Wrote a negative Trip Advisor review (Coronado) about my stay, CS told me to stay somewhere else...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate receiving rooms that aren't properly cleaned! I would be annoyed too, but would definitely let housekeeping take care of it and not clean it myself.

That said, I can't blame the resort for not accommodating a room request--it's always clear that requests may not be accommodated. I too have a special needs child and two other kids who are not special needs but too young to be in a room on their own. For that reason, we never book a separate room from them. We'll book a room at a resort with enough space for everyone to be in the same room or suite--Disney has a lot of rooms for larger families. Might be more expensive than two rooms, but not always, and we budget accordingly on other things to make it possible (fewer nights, no park hoppers etc.) As for the supposedly empty room, it could be someone did book that room but they are early riser/late night people and you just never crossed paths during the day, or, more likely, the room was out of commission for some reason (e.g., broken toilet or the prior guest tested positive for Covid and they weren't letting new guests in as a precaution).

Seems like a reasonable response from them. What's the problem?

I don't think "they told" you to stay somewhere else. They seem to suggest maybe looking at other options, particularly in light of the fact that you mentioned GD Tower as a reason why and they clearly cannot make that go away for your personal pleasure.

Also you don’t know what was going on with that room. Maybe they had already slotted someone to stay in there arriving a couple days after you and they cancelled. I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t just make things up to annoy you or make your life difficult. You aren’t guaranteed connecting rooms. If it was that important to you then maybe you should have stayed in one of the family suites or a DVC resort and gotten a 2 bedroom.

This isn’t super helpful now, but relatedly when I talked to a CM at CBR about arriving really late (2am) for our check in, she told me that if I paid my balance in full my room was guaranteed regardless if I showed up or not, so when I showed up was irrelevant to them. I don’t know if that’s true, but if it is—could someone have paid in full and never cancelled at all? So the room was waiting as a guarantee that the CMs had no control over?

It still sucks that you had a bad experience. I love the story of an earlier poster of the ceramic Mickey when a lamp was burned out! I miss CS like that everywhere nowadays!

So, when you hit the housekeeping button it really does go to on site housekeeping.

When you try to call the front desk it goes to a call center off site. When they "transfer" you to is transferred within call center ops... Off site.

This location may no longer be the perfect fit for your family, but I do hope you'll consider giving one of our other properties a try during a future visit.
Sorry you had room related issues with your recent stay at CSR. The exterior lighting issues are to be expected with the reduced staffing levels at the current time.

You mentioned that you called the Front desk concerning your room issues did you consider calling to report any exterior lighting outages that made you or your family uncomfortable?

The quote I included above is not telling you to stay somewhere else so your title is quie misleading. Just indicating that if you were not going to stay at CSR again they had hope that you would consider another Disney resort.

Dave

This is all a matter of opinion, but my thoughts are in red as to how the response could have been re-worded in a way that may have appeased OP. I say this as someone who used to work in hospitality and customer service, and know a little word-smithing can go a long way, so I'm just looking at the structure of the response.

We strive to ensure our Guests can always count on outstanding service and pristine, well-maintained accommodations, and I'm truly sorry to learn of your disappointment. If you even encounter something in your room that appears to have been missed by our Housekeeping team, I would encourage you to reach out to the Front Desk or Housekeeping. We conveniently have preset buttons on your in-room phone, and our teams would be happy to send someone to your room at your earliest convenience. They apologize for OP's disappointment and explain how they can reach out to housekeeping, but never apologize for what OP perceived to be housekeeping's poor job at servicing the room. Even adding a sentence like "We apologize if Housekeeping missed XYZ" would likely have helped here. I know you had mentioned some concerns about the service you received from the Front Desk, and I do want to assure you that no incorrect information was provided about the availability of the adjoining room. I'm not sure how the customer service rep responding to this email could possibly even know this. Again, instead of saying this, which an already aggrieved person may take offense to, it may be better to say something like "We apologize if the Front Desk didn't fully address your question" - its not an admission of guilt, and they are acknowledging the OP's concerns rather than making implications. We certainly understand you're paying a premium to stay with us, and our Cast Members do everything they can to ensure a magical and seamless experience for our Guests. Obviously, OP didn't feel that CMs did "everything they can" and OP didn't have a magical or seamless experience in OP's mind. I think this line is fine, but acknowledging how the OP must have felt when this wasn't achieved would have likely helped.

I am sorry to hear that Disney's Coronado Springs Resort has lost some of its luster for you since the recent addition of Gran Destino Tower. While I personally loved all the changes that were made
this sounds... pretentious? Odd? I know its not the intention, but it almost implies OP must have bad taste if they don't like the GDT changes. I can certainly understand where you're coming from as well. This location may no longer be the perfect fit for your family, but I do hope you'll consider giving one of our other properties a try during a future visit. IMO, this line is the biggest miss. It makes the complainant feel unwelcome at the resort again, and doesn't give any confidence that their concerns will be considered. I also might expect to see the response say something to the effect of "this is not our standard" - putting the complainant on notice that what was experienced was an exception and not up to par for the resort. The email conveys that the resort did not drop the ball, it just is what it is, and that OP just straight up doesn't mesh with their resort. This wasn't OP saying "I hate the cacti around the resort", but what seem to be valid concerns of potential deficiencies in some cases. In the current environment and in a business that relies on customer satisfaction, its just an odd stance to take IMO.

I am sorry to hear that Disney's Coronado Springs Resort has lost some of its luster for you since the recent addition of Gran Destino Tower. While I personally loved all the changes that were made, I can certainly understand where you're coming from as well. This location may no longer be the perfect fit for your family, but I do hope you'll consider giving one of our other properties a try during a future visit.

------------------------------------------------

This to me didn't feel like a great response but maybe once again I was just being overly sensitive.
I actually don't mind them recommending a different property. That is a reasonable thing to do. If you aren't happy with Coronado Springs, there are TONS of other great properties. That's all they are saying. If, in their mind, they tried to accommodate you and you weren't satisfied then what else can they do?

All in all, it stinks that you had such a bad experience there. From what I understand, these experiences are the exception and not the rule.

I wrote a review once about a hotel in Greece where they demanded I pay in cash even though they took CC’s I found the entire thing both unprofessional and fishy. Wanted to warn others to have cash on hand when staying there. They decided to argue with me on Trip Advisor. I rarely use that site anymore though, too many fake reviews.

I have never had an experience like this at WDW. Every time I spoke with a CS they were polite and acting like they cared. This time when speaking to the front desk they sounded annoyed and had more of a "oh well" attitude.
I do think over the past year or so that customer service has declined. Three years ago, I wrote an email to GS to let them know how incredibly uncomfortable I found a pull-out couch bed for a one-night stay in a DVC room and they gave me a free night at any DVC of my choice to make up for it. The last trip I went on, a transportation castmember yelled at my child in a wheelchair and made them cry, when I complained they were like "Oh, we're sorry that happened." Something definitely seems off with GS these days. I'm really sorry about your stay, that would be aggravating and disappointing.

I actually don't mind them recommending a different property. That is a reasonable thing to do. If you aren't happy with Coronado Springs, there are TONS of other great properties. That's all they are saying. If, in their mind, they tried to accommodate you and you weren't satisfied then what else can they do?
I'm sure that was the intention, but the overall email implies that the resort did nothing wrong and this is what the OP should do differently next time, which includes staying elsewhere if they don't like how they're operating. That's the tone of it. Even if the resort truly feels this way, a typical response to appease the customer would read more apologetic and acknowledgment that perhaps they did miss the mark in some spaces - the hotel doesn't have to admit fault or offer some form of compensation because sometimes its just about making sure the guests' concerns are heard and making the guest feel as if they are being taken seriously.

I do think over the past year or so that customer service has declined. Three years ago, I wrote an email to GS to let them know how incredibly uncomfortable I found a pull-out couch bed for a one-night stay in a DVC room and they gave me a free night at any DVC of my choice to make up for it. The last trip I went on, a transportation castmember yelled at my child in a wheelchair and made them cry, when I complained they were like "Oh, we're sorry that happened." Something definitely seems off with GS these days. I'm really sorry about your stay, that would be aggravating and disappointing.

Ya some people have gotten defensive of them. But I know there have been many people lately that feel that there has been a decline in CS lately. WDW has a weird effect on people though... lol

Just out of curiosity - who are the people from Disney answering Trip Advisor reviews? Are they a new social media division or something?

I'm sure that was the intention, but the overall email implies that the resort did nothing wrong and this is what the OP should do differently next time, which includes staying elsewhere if they don't like how they're operating. That's the tone of it. Even if the resort truly feels this way, a typical response to appease the customer would read more apologetic and acknowledgment that perhaps they did miss the mark in some spaces - the hotel doesn't have to admit fault or offer some form of compensation because sometimes its just about making sure the guests' concerns are heard and making the guest feel as if they are being taken seriously.
I agree. The tone of the hotel's response was definitely more defensive than it should have been. They would have been better off just apologizing rather than trying to justify anything the OP experienced. I was just commenting on the particular part of the email that said the OP may want to try a different resort next time. Especially since the OP made the point of stating how much that comment shocked them. I thought that part of the email was actually OK.

I can't say from this that GS has declined. In my opinion you received WAY more compensation than was due for an uncomfy pullout. I mean, should everyone who stays in these rooms gets $300+ value?

As far as them yelling at your child, I think we'd need more details because in my 25 years of 10+ park days per year I can't recall a cast member ever yelling at a child for something unwarranted to theirs, or other's safety.

I think the travel industry as a whole has gotten wise to the people who complain in the hope of compensation. Not saying the OP is in that category... because I don't. But hotels now a days would rather you stay somewhere else if they can't meet your expectations. It's the line I've used many times...."it's not you, it's me".

I can't say from this that GS has declined. In my opinion you received WAY more compensation than was due for an uncomfy pullout. I mean, should everyone who stays in these rooms gets $300+ value?

As far as them yelling at your child, I think we'd need more details because in my 25 years of 10+ park days per year I can't recall a cast member ever yelling at a child for something unwarranted to theirs, or other's safety.

I think the travel industry as a whole has gotten wise to the people who complain in the hope of compensation. Not saying the OP is in that category... because I don't. But hotels now a days would rather you stay somewhere else if they can't meet your expectations. It's the line I've used many times...."it's not you, it's me".
I'm just comparing my experiences. My point was that I was given compensation in the past without asking for it for something I merely wanted to make them aware of. I didn't write them with the intention of getting anything in return, but Disney went there anyway. These days, when I have a real issue that I want to be resolved, I don't feel satisfied that it is. That is the decline I'm talking about. I certainly don't expect free rooms to be given at the drop of a hat, but it certainly doesn't feel like these days Disney's CS is not as high quality as it once was. ETA: Disney has created this brand and reputation for themselves. If they're not living up to it, then that's on them.

As far as my child is concerned, we were getting in line for a bus at MK back to our resort and she went to get in the wheelchair line as we had literally done every other day of our trip. The cast member marched up to her and told her that she would have to wait "just like everyone else" in line to get on the bus. It was said in a loud and sufficiently unfriendly way as to make my child cry and felt akin to public shaming because it was in front of a large crowd of people. My 8-year-old child was incredibly embarrassed. The people around us in line commented they were shocked as well. It was out of line and uncalled for. Maybe the CM was just having a bad night, but it's certainly not what I expect from Disney or anyplace else and when I made a complaint, I didn't feel like it was handled appropriately.

Last edited:
...the overall email implies that the resort did nothing wrong...
Just to point out, this wasn't an email directly to the OP. This was a public post on a travel website. The vendor's response is more likely intended to counter negative reviews for others reading them, not necessarily to placate a disappointed customer who chose to make a negative public review rather than address their concerns directly through the vendor. It would be an inappropriate direct response if emailed from the resort to the OP; however it is intended for general public viewing.

Are they a new social media division or something?
It's identified as "Disney Social Reviews, Owner at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort." I take that to be a social media department, not necessarily anyone onsite at WDW or who has ever set foot at that resort. It isn't the resort manager responding to a direct complaint email.

As far as the problem with nobody being in the adjoining room. When we were there in the fall the room next to us had the drapes partially opened also. The room looked the same every day. Beds were torn apart and nobody was in there. A CM did mention to us that they had someone check out at the same time we checked in and they were leaving that room unoccupied and uncleaned for days so it could air out due to covid, for the housekeepers safety. We were there for 2 weeks and after 1 week someone cleaned it up and someone finally moved in. So I guess it is possible that is why they wouldn't release that room into inventory.

Sorry you had room related issues with your recent stay at CSR. The exterior lighting issues are to be expected with the reduced staffing levels at the current time.
Nopers. If Disney is renting out rooms at a resort then the expectation is that exterior lights function properly. If they can't keep up with that kind of thing then they should hire more people. Being too cheap to hire people is not an excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter