• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yippeeeee! iphone coming to verizon next month!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been with AT&T since it was Cingular Wireless. I have never had any issues with service here in NJ. I know that other people do, but not once have I had problems. I love my iPhone and the service is great. :thumbsup2

I will be staying with AT&T for a number of reasons, and many others will be for some of the same reasons:

A) As much as everyone talks about the network coverage area, many of us do not have problems with it. Especially where I live and go to school, I always have good coverage since AT&T used university buildings for their 3G antennas ;) While traveling for PCC 2.0, there were some places that their should be coverage, for instance you should never lose coverage on interstate IMO, but all networks do that.
B) As others have said already, Verizon's network would have faced the exact same speed and overload issues if the iPhone came to their network instead of AT&Ts. Besides, it was Verizon's fault that they wouldn't work with Apple that they didn't get it in the first place.
C) Contracts, especially for the iPhone 4, and especially for family plans, make it really hard to switch.
D) I have a really great salesperson. I bought my first iPhone from him, and was really pleased so I went back for my wife's iPhone as well. I couldn't get my iPhone 4 from him as I got it opening day by waiting in line at Wal-Mart, but I will make sure he is available before my brother buys his in a few months. The reason I like him so much is that he not only put us on an unpublished plan (less minutes than they say you can get, and we still have about 400 rollover minutes each month!) and he also associated us with the univeristy, so I get 15% off most parts of the plan, and more importantly, I go straight to Business Customer Care when I have to call for something. That alone would have gotten my loyalty!

So while a lot of people will get the iPhone on Verizon, I think it will mostly be people new to iPhones or that have a 3G switching.

Also, Mike, I wouldn't be so sure the June iPhone (5...who knows what it will be called) will support LTE. Case in point: the original iPhone didn't support 3G. I think we will have to wait till 2012 to get LTE on an iPhone, and for most people that won't matter because of how slow all the networks roll out their new networks. I always laugh when 4G commercials come on because so few people are on 4G so far or will be this year even.

When we last looked to upgrade DW's phone, we went into the Verizon store (a real one, not a pseudo-Verizon dealer store). All we wanted was the new phone, and we were up for one under the "New every 2" promo which we had used for both of our phones several times.

I almost canceled our contract right there, and again when I talked to a rep on the phone the next day. You don't try to technobabble *ME*...

First, they told me that to get the enV3 (which DW had her eyes on), we'd have to completely change our plan - it could no longer be grandfathered in our current plan (where data was billed as minutes and not MB), and we'd have to pay more than $20/mo for the base plan with more minutes we didn't need, get a data plan as well for something like $15, or pay per MB, with no way to tell how much we've been using - because the phone had an "HTML browser". Umm...my existing enV has that already. They just say it is an HTML browser rather than just "Mobile Web". But he insisted it needed a data plan because it was HTML. AND apparently the New Every 2 didn't apply for some reason - we could only get it at something like $30 off retail price or something like that, because our plan no longer qualified for NE2 (without notice to us). I wasn't paying $100+ for the phone and $35 more a month just for a new phone.

The rep on the phone said they did have an unadvertised plan level that was the same as we had, except the data was still separate - they no longer billed as minutes. I asked, "So what are we using now monthly?" so I could know what to expect - and she couldn't tell me, because we were billed by the minute. I said we could easily use MBs going to just a single web site, so $2/MB was ridiculous, and the $15 only got us something like 25MB. She said we wouldn't use as much with a phone, because "it uses smaller packets". Ummm...I work in IT. Smaller packets doesn't save you anything, in fact it takes more bits to send the same info...

I ended up getting my sister's enV and activating that. Still have the same old plan. I've got a Droid through work so I'm not paying for any of that currently. But I see all these new plans, data, etc. and I know DW is itching for something...and I dread going in to the store again to try and sort it all out and see what we can get for what price...as I know they'll try and say something stupid to me...

I did, one time, go into a store for some electronic something-or-other, and when a person came to help me I actually said, "Look, I already know about these things, possibly more than you do...just answer the questions I ask..."

First of all your "pseudo-Verizon dealer store" is probably the reson you have so many problems. Verizon does not care, you are another number to them... for every 1 customer they lose to ATT we gain 20!!!

Secondly, We "Retailer's" or "In-Direct" as I like to call us are actually better, we are independantly owned therefore we can offer better pricing (Cheaper) and since we are less busy we can offer you much better customer service then what you get from direct (as you experienced)
*I would also like to point out IDEPENDENTLY OWNED...some arent great but The one that I'm associated with My family owns (actually quite a few), we can do everything that the direct stores do including all your problems you experienced above...:sad2:
*Also, as stated it is Family owned which means you are supporting a local business which is huge, we have a family to feed, a mortgage to pay, and a DISNEY VACA to go on!! :banana: Verizon has enough money....support local business!!!

So I will help you out. Some of the above it correct some not. 1 Month ago that was true. Any "Multimedia" phone required a new Nationwide plan as well as a $9.99 25mb data pkg. RIGHT NOW that is gone. Only phones require pkgs are smartphones. Verizon No longer carries the EnV3 or EnV Touch but I would suggest your daughter look at the Octane, pretty much same thing just a bit smaller. You sure can use your NE2 credit, plus Rebates. Pretty much the octane would be free and you would not have to do anything...as of right now, no data required.

Now, something to consider. Add up all your lines currently plus data pkgs
Example: (Old plan 500 min + Unlimited Vzw to Vzw text plan)
1st Line- $50 + $10 txt pks
2nd Line-$20 + $10 txt pkg
3rd Line-$20 + $10 txt pkg
=$120 (With your company-If they provide a vzw company phone you would be eligible for a discount on your personal phone also...Average credit 10%--You only get this credit on the old plans off the main lines billing amount--So...$5)Total Bill-$115

New Plan: (Talk and Text plan-Unlimited Text/700 Min)
1st Line: $90
2nd Line:$10
3rd Line:$10
=$110 (You get a discount off the full plan with the new plans so 10%=$11)
Total=$99
New plans can be CHEAPER and you get more, sometimes you have to shop around and get your information from someone who knows what their talking about

Not saying I do all the time but personally when someone walks in my store and says "I know more then you just answer my questions" I think:: why do you have questions if you know everything??

Lesson: Don't count Local Business out, Big Corporations have enough Money!$!:wizard:

Lots to ponder for the next 18 months under my current Verizon contract. I got tired of waiting for the iPhone coming to Verizon to come to fruition so I got an HTC Incredible. At least I can wait and see how the first Verizon iPhones work out.

I'm certainly no expert, but I do have AT&T and an iPhone 3G. I recall two places that we can't get good service - at my SILs homes (one in VA and one in FL) Neither near bigger cities. Verizon works great there of course!
Anyway, I thought I heard that if you get an iPhone with Verizon, it is that different technology. SO if you are an AT&T customer, you would be needing to buy a new phone. That might make some people less inclined.
I think I will hold off on that, even when my contract expires. I still haven't figured out all the cool things my phone can do!! Maybe if something tragic happened to my or DH's phone and it needed to be replaced, then we would upgrade and switch.

Also, Mike, I wouldn't be so sure the June iPhone (5...who knows what it will be called) will support LTE. Case in point: the original iPhone didn't support 3G. I think we will have to wait till 2012 to get LTE on an iPhone, and for most people that won't matter because of how slow all the networks roll out their new networks. I always laugh when 4G commercials come on because so few people are on 4G so far or will be this year even.

ATT is rolling 4G to their sites. The 4G Base radios and Antennas are in and turned on in my building.

But I was referring to the VZ v.2 version of the Iphone not the GSM version.

we have the 3GS models.....has anyone else had the issues of freezing?
the screen suddenly freezes - refuses to do anything....or goes to black and can't be used at all...
the only way out of the freeze is a 'hard off' (holding both buttons at the same time until something finally happens)..

of our 3 phones, two of them have this problem almost non-stop....

i looked it up on the internet and saw that it is an issue, though no one seems to talk about it.

i wonder if anyone has had any problems like that with the 4G version..

we have the 3GS models.....has anyone else had the issues of freezing?
the screen suddenly freezes - refuses to do anything....or goes to black and can't be used at all...
the only way out of the freeze is a 'hard off' (holding both buttons at the same time until something finally happens)..

of our 3 phones, two of them have this problem almost non-stop....

i looked it up on the internet and saw that it is an issue, though no one seems to talk about it.

i wonder if anyone has had any problems like that with the 4G version..
I have never had that problem with the 4, and my wife hasn't with the 3GS. Have you tried restoring it through iTunes? That is always the first step when something seems amiss.

No problems with our (two) iPhone 4's

I have been with verizon for years. I currently have e Droid X. Even though I love my Apple products (iPad, etc) I don't think I would care to give up my Android phone for an iPhone. I used to want one really bad but now that I have Android I probably wouldnt give it up. But on a another note, I wouldnt give up my iPad for an android tablet.

I just bought a Droid Pro, and I wouldn't trade it for an iphone, even though I am an Apple fan all the way. It has 2 things that iphone does not, or will ever have, a keyboard and tethering. I am extremely happy with the Droid Pro, and will probably get a new ipod touch instead of the iphone, and tether it to the Droid Pro.

I just bought a Droid Pro, and I wouldn't trade it for an iphone, even though I am an Apple fan all the way. It has 2 things that iphone does not, or will ever have, a keyboard and tethering. I am extremely happy with the Droid Pro, and will probably get a new ipod touch instead of the iphone, and tether it to the Droid Pro.

Thats what I do with my Droid X is use the wireless hotspot for my iPad. I am a huge Apple fan, but those Androids know what they are doing. LOL

:) DH and I both have Iphone 3GSs. We were just talking about this 10 minutes ago. He says he had read they expect to sale 2 million Iphones the month of February. We are hoping that the AT&T rates dip a bit. We will see. Anyway, DH is salivating to get his first Ipad...he has been waiting on the second generation.

I'm not up on all the Droids but don't you have to pay an extra $20 a month to tether on it?

I'm not up on all the Droids but don't you have to pay an extra $20 a month to tether on it?
I have tethering on my iPhone, but of course that is $20 extra. I end up using it a lot whenever I travel though.

Yes Verizon charges twenty a month for your phone to be a mobile hotspot for up to five devices. That is wireless though not an actual tether.

Yes Verizon charges twenty a month for your phone to be a mobile hotspot for up to five devices. That is wireless though not an actual tether.
Yeah, the iPhone only does through the cord or over bluetooth, and only for one connection at a time. But really on mobile broadband, I think one connection is pushing it as far as how slow it is.

Yeah, the iPhone only does through the cord or over bluetooth, and only for one connection at a time. But really on mobile broadband, I think one connection is pushing it as far as how slow it is.
I have run as many as 20 workstations over an Aircard including 3 to 5 VoIP phones. The 3G connection had 2mb down and 2mb up. That is roughly the same throughput as a T1 (minus the VPN overhead). The biggest difference is latency. If you have a device that handles Quality of Service properly, then you will hardly notice a difference in quality between a wired and wireless connection.

our iphones include tethering "for free" (it's not blocked as it is in the US)....

we've used it and it works well.

OK...I'm sooo confused over all of this talk about Droids and iPhones..LOL.

I've been thinking about getting the Samsung Fascinate. I really like how sleek and slim it is and that it doesn't feel like a "heavy machine" to me. I think some of the Droids just look to manly for me..IMO.

So if anyone has a Fascinate or knows someone who does..would care to tell me what you think of it??:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter