• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yahoo report on Avatar ride

Does this sound promising to you?

Honest question

I'm not a big fan of simulators. I think the ride could be nice, but overall, my opinion on simulators and screens is not exactly positive. It's one of the things I criticize the most at Universal.

"Describing how he (Iger) had to scale scaffolding in order to try out the ride for the first time"

SO BRAVE

Some people have speculated that NFL was not meant to contain an "E" ride. Disney may not have wanted to increase crowds at MK, but rather spread them out more efficiently.

With the other 3 parks, it should be a completely different story.

Surely, the $495M NFL expansion was meant to increase crowds. That's part of what is so baffling, that MK was chosen for investment prior to any of the other three parks. FP+/MyMagic was the investment that was intended to help "spread the crowd", not NFL. I suppose I agree with the logic that they might not have wanted to increase MK crowds to "staggering" levels, more so than they already are.

Regardless, my point was simply to illustrate "What has Disney Imagineering done in the past decade that has truly wowed anyone?". The answer is, unfortunately, "not much". NFL was half a billion dollars and 5 years in the making, and the most innovative thing to come out of that project was a kiddie coaster with rocking cars. I say let's give Cameron a shot, because there's a good chance that he's better than the existing players that are already sitting on the bench.

We shouldnt have to wait 5 years for a Simpsons clone. When something takes that long peoples expectations raise and they expect something new and unique.

I wish the banshee ride on was something more like Sheikra or Griffon at Busch Gardens. You could build something like that heavily themed, maybe with a partial dark ride element, for 50-100 million pretty easily.

Sounds disappointing so far.

Disney love re-theming their already tried and tested technology so I'm guessing this will be heavily based on Star Tours.

Shame really as I think most people were hoping for imagineers to come up with something completely new considering how long this has already been in development.

Currently avatar land is resembling more of a NFL expansion rather than the big re-launch that AK really needs. Still not sure this is enough to make it a full day park.

We shouldnt have to wait 5 years for a Simpsons clone. When something takes that long peoples expectations raise and they expect something new and unique.

I think this is going to be much more then a Simpson's clone, and also we are getting more then just the simulator ride, we are also getting the boat ride, and entire themed land, that if done properly should be pretty spectacular.

Does anyone happen to have a link to the photo of the blueprints? :)

http://thedisneyblog.com/2012/10/26/avatar-plans-for-disneys-animal-kingdom-leaked/

New Fantasyland was not meant to be spectacular though. Whereas Magic Kingdom needed more land to spread out the crowds, Animal Kingdom needs rides to actually boost its attendance and get rid of the 'half day park' stigma. Same goes for DHS.

I think it's fair to say that Imagineers are still able to deliver in regards of creativity. Carsland is the perfect expample of the company actually making an effort to get something right.

Carsland or even DisneySea are no guarantee that Avatarland is going to be Disney at its best, but I don't think New Fantasyland and Avatarland should be compared as they both have different purposes.

New Fantasyland was not meant to be spectacular though. Whereas Magic Kingdom needed more land to spread out the crowds, Animal Kingdom needs rides to actually boost its attendance and get rid of the 'half day park' stigma. Same goes for DHS.

I think it's fair to say that Imagineers are still able to deliver in regards of creativity. Carsland is the perfect expample of the company actually making an effort to get something right.

Carsland or even DisneySea are no guarantee that Avatarland is going to be Disney at its best, but I don't think New Fantasyland and Avatarland should be compared as they both have different purposes.

While I do agree with your post on its points/merits...

Remember that where it is has strongly influenced the level of "innovation" that the accountants allow.

Disneysea cost Disney basically nothing...sky's the limit.
And the socals rebelled the only way you can against California adventure...they stayed away. Red alert scenario

Fantasyland was an elaborate ruse to pack people in...and that's pretty much how it plays. But the lems bought it...there'll be a 3 hour wait in 10 days for the modern zippy coaster know as the "mine train".

That's more of a worry to me than avatar's lukewarm appeal and the low attendance at animal kingdom...
The fact that they've learned they really don't have to do...well...anything.
At least on the mean streets of Orange County...
Or...I mean...Osceola.
Yeah...that.

But why are you so sure of that?

I mean really...did they "deliver" with fantasyland?

Where did I say i was sure? :)

Sadly I am not sure, the land has a lot of potential, and I think Cameron's involvement will definitely help since he will fight any attempt to skimp on the execuation, but in the end it could turn out to be a little lackluster. With that said, my original point still stands, we are getting more then a Simpsons clone.

But Carsland is only a success because its visually good. The rides are just clones! AK is already visually great, so Avatar land needs to be more than just that.

Avatar was popular because it pushed limits of technology AND was visually good. If they're just going to use old technology then it will disappoint quite a few people. It also needs to stand out visually against an already great looking park.

But Carsland is only a success because its visually good. The rides are just clones! AK is already visually great, so Avatar land needs to be more than just that. Avatar was popular because it pushed limits of technology AND was visually good. If they're just going to use old technology then it will disappoint quite a few people. It also needs to stand out visually against an already great looking park.
while radiator springs racers is the same ride system as test track it's definitely not a clone it's better. Maters isn't a clone? Luigis is leaving for a new ride so we will have to see about that.

while radiator springs racers is the same ride system as test track it's definitely not a clone it's better. Maters isn't a clone? Luigis is leaving for a new ride so we will have to see about that.

Maters is kind of a clone of the Cars ride at DLRP (same system, different vehicles).

Maters is kind of a clone of the Cars ride at DLRP (same system, different vehicles).

Maters tractor ride is a clone of old carnival rides. Not that I see that as a big negative, but the whip and the system used for teacups is not new.

New Fantasyland was not meant to be spectacular though. Whereas Magic Kingdom needed more land to spread out the crowds, Animal Kingdom needs rides to actually boost its attendance and get rid of the 'half day park' stigma.

I just don't buy into this notion of a half-billion dollar investment "not intending to be spectacular". Only to be a fly on the wall for the shareholder call in which the groundwork was being laid for this enchanted, luke-warm land featuring a mediocre Omnimover ride, a below-average, 55 second long roller coaster and a restaurant with average food and great theming... I'm sure the board was clamoring with excitement as this was being pitched.... :duck:

Perhaps what you are intending to say is that it was not critical for New Fantasyland to be a success. MK was successful long before NFL, and its success as a park moving forward was never dependent on the outcome. If this is what you meant, I would agree with you, but that doesn't discount the fact that NFL fell short of everyone's expectations.

Fantasyland was an elaborate ruse to pack people in...and that's pretty much how it plays. But the lems bought it...there'll be a 3 hour wait in 10 days for the modern zippy coaster know as the "mine train".

That's more of a worry to me than avatar's lukewarm appeal and the low attendance at animal kingdom...
The fact that they've learned they really don't have to do...well...anything.
At least on the mean streets of Orange County...
Or...I mean...Osceola.
Yeah...that.

Couldn't agree more, sir. I've been baffled by this for some time. I think it would make for a good dissertation topic for anyone graduating Harvard Business School.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter