Wow! Whoopie bashes scooters and larger strollers on the View today

Status
Not open for further replies.
we can't put blinders on about this topic, either.

This was public television and it needs to be known especially on these boards what was said by Whoopi in this regard. It somewhat affects some of us personally.

Celebritries are watched and listened to moreso; they are in an important role and need to be careful about what they say when they haven't done the proper research about the situation. This was the second time Whoopi has done the Candlelight Processional and you can't tell me she didn't know about this factor from last year. If it bothered her so much why did she come back?

I felt there was a high insensitivity on her part with her comments. It wasn't necessary. If she had talked about rudeness in today's society I don't think I would feel as bad.

Bete, don't get my critique (spelling?) wrong. It was not directed at you personally.

We will not change Whoopi. However I'm convinced we can make a positive difference if just as much energy would be put in voicing the need for expension of the accessibility features, for all of us that need to use them for whatever reason. Recent history has proven that WDW is able to listen to constant outcry for certain changes. We've got enough folks on here and enough sensible ones that can carry their opinions very well. Guess I'm a soft woos but I find it such a shame to see such hypersensitivity being put on bashing that the real problems we all face get burried beneath that. We can do better and do deserve better.

Again; NOTHING personal against you. If I were to make the policy (which I'm OBVIOUSLY not), I'ld not even consider closing this thread. You're not hurting anyone with it, you want to vent, that is your right to decide. It is purely aimed beyond this thread, not in your direction. Heck, it's not even close to personal to the mods. As said I appreciate what the do on the boards, but I am voicing an opinion about the policy that seems to be followed.

Feel free to label me as a nutcase, pshyco, jerk, or whatever. Just know that my posting is not personal towards you or calling for this topic to be closed.

I watched the clip of this a bit ago. While I agree that she was over the top and her comments about overweight people were absolutely rude, I do think that her main frustration was with those that use scooters recklessly or inconsiderately. Frankly, I share her frustration and I am a scooter user! Unfortunately I think we suffer from the same thing that any group does-- the bad apples are the ones that get noticed, talked about and we all get lumped in with them. :sad2:

The same with stroller pushing mamas. The ones that push and shove and use their strollers as battering rams or think they deserve extra privileges make all stroller parents look bad. And those 2 others trying to defend it, Sheri and Elizabeth?, just made it worse. Millions of moms are perfectly capable of figuring out how to not run over people with a stroller everyday, and have no troubles getting their kids in the strollers and strapped and whatever else she said, and still be a decent considerate person at the same time. But the few that can't are who stick in the minds of people and become the stereotype.:mad:

People aren't really prejudiced against people on scooters, or even fat people on scooters, they are prejudiced against rude and inconsiderate people on scooters. I am a fat person on a scooter (although still a little shy of the 9000 lb mark ;) ) and I get lots of smiles, help from people, wonderful conversations, curious questions, and even some compliments. I wait patiently when necessary, say excuse me a lot, stay very vigilant to those around me so we can all stay safe, smile and laugh and do all I can to be friendly. Not just at WDW but anytime I am out.

I haven't discussed it here but I did get an extremely rude comment from someone going by on my last trip while waiting for a parade and it literally caused those around me to gasp and express their disbelief for what had been said. We had all been chatting and having a great time sharing stories. I would like to think that they came away from that experience thinking about how wonderful people on scooters are and how rude others can be to them and they will keep that in mind as they deal with others and maybe even pass the story on.

The best thing that we can really do is to be the ambassador for our group. Be the considerate, friendly, good apple ECV user and maybe they will remember you instead of someone else. :thumbsup2

A reminder to posters - IF you have comments about Moderation and how it is being done, please PM us. DON'T make comments about Moderation style or what we should do on a post.

We are volunteers with personal lives and can't be on the Boards 24 hours a day.

Sometimes, we do see that a subject is headed down a pathway that has ended up negatively before - in that case we may close it permanently if we feel it can't be turned around.
Sometimes, we feel we can bring it back to a positive point, but don't have time right then or feel it needs a 'cooling off' period, so we close it until one of us is free to deal with it.

my gripes...

1) My mother uses a scooter.. Her problem started with a Ankle injury, which she had surgery for. But because she refused to do physical therapy and would rather have others wait on her as well as weight gain she now uses a scooter.. Yes i tell her to her face to get up and move around because it will only get worse.. In all reality if she wasn't, for the lack of a better word, so lazy she would not have the issues she has now.. She would be able to get around without a scooter..

2) You all have to admit there are a lot of people that use scooters because of weight issues. People in the US love to blame everyone else but themselves. burger king made me fat, its the corn syrup, non-organic food, medication.. When it comes down to it you are responsible for your own actions and the consequences of those actions. I am a big guy, but its not because of genetics, or some fast food store made me big, it is because of the choices i made. I take responsibly for this and am trying to change the choices i make, which is something that is laking in this country. People love to point the finger as long as its away from themselves. It the same with medical conditions.. There are people that lay down and take it and other that fight.. I have friends that have HIV, Lupus, cancer, or have been disabled for their entire life.. There are the one that wake up every morning refusing to give in and fight to stay as healthy as they can. Then there is the one or two friends that i had that use their illness as a crutch, and the reason for all their problems..

3) There is a rash of people that don't need scooters using them out of pure laziness.. I have seen this in the stores where i live.. and before you comment on i may not know their problems, please consider this.. A family of 4 all in the store scooters, 2 parents and 2 kids wheeling around the store.. One of my teachers, perfectly healthy using a scooter, because she feels shes entitled to it.. (Her words)..

4) Just because you are in a scooter other people do exist. I can't tell you how many times i have been hit or almost hit by people in scooters and they give me a dirty look for not jumping out of their way.. If i can i will get out of peoples way but being in a scooter in no way entitles you to be a jerk.. If the park is busy there is no reason to hit your horn and use your scooter as a battling ram.. Just because you are in a scooter that is not a reason to push your way in front of me 5 minutes before an event when have been waiting for an hour..

Again most of this falls on 2 major issues..
1- People not taking responsibly for their own actions.
2- A sense of entitlement.

We all payed to be in the park and we all have a right to the same attractions, shows and lines.. Yes there should be accommodations, but you are not entitled to more than everyone else.

last note.. I know where the emergency shutoff on your scooter is and i'm not afraid to use it..

Ok, This is a forum for support and advice. I am not saying whether you are right or wrong, though my personal opinion differs from yours at times. I am saying that we try to keep things positive here, and this post is not helping.

I am sorry your mom has problems you see as due to lack of exercise or poor decision making. But please try to keep the judgments of others (especially based on those sight alone) off this board - we try to keep things positive and supportive here, and this post is neither of those things.

At what point do you see people here demanding "more than everyone else?" All we are demanding are our rights and politeness in regards to our medical needs. Not special treatment.

As a final thought, if you touch a person's scooter that is not yours, it is legally considered assault. If you touch my mobility device to turn it off because in YOUR judgement I am doing something wrong, I will at the very least have you removed from the park. If you injure me, I will have you arrest and charged with assault. Legally, my chair is part of my body and you can no more touch it than you can touch my flesh.

my gripes...

1) My mother uses a scooter.. Her problem started with a Ankle injury, which she had surgery for. But because she refused to do physical therapy and would rather have others wait on her as well as weight gain she now uses a scooter.. Yes i tell her to her face to get up and move around because it will only get worse.. In all reality if she wasn't, for the lack of a better word, so lazy she would not have the issues she has now.. She would be able to get around without a scooter..

2) You all have to admit there are a lot of people that use scooters because of weight issues. People in the US love to blame everyone else but themselves. burger king made me fat, its the corn syrup, non-organic food, medication.. When it comes down to it you are responsible for your own actions and the consequences of those actions. I am a big guy, but its not because of genetics, or some fast food store made me big, it is because of the choices i made. I take responsibly for this and am trying to change the choices i make, which is something that is laking in this country. People love to point the finger as long as its away from themselves. It the same with medical conditions.. There are people that lay down and take it and other that fight.. I have friends that have HIV, Lupus, cancer, or have been disabled for their entire life.. There are the one that wake up every morning refusing to give in and fight to stay as healthy as they can. Then there is the one or two friends that i had that use their illness as a crutch, and the reason for all their problems..

3) There is a rash of people that don't need scooters using them out of pure laziness.. I have seen this in the stores where i live.. and before you comment on i may not know their problems, please consider this.. A family of 4 all in the store scooters, 2 parents and 2 kids wheeling around the store.. One of my teachers, perfectly healthy using a scooter, because she feels shes entitled to it.. (Her words)..

4) Just because you are in a scooter other people do exist. I can't tell you how many times i have been hit or almost hit by people in scooters and they give me a dirty look for not jumping out of their way.. If i can i will get out of peoples way but being in a scooter in no way entitles you to be a jerk.. If the park is busy there is no reason to hit your horn and use your scooter as a battling ram.. Just because you are in a scooter that is not a reason to push your way in front of me 5 minutes before an event when have been waiting for an hour..

Again most of this falls on 2 major issues..
1- People not taking responsibly for their own actions.
2- A sense of entitlement.

We all payed to be in the park and we all have a right to the same attractions, shows and lines.. Yes there should be accommodations, but you are not entitled to more than everyone else.

last note.. I know where the emergency shutoff on your scooter is and i'm not afraid to use it..

Even if that was a joke, coming onto a disabilities board and saying something like "I know where the emergency shut off is and I'm not afraid to use it" is crossing a line. Would you make a joke or threaten to harm a service animal so that someone couldn't use it or bring it into a park? Would you shut off someone's hearing aid? Would you hide a blind person's cane? I don't know if you were being serious or making a joke, but it wasn't right.

At the time of the circumstance I felt Whoopi's comments pierced my heart; so, I started this thread.

I love Disney and the DisBoards too much for there to be hard feelings on one of my posts.

I respect everyone's opinion's, but if a thread is headed down the wrong path I had no intentions of starting it for that purpose.

I somewhat feel this thread has been hijacked; so, feel free to close it. My feelings will not be hurt. I wish those who want to express an opinion about an area that is off topic would do it in a different way, not here.

Wow - this board is soooooo lopsided. There will be posts about how a person with a disability (or a child with one) said something rude in reply, or felt like ramming someone, etc and it is supported and applauded by others, but when the reverse occurs, the condemnation is wicked!

I'm done - I've tried, but the hypocrisy is so blatant that it makes me sick.

I think Whoopie's comments were a good thing to discuss because they were made like many comments like them are made.
Out of frustration. Out of ignorance. Out of prejudice.

Do many overweight people use ECVs?
Yes, BUT, we have read over and over on the DISBOARDS that all the people using ECVs were overweight. So, on several trips, my DH kept a little tab of people on ECVs and people walking as he waited for DD and I to use the bathroom. And, guess what he found?
The number of overweight people on ECVs was proportional to the number of walkers who were overweight. So, if you actually tracked it out, the percentage of overweight people on ECVs is very similar to the percentage not using ECVs. It's just that those walking tend to blend into the crowd, while those in ECVs are very, very noticeable.
Americans in general are getting heavier, but contrary to common belief, heavier people are not more likely to use ECVs - they are just more noticeable.

Most everyone has seen the impatient person while driving. He's the guy (or lady) who is always switching lanes on the highway to get ahead a few feet.
The one who sees the following distance between you and the car ahead and figures his car will fit. Goes too fast, passes anyone not going as fast because they are 'in the way' . His behavior is rude! That car doesn't usually get in any accidents, but causes accidents as people are reacting to his behavior.

Put him walking at WDW, and he will do the same kind of rude 'jockeying for position'. Because he's walking, he can blend in and most people won't notice him unless they are the person who has to stop because of him. He's a big cause of ECVs and strollers hitting others because they can't react as well to his entering their space.
Give him a stroller, and the perception changes from rude guy to 'Guy with a stroller who is using it as a battering ram'. The behavior didn't change, the perception did.
Give the same guy an ECV and he'll keep doing the same rude behavior, but the perception will change to 'wild and inconsiderate ECV driver'. No, he was wild, rude and inconsiderate before. All that changed is now he's using a scooter to do it and his rude behavior no longer blends in.
Add him being overweight and the perception changes again. He becomes a 'rude, inconsiderate fat and lazy guy on an ECV' when he's actually no more likely to be heavier or lazier than the other guests who are walking. He just doesn't blend in any more.

And, what about the lady behind you when you are waiting at a traffic light who beeps her horn the millisecond that the light turns green (even if you can't move because the intersection has not cleared). Well she's impatient and rude.
Putting her on an ECV at WDW doesnt change her behavior. She's still rude and inconsiderate. She's just doing it on an ECV and becoming noticeable. No one pays much attention to the patient ECV drivers, but they make assumptions about all ECV drivers based on their experience with her.
And, if you throw in that she is overweight- more prejudice.

I am not and have never been overweight, but I have good friends who have been fighting to lose weight for years. One was also a smoker. She quit smoking, but said losing weight was so much harder because you can give up cigarettes and never have to have another one. Can't give up eating.
And, guess what, most overweight people already know they are overweight. They don't need other people to tell them.
Some people can't loose weight or did put weight on because of medical reasons. Whatever the reason, if it was easy to loose weight, we would not be seeing constant commercials for weight loss programs and would not have TV programs like the Biggest Loser.
And if someone is out of shape ( heavy or not) the time to get fit and walk is not on a trip to WDW when they will be walking 3-10 miles a day. That's just a recipe for pain.

Wow - this board is soooooo lopsided. There will be posts about how a person with a disability (or a child with one) said something rude in reply, or felt like ramming someone, etc and it is supported and applauded by others, but when the reverse occurs, the condemnation is wicked!

I'm done - I've tried, but the hypocrisy is so blatant that it makes me sick.
I'm not sure just what you are talking about.
Rude in response to rude is never a good tactic and I have said that over and over again when someone proposes to do a rude action.
Ramming someone or saying something rude in retaliation just adds to the rudeness. People CAN and sometimes do feel that way, when people have done something rude to them, but to ACT on it by making rude comments or threatening to do something like turn off someones power is rude.

I think Whoopie's comments were a good thing to discuss because they were made like many comments like them are made.

Yes, BUT, we have read over and over on the DISBOARDS that all the people using ECVs were overweight. So, on several trips, my DH kept a little tab of people on ECVs and people walking as he waited for DD and I to use the bathroom. And, guess what he found?
The number of overweight people on ECVs was proportional to the number of walkers who were overweight. So, if you actually tracked it out, the percentage of overweight people on ECVs is very similar to the percentage not using ECVs. It's just that those walking tend to blend into the crowd, while those in ECVs are very, very noticeable.
Americans in general are getting heavier, but contrary to common belief, heavier people are not more likely to use ECVs - they are just more noticeable.

Most everyone has seen the impatient person while driving. He's the guy (or lady) who is always switching lanes on the highway to get ahead a few feet. H
The one who sees the following distance between you and the car ahead and figures his car will fit. Goes to fast, passes anyone not going as fast because they are 'in the way' . His behavior is rude! That car doesn't usually get in any accidents, but causes accidents as people are reacting to his behavior.

Put him walking at WDW, and he will do the same kind of rude 'jockeying for position'. Because he's walking, he can blend in and most people won't notice him unless the are the person who has to stop because of him. He's a big cause of ECVs and strollers hitting others because they can't react as well to his entering their space.
Give him a stroller, and the perception changes from rude guy to 'Guy with a stroller who is using it as a battering ram'. The behavior didn't change, the perception did.
Give the same guy an ECV and he'll keep doing the same rude behavior, but the perception will change to 'wild and inconsiderate ECV driver'. No, he wild, rude and in considerate before. All that changed is now he's using a scooter to do it and his rude behavior no longer blends in.
Add him being overweight and the perception changes again. He becomes a 'rude, inconsiderate fat and lazy guy on an ECV when he's actually no more likely to be heavier or lazier than the other guests who are walking. He just doesn't blend in any more.

And, the lady behind you when you are waiting at a traffic light who beeps her horn the millisecond that the light turns green (even if you can't move because the intersection has not cleared). Well she's impatient and rude. Putting her on an ECV at WDW doesnt change her behavior. She's still rude and inconsiderate. She's just doing it on an ECV and becoming noticeable. No one pays much attention to the patient ECV drivers, but they make assumptions about all ECV drivers based on their experience with her.

I am not and have never been overweight, but I have good friends who have been fighting to loose weight for years. One was also a smoker. She quit smoking, but said losing weight us so much harder because you can give up cigarette and never have to have another one. Can't give up eating.
And, guess what, most overweight people already know they are overweight. They don't need other people to tell them.
Some people can't loose weight or did put weight on because of medical reasons. Whatever the reason, if it was easy to loose weight, we would not be seeing constant commercials for weight loss programs and would not have TV programs like the biggest loser.
And if someone is out of shape ( heavy or not) the time to get fit and walk is not on a trip to WDW when they will be walking 3-10 miles a day. That's just a recipe for pain.

Sue, have you been told lately what an insightful and intelligent person you are? Consider it done. :hug: Karen

Most everyone has seen the impatient person while driving. He's the guy (or lady) who is always switching lanes on the highway to get ahead a few feet. H
The one who sees the following distance between you and the car ahead and figures his car will fit. Goes to fast, passes anyone not going as fast because they are 'in the way' . His behavior is rude! That car doesn't usually get in any accidents, but causes accidents as people are reacting to his behavior.

Put him walking at WDW, and he will do the same kind of rude 'jockeying for position'. Because he's walking, he can blend in and most people won't notice him unless the are the person who has to stop because of him. He's a big cause of ECVs and strollers hitting others because they can't react as well to his entering their space.
Give the same guy an ECV and he'll keep doing the same rude behavior, but the perception will change to 'wild and inconsiderate ECV driver'. No, he wild, rude and in considerate before. All that changed is now he's using a scooter to do it and his rude behavior no longer blends in.
Add him being overweight and the perception changes again. He becomes a 'rude, inconsiderate fat and lazy guy on an ECV when he's actually no more likely to be heavier or lazier than the other guests who are walking. He just doesn't blend in any more.

And, the lady behind you when you are waiting at a traffic light who beeps her horn the millisecond that the light turns green (even if you can't move because the intersection has not cleared). Well she's impatient and rude. Putting her on an ECV at WDW doesnt change her behavior. She's still rude and inconsiderate. She's just doing it on an ECV and becoming noticeable. No one pays much attention to the patient ECV drivers, but they make assumptions about all ECV drivers based on their experience with her.

I am not and have never been overweight, but I have good friends who have been fighting to loose weight for years. One was also a smoker. She quit smoking, but said losing weight us so much harder because you can give up cigarette and never have to have another one. Can't give up eating.
Some people can't loose weight or did put weight on because of medical reasons. Whatever the reason, if it was easy to loose weight, we would not be seeing constant commercials for weight loss programs and would not have TV programs like the biggest loser.

Sue...
Your post is the most wise on here. It is right on target and makes some very accurate and valid points.

By definition of my BMI, I am obese. I am a walking obese. By definition of my BMI, to be within my "healthy range" because I am so short, I would need to weigh 100 pounds. At 45, that is not possible and I would look anorexic. Do I need to exercise more to be more healthy? Sure I do. And just like the smoker who knows they need to quit, that knows that smoking is bad for their health, when I am mentally ready, I will make that commitment to myself and only to myself. Not because I am concerned about what others think of me. God made people in all shapes and sizes and He loves us all, just the way we are.

I have to agree with Karen, Sue. The way you put it about how people are in normal everyday situations and then to give them different scenarios was eye opening. I had never thought about it that way before, but you are right. Those are the same people who everyone deals with on a everyday basis, but they stand out more in certain situations more than others. They are the ones who give everyone else the bad reputation.

Thank-you for writing it in such a way.

I have to agree with Karen, Sue. The way you put it about how people are in normal everyday situations and then to give them different scenarios was eye opening. I had never thought about it that way before, but you are right. Those are the same people who everyone deals with on a everyday basis, but they stand out more in certain situations more than others. They are the ones who give everyone else the bad reputation.

Thank-you for writing it in such a way.

Closing thread at this point since we can end it at a positive point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter