Yes or no for D23

D23 yes or no

• Yes, I am very interested in this

• No, this is not for me

Results are only viewable after voting.
$75 dollars for access to an overpriced merch. catalog? I was hoping for soooo much more...sorry Disney, not this time.

Trying to squeeze more cash out of "true" Disney fans in this economic crunch is just wrong.

A quick look around my house would tell anyone that I don't mind investing good money in quality Disney memorabilia. It's my hobby, it's my passion.

But.

Being asked to pay $75 for the privilege to continue do so ? Especially given the amount of money my partner and I have spent over the years at the parks and hotels and on collectables...(I shudder to add it all up)

This is nothing short of a smack in the face. In the best of economic times it would be a bad idea.

A resounding NO from me. :sad2:

I voted no, because of the $75 price tag. I'll probably buy the first issuse, and if it blows me away, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Yesterday I would have said no, but today I voted yes.

I read this about D23 and had a change of heart.....

=======================================================

"It all started a couple years ago in a warehouse in Glendale, if you can believe that! I was with the Disney Archives team, exploring their collection and what seemed like acres of boxes. Shelf after shelf overflowing with the crown jewels of Disney history – treasures rarely or never before seen and too numerous to describe here," says Steven. "My eyes and jaw hurt from being so wide open for so long, so we took a break, and there was a collective moment where we all sort of said, 'We've gotta share this stuff with people!' And that got us talking about what would eventually become D23."

Steven is quick to point out that D23 is both about celebrating Disney's storied history and the Company's future. He reveals: "I think the centerpiece of a D23 Membership is our new quarterly publication, 'Disney twenty-three.' It's an exquisite collectible in its own right, and each story plunges you into a new ocean of nostalgia from Walt Disney's early years in animation. But there's also a look forward -- from a rare tour of Pixar Studios to an exclusive first look at Tim Burton's new live-action 'Alice in Wonderland.'"

"We know Disney fans are interested in more than buying a ticket to the latest Disney film or even being at the opening day of a new Park attraction – they want to know what makes the place tick! We know this because we have the same passion and curiosity, and I think they're going to be very pleasantly surprised."
========================================================

I would LOVE to see those archives! And I'm that kind of fan that wants to know what makes the place tick. I read all kinds of Disney history books. Books about Walt, the parks, the making of the movies, all that kind of stuff. Ollie Johnston is one of my heros and I dream of doing the Adventures by Disney Anaheim tour. I'd just kill to see the those archives he is talking about and I know joining D23 isn't going to make that happen, but I don't know, when I read the above, I thought...well he has my attention and maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. So I'm going to give it a chance. We'll see if they make it worth it. I really hope so.

I agree. I'll probably try it for a year & see what happens. If I don't like it, I won't renew.

I voted no at this time. I just dont get what the benefits are, maybe in the future I will change my mind if it ends up being worth it.

Nope, not for me. I looked at the magazine the other night, and it seemed like 95% of it I can find on the internet. There was an article about the Cinderella Suite (like I haven't laready read EVERY possible article about it), and an interview with Tim Burton about Nightmare before Christmas and Alice in Wonderland. A few other articles in it seemed ok, but this just didn't seem like the inagural magazine that it should be to justify the $75 price tag. There are no coupons in it, no secret announcements at all, that I noticed. Maybe if it came with a discount for park passes and coupons for restaurants in the parks, I might consider it. But given the current economy, and the fact that I'm saving for our next trip, I can't justify it right now.

I voted yes, but I really wanted to say "yes, but with reservations."

I did join, somewhat reluctantly. I, along with others here, rationalized it to say it's only $11 over the price of the magazine I would have purchased at a bookstore anyway. So I was willing, although disappointed, to spend $11 to see what's coming.

I agree, Disney completely missed that mark here on what their true fans want/need.
And it was outright offensive for them to put that $849 pen on the front page on Day 1!! (I noticed it was replaced by a $160 journal the next day- SOOOO much better :sad2: )

And I STILL have not received that promised email announcing the big surprise.

So, while I am so opposed to everything about how this was rolled out, I still bit. They won- they got my money, I feel foolish. But I was too curious to NOT join.
I guess I AM their target audience!!! :lmao:

Wow. I guess I'm "not" 23.

Listening to another not-to-be-named Disney podcast, I was dumbfounded to hear them raving about how wonderful, creative, comprehensive and unprecedented D23 is and how Disney sure did its homework and pored over fan sites and hit a home run!

Sorry? $75 for a "membership" in the midst of the worst recession in the US in decades? The main feature of which is a print magazine that only comes out four times a year and that will be available at Barnes and Noble?! That has no coupons, discounts, etc. And at a time when other magazines are actually shutting down and going to online versions? Oh, and the opportunity to buy special D23 "stuff".

Well, maybe some fans will find it worthwhile, but it feels to me like Disney thinks that people will just throw money at them for any old thing they throw together and call "official". They're not getting my $75 for this lame effort. Heck, with another $7 bucks I can get myself one night in a Value resort at WDW in value season.

What a missed opportunity for Disney to actually do something worthwhile and exciting (gasp!) for the people who keep the place in business. BOO! :crazy2:

Wow. I guess I'm "not" 23.

Listening to another not-to-be-named Disney podcast, I was dumbfounded to hear them raving about how wonderful, creative, comprehensive and unprecedented D23 is and how Disney sure did its homework and pored over fan sites and hit a home run!

Sorry? $75 for a "membership" in the midst of the worst recession in the US in decades? The main feature of which is a print magazine that only comes out four times a year and that will be available at Barnes and Noble?! That has no coupons, discounts, etc. And at a time when other magazines are actually shutting down and going to online versions? Oh, and the opportunity to buy special D23 "stuff".

Well, maybe some fans will find it worthwhile, but it feels to me like Disney thinks that people will just throw money at them for any old thing they throw together and call "official". They're not getting my $75 for this lame effort. Heck, with another $7 bucks I can get myself one night in a Value resort at WDW in value season.

What a missed opportunity for Disney to actually do something worthwhile and exciting (gasp!) for the people who keep the place in business. BOO! :crazy2:

I think that I heard that same podcast, um what are they thinking. I respect everyone who wants to join and I can even understand there reasons, but this other podcast was just a little over the top, not to bash any other podcast's point of view but...:eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter