Your suggestions please - social story for ASD son

Carebare609

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone, my DS 10 has just been diagnosed as Autistic. As a mum I always knew things worked different for him but he's bright and has learned how to fit in over the years. Doing new things out of his routine have always been a cause of high stress so i've been looking into what I could do to help with our upcoming trip to Disney World in April.

He is very into watching Youtube videos so I thought I would try to make a social story into a video he can watch. This is my first try at anything like this so I would really appreciate any suggestions you have.

I know i need to leave the text on screen longer as not everyone reads as quickly as i do :-)

Last edited:
HI there..

My son who is also 10 was just this summer diagnosed with Autism. he too is very rigid in his routines etc. I have never done a video of Disneyland. but we do use social stories.. I use Watson Institute for their social stories that you can edit.. you can put your own photos and text into the story and then print it off..
Your video is great, I would maybe change the order of looking for the sign to after the hotel.. if he is like my son and we dont do things in order.. then there can be a meltdown.. so if he feels he is getting off the plane, and then looking for signs of Disneyland , then he will think the next step is Disneyland..
when you get to the airport if you think that the lines through security will be too much for him you can ask for special assistance.. they will guide you through the security lines etc.. the same way that if you need a wheelchair they will help you through... there are programs with the airlines that allow the kids to do a dry run on a plane not sure if they have that program in the UK, (Im assuming you are coming from the UK) and not sure if he has flown before , but it could be something you look into...
My son and I will start to watch Youtube videos about 3 weeks before we leave., of all the rides that we would like to go on... and then I look at the refrub list and then we write down which rides we want to go on etc.. I have to remind him that the order on list is not the order we would do the rides though..
I have to take his own food.. and then we try something new on each tip. We go to Disneyland not DisneyWorld. every year and each year it gets better.. I can now relax a lot now.. but our next trip. there is going to be some adjusting to be done.. as Toontown will be shut , not train etc.. and thats the first thing we do .. anyway.. I wont tell him until we get closer to going.. gulp !lol
Anyway have a great trip.. you can message me if you want to chat more...

Wow, that's very well done! I agree that you need to have the text "sit" on each screen long enough for a slow reader, especially some of the ones with longer text. I'm also wondering if the music/vocals in the background will distract? It may depend on your son; I can see where the music may well help him to stay calm having a song he can recognize and associate with the whole process. Good job!

Enjoy your vacation!

Hi! I'm just marking this post to reasd later. My twin sons (ASD) will be 6 when we go to Disney and think a social story is a great idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter