Your best two pieces of advice for your children

"Your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that." - from Kingdom of Heaven.

Everyday make time to love someone and to laugh (and check the Disboards!)

The advice that has served me well has come from my dad. He told me to 'find something you love to do and if you are lucky, someone will pay you to do it.' I know I got more than one teaching job using that one in the interview!;)

The other advice that I find myself applying to a myriad of situtations is "It makes the job a lot easier when you have the right tools." Seems shallow or trite, but, man, I can't tell you how many times I have an "aha" moment and if I had just followed it first, would have save myself a ton of time and anxiety!

And on a funny note, I know I will pass on the 'we can do this the easy way or the hard way' quote from my dad. He seemed to use a it a lot for me . . .
*ahem*

1. Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
2. Your self worth does not come from the size of your hips, how many people are attracted to you, or what other people say about you. You are worth a million just because you're you!

This is such a great thread. I loved his lecture.
1. Marry your best friend- if he/she is the first person who you need when something bad has happened or the first person you want to share something great with , then he/she is the right person.
2. Always be yourself and be yourself proudly but judge those who aren't just like you

I am subbing. This thread is very uplifting. It is great to read in the moring.:)

I already gave my two pieces of advice but..... I can't resist. Here are 2 more :

"Beauty isn't worth thinking about;
what's important is your mind. You
don't want a fifty dollar haircut on
a fifty-cent head."

"Always do right.
This will gratify some people and
astonish the rest."

Mark Twain

My Dad has always been my inspiration in many ways. When I was a young adult (21-ish), after a long night out he posted a note on my door that read:

1. If you're going to hoot with the owls, be prepared to rise with birds the next morning. :rolleyes1

and a bit of advice I have passed on to many of my family and friends:

2. Failing to plan is planning to fail. :thumbsup2

I don't know where he got that one, but its SOOO true!

The other advice that I find myself applying to a myriad of situtations is "It makes the job a lot easier when you have the right tools." Seems shallow or trite, but, man, I can't tell you how many times I have an "aha" moment and if I had just followed it first, would have save myself a ton of time and anxiety.

Whenever my kids are frustrated that a project isn't working, I remind them to ask themselves, "Is it the FOOL or the TOOL?" Then fix the one that isn't working.

Make good choices now so you don't have to regret them later.

Never leave the house or go to bed angry with anyone...always say I love you.

1. Love yourself - never forget that God makes everyone special & that includes you.

2. There will be many people in your life who love you; friends, grandparents, siblings, spouse, children etc. but no one will ever love you or be there for you like your Mom.

1. Before you do anything think about what you will accomplish by doing it. This goes for arguments, education, purchases etc.

2.Set your priorities:
God/beliefs
Self
Spouse
Children
Others

If you are not true to yourself and your beliefs you are worthless to others. If you do not put your spouse before your children you cannot build a healthy life for them. Of course I am fine if they want to do it alone as well. That would be the beliefs before the spouse thing.

Monica

I have to have three:

Choose to be happy. I really believe it's a choice not a situation.

Thanks for letting me cheat!

Monica

This reminds me of something my grandma would always tell us when we were kids.....Always leave the house in good underware:lmao:
One that I have learned from...Everything in life happens for a reason you may or may not know now:confused3 but usually figure out later in life.
One more my mom had cut out of the newspaper and hung on the fridge a long time ago (sorry if I don't get it exactly right)
If you love someone, Let them go
If they return, Hold onto them forever
If not, it was never meant to be.:love:

Do your best.... cause it's the best you can do. - Rolie Polie Olie

When you're handed lemons.... make lemonade.

2. There will be many people in your life who love you; friends, grandparents, siblings, spouse, children etc. but no one will ever love you or be there for you like your Mom.

What a coincidence!....I always tell my kids: Just remember, nobody loves you more than momma!!

My mother died at age 45. Her mother died at age 44. This is something I had to come to terms with before deciding to have children myself.

One thing I did to cover the bases is to choose a song for each of my boys. My older son's song is Forever Young by Rod Stewart. My younger son's song is I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Wommack.

Forever Young

May the Good Lord be with you
Down every road you roam
And may sunshine and happiness
Surround you when youre far from home
And may you grow to be proud
Dignified and true
And do unto others
As you'd have done to you
Be courageous and be brave
And in my heart you'll always stay
Forever young, forever young

May good fortune be with you
May your guiding light be strong
Build a stairway to heaven
Whether prince or a vagabond

And may you never love in vain
And in my heart you will remain
Forever young
Forever young

And when you finally fly away
I'll be hoping that I served you well
For all the wisdom of a lifetime
No one can ever tell

But whatever road you choose
I'm right behind you, win or lose
Forever young ,forever young
For, forever young, forever young

I Hope You Dance

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance

I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
(Where those years have gone)

I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

Dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance

(Tell me who)
I hope you dance

Whenever their songs come on the radio I call attention to them. I've purchased each boy a cd with his song.

I consider these songs to be benedictions. If I go tomorrow, I the songs will be there to carry on my advice and hopes for my sons.

Well My Dad always said...

Say what you mean and mean what you say...
and...
There are THREE sides to every story...
Your Side, Their Side, and The Truth !

Great thread! i 'm going to use some of these on my kids. :rolleyes: wish I listen to a few myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter