WWYD -- Noisy Nurses at the Next Table

If it bothered me to the point where I was actually feeling like I was going to vomit I'd ask to move.
Otherwise I'd just ignore their conversation and focus on my own so that I didn't hear them.

Rule we always taught our kids: The only people who should hear your conversation at a table is the other people AT YOUR TABLE.

Our nephew is a naturally loud talker. He tends to yell when he talks, so I have to repeat this often when we go out to eat.

OP, in your case, I would have made eye contact with one or more of them and give them a nauseous look of REALLY!!?? Then I would try really, really hard to stop listening and concentrate on watching DH eat since my appetite would likely be gone.

Actually, I lost my appetite just reading through the post (was eating a really yummy seafood salad from the deli, too), so yes, my meal would have been ruined.

For all those of you who think that because you went through nursing (or any other kind of similar) school that you get to gross everyone else in the world out with your disgusting-yet-fun-to-you stories, please understand that there is a REASON you are so special. You clearly can take that stuff, not all of us can. It's gross and disgusting. Kind of like my mother in law talking about her bodily functions at Christmas Dinner. We don't enjoy that, either, but she thinks it's hilarious.

Last edited:
When I saw the title of this thread I was thinking it was going to be about HIPAA violations by the nurses. If all that happened was some colorful conversation about leaky colostomy bags I don't see a problem. You can't control the conversations of others around you.

To the other issue of dirty scrubs, I am a nurse and I would not go out socializing in dirty scrubs. I don't consider scrubs that I have worn during my shift dirty unless I end up with blood or some other bodily fluid on them. I usually don't get dirty at work, lol.

Hearing about gross things doesn't really make me feel sick or anything so I wouldn't have cared. I have a 2 year old, I'm constantly dealing with another human's secretions. I'd just be glad I wasn't responsible for cleaning it up.

There doesn’t have to be remains on them. Scrubs are considered dirty when you step into the hospital. Who knows what is floating around there...

That being said, some find it impractical to change after their shift before doing other things. Some do, some don’t. I always go home and change before I go anywhere else. That’s my personal thing.

I’m sure you do now. Come back in 10, 20 or yea, 40 years like me & see if you always, every day absolutely go home first. Sometimes, you just decide that day that you need to stop & unwind after a bad shift with your coworkers. Sometimes, you’re so exhausted that you need to stop at the grocery store on the way, coz once you get in the house, you are too bone tired to leave again.

Yes, technically it’s true that scrubs are “dirty” because you were in the hospital. But just so everyone reading knows, if a nurse is doing anything that could soil their uniform, they use cover gowns & barriers to keep themselves clean. We don’t want to carry germs to the next patient. And no one wants to walk around all day in a soiled uniform. A hospital workers scrubs are not necessarily the dirtiest things out there.

Yes, technically it’s true that scrubs are “dirty” because you were in the hospital. But just so everyone reading knows, if a nurse is doing anything that could soil their uniform, they use cover gowns & barriers to keep themselves clean. We don’t want to carry germs to the next patient. And no one wants to walk around all day in a soiled uniform. A hospital workers scrubs are not necessarily the dirtiest things out there.
I'm curious, and maybe because it's because I've watched too much TV doctor's shows, but if a medical professional DOES get something on their scrubs/clothes, can they get a replacement set easily in a hospital setting? Or do they keep an extra set in a locker "just in case"?

Wow.... even this thread has to go political. Alllll righty then.....

I am sorry, but having a different viewpoint or opinion than myself is a human right and freedom of speech. No matter how much some folks wish that all of the sudden the others viewpoints should be censored. No matter how easily and unnecessarily offended and angry others can be. Nobody should have to censor their conversation with their friend/family just because a bystander might not approve. The very suggestion, as mentioned here, (even with the disclaimer of 'I really wouldn't do anything about it') makes me shake my head.

We have really come to the point where political correctness has taken over and run totally amok, so that one can not say ANYTHING that such one-sided and tender ears can not even bear to hear.
Wow.....

That is a completely and totally different thing than discussing something, like human excrement, while other people are eating, like was described in the original post.
That is totally and completely against any basic common respect.
That is just GROSS.

Just like some people are offended by talk of bodily functions and others are not, some are offended by politics and some are not. I personally find that BOTH topics have the potential to be incredibly gross but can’t discuss it in any more detail without getting points.

I also find your fervent defense of freedom of speech whilst demeaning something others have said to be curious.

I’m sure you do now. Come back in 10, 20 or yea, 40 years like me & see if you always, every day absolutely go home first. Sometimes, you just decide that day that you need to stop & unwind after a bad shift with your coworkers. Sometimes, you’re so exhausted that you need to stop at the grocery store on the way, coz once you get in the house, you are too bone tired to leave again.

Fair enough :)

I'm curious, and maybe because it's because I've watched too much TV doctor's shows, but if a medical professional DOES get something on their scrubs/clothes, can they get a replacement set easily in a hospital setting? Or do they keep an extra set in a locker "just in case"?

Where I work, they keep extra generic OR scrubs in case of contamination for us to wear.

Some of my coworkers keep extra stuff in their lockers. But that is more because we work in different areas with different uniform requirements. So they have a set in their locker in case they have to unexpectedly switch to the other area.

My facility has scrubs for certain areas, like the operating room. If someone on one of the floors has an unexpected incident & needs a clean uniform, the supervisor can get one for them. But that is really rare. Despite what tv shows, there is not blood & gore spewing all over the place every day. On a regular floor, you know before you walk in a room if you need to wear protective equipment. And that is put on before you walk into the room. We want to protect our other patients & ourselves. We don’t want to risk exposure to all kinds of diseases any more than the public does.

It should of been common sense and courtesy of the nurses not too talk like that. People will say it’s what they see at work.

So if correctional officers go out to eat. Should they talk about the guy who ate the poop sandwich at a restaurant. No it should be common sense and courtesy not to talk about it on a restaurant.

If poiice officers go out to eat should they talk about auto accident and how much blood and other facts. No it should be common sense and courtesy not to talk about it in a restaurant.

If firefighters go out to eat in a restaurant should they talk about how badly the person got burned. No it should be common sense and courtesy not to talk about it.

If janitors from a school go out to eat should they talk about the vomit they had to clean up in a restaurant. Etc etc.

Why do people do this in a public space where other people are forced to listen to your conversation? On our last flight, the lady in the row behind us talked politics.
Personally, I think it’s to be provocative, unlike the nurses who were just discussing their day.

Some of my coworkers keep extra stuff in their lockers. But that is more because we work in different areas with different uniform requirements. So they have a set in their locker in case they have to unexpectedly switch to the other area.

My facility has scrubs for certain areas, like the operating room. If someone on one of the floors has an unexpected incident & needs a clean uniform, the supervisor can get one for them. But that is really rare. Despite what tv shows, there is not blood & gore spewing all over the place every day. On a regular floor, you know before you walk in a room if you need to wear protective equipment. And that is put on before you walk into the room. We want to protect our other patients & ourselves. We don’t want to risk exposure to all kinds of diseases any more than the public does.
Based on that (which supports what I was thinking earlier), concern over "dirty" scrubs in a restaurant seems a strange concern to me. Thank you for the answer.

Why do people do this in a public space where other people are forced to listen to your conversation? On our last flight, the lady in the row behind us talked politics.
Simple, they don't realize they are talking loud enough for others (not participating in the conversation) to hear.

It should of been common sense and courtesy of the nurses not too talk like that. People will say it’s what they see at work.

So if correctional officers go out to eat. Should they talk about the guy who ate the poop sandwich at a restaurant. No it should be common sense and courtesy not to talk about it on a restaurant.

If poiice officers go out to eat should they talk about auto accident and how much blood and other facts. No it should be common sense and courtesy not to talk about it in a restaurant.

If firefighters go out to eat in a restaurant should they talk about how badly the person got burned. No it should be common sense and courtesy not to talk about it.

If janitors from a school go out to eat should they talk about the vomit they had to clean up in a restaurant. Etc etc.
Agreed. But, I wouldn’t say anything to them & technically they have the right to discuss whatever they want. It’s just impolite.

No but neither were you. We only have OP saying they were loud. It doesn’t mean they were LOUD to others.
The point that MsJPrinces made wasn't that she was there. It is that the OP was and you were not. So indeed you really have no evidence. Only innuendo.

There are also two sides to everything... not worth arguing over we can disagree.
That there may be another side does not make pulling potential other sides out of my rump and arguing as if they are true valid.

I can't handle any kind of gross talk while I'm eating. Its weird because I can handle it in every day life and it doesn't turn my stomach nearly as fast but if I am eating anything and someone starts talking about something gross I can't eat any more because I will vomit. Actually, even moving seats would mostly be futile at that point. Once my stomach is messed up then it takes a while to settle down.
Maybe because I am so sensitive to it myself I would never talk about gross subjects at the table and if something I said was gross to others then I wouldn't mind them mentioning it to me and I would immediately stop talking about it and apologize.
But I probably wouldn't have said anything to the medical personnel myself. I'd have just asked to be moved and hope I feel better soon enough to finish my meal. I don't like scenes and asking anyone to modify their behavior in today's society is asking for a scene depending on their personality. So I probably wouldn't take the chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter