Yeast Shortages?

undertheradar

DIS Veteran
Seriously, how much yeast can the average household need? There is none to be had and it appears that people have wiped the shelves buying it. With the little amounts used per recipe, more than a 1 pound bag per year is excessive. We keep ours in the freezer in an airtight container, opened the bag April 2019. Wild that it is impossible to get and Amazon allows the price gouging currently taking place.

I read: According to Nielsen, yeast sales were up by 647 percent at the end of March, compared to the same week last year. “No other grocery product tracked by Nielsen experienced such rapid sales growth in that seven-day period,” Business Insider reported.

I have one open jar and two unopened jars. I use yeast regularly for making bagels. I found two jars at Walmart recently. Had checked online and they said they had them in store. Went to Walmart and surprisingly they did.

Yes, had no idea people had bought it all up, since I don't do that kind of baking, so hadn't looked for any before the craziness. However, DS who is now home from college due to this, and had taken up baking bread this year, and brought home his Dutch oven, but not yeast, so I have also been looking for it for weeks at every store(as well as on eBay and/or Amazon for high prices or long waits) as he was going to bake some for us for Easter. Don't give up - friend who had also been looking for me texted from her ShopRite today and offered to pick up some packets for me that had appeared ! The one I was in did not have any yeast, but had a FULL AISLE of PAPER PRODUCTS!! :eek: I felt like I was in the opposite Twilight Zone! I was able to get a pack of Bounty and Charmin, they had all kinds, even napkins - also plenty of meat, so there is hope! It brought my anxiety level way down compared to the last few weeks at the stores!

It's not that people are buying tons and tons, but that everyone is buying some all at once. Plus, lots of yeast is sold in larger containers than necessary. My stepmom recently bought a pound of yeast because that was the size of the container of yeast available. Luckily, she let us all know, and I was able to refill my jar of expired yeast from her supply.

I was lucky I had picked mine up right before all of this happened. I haven't seen any in the 2 times I've gone to the store.
We make our own rolls, french bread and I just learned how to make my own hamburger buns and all of those recipes use yeast.
I hope when I get low again which will be in about a month that it will be back in the stores.

I bought lots if yeast and flour back in early February as I watched all of this unfold. I have been baking mainly using my sourdough starter - from sourdough breads, pretzels, scallion pancakes, cinnamon crumb cakes, pancakes, muffins, etc - All from one yeast starter.

I wish I could send some of my unused yeast out, or at least trade it for a fast pass - my current supply of Fleischmans instant and regular Yeast is not getting used because I am solely baking with my wild sourdough yeast startet at the moment

We’ve been using way more yeast than normal, doing a lot of baking. I ran out and it was one of the only things I haven’t seen restocked anywhere. So, I finally ordered some online from a place called emporium spice in tx. It arrived pretty quickly too!

King Arthur Flour has been restocking their online store. My flour and yeast arrived last week. In our area, flour and yeast have been slowly appearing back on store shelves -- still can be hit or miss -- over the last two weeks. And local bakeries are selling flour and yeast and sourdough starter to customers. Our local cheese store is selling flour in 5 and 25 lb. bags. Supplies are out there -- it just takes more looking.

My friend just called me from her shopping trip to Harris Teeter. They have bread flour (which I asked her to buy for me). No yeast. No all purpose.

(This is a copy of my post from my flour thread, but workshere too)

I ordered a 25 pound bag of rye flour online and bought teff flour locally. I'm hoping to become the sourdough queen. Sourdough rye, injera...

I couldn’t find yeast at the store. Amazon had 6 packets for $30 or a pound for $37. I got made and bought the pound. I then found 8 packets in the back of my pantry 😡. I gave the packets to my friend and am making cinnamon rolls this week. It was nice putting chairs far away in the driveway and talking when she came to get them.

It's impossible to find around here. Fortunately with enough time you can get around that.
https://www.boredpanda.com/yeast-sh...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Wow Thank You!

So do you think a few raisins from raisin bran would work? Craisins? I will experiment

OK- so I did some reading and it looks like once you start you need to keep "feeding it" and throwing some out to keep ratios going so maybe this is a thing I only do a day before I want to make pizza and bread. I don't have any to afford to throw out.

Can I request that maybe someone with experience could post a full cycle of yeast from start to pizza or start to loaf of bread without any waste somewhere on here. It seems everything on Google is directed at people in the time of plenty & that is not me, not here & not today.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter