Yet another TiW scenario

CaLuCa

Mouseketeer
We are local. My 4 kids (one disney adult and 3 kids) and I will have APs. DH will just get the military ticket when he joins us. We plan to go a lot (couple times a month for a day trip). I like to have a sit down meal, but the price for all of us to eat is eye popping. Some days it will be just me and one kiddo, most all 5 of us. They want to do some character meals and more expensive ones like the castle. I am not a drinker...prefer the calories in dessert form. DH would probably have a drink, more so if it was discounted, but don't play that into the decision.

In your opinion, is it "worth" it to get a TiW or just do the AP discount?

(I had one a couple years ago, before we were local, and I felt the $100 was a good deal, especially when I ended up having a couple of large groups join me. But now, I'm debating.)

Math wise, a $150 TIW that saves 20% vs an existing 10% AP discount means you would need to spend $1500 to break even.
If there is no AP discount then the break even approaches $750.

Personally, I used to get the TIW, but with DVC and AP discounts (and also not being a big drinker) the TIW doesn’t seem to make sense for us.

is it "worth" it to get a TiW or just do the AP discount?
It really depends on how often you will use it. From the sounds of it if you go 2 times a month with TS meals each time that would be about 24 meals a year. For a family of 5 - figure your typical TS meal might run $175-200 (maybe more)- so an average savings of $35-40 savings per meal. So to make up for the cost of TIW you would "break even" with about 4 meals ( not considering the AP discount). If you are local and do plan on going multiple times per month then i would buy it this year - keep all your receipts and see how you make out. It does seem like it would benefit you.

I believe that you can get 13 months out of the TiW if you purchase at the beginning of the month the card is usually good until the end of the month in which you purchase.

The other question is whether or not you want to have that many expensive meals each month -- we have gotten TiW because we had a couple trips and daily TS reservations during a 7 day trip-- so the savings added up, but we splurge when on vacation. But at home we might go out for a quick inexpensive meal or out to a restaurant 1-2 times per month. So consider that in your plan. You might go to the parks and just plan on a QS meal. The costs add up quickly and may not be in the monthly budget to spend $400-500/month on TS meals.

Its not a good asnswer, but you really have to do the math.
It depends how often you will be going and where you will be eating as to whether it will save you money.
As mentioned, if you already have an AP, you already have a 10% discount.
In general, you must spend $750 to break even with TIW, if you have an AP discount, then that number jumps to about $1500 (due to only an additional 10% savings with TIW, not the 20%). However, TIW does give you 20% off alcohol at meals and in the lounges. It also automatically adds an 18% tip to the bill.

I think the thing that tempts me so much to do it is that there are either 5 or 6 of us. That's easily $250-300 for a character meal. Granted every time we go, we are not doing that. But if we went somewhere for each person's birthday, it would add up. That said, we also eat off property too. The last couple of times, we found it took us about the same amount of time to wait for an ADR, eat, and pay as it did to leave the park, drive to Chuy's, Sweet Tomatoes (my kids love the mac and cheese, I have to be encouraged), or even Chick fila (we live about 30 minutes from one, so it's a treat), eat and then drive back. Plus, we can switch parks.

We are not big QS people, mainly due to how much of a hassle it was to set every one up with drinks...I was constantly getting up and down, looking for napkins, flatware, drinks, etc. However, now they are older and can do more themselves so we might try QS.

Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to not get one, but keep track and see how it would change.

As others have said it really depends on where you are going to eat. Keep in mind, TIW is accepted in some places that the AP isn't so that might help. I use this website to sort of pre-plan to see what discount is taken where. http://mouseperks.com. They also have an app that I put on my phone just before a trip so I can check it on the fly since we rarely make our ADRs in advance other than day of. Even having the app. I always ask if there is any kind of discount, I even offer my first born son (which never works). The AP and TIW discounts seem to always be moving targets.

I think the thing that tempts me so much to do it is that there are either 5 or 6 of us. That's easily $250-300 for a character meal.
Then using the numvers given by several people in this thread, six (or even five) character meals would br8ing you to the break-even point.

But if we went somewhere for each person's birthday, it would add up.

Will you do that? If so, do the math. Compare it with any ap discount you might get to the same character meals with TIW.

TIW covers (most?) QS at resorts and at AK park. So if you venture into QS (we always have water with us so never need to do the soda machine thing...saves money and stress!), keep that in mind.

You have to be encouraged to hit sweet tomatoes? Oh I love that place. :)

I also love Yard House for their gardein (fake meat) menu items, but it’s not cheap.

Used to get TIW every time for the past 5 years. This coming trip I plan to have us just use our AP. We may order 1 drink each at dinner. Not worth it for us anymore to get TIW with AP discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter