“Accidentally” missing your DME to MCO ?

Chrisizzle

Mouseketeer
I know there have been posts here asking if you can schedule a later DME bus to the airport. The answer is ‘no’ for a number of good reasons (traffic, unexpected delays, etc).

Having said that, would DME refuse to take you on a later bus if you ‘missed’ your allotted seat?

During my last trip, I was killing time around the lobby waiting for my DME to MCO. An earlier bus was loading guests when a Bell Services Cast Member suggested I get on it. I did and it was no problem.

So, if I can get on an earlier bus, I’d like to assume I can get on a later bus too (space permitting, do so at your own risk, and all that fine print).

Has anyone accidentally or deliberately gotten on a later DME bus? Was it an ordeal?

several years ago our flight was delayed, so I missed our bus on purpose so I wouldn’t have to sit around the airport for hours. My plan was to take a taxi, this was before Uber, but luckily a magical express bus pulled in and there was room on it. They took us, but there is definitely a risk, that either there wasn’t one coming or if there was, it was full. I’d only miss the bus if I was prepared to take another mode of transportatio.

I don't have any info on this but I imagine they want you get on your scheduled bus so you don't "accidentally" miss your flight.

Yup. There's a reason they pick you up that early. Depending on where your hotel is in the pickup rotation, they could have other hotels to stop at before heading to the airport, which can take a while. And in my experience, security at MCO is a mess. We were lucky and got pre-check last time, but even with that we didn't have a ton of extra time.

I just book a later DME pick up. Here's how: pick a later domestic flight than yours & give them that flight number. I usually pick one 15-30 minutes later than mine. I'm trying to shave off a bit, not a ton. This way you have seat on a bus, you're picked up later but is totally planned.

Don't use this fictitious flight info when checking a bag with RAC they will easily switch over to actual flight & tag your bag.

I can only recommend this if you don't have mobility or medical issues getting thru security, don't need to check a bag once arriving at airport, can forego eating & bathroom breaks at airport in a pinch if you have to, & are not traveling with a large slow moving party or lots of kids.

What's your level of pain if you miss a fight? What's your level of pain if you're booked on Southwest & arrive after your group boarded & now can't find seats together?

This is really for frequent travelers who have some feel for the amount of time they need to get thru an airport, who are flexible & know what alternate flights are available & can rebook in a heartbeat if things don't go smoothly. Its great for solo travelers on a non-stop flight with multiple flights a day to their destination.

I've had a late DME bus, got picked up 2 hours before my flight & still made it in time for food & restroom & made it to gate before boarding started. That's before I had pre-check.

The reality was that DME picks up 3 hours +/- & mine were ALWAYS 3+. And they ask you to be at bus stop 15 min prior to boarding time & I was pushing 4 hours before flight time. It was just too much for me & I've converted to this method for my last 3 trips.

Now, there are readers who need extra time & feel rushed once at airport. Easy peasy to do this in reverse. Pick a domestic flight leaving a half hour before yours & bam! You've got more airport time!

Happy planning!

Last edited:

I know there have been posts here asking if you can schedule a later DME bus to the airport. The answer is ‘no’ for a number of good reasons (traffic, unexpected delays, etc).

Having said that, would DME refuse to take you on a later bus if you ‘missed’ your allotted seat?

During my last trip, I was killing time around the lobby waiting for my DME to MCO. An earlier bus was loading guests when a Bell Services Cast Member suggested I get on it. I did and it was no problem.

So, if I can get on an earlier bus, I’d like to assume I can get on a later bus too (space permitting, do so at your own risk, and all that fine print).

Has anyone accidentally or deliberately gotten on a later DME bus? Was it an ordeal?
Space permitting and assuming there is a later bus, yes you'll be able to. Having said it's much easier/safer just to schedule your pick up for whatever time you want. We do this every year as there's no way we need 2+ hrs at mco. We just give them a flight time of about 45 mins later than our actual flight.

Our most recent DME ride was completely full, and the driver was insisting on seeing our printed receipts to get on board. Although they can be nice, they're not cast members and they can be much less nice than cast members. My driver did not have the Disney personality one would have hoped for. Bottom line, you'd have missed your flight if you had planned on just hopping on without a correctly timed reservation.

You were lucky as you can't always get on an earlier bus - it depends on the number of guests who are actually booked, we have been early to the stop and been able to board early 2 of 3 times.

The issue with trying to take a later bus is that they don't run every 1/2 hour or even every hour, they are scheduled based on reservations. So if nobody from your resort is booked until several hours after your departure time there won't be a bus. Alternately if the next bus is full of booked guests you won't be allowed to board - the driver doesn't want to get to the next stop only to be short xx # of seats.

Honestly, since you never know how many stops the bus will make after yours (could be anywhere from 0 to 3!) I would either stick with your scheduled pick up or use a rideshare and leave at your leisure. (You can use RAC to check bags regardless of if you use DME or not - its a separate service)

Mmm, probably less than a great idea to post how to circumvent Disney rules (processes, policies, etc.)

Well, I learned about it on the DIS, booked it, loved it, share with others.

DME is not Disney, 3rd party provider. So, I'll keep using this method & I'll keep posting about it. Its not for everyone & I've made that clear.

I get to airports 45 minutes before domestic flights, which means I like to leave Disney 1.5 hours before my trip, not 3+ hours. For that reason I've always ever taken an Uber back to the airport. It's usually <$30. If I were ordering my Uber and saw a ME bus loading I might ask, but Uber would be my first plan.

. We just give them a flight time of about 45 mins later than our actual flight.

Does that work if you have in resort airline check-in such as Delta offers? It seems like they would have all of your info automatically. I'm also not a fan of sitting in MCO for 2+ hours with young kids.

Does that work if you have in resort airline check-in such as Delta offers? It seems like they would have all of your info automatically. I'm also not a fan of sitting in MCO for 2+ hours with young kids.

Not the poster you quoted, but the problem tends to be the security checkpoints more than checking in for the airline. Some trips I have gone thru security super quick, other times it has taken 30 minutes or more.

And as another poster pointed out, DME tends to stop at more than one resort. No way of knowing ahead of time if you are the first stop or the last. I've been on a bus that spent an hour going to other resorts picking up guests. So we had under 90 minutes at the airport.

It is not automatically set up for DME. You will provide a flight # & they will give you your bus time with reserved seat the night before. This doesn't happen just because you bought a ticket. RAC & DME are separate entities but do share info. When you go to RAC on your flight day, update them with current & accurate flight info. I believe they require 3 hours prior for luggage. But I'm usually checking bags in morning & taking DME much later in day. Even if you plan to check bag & board in same window, its still better (for me) to be at RAC 3 hours before flight with DME scheduled for 2.5 hours before flight. The timing works out pretty great. Just remember RAC closes at noon. I usually check bags, leave carry on with bell services, then head to a park for rope drop. Works like a charm.

Short answer: Don't.

At best you will be anxious all the while until you get to the gate for your flight.

At worst the world will end. Immediately. Not 10 or so years from now like the politicians say. Like, the world falls off of Atlas' shoulders and rolls down like the big ball does in Indiana Jones and disappears into an abyss. The same abyss that in pre-Columbus times ships end up in when they sail off the far edge of a flat earth.

(copied from another post) To fill the hours you fear you will be sitting at the airport with your original 3 hour or 3-1/4 hour Magical Express bus, skip your last meal at Disney to give you more park time. Do that last meal at the airport inside security while waiting for your flight.

Last edited:
Yes, we always check our luggage at the resort. For whatever reason magical express and using the RAC system is not connected. It won't matter, but if you're more comfortable with it, you could also put in the real flights and then after you check your luggage in the am, call magical express (the number is on the paperwork they give you the night before) and tell them your flight changed. At that point give them the fake flight number that fits with the times you want. They'll give you a new time and will tell you to have concierge print you off a new magical express itinerary. You'll go to front desk/concierge and have them print off your new ME paperwork which will have your new pick-up time. We've done it both ways and it works both ways.

Uber is only about $35 to the airport and they come right away when you want them. We always call for the Uber 2 hours before the flight and have plenty of time to get through security. I would not want to leave any more than 2 hrs before the flight. We never take the MDE to or from the airport as it wastes so much time.

I just book a later DME pick up. Here's how: pick a later domestic flight than yours & give them that flight number. I usually pick one 15-30 minutes later than mine. I'm trying to shave off a bit, not a ton. This way you have seat on a bus, you're picked up later but is totally planned.

Don't use this fictitious flight info when checking a bag with RAC they will easily switch over to actual flight & tag your bag.
This is a good hack. I've never tried it myself, but it makes a lot of sense. Honestly, I haven't used Magical Express to the airport in many years because of how early it forces you to leave. I understand certain people need more time at the airport and others feel more comfortable with more time at the airport. I completely respect that. But my family I simply do not. We're more than comfortable strolling up to the gate right before -- or even during -- boarding.

I'm sure there are going to people in this thread giving minute-by-minute breakdowns explaining why Magical Express leaves at the appropriate time and how leaving any later would put you in serious danger of missing your flight. My response to that is you know how long you need at the airport. So don't hesitate to leave for the airport later than Disney wants you to if that works better for you. Disney's primary concern is the fallout from guests missing their flights, so the company makes sure you get to the airport extremely early. it covers the company's butt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter