Your worst Disney accident?

My trip back in February involved 3 accidents.

1. My friends' 8 year old son had to be rescued from a quiet pool at Pop.

2. My 4 year old daughter got her first bee sting at the same pool. That was so traumatic for her, but I couldn't pass up the perfect opportunity it offered. We headed over to AK and immediately went to It's Tough To Be A Bug.

3. I accidently mentioned my vacations plans in front of family and went from planning a vacation for 3 to a vacation for 13.

Our first trip to WDW my youngest (2) fell backwards off a bench during the Lion King Show ending up with a concussion. Our second trip when she was 3 she got a staph infection and she fell out of the stroller backward. Not horrible, but stuff we will never forget can only think what will happen our third time there!

My wife and I (back when we were dating) were on our 1st real vacation together at WDW.

1st day, walking into the MK, she steps off the curb, not realizing it was a curanderos Spain's her ankle. She blames me, claiming I was pulling her in excitement, but I claim shenanigans on that :)

Either way, she's in a rented wheelchair for the duration if the trip.

Lots of wacky wheelchair stories, but my fav was we were going over a bridge (not sure where) and I was pushing her bc talking to her family as we crest the hill. Next thing I know, I am holding 2 plastic wheelchair handle grips and she is rolling away down the bridge at light speed. People were diving out of the way.

Then, at the end of the trip, she is better an walking. We are on Dinosaur and the car was acting very odd, bouncing and bucking more then usual. At the end when the Dino appears above you, it spooked me and I ducked, just as the car bucked up. I hit my fake front tooth (dental cap) on the handles and popped it
Loose. Thankfully it was the end if the ride and I was able to get the CM to hold the car until I found it on the floor of the car at the unload.

Btw honey....did it tell you I have a fake tooth? No? Well......guess what?

I bent over at typhoon lagoon to pick up a piece of paper and tore a muscle in my back. I was stuck bent over in incredible pain. I sucked it up and with some pain killers, made it through the last two days of vacation without having to just sit in the room. The plane ride home ruined me though and I ended up laid up in bed for three weeks.

It has/had been one of "those" years, just one thing after another... If my family doesn't laugh about what a crazy year 2008 was, we would be cryin'!

That was our Aug 2010-Aug2011:
DH and I: three separate car accidents, each hit once as pedestrians, each separately hurting something else requiring surgery/massive ortho intervention. You couldn't make it up, people wouldn't believe it!

This past August, at AK, on Kali River Rapids, AFTER I was already soaked, we came to the part with the squirting elephants, and I decided to duck so it missed me. Y'know how there's that bar/ring in front of you to hold on to? Crunch. Yep, broke my nose, right in front of my kids. Hurt like heck.

Then during dinner, my wife mentions that those are controlled by people watching the ride, and she was the one squirting us. :rotfl2:

In the 80s you could apparently have a child on your lap on Space Mountain. My parents tell me when I was 5 or 6 I was on my dad's lap and the ride suddenly stopped and I hit my head and passed out. I of course have no recollection of this! Instead of "let the memories begin!" I had a "let the memories pause..." moment. I turned out ok (I think?) and now kids are not allowed in laps!

Several years ago at the Frontierland Train Station Judy managed to slip her leg between two of the vertical posts on the fence and was unable to get it back out. She and I and the Station Attendent tried to maneuver her leg but somehow the knee had managed to slip between the two posts and it would not come back out.

These were 4" x 4" rough-hewn wood posts. They ended up calling Reedy Creek Emergency Services who sent over a Rescue Squad with a Jaws of Life to separate the posts.

Did this happen in May? My family still talks about seeing someone's leg stuck in the fence on the train station as we were standing in the Splash Mountain line.
I think I even have a picture of the scene some where.

In the 80s you could apparently have a child on your lap on Space Mountain. My parents tell me when I was 5 or 6 I was on my dad's lap and the ride suddenly stopped and I hit my head and passed out. I of course have no recollection of this! Instead of "let the memories begin!" I had a "let the memories pause..." moment. I turned out ok (I think?) and now kids are not allowed in laps!

The original Space Mountain seats were kinda odd. There was one "seat" for two people. One person got in and the second would sit between the legs of the first. A seat belt went around both of them.

We were so excited when Space Mountain opened since it was the best ride at MK. I can remember getting in line when the line was at the entrance and taking a good long while to get on the ride but at least we were in the AC and not outside in the heat. This was well before Fast Passes.

Later,
Dan

Back in the old days:) I nearly drowned on the tube slide at River Country. It was in one of those areas that acted like a whirlpool and I fell off the tube and was stuck under all the other people. While panicking, I grabbed hold of someones foot and when they went over the slide it pulled me out.

While at EPCOT Innovations, DW had a spec of metal fly into her eye. Spent rest of day at an Immediate Care.

While DW was pregnant with our 2nd DD, had very bad stomach cramps and we rushed to the hospital. It was very scary but luckly everything ended up fine.

Leaving MK around midnight and being stuck on the monorail(%#$# RED) between POLY and TTC for over 3 hours with no AC and the car was full. Not arriving back to our room until dawn. Oldest DD still does not want to ride the monorail.

I think my absolute WORST was my very first trip! We walked up to Rose & Crown in Epcot and managed to get in, i chose to eat the roast beef dinner for lunch. Took too big of a bite, and when I went to swallow it, i could tell this wasnt going to end well. I ended up full on choking, no air getting through, and none of the friends I was with clued in on what was going on, until I go up to go to the bathroom & THANK GOODNESS once I crossed into the lounge the beef came loose and I could breathe! Terrifying moment!

I think my absolute WORST was my very first trip! We walked up to Rose & Crown in Epcot and managed to get in, i chose to eat the roast beef dinner for lunch. Took too big of a bite, and when I went to swallow it, i could tell this wasnt going to end well. I ended up full on choking, no air getting through, and none of the friends I was with clued in on what was going on, until I go up to go to the bathroom & THANK GOODNESS once I crossed into the lounge the beef came loose and I could breathe! Terrifying moment!

The Universal Choking Sign is one or both hands clutched to the throat. Next time you choke, make the sign so someone can help you!

CHOKING: Ask person if they can speak

If unable to speak, proceed with Heimlich
maneuver

Make a fist with one hand

Put the thumb side of your fist slightly above belly button
and well below the breastbone

Grasp the fist with your other hand and give quick upward
thrusts into abdomen

Give thrusts until the object is forced out and the victim can
breathe, cough, or talk or until he stops responding

The original Space Mountain seats were kinda odd. There was one "seat" for two people. One person got in and the second would sit between the legs of the first. A seat belt went around both of them.

I remember those seats! In 1980 I was there with my mom, Aunt and cousin. My cousin was seated in front of my aunt and when the ride 'took off' his head slammed back into hers and her tooth went right through her lip.

The Universal Choking Sign is one or both hands clutched to the throat. Next time you choke, make the sign so someone can help you! CHOKING: Ask person if they can speak If unable to speak, proceed with Heimlich maneuver ◦ Make a fist with one hand ◦ Put the thumb side of your fist slightly above belly button and well below the breastbone ◦ Grasp the fist with your other hand and give quick upward thrusts into abdomen ◦ Give thrusts until the object is forced out and the victim can breathe, cough, or talk or until he stops responding

Oh im well aware of all that, fully trained in first aid for over 10 years now. My friend did realize as i was doing the sign & shouted "does anyone know the heimlich" (not that its called that anymore) and no one in the resturant even budged. I knew how to "heimlich" myself so i was headed to the bathroom to do that (as it feels like youre going to throw up)

So this wasn't as bad as some of your stories but I will tell anyways.

On the second day of our trip we were relaxing in our room before nap time. My 4 year old birthday boy ran and went to lean over and grab a toy on the floor and BAM hit his face right on the end table. It was so random yet left the biggest black eye.

He cried for just a little bit but, jeez, the dirty looks we got for the rest of the trip. We met a family in the pool later on and the father just gave us that look. I tried to joke and say he does it about once a year- seriously he does- runs into dressers, arm chairs, you name it- and the guy pretty much gave me the dirtiest look and moved his family away from us.

Oh- one more.

On the last day of the trip we rode the Buzz Lightyear ride- me with my 2 year old in one car and my husband with my 4 year old in another.

Right as we are in the last room my son drops his toy and my foot accidentally knocks in out of the car. The toy was a "gift from Mickey" that he left in our hotel room and was a mini Mickey car- my son is obsessed with cars. We get out of the ride cars and I tell the first CM who ignores me- the next CM said we needed to inform the people up front and, if they find it at the end of the night, they can mail it to us.

My son is now having an absolute fit and we can literally see the toy on the belt next to the cars in the last room from where we were standing. There was only a 5 min wait so we decided to ride the ride again and try to reach out and grab the toy when we get to the last room. Stupid I know but it was the last day and we had a crying 2 year old so we weren't thinking clearly.

My husband's ride car is ahead of us so i watch him try to reach it and he was soooo close but missed. I come to it and lean over the top of the ride instead- I am so skinny my body slid through the side of the car and I stepped on the belt and grabbed the toy. I was so excited until I realized the ride stopped, a big guardrail came up, and buzz was yelling STAY IN YOUR VEHICLES. The belt was weight activated! If I had know we would have never tried- I was so embarrassed and ashamed. It took a good 5-10 min. for them to do a full walk through and make sure everyone was okay- I think one of the CM knew it was me and gave me a stern STAY IN YOUR SEAT!

Anyhoo, on to my injury, as we finally got to the end I go to get up and almost fell. I couldn't put weight on my knee. I realized, when I slipped out, my knee twisted. I seriously thought I ripped something inside. I got through the rest of the trip and never went to a doctor but, if I sit in the same position too long I can still feel the pain in my knee.

I say it is my constant shameful memory of Disney.

This didn't happen to me, I just witnessed it. We were sitting on the dock at the Poly waiting for the fireworks. A little boy around 3 started running and you know how you just KNOW something is going to happen? Well, he slipped right off the dock into the water between a boat that had docked and where the boat ties up. Now the water is black, but the mother ran and jumped in right after him and by the grace of God, found him and got him back on the dock.

The boat captain radioed in for the paramedics. Now not a minute later, a guard came running and had blankets for the mother and little boy who was not hurt, just wet and scared. By the time I turned around the paramedics in their speed boat had arrived. They checked both out and asked if they wanted to go to the hospital, but they refused. Now I never seen such a fast response in my life. I had to write to Disney to tell them how impressed I was with the whole thing. They told me that they will put in a good report in their files for the team.

I was so glad that the mother found the little boy so fast. I will never how she did it in that black water.

DD ran into a closed sliding glass door at WL when 5. We reported it to the front desk as she bloodied her nose and it got on the carpet and wall. The CM came and checked it out and said no problem and left. She came back with Mickey ice cream bars for all of us about 15-20 minutes later. pixiedust:
We always joke that it was our out of court settlement with WDW.

Oh im well aware of all that, fully trained in first aid for over 10 years now. My friend did realize as i was doing the sign & shouted "does anyone know the heimlich" (not that its called that anymore) and no one in the resturant even budged. I knew how to "heimlich" myself so i was headed to the bathroom to do that (as it feels like youre going to throw up)
They say don't go to the bathroom--you want to stay around people just in case you become unresponsive. (No matter how embarrassing it may be! :) So glad you were ok. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter