Yahoo report on Avatar ride

I can't wait for Avatar land to be open, it will make AK a park I will actually go to again. The ride sounds great so far, my husband and I are big fans of the movie and the concept is one that will appeal to people like us, as long as the screens do the effects justice.

Star tours and I don't get along very well, it makes me feel very hot and anxious for some reason. This sounds kind of like star tours to some extent

I just don't buy into this notion of a half-billion dollar investment "not intending to be spectacular". Only to be a fly on the wall for the shareholder call in which the groundwork was being laid for this enchanted, luke-warm land featuring a mediocre Omnimover ride, a below-average, 55 second long roller coaster and a restaurant with average food and great theming... I'm sure the board was clamoring with excitement as this was being pitched.... :duck:

Perhaps what you are intending to say is that it was not critical for New Fantasyland to be a success. MK was successful long before NFL, and its success as a park moving forward was never dependent on the outcome. If this is what you meant, I would agree with you, but that doesn't discount the fact that NFL fell short of everyone's expectations.

Yeah, it wasn't critical for New Fantasyland to be a success, that's for sure. What I meant is that they probably didn't put actual effort in making a spectacular land. Originally they didn't even plan a mine train. The original plans had a bunch of princess meetings and not much more. The lack of interest in developing something better is to me a clear intent to divert crowds more effectively and get the additional money and attention of advertising a brand new land. It just happened to be more expensive than originally intended.

My point here is, unlike Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and DHS NEED these new areas. The thing is, would Hollywood Studios survive another 10 years with a restaurant, a gift shop and a lousy attraction?

Wishful thinking? Perhaps. I just think Imagineers and the company as a whole is still capable of designing pretty cool stuff. It just happens that WDW has received the least over the last 10 years.

Yeah, it wasn't critical for New Fantasyland to be a success, that's for sure. What I meant is that they probably didn't put actual effort in making a spectacular land. Originally they didn't even plan a mine train. The original plans had a bunch of princess meetings and not much more.

Gotcha :thumbsup2

The lack of interest in developing something better is to me a clear intent to divert crowds more effectively and get the additional money and attention of advertising a brand new land. It just happened to be more expensive than originally intended.

The "lack of interest in developing something better" is what concerns me the most, and makes me skeptical about seeing anything done differently in the other parks. Management's current vision includes spending "X" on actual development, and "Y" on marketing/advertising of said development years in advance of its opening. I wish they would spend "X" plus "Y" on the actual development. In my opinion, the long-term payoff would be far greater than the current formula. In other words, don't expect the 2-hour wait for the Seven Second Mine Train to last much beyond 2015. Demand will soon wear off, as folks begin to learn there is little substance behind it. The pixie dust and fancy marketing only goes so far, and will begin to lose its effectiveness as soon as people discover these things for themselves. I, for one, will never ride the Seven Second Mine Train again unless I can virtually walk on.

My point here is, unlike Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and DHS NEED these new areas. The thing is, would Hollywood Studios survive another 10 years with a restaurant, a gift shop and a lousy attraction?

No argument here, my friend. Again, my fear is that the "current formula" has proven successful in making short-term (2-5 year) gains. For many management folks in the Corporate world, that's all they ever care about, because they won't be around long enough to experience the results of that short-sighted mindset. Strong short-term gains + minimal capital expenditures has made Wallstreet very happy, and many executives very rich. We'd all like to think that "Walt's Vision" is still very much alive within the company, but the sad reality is, I don't think it extends very much beyond the lower and mid-level management folks.

Wishful thinking? Perhaps. I just think Imagineers and the company as a whole is still capable of designing pretty cool stuff. It just happens that WDW has received the least over the last 10 years.

Again, I totally agree that they are capable. I just don't think they're going to be given the "green light" (aka budget). I think the only way that we will see the green light is if Universal continues to pump out true innovation, followed by more years of considerable market share gains. My hope is that we actually do see this again in 2015, as it will put more and more pressure on Disney to deliver something worth our while (be it in Avatarland or Star-Wars, etc.).

Couldn't agree more, sir. I've been baffled by this for some time. I think it would make for a good dissertation topic for anyone graduating Harvard Business School.

"How to rob fools over and over again: the ark of Disney park operations"

And I'm not saying I'm above...I have to admit I wandered over to the DVC website to look and see rooms available at one point today...

But I did resist.

"How to rob fools over and over again: the ark of Disney park operations"

And I'm not saying I'm above...I have to admit I wandered over to the DVC website to look and see rooms available at one point today...

But I did resist.

And I'm no better. I spent ten days in October, and already have a week in June 2015 on the books as well.

Despite my dismay for their current direction, and as much as it appears like they're trying to kill the golden goose, it is still very much alive, and I will continue to enjoy it for however many years it has left. I don't know exactly where my breaking point is, but if the current philosophy continues (significant annual increases, nothing substantially new to show for them, declining food and merchandising offerings, etc.), I will be priced out of this place within 7-10 years with little desire to return thereafter. My brain tells me otherwise, but deep down, I'm hoping for the next 5-10 years to deliver something really exciting. If we're lucky enough to get anything of the sort, my money is on that being in MGM as opposed to Animal Kingdom.

And I'm no better. I spent ten days in October, and already have a week in June 2015 on the books as well.

Despite my dismay for their current direction, and as much as it appears like they're trying to kill the golden goose, it is still very much alive, and I will continue to enjoy it for however many years it has left. I don't know exactly where my breaking point is, but if the current philosophy continues (significant annual increases, nothing substantially new to show for them, declining food and merchandising offerings, etc.), I will be priced out of this place within 7-10 years with little desire to return thereafter. My brain tells me otherwise, but deep down, I'm hoping for the next 5-10 years to deliver something really exciting. If we're lucky enough to get anything of the sort, my money is on that being in MGM as opposed to Animal Kingdom.

you guys probably wont like to hear this, but I don't think Disney has any intentions of changing its path.

I think the current plan is that it is ok for the current repeat visitors to lose interest because there is still a good supply of new people from emerging markets (southern American countries) visiting WDW and Asian countries for DLR for the first time and becoming new repeat visitors. They dont know what the place was like 5 to 10 years ago so still think where its at now is great. Just keep offering all these new people more of the same and they'll keep coming back.

you guys probably wont like to hear this, but I don't think Disney has any intentions of changing its path.

I think the current plan is that it is ok for the current repeat visitors to lose interest because there is still a good supply of new people from emerging markets (southern American countries) visiting WDW and Asian countries for DLR for the first time and becoming new repeat visitors. They dont know what the place was like 5 to 10 years ago so still think where its at now is great. Just keep offering all these new people more of the same and they'll keep coming back.

You're forgetting the X factor....

A good old fashioned smashed economy kills that model.

DOA...
And one if these days...the bubble will cause
Permanent damage...not this cute "five year downturn" garbage.

If that happens...Disney will be left holding the bag if they do planned erosion/bleed

If you follow any of mine or LockedOut's posts, you'll quickly realize that we fully understand this. We're usually the ones taking mortar fire from those wearing the "Disney can do no wrongeth" glasses with our glass half-empty viewpoint. We call it like we see it, but that still doesn't stop us from patronizing the place year in and year out (and enjoying ourselves in the process).

I totally agree with this, and also feel it is a large contributing factor to Disney's overall success despite the ongoing "cheapening" of their product. There are many other factors that fit into this equation, too, but I feel this to be one of the larger ones.

I totally agree with this, and also feel it is a large contributing factor to Disney's overall success despite the ongoing "cheapening" of their product. There are many other factors that fit into this equation, but I too, feel this to be one of the larger ones.

Yep...

It reminds me of when the coyote straps an acme rocket to his back and puts on roller skates:...

The plan works well until the rocket flames out

Same here. Our family still has a great time in the Disney Parks so we'll keep going at least once a year. We don't stay at the Disney Resorts anymore, we've found the value for us is just not there anymore. So we stay offsite and we eat offsite a lot more. We also think of our trips as Orlando trips now, because we also go to Universal. So it's all still good for us right now. :goodvibes

Same here. Our family still has a great time in the Disney Parks so we'll keep going at least once a year. We don't stay at the Disney Resorts anymore, we've found the value for us is just not there anymore. So we stay offsite and we eat offsite a lot more. We also think of our trips as Orlando trips now, because we also go to Universal. So it's all still good for us right now. :goodvibes

what we are doing now is staying in our DVC but also spending time at Universal 1/2 days or so

i do think this will be an incredible experience on the level of cars land which by the way had no new innovative ride system so im at least going to give the simulator a chance before i bash and im hoping the boat ride is really good
if they pull off half of the concept art this will be a great place to be at night

If the crowds on Saturday at Hollywood Studios were anything to go by, their plan is working to perfection. Took me 30 minutes from the time we went through the parking attendant station to get in the park. Thanks to a ridiculous mistake to get on the parking tram, a long line at bag check (complete with an employee closing half the baggage checks while yelling at guests "sorry, Disney doesn't pay overtime"), and slow traffic.

Back on topic, my issue is that in comparison to Universal's two big new rides, this just doesn't seem innovative at all. I haven't gotten to ride Gringots yet, but I know Forbidden Journey is unlike anything I have ridden before. I don't get that feeling from this. And as a frequent visitor, Hollywood Studios is officially the worst of the major theme parks in Central Florida. Three rides I am interested in...three. Nothing for young kids. Its sad. I guess Epcot is similar, but at least it has all the alcohol around World Showcase to help you forget.

Back on topic, my issue is that in comparison to Universal's two big new rides, this just doesn't seem innovative at all. I haven't gotten to ride Gringots yet, but I know Forbidden Journey is unlike anything I have ridden before. I don't get that feeling from this. And as a frequent visitor, Hollywood Studios is officially the worst of the major theme parks in Central Florida. Three rides I am interested in...three. Nothing for young kids. Its sad. I guess Epcot is similar, but at least it has all the alcohol around World Showcase to help you forget.

And I think there IS recognition of this...from Disney, the press, the competition, and an Increasing number of customers...

But people just can't stop spending...just like at target and walmart...it's just blown up on a grander scale at wdw. They're all riding the wave at this point.

just because you "have the money"...or most likely willing to pay it monthly for 21 years...doesn't mean you should pay hyperinflation for what amounts to the same stuff each year.

Now...they are back logged...
So they redo downtown...and then they open there avatar thing...

And then what?
It had better be a self replenishing queue...because they are back logged.

No more status quo for 10
Year crap.

And it won't be just me...many others will follow. And don't count on the robust Brazilian economy to last...all there developing market clientele are clinging to financial bubbles as well. When it bursts... They won't be able to print money and recover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter