Yahoo report on Avatar ride

Maybe they're just not allowed to say it, but I was hoping for more of a Forbidden Journey comparison than a Soarin' comparison. If you're just in vehicles that go up in to the air and watch a movie, I'm not sure how it's 'different' than anything that's been done before. I think it will still be a fun ride, but if it's just a 3D Soarin' with really cool theming, I'll be a bit disappointed. Still hopeful for the boat ride and wondering if we'll get to see the Aireal tech there or elsewhere in Avatarland.

While they compared some of it to Soarin, it sounds like it will be much more than that:

"The vessels that guests will ride upon will essentially be the banshees themselves, with bodies that move to mimic a breathing beast. The flying sequences will be brought to life through large video screens — similar to “Soarin'” — with vehicles moving with the 3D action inside a massive theater."

While they compared some of it to Soarin, it sounds like it will be much more than that:

"The vessels that guests will ride upon will essentially be the banshees themselves, with bodies that move to mimic a breathing beast. The flying sequences will be brought to life through large video screens — similar to “Soarin'” — with vehicles moving with the 3D action inside a massive theater."

Hopefully, but to me this reads like it's just like Soarin' except when you look up you'll see a banshee head instead of other people's feet. Like I said, still excited to ride it, and I don't think Avatar will be as huge a flop as many on this board are predicting, but this tempered my excitement a bit. We'll see. :goodvibes

Sounds interesting to me, but I'm sure that many will bash it and many others will love it long before anyone has any real clue as to what the finished product will be. I'm just happy that they are adding a new area to AK !!! :)

Hopefully, but to me this reads like it's just like Soarin' except when you look up you'll see a banshee head instead of other people's feet. Like I said, still excited to ride it, and I don't think Avatar will be as huge a flop as many on this board are predicting, but this tempered my excitement a bit. We'll see. :goodvibes
It's been rumored to be similar to Soarin since the begin in especially because the blueprints for the attraction show 4 show rooms or theaters.

This of course is no real information and provides very little to go by. However, I expect when it is all said and done this is going to be an extremely immersive experience. It will not be as intense as the attraction over at Universal because that is typically not Disney's style but I expect it will do a great job of taking you to pandora.

They compare the ride to Soarin probably because of the theater like environment, but I think the main difference will be in the vehicles' movement. Whereas Soarin is more static and the feel of flying is driven mainly by the images, I think this ride will have more of a simulator type of movement

They compare the ride to Soarin probably because of the theater like environment, but I think the main difference will be in the vehicles' movement. Whereas Soarin is more static and the feel of flying is driven mainly by the images, I think this ride will have more of a simulator type of movement

Does this sound promising to you?

Honest question

Does this sound promising to you?

Honest question

as you know i m very pro avatar and i think im more excited about the boat ride and how the land actually looks...im sure it will be very well themed and fun but nothing more than that...but i could be wrong

as you know i m very pro avatar and i think im more excited about the boat ride and how the land actually looks...im sure it will be very well themed and fun but nothing more than that...but i could be wrong

I just worry that since a simulator/screen ride lacks any kind if real innovation or ability to tickle the senses... That they would have to be banking on the avatar characters and story to be too much of a draw.

That's trouble.

This particular ride - if true - sounds alot like back to the future at universal...cutting edge 25 years ago.

The more I read...the more I think Cameron is tinkering/financing this...a "showcase" for his grand world is not what animal kingdom needs.

It really does need a greater range and variety of attractions for all ages in larger quantities. Like studios...there just isn't enough stuff and it needs major redesign.

I'm still fearful that this will be a stop gap... Chester and Hester on steroids

I just worry that since a simulator/screen ride lacks any kind if real innovation or ability to tickle the senses... That they would have to be banking on the avatar characters and story to be too much of a draw. That's trouble. This particular ride - if true - sounds alot like back to the future at universal...cutting edge 25 years ago. The more I read...the more I think Cameron is tinkering/financing this...a "showcase" for his grand world is not what animal kingdom needs. It really does need a greater range and variety of attractions for all ages in larger quantities. Like studios...there just isn't enough stuff and it needs major redesign. I'm still fearful that this will be a stop gap... Chester and Hester on steroids
I don't think this will be incredibly new technology or anything I'm more excited for the atmosphere of this land with the mountains and bioluminescence

The more I read...the more I think Cameron is tinkering/financing this...a "showcase" for his grand world is not what animal kingdom needs.

This was my initial train of thought as well.... until I sat back and thought to myself "What, in the past decade, has Disney brought to us without any outside help / inspiration?". If New Fantasyland is as good as it gets on their own (one Omnimover and a kiddie-coaster + a well themed restaurant) I suppose it's worth the proverbial "role of the dice" to see what Cameron can come up with....

Maybe they're just not allowed to say it, but I was hoping for more of a Forbidden Journey comparison than a Soarin' comparison.

Well, here's the thing - do expect Disney would come out and say "It's going to be Like Forbidden Journey"?

They are of course going to compare it to their own rides...so being a motion simulator with a large screen - the natural comparison is Soarin'.

I do think it will be a lot more like the Spiderman/Forbidden Journey rides in that it will use the projection combined with 3-D combined with a motion vehicle.

Remember this is Disney - they tend not to want to make the rides too thrilling so the whole family can enjoy them.

I am wondering if this ends up being a mix of Soarin and the Innovations roller coaster event "sum of all ..." combined. I am drawing a blank on the name for some reason(age most likely :D ) but a combining of the 3D screening and freedom of motion would make an excellent ride in AK

Sounds more like Star Tours than Soarin' to me.

This was my initial train of thought as well.... until I sat back and thought to myself "What, in the past decade, has Disney brought to us without any outside help / inspiration?". If New Fantasyland is as good as it gets on their own (one Omnimover and a kiddie-coaster + a well themed restaurant) I suppose it's worth the proverbial "role of the dice" to see what Cameron can come up with....
Some people have speculated that NFL was not meant to contain an "E" ride. Disney may not have wanted to increase crowds at MK, but rather spread them out more efficiently.

With the other 3 parks, it should be a completely different story.

Some people have speculated that NFL was not meant to contain an "E" ride. Disney may not have wanted to increase crowds at MK, but rather spread them out more efficiently.

With the other 3 parks, it should be a completely different story.

Would agree with this, and also remember that Animal Kingdom is huge and one of the most under-utilised parks. It would make a lot of sense to try and divert loads of people here, and that will need some big head liners and draws to keep people coming back

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter