Your best “beat the heat” products

I prefer the Frogg Toggs to the Disney towels. I had a FT yesterday and my son kept saying he was hot, so I went to a shop and asked for a pair of scissors and cut it in half and gave half to him. It worked well.

We also have a misting fan. But we forgot it this trip so I bought one at Disney. I prefer ours that isn't Disney, ours is smaller and more portable. But we will do this one for this trip. We got the Pandora one, not the general Mickey one.

Anyway, the other thing I do that really helps is to have a well insulated thermos type water bottle and pour a small amount of ice water on my head every now and then, it really cools me down.

We pretty much just go as normal, except we drink lots of water. We make a point to get electrolyte water and drink some apple/pineapple/orange juice.

We make a point to eat fresh fruit/produce, avoid big meals mid-day. Salads are good mid-day. They get a bit monotonous, but WDW has some variety now. Tangerines are good.
Ice water with an Emergen-c packet and a splash of OJ really hits the spot and keeps us moving.

Do you order groceries for your hotel room to have fresh produce on hand or buy in the parks? I also can’t stomach a heavy meal during the day when it’s hot. I’m going to order groceries with bananas, cuties, apples and some fruit cups to take with us to the parks.

I ordered some lightweight, quick dry skorts from 32 Degrees and they are just right! They fit perfectly and are so light and breathable. Not too short and the bike shorts underneath are not see through like some other brands.

I heat tested them today running errands all over tarnation. It was 103 and the skorts were breezy and super comfy in the heat.

I ordered several more and now I’m all set for our trip!
You're done with shopping, but just to throw out a suggestion for any one else still looking... Lululemon Hotty Hot (high-rise, 4" inseam version) is my FAAAAAVOURITE short. They're also super light/cool etc... and I find them so flattering. The curved mesh cutout at the sides and the high elastic waist are such a good combo.

Ice water with an Emergen-c packet and a splash of OJ really hits the spot and keeps us moving.

Do you order groceries for your hotel room to have fresh produce on hand or buy in the parks? I also can’t stomach a heavy meal during the day when it’s hot. I’m going to order groceries with bananas, cuties, apples and some fruit cups to take with us to the parks.
We tend to have a car when we visit WDW, so one option we commonly use is to place an order for pickup. Target is a decent option. Over by Universal is a Whole Foods. Otherwise, we try to make do with what we can find at WDW.

Sometimes the food courts have grapes, whole bananas, mediocre apples (tend to avoid the apples). The fruit carts in the parks have Cuties. The fruit carts at Universal have grapes at a reasonable price. Another place that often has fruit is the Land in Epcot.

Sadly, WDW is sorely lacking when it comes to produce. A number of times at TS restaurants I've ordered a side vegetable that arrived inedible.

The Boardwalk Deli offers big deli pickles. They are a bit tart, but we liked them.

There are also many offsite options. We often just pick up what we want, but delivery is now also an option. I wouldn't normally rave about Panda Express, but there's one close to WDW that has very good stir-fried veggies. If you stay late in the parks, there is not much late at night on property, but just off WDW is Miller's Ale House that has late menu. Basic pub food, but they do have salads and veggies as a side that are not too bad, and they are quick to prep carry out orders.

Been looking at the cooling hats and wondered if anyone had a recommendation for an XL cooling hat? One sized hats do not fit my husbands head so hoping to find an xl cooling option

Been looking at the cooling hats and wondered if anyone had a recommendation for an XL cooling hat? One sized hats do not fit my husbands head so hoping to find an xl cooling option
My husband also has a big head and regular hats do not fit him. I got him this one on Amazon and it fits great…

Zylioo XXL Oversize UV Fishing Sun Hat,Breathable Quick Dry Boonie Hats,Adjustable Cooling Safari Hats with Strap​

Just back and wanted to comment on what worked for us regarding the heat. Early mornings and evenings after sunset were great but when the blaring sun came out in the afternoons it was was brutal.

We went back to the hotel most days to get out of the sun. Swam a couple of those days, and napped the other days.

Products:

The UV umbrella was the star of the show. It brought the heat down at least 10 degrees. The glare was dropped completely as well. Two thumbs up for that recommendation!

Water wipes XL: I decided to do these instead of cooling towels. They come in portable packs and are disposable. They are like baby wipes but made of 99 percent water. They are also about 3 times the size of a normal wipe. They were fabulous for wiping down faces, hands, arms legs… everything that ailed us. I would lay the wipe across my legs after wipe downs and it felt so cool. Highly recommend if you don’t want to fuss with an icky wet towel in your bag throughout the day. These are use and toss. https://www.waterwipes.com/us/en/products/baby-care-products/nose-to-toes-extra-large-baby-wipes

Water, water and more water: I ordered three cases of 24 bottles delivered through Publix/Instacart. If you turn the beverage cooler (for those that have that style fridge) in the room all the way to high it makes them icy cold. The bottles stayed cold in the backpack for hours. We finished all three cases during our week stay.

Light colored tops: I ditched my normal black clothes for white/beige. Massive difference from the one day I wore something dark.

It’s hot as hades out there, folks. Be safe!

What worked for me: UV umbrella. I didn't think this would make much of a difference but it was amazing, especially at Epcot world showcase where there is so little shade.

Cooling towel. I would wrap it around a wrist, put it on the back of my neck, or sometimes down the old cleavage. Just remember to sunscreen after. Sunscreen a lot!

Also, wear a hat for when the umbrella is impractical. I never put sunscreen on my face and didn't get one bit of sunburn.

Clothes: I bought all sweat wicking clothes. Excellent usage. I might feel damp if I was sitting on a ride seat but once walking everything would dry out. Also, I brought an extra pair of sock and undies - changed in the bathroom. It's amazing how refreshed you feel with all dry undies.

Lastly - alternating plain water with electrolyte water. I would start the day with a bottle of water, then refill it and add powdered electrolytes. Repeat all day.

What didn't work: personal battery fan. It just blew hot air on me. I only used it one day then left it in the hotel the rest of the trip.

No, the Camelbak does not need to be empty. We fill the bladder all the way with ice from the ice machine and then cold bottled water. It stays cold for HOURS.

Try some UnderArmour Tech 2.0 heat gear shirts. They are honestly light as a feather. You barely feel them on. They are super comfy. Kohls carries them if you want to try them on before buying.
I got a few of these shirts, some of the sleeveless compression shirts and their underroos and fruit of the loom breathable socks and got back a couple of weeks ago and the humidity was extra high because of the hurricane. These made such a huge difference. You still sweat, but the clothes don’t hold onto the moisture. Did not feel swampy after a day in the parks.

The...
#1 thing for us are the small portable UV umbrellas
#2 is light colored clothing (for me specifically, synthetic lightweight T shirts)

Our favorite item this trip has been the Disney spray bottle with fan. I had a dollar store one once but it broke. We are in our third trip with this one! ($21.99). Lots of water and we have been grabbing lemon juice packets from the cafeteria. Cooling towels.

Bigger was planning our day to alternate indoor and outdoor activities and lines.

I used a cooling towel (cheap from Amazon) in August. I think it helped a lot. We got stuck on Hagrids in the sun for 10 minutes. I put the towel over my head to stay out of the sun. It helped. The cooling effect lasted for 2 - 3 hours after wetting.

The Disney cooling towels they sell on property are great! Work fantastic.
I have this little fan combo and love it - and not just because it stops spinning if I accidentally bump myself with so my hair doesn't get all tangled in it. It's nice because it's also a power bank and a flashlight plus it folds up compactly and is easy to carry.

View attachment 775104
This is a great little fan! We each had one with us on our recent (late August) trip. I have since purchased two more and keep one in my laptop bag for days in the office before the a/c kicks on. It is foldable and fairly quiet, producing more air than one would expect. I highly recommend it.

We're pretty acclimated and avoid summer mostly.
Here's tips I give our family and friends who aren't.
Always arrive the earliest you can.
Try to not overindulge in sugar or caffeine early.
Avoid alcohol early.
Try to book an indoor late lunch to get sat down and cool off.
Wear light loose clothes and breathable shoes and socks.
Gadgets are cool but make sure your pack mule doesn't mind the extra weight and you have room early and late when it's unnecessary.
The frozen water bottle trick isn't a suggestion, it's imperative.
Have a plan, string your rides and shows together as best you can to avoid extra walking.
Reread these type posts a couple times to figure out which suggestions work best for you. This board is the best resource there is.

You're done with shopping, but just to throw out a suggestion for any one else still looking... Lululemon Hotty Hot (high-rise, 4" inseam version) is my FAAAAAVOURITE short. They're also super light/cool etc... and I find them so flattering. The curved mesh cutout at the sides and the high elastic waist are such a good combo.
These were AMAZING on my trip last week. I only needed two pairs because they wash out in the sink and dry within 24 hours. I sweated a ton last week but these shorts kept the air flowing!

Only caution I have is I had a quality control issue when I tried to get my second pair last year and they just didn’t fit right and neither did the replacement. I tried again this year and all was fine. So, wear them at home for a day to make sure they fit properly even if you are ordering the exact same thing you’ve ordered before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter