Yikes !!!

Rachie B

DIS Veteran
Just having a look to see how much 1 night for a family of 4 would be in the Disneyland Hotel .........

£436 not inc tickets :scared1: ( 1 night in August)

OMG ,how do you guys afford / justify spending that much ? lol is it worth it ?!!

Rather than have a few nights there, you may aswell save it towards a WDW trip lol

I knew it would be expensive but .......... <<faints>>

I would love to stay there too but cant justify spending that. Our hotel is costing us just over £500 for 6 nights!!!

We must be psychic, I did exactly the same thing last night, one night in July was £400 (2 adults)!!!! Even the New York Hotel was almost half as much.

Where are you staying Brobson?

The only time we spend in the hotel is to shower and sleep so we couldn't justify paying that but I'm sure others would make more use of the hotel and may want the close proximity to the park. We would still want to go to the Red Garter Saloon in the evening to see The Thrifts so it makes no sense for us to stay anywhere but the Cheyenne!

I booked with a bus company from Sweden. I'll be staying
at a hotel outside the area. Hotels in Disneyland are too expensive
even for bus companies outside of the country! We'll be staying at
Kyriad Hotel. You don't get the same service as the Disneyland Hotel.
However, you do save some money for other expenses.

I'm not a major Disney fan, so it isn't neccesary to have Disney every-
where for me. I do, however, love the movies. so that's a giood reason
to go to Disney Studios Park, where the movies come to life.

I think one would have to be a MAJOR Disney fan to even consider being
in an expensive hotel, to begin with. The service there would have to be
top notch!

Even though I'd LOVE to experience that on my 40th birthday, I could never
afford it!

Thank goodness the bus company has a good sense of budgeting for a well
priced deal for Disneyland Paris!

When I was planning my 40th birthday trip I had predecided we'd push the boat out and stay there, when it came to it I couldn't justify the cost, in the end we had a choice between 5 nights/6 days at the Newport Bay Club, Admiral's Floor with about £200 left over for additional spending money or 3 nights/4 days at the DLH.
For me there was no contest - additional park time wins every time and we had a superb holiday - definately made the right choice.
I'd like to stay at the DLH one day but I suppose I will always be faced with the same conundrum and we spend very little time in the hotel, the last 2 trips have been booked at hotels with pools, we've yet to have time for a swim :confused3

I wouldn't let the cost of the DLH put you off a trip in favour of WDW, but I'd definately consider a cheaper hotel option. :)
Personally I prefer not having to use the shuttle buses and love the location of the New York, Sequoia Lodge and Newport Bay- all situated around Disney Lake and with a very pleasant, easy walk to the parks via Disney Village.:goodvibes

Being a true Disney fan has nothing to do with staying in expensive hotels. As a true Disney fan, I'd rather stay in a cheaper hotel but twice as many days :rotfl:

I also wonder how some people can afford it, but everyone can spend just as much with 100 EUR, it's just up to everyone HOW they spend it. I like to go on many vacations and while they are not cheap budget backpack)vacations, they aren't luxurious vacations either (just comfortable :) ) However, some people don't mind they can only go on vacation for some days but do it in a deluxe style. To each their own, and that way, all the hotels can do business.

BTW, to me, the Disney-magic in the hotels just means you ahve a Disney-boutique in the lobby where you can spend even more money ;)

We must be psychic, I did exactly the same thing last night, one night in July was £400 (2 adults)!!!! Even the New York Hotel was almost half as much.

Where are you staying Brobson?

We stay at the Explorers and have our Dream Passes so we can use EMHs

If you book a package via Disney it is not that expensive! So for June or September you can get 2 nights and 3 days for 470€ for each adult. Tickets and breakfast included. And as this year kids stay free you don't have to pay for them. And Disney has many 3=2 and 4=3 offers. So if you can go during such a period you can get 3 nights and 4 days at the Disneyland Hotel for 940€ (640£) for 2 adults and 2 kids including tickets and breakfast!
This is still expensive but not “out of this world expensive”!

By the way we had that “I need my hotel just to sleep in” discussion very often here on the board and I still think that a better hotel can add so much to your Disney experience.
We have been 3 times in the DLH and every time I think back of these 3 visits I get a smile on my face! It was worth every penny. :cloud9: And believe me Steve if you would stay in the DLH (or in the other 3 closer Disney hotels) you would return more often to your room every day to relax, refresh or just to enjoy the great hotel/view! (Especially if you have kids! You can’t stay a whole day at the parks with a Child!) And believe me there is a difference between DLH/HNY/NPBC/SL and Cheyenne/SF! Don’t get me wrong Cheyenne and SF are great hotels too but they can’t be compared to the other Disney hotels! :)

But I also would say: Stay longer and therefore book a cheaper hotel!:woohoo:

We stayed in the SL for our honeymoon, the the bridal suite at that, and we still only showered and slept in the room! When we are at DLRP we spend every waking minute in the parks, village or Red Garter Saloon - in 8 visits we have never spent even one minute in our room that wasn't sleeping or showering! We much prefer the Cheyenne to the SL and have visited all the others and drank in the bars (eaten in some restaurants too) - there is nothing in the NB, DL or NY hotel that has us even thinking about staying at them - Cheyenne all the way for us. The walk is about 5 minutes more to the parks so that makes no difference.

When we have kids things may change but while we are just the two of us we will continue to spend as little time in our hotel as possible.

I'm no fan of hotel rooms, where ever they are - I like to be out and about. Work have me staying in some ridiculously expensive hotels and I still only sleep and shower in them!

We stay at the Explorers and have our Dream Passes so we can use EMHs

We have Dream Passes too, stayed in the Kyriad last time but fancy trying the Explorers next time, or Holiday Inn.

Unless the discount on Disney Hotels makes it worth booking one of those of course.... :lmao:

if you would stay in the DLH (or in the other 3 closer Disney hotels) you would return more often to your room every day to relax, refresh or just to enjoy the great hotel/view! (Especially if you have kids! You can’t stay a whole day at the parks with a Child!) And believe me there is a difference between DLH/HNY/NPBC/SL and Cheyenne/SF! Don’t get me wrong Cheyenne and SF are great hotels too but they can’t be compared to the other Disney hotels! :)

But I also would say: Stay longer and therefore book a cheaper hotel!:woohoo:

There is no way in this world I could afford DLH with 3 kids - even with a 5yr old who would be free at the moment.

Yes you can stay all day in the park with a child, or even 3 in my case, because that is what we have done on each of the 3 occasions we have been. We get in the park early and pace ourselves. Under no circumstances do we leave the park - I can't afford the time.

I have stayed at the Santa Fe and that was more than adequate for my needs of sleeping and showering, I have stayed at the NPB which was a nicer setting but even so I used it to sleep and shower we did not even use the pool - this was in the days of only needing 1 room because we had a cot.

My needs are different now in that if I stayed at a Disney hotel I would need 2 rooms (even though I would only use 1) and I cannot justify the expense. Last time we went we stayed offsite and saved a fortune!

I am still considering going to DLP this summer and am looking at Santa Fe purely and simply because of EMH - I think there is no point me going if all Disney guests have 2 hrs on me - we'd never get on anything in the height of summer, fastpasses or not.

By the way you can't go in June or September if you have kids - not unless you take them out of school!!:cheer2:

I have booked off site and plan to get the dream passports so I get EMH. Disney seems to be an unusal company in that they consider a family of 5 a family instead of a chance to charge extra, so 5 Dream passports cost the same as 4 :woohoo:.

With a family of 5 its very difficult to get a Disney room without doubling costs, so off site and dream passports are the best way to go for me.

Duff

We have stayed in the DH in the past - 2 nights were 850 for the 4 of us (1/2 June 2006)
BUT we stayed at Davy Crocketts this year April 12 - 17th - 5 nights -for 1100 which was MUCH better value for money in my opinion - we could take things easy, do half days in the parks - the pool/pony rides etc for the afternoons - then back to the parks later. Also, that was for a 2 bedroom cabin, so the kids were seperate from us in the evening and at night.

If you are travelling by car Davy Crocketts is great value (and great fun too). We travelled by car to DH and I felt uncomfortable with the valet parking - here you park outside the cabin.

Tessa

If you book a package via Disney it is not that expensive! So for June or September you can get 2 nights and 3 days for 470€ for each adult.
I'm not sure how the rates in June or September will help the OP travelling in August. Package rates for July are about what the OP stated as well, over $800 per night after deducting the price of tickets. This is customer abuse, plain and simple.

A bientot.

thanks for all your replies

glad im not the only stingy one here lol

We would only ever want 1 night stay TBH

In July,this will be our 2nd day trip to DLRP ,and we stay in a mobile home site an hour away :)

was just pricing up to see how much it would be to stay over ,and do the park for a 2nd day when we go next yr.

my son is starting secondary school in sept,so we will be tied to school holidays which is why i priced up a random date in August :)

we will have the car,so could do any hotel really but of course it would be fab to stay at the DH,my kids would think it was all their bdays and xmasses come at once lol

what would you guys recommend as a reasonably priced hotel,for families for 1 night ? :)

We've only ever stayed in the Santa Fe. If you've ever stayed at a Travel Lodge then you can easily imagine what the rooms are like at the Santa Fe. But there is a bar and cantina and shop and character interaction so it is MORE than a Travel Lodge in some respects.
We leave our rooms early each morning to go to have GMFL breakfast in the Park and we return about 2 hours after the Park closes, after shopping or eating in the Village, so we have no need for anything more glam than the Santa Fe. If you're happy with basic rooms, I would recommend it.

You can’t stay a whole day at the parks with a Child!

Sorry but - Yes you can. :yay: :yay: We spent approx 14 hrs in the parks each day on our 3 days at Easter with DD (7). We stopped for rests and watched the world go by. Much more interesting than watching hotel walls.

We have stayed twice at Santa Fe- the cheapest Dis hotel. When we were booking for Easter we considered SL but when we priced it up we decided we would rather spend the extra money on character breakfast and nice meals.

:cheer2: :cheer2: pixiedust: pixiedust:

We are planning 2 days this July (as part of a 2 week holiday in France) and as it is a special wedding anniversary trip (with DD of course) we have looked at the more expensive hotels but just feel we cannot justify the high price when that money could be spent on decent food and the extras to make the trip special.
We also use the hotel simply to sleep and shower.

So it will probably be Santa Fe again or an off site hotel and we will get our Disney Magic in the parks.

pixiedust: pixiedust:

thanks both :) will look into the Santa Fe

I def do Travel lodges,we are fans of the £15 rooms ;)

like some have said its mainly a place to shower and sleep !! so doesnt need to be too fancy :)

The Cheyenne is only very slightly more expensive than the Santa Fe and has fantastic Western theming which we love - great for kids, big ones too! We stayed in the Santa Fe once as well and if not for our massive love of the Cheyenne we'd happily stay there again. There are lots of 'things' to find on the grounds of the Santa Fe, like a UFO! The bar is nice too and the Red Garter Saloon is just across the Rio Grande River where The Thrifts play 5 times a week.

photo3.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter