole video, then write to Disney, ABC, the View, and to her personally with my opinions.

Don't forget, The View is an ABC, meaning Disney, show.

:thumbsup2

I think this is what everyone needs to do!

and Whoopi never made any bad comments about wheelchair use.

Not too many people understand mobility issues with using a scooter until they have to face it themselves.

She bashed scooters a lot more than strollers in her spiel. I'll be watching today to see if there's an apology given about all of this. I'm not holding my breadth, but we shall see how well Disney watches ABC and it's content.

Could someone post the address for us to write a letter to Disney.

I went to the View website this morning. The full episode from yesterday, 12-13 can be watched from there. Whoopi makes her comments about 8 minutes into the show. She goes on about it for 3 minutes. You have to listen to an advertisement and it takes a little bit to load before you can begin watching it.

Seeing it for a second time even makes me feel worse. There is a message board on the site and there's a post (fat people and carts) about her comments. The posts go both ways on this topic. I tried to post myself there, but I couldn't do it. I'm not a geek; so, I'll try later about it. You do need to register to post there.

I didn't see this piece on tv but she sure does annoy me!

I am actually a bit worried because our vacation is coming up and I seem to have done something to my foot. I am starting to think I may be one of those people in a scooter during our vacation - and i am not looking forward to the stares of those who think I'm in it because I'm fat and lazy! :(

Don't worry about the stares--those don't get to you near as much as the comments about you, 'cause obviously, if you are in a chair or on a scooter, you can't hear either. The comments to your face aren't often nice either.

If you feel you need the scooter, use it. It took my husband quite a bit of work to convince me, and a trip to Busch Gardens here at home where I refused and ended up in bed for two days afterward with him saying I told you so was what finally ended up doing it. The bruise on my hand from the cane also helped :)

It is a pain to have to use one, but it will allow you to go places and do things with your family that you would either miss, or be in too much pain to enjoy if you don't use one...and when it comes down to it, the only opinions that matter are those of you and your family.

Unfortunately this topic just focusses on the negative and that is obviously not welcomed in this board.

Combine powers and something good can come out of it. Efforts put together and communicated to Disney will be easier to get heared than being a single one yelling in the dessert. I do not care what mobility aid one uses; we all will be feeling the effect of the increase of those using mobility aids. And as expected when you combine something as huge as WDW and healthproblems, we do see a lot more ECV's than wheelchairs. No surprise there at all, no judgement, but it is what it is. It doesn't matter if one uses an ECV or wheelchair, all will be having to deal with the increase. Some will have more options as others when being able to transfer, but all will be facing some influence somewhere. Let's focus energy on how this could possibly be tackled and how this could be communicated to Disney. Only focussing on making things better will in the end offer any chance of improvement.

we can't put blinders on about this topic, either.

This was public television and it needs to be known especially on these boards what was said by Whoopi in this regard. It somewhat affects some of us personally.

Celebritries are watched and listened to moreso; they are in an important role and need to be careful about what they say when they haven't done the proper research about the situation. This was the second time Whoopi has done the Candlelight Processional and you can't tell me she didn't know about this factor from last year. If it bothered her so much why did she come back?

I felt there was a high insensitivity on her part with her comments. It wasn't necessary. If she had talked about rudeness in today's society I don't think I would feel as bad.

I stopped watching The View a couple of years ago because of Whoopie's and Joy's insulting comments.

Funny I stopped watching because Elisabeth was so rude and clueless. :rotfl: Reading many of the responses I'm dimayed that so many feel they must defend their use of a scooter. If you need help USE IT. Unfortunately Whoopie showed her ignornace. But it sounds like some "entitled" people did the rest of us a diservice by being rude and fostering so many misconceptions.

On the ABC website for the View there is a contact us section.

I sent my comments there.

Of course there is no excuse for rudness, if you are thin, obese, walking or scooting. But her comments were rude and showed ignorance.

My mom now requires a scooter. Yes, she is overweight. But her weight is a result of her medical conditions. First chronic lung disease limits her ability to breathe and second a fall on her job injured her knee. Both of which means she cant excercise like she needs to. Can she walk? Of course she can. Does she have the tolerance for walking all day at Disney- no. By using her scooter, she is able to spend time with her family and her grandchildren.

My last thing to add....

For those who are offended by scooters and big strollers....

Dont go to Disney in March....

I will be there with my mom- on the scooter and my granddaughters in the double stroller. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter