Your Oldest Disney Memory

I didn't get to go to WDW until I was 16 (in 1983, you do the math). I was in a Police Explorer Scout Troop and the leaders (police officers) organized a fundraiser for us "underprivileged inner city kids" and we drove down to WDW in one day (coming from Chicago). We stayed at the Fort Wilderness campground trailers and it was the first time I was away from my parents. The boat ride from FW to MK was the best. I'll never forget it.

I remember seeing figment and the dream finder, and my mum was telling me to go get a picture.

I loved figment but I was far too shy and we didn't see them again...

What I wouldn't give to have that chance now! silly toddler me!:sad2:

I didn't get to go to WDW until I was 16 (in 1983, you do the math). I was in a Police Explorer Scout Troop and the leaders (police officers) organized a fundraiser for us "underprivileged inner city kids" and we drove down to WDW in one day (coming from Chicago). We stayed at the Fort Wilderness campground trailers and it was the first time I was away from my parents. The boat ride from FW to MK was the best. I'll never forget it.

I was a "Fresh Air Fund" kid!

I did the "one-day drive" on a bus a couple times. It wasn't fun, was it? :lmao: FW always seemed like fun.

Well that's a shame! Cuz back in the day, no matter what happened, you could count on Uncle Walt taking you to some exciting adventurous place at 7:00 every Sunday night! :thumbsup2

You've reminded me of one of my fondest memories! I really wish Disney would introduce a TV Land type Disney channel and run all those wonderful shows, classic cartoons and movies.

My first trip was in 1972. We stayed in the Contemporary and felt like the richest people in the world. Mom got up early, and sat on the balcony watching all the mysterious white trucks go down the road and UNDER the Magic Kingdom! There was a breakfast buffet on "Top of the World" that had the most wonderful fruit bar ever. The whole park smelled like popcorn and ice cream, and the ground was so clean you could eat off it. We stayed for 4 days, there was only ONE park but we were never bored. We hoarded our "E" tickets to spread the really cool rides out. That trip began a life long love affair with all things WDW.

TinkerbellWONDERFULworldDisneySMALL.jpg

I loved watching TWWOD! :upsidedow

This is not one of my 1st memories, but my fav....

I was 17 and went on vacation with my dad, stepmom, lil bro and 70-some year old grandmother. It was our 1st family vacation (EVER! My parents owned their own business and could never find time to leave), the 1st time my grandmother, Bama, flew on a plane. We stayed in Wilderness Cabins and rented a golf cart!

We were walking out of the Jungle Cruise at dusk and my lil bro called out "Bama's on the floor" We all turn around and see my grandmother laying on the ground, laughing at herself. She had missed a step and plop, on the floor she was. She couldn't stop laughing, to the point where we all started laughing and couldn't stop. I'm pretty sure we all came close to wetting ourselves that night!

It was one of the last good memories I have of my family as a whole. I got pregnant less than a year later, my son died, my father had an affair and my parents got divorced.

Wow there's some great memories popping up on here. I was curious to see how many people's memories were from when they were younger or if their memories started later in life. I see there's a mixture of both. I was lucky to have gone when I was a kid. I wonder today, if I would have the same fascination if I had gone much later, say in my 20's for the first time.

It's funny the little things you remember too:

I remember the parks being the cleanest place I had ever seen and the landscaping being perfect. People constantly sweeping and picking up trash. I remember my mother saying, "Wow you could eat off the streets." Not that we would. :)

Odd thing to notice when you're only 13. I remember the employees being almost OVERLY happy and friendly and wondered how they could be that way all the time, but then realized that they were at Disneyland and you couldn't work there and NOT be happy. It was my dream from then on to work at Disneyland.

We were sitting at the Carnation Cafe on Mainstreet when I was 13 and there was a Ragtime Piano player. I was fascinated. I had been taking piano lessons since I was 3 and I swore that I was going to apply to be a piano player at Disneyland when I got old enough. When I was 18 and had just graduated, I submitted an audition tape.

Although they said I was good, they declined my submission. I was heartbroken.

1965: Disneyland with Mom and Dad and my two older sisters. I was 9!
I do not remember a lot from that trip since i have been so many times now. I remember going into the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea exhibit. Because we were not rich we got ONE ticket book and had to decide carefully what rides to do. I rode Alice in Wonderland alone. Mom and Dad told us kids we could have some time alone in the park. We ended up following them where ever they went!
The biggest memory is of riding the Matterhorn. They were only one car units back then and Mom and my sisters went in the car ahead of Dad and me. Mom is 6'1" and I was sure her head was scraping the tops of the caves. I was so worried about Mom I don't remember a lot about the ride.

Ohhh so many! Our 1st trip 1979, I was 12... I remember:

Riding the monorail and thinking VERY soon, that would be the way everyone got around!

Walking down Main St. and wanting to live there, forever!

Seeing the Crystal Palace and thinking that was THE most fanciest place I'd ever seen!

Being overwhelmed by ALL the shops!!

Surprised that I LOVED the shows, ESPECIALLY the Tiki House!

I remember thinking SOMEDAY I'd come back and get married at the Polynesian Village..which to me, seemed better than Hawaii!

I remember eating dinner on the Empress Lilly and feeling VERY spoiled..my Mom was divorced and worked a whole year of overtime, to take my sister and I! We also had FRONT ROW SEATS at The Top of The World and saw Diane Caroll sing!!

I remember falling in LOVE with Pirates, I can still smell that smell....

I remember getting left behind in the restrooms, and the entire group being mad at me..yet they left me? I still don't get that!! Guest Services rescued me!!! :banana:

Eating a Dole Whip for the 1st time!

Going to the Poly Luau and thinking that was SO tropical..even though the food was yucky!

Seeing the Electric Light Parade and then again on the water, and thinking no one back home will believe this!

That same trip, we went to Sea World, where I had my portrait done, it now hangs in our bedroom...I was PROUDLY wearing my Shamu earings!!

I remember how I loved ( and STILL do) all the sounds of Disney World, the different music in each land...maybe that's why I listen to it on my computer, every day~!!

Spending the day at River Country and LOVING It!!! My mom did the T Bar and fell 10 seconds after she got on!! :rotfl:

I mostly remember, every morning, after we ate breakfast, the "Feeling" I got, as we entered Main Street...it was and still is a magical feeling, that only other Disney Fanatics truly understand!! :wizard:

I remember getting left behind in the restrooms, and the entire group being mad at me..yet they left me? I still don't get that!! Guest Services rescued me!!! :banana:

Funny :laughing:

Sep '06, I remember sittin' on the balcony at the Contemporary lookin' at Cinderella's castle after 4 days of commando style Disney, havin' fulfilled the promise to my mentally handicapped brother age 43 then and thinkin' how damn expensive the trip was because I was only gonna do it once and how we'd never return because a part of me gets mad that a Mickey bar is $2.50.

Now I have a BCV, AP and 2 trips planned this year. :lmao:

Sep '06, I remember sittin' on the balcony at the Contemporary lookin' at Cinderella's castle after 4 days of commando style Disney, havin' fulfilled the promise to my mentally handicapped brother age 43 then and thinkin' how damn expensive the trip was because I was only gonna do it once and how we'd never return because a part of me gets mad that a Mickey bar is $2.50.

Now I have a BCV, AP and 2 trips planned this year. :lmao:

commando style Disney........does that mean you don't wear underwear while in the parks?

Sep '06, I remember sittin' on the balcony at the Contemporary lookin' at Cinderella's castle after 4 days of commando style Disney:

We always say next time we won't - but somehow we always get back to some kind of a commando style trip.

I feel ya UR! ;)

Isn't it against the law to sleep past 5 AM at WDW? :confused:
Or maybe that's just in my room.

Uncle Remus, you are an enigma. :) Each day we learn just a tiny bit more about you and it is fascinating.

In my room it's a crime past 7am! I'm generally commando ALL the way..this next trip, I'm PENCILING in some time to relax and be spontaneous! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter