WWYD- Illegal Movies

wasnt sure if this was posted but are u sure its the animated movie of inside out? Theres also a movie also named inside out...

I would have come running with my lawn chair and bag of kettle corn being happy to save the $10 movie admission. I'd also think I have an awesome neighbor!

We have a home theater PC. Looks like I will never share with the DIS (or uptight neighbors) where most of the movies on it come from.

Wow I'd love a listing of what all of you do for a living. And then I'll go and steal whatever it is you make and see how you feel. I worked my behind off on Inside Out.

Again, theft is theft. A poster here was totally wrong in saying that the actors and others were paid for their work. Yes, they were. But what about the rest of us? Some of us can be laid off if a good movie doesn't do well at the box office. For each person that saw this movie, that's $x dollars out of the studio's pocket. Piracy is no laughing matter in my industry. More and more movies are being stolen such that we have task forces now. Where did you say you lived, OP?

Oh, and screeners? Yeah, not for public viewing unless you have written permission.

Are you a nurse? What if I refused to pay my hospital bill? Do you make sprockets, hey some just fell off a truck, here's a handful for free. Hey, why don't I just get a siphon and steal your gas straight from your car? You won't miss a gallon or two, will you?

Unbelievable.

In this case I would not go view the movie. I wouldn't report them either simply because I have to live next to them. Our neighborly relationship would be cooled though because I would not look upon them as moral people.

IP crimes are not victimless crimes. I create and sell teaching materials in a digital format. I have to spend at least one day a month sending cease and desist letters to teachers and other school workers who ignore my very clear copyright wording and the message that specifically says NOT to upload this to the internet but feel it's their right to do it anyway. They are giving away my work for free to the world, taking money out of our household budget. I am not a big giant company like Disney, I don't make millions a year, I barely make enough to fund a retirement account, college fund, and maybe a family vacation. I created this business due to a hearing loss that now prevents me from teaching any longer. When people steal intellectual property they are stealing from people like me. It is not a victimless crime!

Wow I'd love a listing of what all of you do for a living. And then I'll go and steal whatever it is you make and see how you feel. I worked my behind off on Inside Out.

Again, theft is theft. A poster here was totally wrong in saying that the actors and others were paid for their work. Yes, they were. But what about the rest of us? Some of us can be laid off if a good movie doesn't do well at the box office. For each person that saw this movie, that's $x dollars out of the studio's pocket. Piracy is no laughing matter in my industry. More and more movies are being stolen such that we have task forces now. Where did you say you lived, OP?

Oh, and screeners? Yeah, not for public viewing unless you have written permission.

Are you a nurse? What if I refused to pay my hospital bill? Do you make sprockets, hey some just fell off a truck, here's a handful for free. Hey, why don't I just get a siphon and steal your gas straight from your car? You won't miss a gallon or two, will you?

Unbelievable.
I get that and I'm sorry that it happens.

Maybe there could be another way to go about reporting people if it is that big of an issue. Calling the local police isn't really an option in my opinion for something like this.

I get that and I'm sorry that it happens.

Maybe there could be another way to go about reporting people if it is that big of an issue. Calling the local police isn't really an option in my opinion for something like this.
It's not a function of the local police.

This would be reported to the FBI, and there is a way to do that confidentially.

It is a clear violation of copyright law, both through reproduction (downloading) and distribution (showing it in their back yard for public "consumption").

Where the world of copyright enforcement gets a bit iffy is when you start talking about streaming, as there is no reproduction or distribution (unless you are hosting the stream, you download it, or you play the stream for others). But, if this rip was any good, odds are it was an HD torrent of a screener copy, not the "handycam" leaks that tend to happen on the streaming sites.

That said, I wouldn't report it any more than I would call the police when I see someone speeding, or if someone is jaywalking. I would make my feelings clear, but put in such as way as to enlighten them. A lot of people see this as a "harmless crime"...but, it really isn't.

And, it's a clear violation of CRIMINAL copyright law. And, I get why the industry has been struggling with this. And, due to the nature of the net, there really isn't much they can do to stop it, unfortunately. They can only limit exposure. That said, small scale prosecution of cases like this creates very bad press. Remember that middle aged mom that DoJ came down hard on a few years back who had downloaded 6 songs and yet was faced with hundreds of thousands in fines and jail time? The news went crazy with that story. So, there's a chance that it's not even investigated, even if reported.

I make the personal decision not to get involved with these sorts. I want the producers, artists, actors, etc. to get their due. That said, I've seen Inside Out 3 times in the theaters. Great movie!

Me, I wouldn't go to watch the movie, cause I can be a goody-two-shoes like that. But I wouldn't even think of reporting them either. If they asked why I never went I would just say we enjoy the movie theatre experience and were already planning to see that movie in the theatre, or something. I know I am supposed to be outraged that a movie that is making billions of dollars is making billions minus a couple hundred bucks because of a neighbourhood get together but I just can't do it. Besides, many of those people might have actually paid their $10 to see the movie in the theatre anyway so they might not even be losing that much. Anyway your neighbours sound like nice neighbours to have, leave them alone.

Unbelievable.

I understand why this is personal to you. Sorry if you're offended, however, .......

I would go to the neighbour's movie. You're assuming everyone who is going, is going just to save a few bucks at the theatre. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd be going more to be social, knowing I'll probably miss parts of it because of the social aspect. We generally don't go to the movies anyways. If I think the movie (what I see of it) is great, I'll buy it when it's released.

I would have come running with my lawn chair and bag of kettle corn being happy to save the $10 movie admission. I'd also think I have an awesome neighbor!

We have a home theater PC. Looks like I will never share with the DIS (or uptight neighbors) where most of the movies on it come from.

This made me laugh because my first thought when I read the original post was, "SO COOL! I would be in the front row with my box of goobers and some buttery popcorn! Then I read all the "call the cops!" posts and I hung my head in shame. Glad I wouldn't be the only one to enjoy it!

I would never call the police or any other authority for this. I also wouldn't tell my children what you did. They'll likely repeat this to those kids or other kids when asked why they don't come over and either those kids will get upset hearing that about their parents or other kids will view it as ridiculous you said that and ridicule your child. I wouldn't want to be responsible for making other kids feel bad about their parents or my kids getting teased. Obviously it is something your child is upset about so if he does say something and the kids retaliate he'll feel worse. Doesn't make the actions right if they happen, but kids can be mean. IMO it isn't a situation that requires you to go into a whole it is wrong to show movies publicly and this is why we don't go. Sometimes discretion is your friend and using it means you and your kids won't lose any. It falls into the category of burning cds for friends or speeding. They are both wrong though some will do it and others won't. Choosing to do it doesn't make you evil or a bad parent. Just means your moral compass spins a little wider. We all do things that may not be on the up and up (drinking under 21 anyone), but overall are pretty good people.

Unbelievable.

Clap. Clap. Clap.

It infuriates me when people say this is a "victimless" crime. Movies are NOT made to be freely distributed. Egads people. Where do you draw the line.

Personally, I would probably not "turn them in" (although I might consider it....although turning them in to me wouldn't be calling the cops, but rather notifying the distributor of the movie that this was occurring), I sure wouldn't go watch. If I want to see Inside Out, I will go the theater and pay the admission price (which I did yesterday BTW...$5 matinee....it was EXCELLENT!)

I paid $15 to see Inside Out in 3D and I'd like my money back, actually it was $30 because I bought dd's ticket too. I wish my neighbor was showing it.

I also admit to taping songs off the radio in the early 90's and playing them for my friends at parties.

Unbelievable.

I understand where you are coming from, and I would never want someone to take money out of my paycheck. But I still don't think calling the cops is the most appropriate way to handle the situation. Maybe explaining to the husband exactly the way you just put it, would put it into perspective for him, and he would probably apologize, and not show a bootleg movie again. If he continues after then sure, maybe take that route.

Getting him in trouble with law enforcement for wanting to bring together the neighborhood? Ridiculous.

Unbelievable.

There is a HUGE ENORMOUS difference between not stealing something yourself and ratting out a neighbor. If I learned my neighbor didn't pay her hospital bills, you want to know what I would do? Absolutely nothing. That's between my neighbor and the hospital. If my neighbor came home with some sprokets, I wouldn't think twice or care about where she got them. It's up to the sproket company to secure their inventory and properly insure it. If you stole gas from my car I'd be pissed and call the cops. Because now it's between me and you.

Piracy is a big deal. Which is why studios have task forces. And part of my admission ticket covers the cost of theft recovery and task forces. Nobody deputized me, and sure as shooting no one is paying me, to do the leg work for the studios.

I would not want to be a hypocrite in the eyes of my children. I on many occasions taught my children not to ******* Tattling is nothing more then a child telling a parent that another child is breaking a rule. Typically we would say don't tattle when the rule being broken isn't severe. To me these are very similar circumstances. This an adult telling the authorities that another adult is breaking a rule/law. In my eyes the law being broken isn't that severe.

Also, does everyone remember napster? How many of us took advantage of that in its hayday? (My hand is Raised)... So for me the saying "Those in Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stones" applies

I am all about picking my battles wisely.

I'd get the local fire department there first to hose everyone down until the disbursed (like a bad cat). All while yelling at them and calling them criminals! "Go home and think about what you've done, hoodlums!! Let this stand as a warning and if any of you do it again, I will have the FBI, CIA, NTSB and mall security here faster than you can say 'Mufasa'!"

Or maybe, OP, you can simply ASK your neighbor how they were able to get a copy of the movie before it's public release? Shall we not just jump to conclusions and automatically assume the worst?

Unbelievable.

It happens to me all the time. I work in public accounting and people (both clients and non clients) asking "a quick tax question". We sell "knowledge". When someone calls with a "quick tax question", who do we bill for that? Every industry has this. It's built into the pricing. Does that make it OK? No, it doesn't. Does it mean I am going to run around and get all up in arms because people are giving away free tax advice (or even wrong information)? Nope.

Piracy has caused entertainment companies to look at better distribution methods for their products. They'll never stop piracy but it's good to see them taking steps to try to minimize it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter