You must be swift as the coursing river (as long as it's the Lazy River) - comments welcome

Love the photos! I was also very annoyed about the TTC bathrooms being blocked off. I felt bad because my friend had to go but I told her she could use real bathrooms around mile 4, so she waited. 🙄 It was light by the time we hit those porta potties but the line was so long - probably because everyone else also expected to be able to hit the TTC! 😝

I also got one of those side angle castle shots but you can barely see it and it looks way cooler in yours since it’s lit up! I think that was on the bridge to Tomorrowland.

Princess Half Marathon, part 2

Okay, so I was slightly more than halfway through the race and hurting from running the 10K all-out. But if I'm not racing at Disney, I'm definitely stopping for characters, so the photos continued.

Raya.jpg
When I got to Raya it was starting to get light out

This is the bit where I was the slowest; I had been running low-to-mid 9:00 miles, but mile 9-11 were more like 10-10:30 😬 (That's moving pace, not including the character stops.) That's certainly not horribly slow, but it felt harder than I would have liked. My HR was pretty low though! 😅 There were some absolutely miserable cambers on a couple of ramps, and I was kind of wallowing in my ow-ness. There were a few character stops where the characters weren't out - I was especially sad about a setup from The Incredibles because I don't have any Incredibles character photos. But I kept going, and finally as we got closer to Epcot there were actually some characters out again!

Judy Hopps.jpg
I love Zootopia! I've never seen Judy Hops out either

Inside Out.jpg
Joy and Sadness, another good photo op

This motivated me to run somewhat faster again (plus I wanted to get to the end), and I picked up the pace a little for the last couple of miles.

Princess ball.jpg
I did stop for the photo with Spaceship Earth. I have no idea what I was doing with my arms; I was tired 😂

Princess HM running.jpg
I got a pretty good action shot from...maybe Epcot? I look happy! I am just happy to be almost done...

And finally the finish line approached! I have never been so happy to LEAVE Epcot (except maybe on Saturday). As I came up to the finish, Carissa announced my name again! Cool 😃

Finish line.jpg
Crossing the finish line

Yay for being done! I wouldn't say that the half was harder than Saturday, necessarily, but it was hard in a different, more grinding way. I had water at every stop and a gel every 5K (just not at 20K), so I wasn't in terrible shape when I was done except for all of the ows. Would still not recommend doing a workout followed by a long run 🤪

So we passed through the finish chute, and I was definitely anticipating Mylar, because as you all know, as soon as you stop running, the sweat starts to feel really chilly when it's cool out, and it was still only like 50...but all they had to offer were "tiny blankets"! 🤦‍♀️ How is a dry cooling towel supposed to help me, exactly? It's like the most useless offering ever. (Not that I said this, of course; it wasn't the volunteers' fault they didn't have Mylar. But that is what I was thinking.) However, other than being grumpy about the Mylar, I was happy to have my snacks and drinks so I could start on the journey of recovery 😅

I ended up at 13.29 miles - moving time 2:06:18, official time 2:24:14. So I officially ran my fastest 10K ever on Saturday and my slowest HM ever on Sunday 🤣 And I think the post-race festivities will have to be a separate post - stay tuned!

Princess Half Marathon, part 3: Finish festivities and post-race reflections

Yay I am done! I made my way to the Photopass booths to get my finisher shot.

Challenge finisher.jpg
Finisher photo with both medals and challenge frame

I really wished I had packed a jacket, but I was only a little cold - some people were shivering a lot 😦 Mylar, Disney. We needed Mylar. Anyway, the lines were not too long for the various hosts, so I got some photos with them too.

Tiana.jpg
Photo with Tiana and Naveen. Tiana said my Mardi Gras beads were good luck 😁

Ariel.jpg
Ariel and Eric since I never did get their photo from Saturday

Rapunzel.jpg
Rapunzel and Flynn - should have brought my 10K medal too I guess!

I hadn't packed a jacket, but I had packed compression socks and comfy shoes, so I changed into those and then picked up a beer to celebrate! I did some stretching (in the sun where it was warmer) while I sipped and people-watched.

challenge beer.jpg
Beer in a runDisney cup with challenge medal propped up against it

After that, I headed back and didn't do much the rest of the day - no parks for me! By the time I ate second (third?) breakfast and took the dog for his lunchtime walk, I was a complete zombie 🧟‍♀️ So I took a two-hour nap. And then I went to bed at 8:30 and slept for 9 hours 😅 I wasn't kidding when I said I wasn't good at sleep deprivation! I felt pretty much fine on Monday though.

Despite all my groaning about being very ow on Sunday, it was a fun weekend and I'm happy I went for it and got a shiny new PR. On the one hand, I feel like I was more excited about racing the 10K than I had been leading up to the half at MW. (Although I would have been a lot more disappointed if I had planned to race that one since it ended up being shortened.) On the other hand, racing the 10K made the half a LOT harder. Doable, obviously, but painful. Plus I had to get up super early two days in a row, which was hard.

So I don't know whether I would do a challenge again or not. Probably if you ask me in a few weeks when I've forgotten how much the half hurt, I'll be all for it 😂 I did like being able to race one day and take photos and everything the second day. It also turns out that Disney can be a great place to race. So I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing again. But I might go into it a little differently.

February 26 - March 3, 2024
Spring training week 8

In which we get back to reality

1709491252588.png
This week's schedule, as I originally planned it

Monday/Tuesday
off

Originally, as you can see, I just planned to take Monday off after Princess. However, given how much I hurt during the half and the fact that whatever muscle I strained in my groin was still bothering me, I decided to give myself a couple of extra days to recover.

Wednesday
upper body strength

Still no running, but I figured some upper body strength couldn't hurt. Those sphinx press-ups were hard.

Thursday
Easy: 4.18 miles (10:15), avg. HR 150, max 161, 100% Z1-2
core

It was nice to get back to running. The first half was a little drizzly but that wasn't a bad thing as it was pretty warm out. I did more of a Pilates-focused core routine, because hips and glutes are core too.

Friday
Easy/strides: 6.1 miles (9:53), avg. HR 154 bpm, max 176, 92% Z1-2
lower body strength/HIIT

Whew! It got hot all of a sudden. I probably should have slowed down a bit. But it was fine.

The strength routine had kind of an interesting structure. I made a couple of exercises harder, naturally 😅

Saturday
Easy/strides: 5.59 miles (10:25), avg. HR 153, max 171, 93% Z1-2
core

This run was kind of a slog; my legs were a little sore and it was gross out, especially since I was putzing around and didn't get out the door until 10.

No weights for me on the core workout (unlike Daniel), but it actually went surprisingly well considering my groin muscle is STILL not 100% better. (It does seem to be improving at least. Maybe.)

Sunday
Progression: 6 miles easy + 1 mile @ MP (8:15) + 1 mile steady (8:03) + 0.5 miles @ LTP (7:33) + 1 mile CD
Total: 1:30:29, avg. HR 161, max 189

yoga

Originally I envisioned this as a fast-finish run. However, as I was running I thought I would be better off not just jumping from a 10-minute mile (easy) to an 8-and-change minute mile (MP), so I ended up picking up the pace gradually throughout the run.

1709493254154.png
The Strava pace line graph, for a change, because it better shows my slowly increasing pace

I did end up reasonably close to my new paces (theoretically 8:12, 7:55-8:00, and 7:31) for the last 2.5 miles, but it was pretty challenging. (Isn't it great when you run one mile at what's supposed to be your marathon pace and it feels really hard? 😬) It was just one of those days when you keep looking at your watch, asking "Are we there yet? Are we there yet??"

It didn't help that it was warm and humid. At least I had pretty good cloud cover the whole time. Even though I didn't necessarily need it, I carried Skratch instead of water in my handheld to help compensate for the summery weather.

Totals
Running: 4h 11m, 25.41 miles
Strength/mobility: 1h 55m
Total: 6h 7m

1709496474437.png
Strava weekly log

Definitely a significant drop in mileage thanks to the extra days off, but hopefully it helped with recovery after the challenge. I would like to go back to 50º mornings, though. (Of course, when I get back to DC in a couple of weeks it'll probably be some 30º mornings and then I'll be whining about that 🙈)

Coming up
1709493865333.png
Next week's schedule

Back to our regularly scheduled training. I have made some updates to the plan since I'm no longer doing RnR which I will post about separately.

March 4 - 10, 2024
Speed training week 9

In which I never get sick, I swear

Monday
Easy: 5.37 miles (10:15), avg. HR 149, max 165, 99% Z1-2
upper body strength

Hot and humid again, but at least it stayed cloudy until the very end. I felt surprisingly okay considering my workout the day before was pretty tough.

I did have a scratchy throat, and I was hoping that I wasn't coming down with the cold my dad brought back from a work trip...

Tuesday
Easy/strides: 5.38 miles (10:23), avg. HR 146, max 176, 96% Z1-2

I woke up with my throat feeling more sore. Nothing below the neck, though, so I figured I could try running. I actually felt fine WHILE I was running. But when I finished, I was hacking up a lung and felt exhausted. So I took the rest of the day off and had a long nap.

Wednesday
off

Still sick.

Thursday
yoga

Still sick but also restless.

Friday
yoga

It's really annoying to be not so sick that you're just lying in bed all day but sick enough that you can't really do normal stuff. I did a slightly more active yoga.

Saturday
off

I was feeling somewhat better but decided to wait one more day before I tried running again. Especially since we had family in town and went to Disney for the afternoon. (Priorities.) We did DHS and MK.

IMG_4914.JPG
Family Mine Train photo

Sunday
Easy: 4.17 miles (10:29), avg. HR 153, max ?

Finally feeling more or less recovered! Ish. I wanted to ease into it so I just did a short run to see how it would feel and it was not bad.

Then in the afternoon we headed to Epcot! We ate some festival goodies (100% get the cinnamon roll bites from Brunchcot; they are delicious), did a couple rides, and saw heard Rick Springsteen. I say heard because here is the view during Jesse's Girl 🤣

Rick Springfield.jpg
Looking across the way to the theater in America with a crowd of people with their phones out. Because what everyone really wants to see is your crappy cell phone video of Rick Springfield from way back behind the actual seats 😂

I happened to be wearing my Princess HM shirt, so when I saw the Tiana topiary in the America pavilion, I had to get a picture!

double Tiana.jpg
Me in my Tiana shirt standing in front of the Tiana topiary

And that was it for the week! 😶‍🌫️

Totals
Running: 2h 34m, 14.94 miles
Strength/mobility: 1h 8m
Total: 3h 43m

Lolol what a mess. Being sick sucks. I never get sick, so I really couldn't tell how much I should do. I suppose playing it safe was probably the wise choice, but it did kind of set things back. (I was supposed to run 44 miles this week.)

Coming up
So, the last two weeks, between recovering from Princess and then getting sick, I've missed some running, and next week I'm headed back to DC, which is going to mess things up again. I'm thinking my best option might be to ease back into it next week, and then pick back up with what I was supposed to do this week once I'm back in DC. I'll be like two weeks behind, but also I wasn't targeting an actual race, just planning to race a couple of parkruns. So it should still work. 🤷‍♀️ I think. Although I feel like that also makes it more like two separate training blocks than one. Anyone have other suggestions?

Let's hope I have fulfilled my quota of illness for like three more years, okay?

your crappy cell phone video of Rick Springfield from way back behind the actual seats

Is Rick Springfield a Springsteen knockoff? ;)

Hope you're feeling better soon :hug: I don't have any other suggestions since you're so much more knowledgeable than me. I would think you're so fast that missing two weeks wouldn't hinder your training too much...

Is Rick Springfield a Springsteen knockoff? ;)
Lol I also did not know who he was, and then my dad started naming songs and I was like, "Nope, nope, nope..." and then he said, "Jesse's Girl" and I got it. So he sings Jesse's Girl.

Hope you're feeling better soon :hug: I don't have any other suggestions since you're so much more knowledgeable than me. I would think you're so fast that missing two weeks wouldn't hinder your training too much...
Thanks! I think I will be fine; just trying to figure out what impact, if any, it will have on this training cycle.

Lol I also did not know who he was, and then my dad started naming songs and I was like, "Nope, nope, nope..." and then he said, "Jesse's Girl" and I got it. So he sings Jesse's Girl.
It's more that you mentioned Rick Springsteen earlier then Rick Springfield. It was a bad joke ;)

I hope you're really on the mend!

You only missed the week of being sick, and you weren't horribly sick. If I was in a place in my training cycle where things were increasing (pace or distance), then I'd probably try to adjust my next week down a bit to bridge the gap from the week I did before getting sick to the next week.

March 11 - 17, 2024
In which I am sick of being sick

Monday
Easy: 4.18 miles (10:49), avg. HR ??
upper body strength

The weather was pretty nice, and I felt okay. My HR monitor was just a little off, though, and it was messing with my head. And then I got back and shortly was feeling pretty tired, so obviously not fully recovered yet. I was optimistically thinking I could start getting back closer to my normal schedule, though, so I did an itty bitty strength routine.

Tuesday
yoga

And then I was too tired again ☹️

Wednesday
Easy: 4.18 miles (10:50), avg. HR 153, max 164, 100% Z1-2
lower body strength

Ugh. I got to like 85% better and then stopped. I just wanna feel normal 😭

I'm giving up on making plans for training in the immediate future; much as I want to be training normally, like, NOW, I do realize that jumping back in before my body is ready does not lead to good results. *grumble grumble grumble*

The strength was another "nope, not recovered yet" mini routine. I swapped the jump squats for weighted squats + calf raises because, again, not recovered yet 😫

Thursday
off

I took the day off for one last trip to Epcot for Guardians/festival. For anyone hitting up the Flower & Garden Festival over the next few months:

- Chicken and waffles, The Honey Bee-stro: the waffle was a bit dry, but otherwise everything was pretty good. 3.5/5
- Spicy hot dog, Pineapple Promenade: I liked the spicy/sweet combo idea in theory, but in practice it was a mess. All the liquid on the hot dog soaked the bun so much it was inedible. Eating a hot dog with a fork and knife is not my preferred method. 1/5
hot dog.jpg
Spicy hot dog with chicken and waffle in the background

- Chocolate maple whiskey cake, Northern Bloom: the cake itself was a tiny bit dry, but otherwise it was good. 3.5/5
whiskey chocolate cake.jpg
Chocolate maple whiskey bundt cake

- Croissant au fromage de chevre, herbes et ail rotie, Fleur de Lys: hard to go wrong with a croissant stuffed with cheese and garlic. 4/5
- Parmentier de canard a l'orange, Fleur de Lys: was okay. We had to walk for a bit to find a table, so maybe it would have been better if it were still warm. One of the people there had had it before and said it was really good, so could be worth a try. 2/5
- Beignet caramelise, Fleur de Lys: wouldn't have called it a beignet, but it was a pretty good custard-filled doughnut. 4/5
- La vie en rose frozen slush, Fleur de Lys: a yummy frozen drink. 4/5
- Spicy mala chicken skewer, Lotus House: good flavor, not spicy. 4/5
- Cheesy crab wontons, Lotus House: no surprises here. 4/5
- Dragon dynasty, Lotus House: tasted like bubble gum, which was weird. 1/5
- Sope de chilorio, Jardin de Fiestas: the shell/bowl was a bit thick, but the filling (pork, black beans, cabbage, queso fresco) was good. 3.5/5
- Tamale de rajas, Jardin de Fiestas: not bad. Could have used more filling. 2.5/5
- Orange sesame tempura shrimp, The Citrus Blossom: flavor was good, texture was a little weird. 2.5/5
- Avocado toast, Brunchcot: yummy. 4/5
- Biscuit and gravy (with Impossible meat), Brunchcot: the biscuit was kind of dry/dense, but the rest was good. 3/5
- Fried cinnamon roll bites, Brunchcot: the first time, these were amazing. They seem to have chopped up some croissant dough, fried it, coated it with cinnamon sugar, and drizzled frosting over it, which...yum. So we got them again the second time we went, and they did not wow us quite as much. I think they needed more frosting that time, and possibly they weren't quite as fresh. If you get a good batch, though...5/5.
brunchcot.jpg
Brunchcot offerings

Friday
Easy: 3.27 miles (10:55), avg. HR 149, max 160, 100% Z1-2

My first mile was trash. The next 2.27 miles were also trash, just slightly less stinky. I would like to be better now, please and thank you.

Saturday
travel/light cardio/core

Got up very early to drive back to DC. My dog has a baffling habit of finding the most uncomfortable-looking positions to sleep in 😂

car nap.jpg
My dog laying sideways across the backseat of the car with his head leaning against the center console

When we got home, I did a short video, just to work out the kinks from a day of sitting in the car. A little easy cardio, a little core, barely broke a sweat despite skipping the rest intervals for the same exercise, so it was good.

Sunday
Easy: 4.99 miles (10:22), avg. HR 157, max 169, 91% Z1-2 (?)

I saved my run for the afternoon when it was warm and sunny (mainly because I had no food and had to go grocery shopping in the morning), and I maybe started out a little too excited to not feel like crap. I think my HR readings might still have been a little off for the first mile or so, but I was also working harder than usual running up the gradual hill after several months of pancake-flat routes 😬

I'm still coughing (especially post-run) so not recovered yet 😒

Totals
Running: 2h 58m, 16.63 miles
Strength/mobility: 1h 8m
Total: 4h 6m

I guess it's a little better than last week...but not much. UGH. I hate being sick.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to try to run this afternoon. (This morning was a hard pass; I was too tired to get up early so I could run when it was cold and windy out.) We'll see how I'm feeling. Someday I will be better...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter