1 Day @ DL or DCA: Fantasmic or World of Color? Dining Package?

ECMD2018

Earning My Ears
It will be the culmination of our 1 day in the parks 2 things:
1. Which is your preference in terms of show, and why?
2. Trying to determine whether we'll get a dining package to enhance experience. If so, which would you recommend, why?

Variables: Likely to be an earlier show (we are on east coast time). We have 2 kids 15 and 8. Food matters, but also want to make sure viewing area is worth it.

As always, thank you in advance.

You are east-coasters on a one-day trip. Of the two, WOC is the most unique and beautiful, and not what you'll get at WDW. BUT, there is only table-service dining for the WOC show packages, so combining all the time needed to eat, queueing up early, get your viewing spot, waiting in position, and finally watching the show - you are killing a lot of park time to do a show. It's really poor time economics. So - no WOC.

Fantasmic has a similar show at WDW. Disneyland's version is awesome but again, early queueing, waiting, and the show is long, so it's another time-hog. Add in a 15-year old who may be BTDT about Fantasmic and would rather not wait around for another park's version. So - no Fantasmic.

My vote is neither for an east-coast family coming for one day. You'll get more done and have a blast doing the rides and park-hopping. You should also weigh the pros and cons with your kids and get their input into what is more important to them. Would they rather experience a show and sacrifice time for it, or would they rather miss the show and get more rides done?

Fantasmic is a very different show at Disneyland than it is at WDW, but you can't see World of Color anywhere else. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, in my opinion.

queueing up early, get your viewing spot, waiting in position, and finally watching the show
One quick note here: I recently did the Carthay Circle WOC dining package and showed up to the viewing area only 15 minutes before showtime and had a good spot with plenty of room. So, while OP would still have take time to do the TS meal, actually waiting for the show shouldn’t take that much time.

You are east-coasters on a one-day trip. Of the two, WOC is the most unique and beautiful, and not what you'll get at WDW. BUT, there is only table-service dining for the WOC show packages, so combining all the time needed to eat, queueing up early, get your viewing spot, waiting in position, and finally watching the show - you are killing a lot of park time to do a show. It's really poor time economics. So - no WOC.

Fantasmic has a similar show at WDW. Disneyland's version is awesome but again, early queueing, waiting, and the show is long, so it's another time-hog. Add in a 15-year old who may be BTDT about Fantasmic and would rather not wait around for another park's version. So - no Fantasmic.

My vote is neither for an east-coast family coming for one day. You'll get more done and have a blast doing the rides and park-hopping. You should also weigh the pros and cons with your kids and get their input into what is more important to them. Would they rather experience a show and sacrifice time for it, or would they rather miss the show and get more rides done?
Interesting about skipping. Had preconceived notion to do the shows. Daughter loves the shows. So park attractions/ride times much shorter at show times? Will have maxpass too.

Personally, I don't think the attraction wait times are really all that much shorter during the shows.

At WDW, do you prefer Rivers of Light or Fantasmic?

As others have said, WoC is a unique offering at DCA. It's kind of like RoL, in terms of relying on mist screens for image projection and color water jets for effects, but it's a much more dynamic show (I haven't seen the new RoL, so my comparison is with the old show). In that way WoC is a much better show, but the viewing area is awful unless you're fairly tall or willing to put in a fair amount of time to get a good spot (30 minutes at a minimum to over an hour). If you end up standing behind someone taller than you, you'll miss out on a fair amount of the show. I've had this problem in the Wine Country Trattoria Dining Package viewing area and the FP viewing area, so I would not recommend those for time saving (you still need to get there as soon as you're allowed into the viewing area).

F! in DL and DHS are very different shows. The basic premise of the show is the same (good versus evil), but that's about it. It's kind of like saying both resorts has a fireworks show or a parade. The basic type of entertainment is the same, but the individual show elements are different. DL's show is much better, but the viewing area is not as good. If you do opt to go see F!, I would do one of the two dining packages (Blue Bayou or River Belle Terrace). Those viewing area pretty front and center, but you still need to get there ahead of the show to get a good spot (probably about 30 minutes). Depending on the night, you can also opt to watch the fireworks from the F! viewing area. They use the mist screens for the projections. It's not a great view, but it's easier than trying to fight the crowds to get to Main Street.

Last time we went to DL we did both Woc dessert party and F- Blue bayou package. We loved the WOC dessert party the best and we're planning on doing it again next time we go! We loved that we could actually sit at a table with chairs and enjoy desserts and drinks and the show was Awesome! I would also probably do Fantasmic again, but sitting on a little cushion didn't make it much better, the meal at Blue Bayou was pretty good though. Good luck and Enjoy whichever one you choose!!pixiedust::goodvibes:thumbsup2

It will be the culmination of our 1 day in the parks 2 things:
1. Which is your preference in terms of show, and why?
2. Trying to determine whether we'll get a dining package to enhance experience. If so, which would you recommend, why?

Variables: Likely to be an earlier show (we are on east coast time). We have 2 kids 15 and 8. Food matters, but also want to make sure viewing area is worth it.

As always, thank you in advance.
Which show you choose is really up to your preference and taste. Look on YouTube for videos of WOC and F! (Make sure you are looking at videos from DLR, not WDW.) See which show appeals to you and your family more. We love both shows, but would give WOC the edge for being unique to DCA/DLR. If F! is a favorite with your family, DL's version usually wins with WDW vets for being the better show. (WDW wins for having better seating.)
For WOC, look at the menus for CCR and WCT to see which is a better fit for your family. The Dining Package menus are pretty similar to the regular menus, so if you like the regular menu items, you'll probably like the package menus, too. For some people, having a full meal for the price paid for the package is a big deal. The WCT reserved area is closer to the water and the CCR area is further back (but you can request to go to the WCT area -- CMs should allow it, but YMMV). The WOC Dessert Party is the only Dining Package that provides actual chairs. You get a generous dessert plate, a bread basket, and 2 beverages. We've had very good viewing with all the Dining Packages -- it's up to your preference for food, your preference for a chair or for standing with a closer view, and your preference for time invested waiting for a good viewing spot.
For F! Dining Packages, all the reserved areas up front (HB, BB, RBT) have good-to-great viewing right up at the waterfront, so look at the menus to see which appeals most. HB is the most economical (and you can order off the regular menu, too, but will still pay the package price). BB's package comes with a souvenir cushion to sit on. All areas are ground seating. There is a premium package at RBT (first show only, reserve by phone) which includes dinner on the RBT patio while watching the show, but the view isn't as good from there as it is from the other package areas. Trade off: the premium package does have chairs. Our favorite F! package is BB, but we like HB and RBT (non-premium), too.
You will enjoy both shows, so look at the videos to get a taste of both, look over the package menus, then make your choice!

Fantasmic, IMO, is the best overall show. It has elements of all other types (basic fireworks, water/mist projection, live action, characters), and a cool storyline. It is also a lot better than the WDW version.
However, if you have seen Fantasmic at WDW, that degrades this choice slightly.
The main disadvantage is there is no seating on a real chair option (unless you go VIP tour), and as well, during non peak times, there may not be a show during the weekdays, only the weekends. If you don't mind sitting on the ground and waiting for an hour or so in order to get a good spot, then this should be the best option. If you only arrive about 15 minutes before, and have a dinner package, you can still get in, but possibly not have great view, depending on others.

WOC is a close second for me, mainly due to the Dessert Party option. Dessert party is expensive, but there is nothing like being able to sit down on a real chair and enjoy the show after a long day at the park. The water/mist projection is great, and blew my mind the first time I saw it in person.

Here is breakdown:

Fantasmic:
Dining packages (all 3): Give you seating on the ground. Blue Bayou gives you a cushion that you can sit on, to make it easier. Blue bayou has most center view. Note, if very busy, it is possible that CM will ask you to stand, but this is very very rare (I have never seen it).
Fastpass: Standing room only in reserved fastpass area. Can be chaotic.

WOC:
Dining packages (all 2): Gives you reserved standing room only.
Dessert Party: Sitting on real chair
Fastpass: Standing room area in reserved area for fastpass. Note that the "best" place to stand here can get you wet during the show.

In all above cases, if you want best location, you should arrive around 1 hour early. If park is crowded, try to get there even earlier.
Dessert party is probably one that you can arrive later if needed, since you are guaranteed a seat, and most (but not all) give you great view.

WOC Dessert Party. That probably allows you to maximize your time the most and usually always provides great views of WOC. The food is good, it's relaxing being able to sit down, and you don't have to show up an hour in advance if you don't want to.

Which show you choose is really up to your preference and taste. Look on YouTube for videos of WOC and F! (Make sure you are looking at videos from DLR, not WDW.) See which show appeals to you and your family more. We love both shows, but would give WOC the edge for being unique to DCA/DLR. If F! is a favorite with your family, DL's version usually wins with WDW vets for being the better show. (WDW wins for having better seating.)
For WOC, look at the menus for CCR and WCT to see which is a better fit for your family. The Dining Package menus are pretty similar to the regular menus, so if you like the regular menu items, you'll probably like the package menus, too. For some people, having a full meal for the price paid for the package is a big deal. The WCT reserved area is closer to the water and the CCR area is further back (but you can request to go to the WCT area -- CMs should allow it, but YMMV). The WOC Dessert Party is the only Dining Package that provides actual chairs. You get a generous dessert plate, a bread basket, and 2 beverages. We've had very good viewing with all the Dining Packages -- it's up to your preference for food, your preference for a chair or for standing with a closer view, and your preference for time invested waiting for a good viewing spot.
For F! Dining Packages, all the reserved areas up front (HB, BB, RBT) have good-to-great viewing right up at the waterfront, so look at the menus to see which appeals most. HB is the most economical (and you can order off the regular menu, too, but will still pay the package price). BB's package comes with a souvenir cushion to sit on. All areas are ground seating. There is a premium package at RBT (first show only, reserve by phone) which includes dinner on the RBT patio while watching the show, but the view isn't as good from there as it is from the other package areas. Trade off: the premium package does have chairs. Our favorite F! package is BB, but we like HB and RBT (non-premium), too.
You will enjoy both shows, so look at the videos to get a taste of both, look over the package menus, then make your choice!
Thanks --- and for WOC dessert package, no difference in price between adults and children, right?

Just say no to Dining Program at Disneyland, its a voucher system last I knew and not worth it like at Disney World. Just be sure and make your dining reservations and pay cash at Disneyland. Also personally I always do Park Hopper at Disneyland as the two parks are 100 yards apart, unlike World where you have to get a bus to the other parks.

Just say no to Dining Program at Disneyland, its a voucher system last I knew and not worth it like at Disney World. Just be sure and make your dining reservations and pay cash at Disneyland...
DLR doesn't have an official dining plan and hasn't had one for a while. People who want something similar to WDW's plan usually use Disney gift cards to budget and pay for meals at DLR. (For non-Disney restaurants on and off site, people use gift cards for specific restaurants and chain companies.)

Thanks --- and for WOC dessert package, no difference in price between adults and children, right?
According to the DLR website, there is only one price listed for all ages:

World of Color Dessert Package Pricing:
  • $79 includes tax and gratuity; $84 (beginning July 9, 2019) includes tax and gratuity

Both WOC and Fantasmic will mean a late night. If you think there is a possibility your kids won’t make it that long don’t book a dining package or WOC dessert party because you can’t cancel and it’s not refundable. If you’re totally committed to staying up I’d probably vote for WOC dessert party for the show and seats. WOC dining package is for a standing section and you will be tired after all day on your feet.

Last edited:
I’d do the Hungry Bear F! dining package and then stay in that spot and watch the fireworks.

It gives you a two-for-one spot for both F! and fireworks, is the least expensive option, and also the lowest time investment in terms of the time to eat the dining package food. I wouldn’t take the time out of a one-day trip to do any of the table service dining options for any show. The HB package is to-go, so you can take it and eat anywhere (we often grab it before a show or parade or something).

Note that you can eat off of the regular menu (for the dining package price).

If not that, then I’d do WOC dessert party.

I personally think Fantasmic! is the better show. WOC is kinda neat, but doesn't captivate me in quite the same way that F! does. I think having actual characters in the show really helps. I think it's an amazing show, evidenced by it lasting almost 30 years now, with no sign of it being replaced. I have seen it several times, from the time I was 6 years old up to 33, and I am still in awe every time. I never miss it on a DLR trip. However, I frequently skip WOC.

If you had more time I would suggest a Blue Bayou dining package, but with only one day I don't think you should waste any time on table service restaurants. Instead, I recommend the Hungry Bear package, which provides to-go meals. This will get you entrance to the seated viewing area of F!. In my opinion, being seated during the show is crucial. This is possibly another reason I don't enjoy WOC as much - the dining packages don't offer seating, only the dessert package does, which I cannot justify for my family that would barely eat the desserts. I am on the shorter side, and really stress about not being able to see properly when standing, which usually ends up happening. When in the seated sections for F!, even if you show up later you can get a good view.

I would do the blue bayou fantasmic package and book the first lunch time available at 11:30 and request a waterside table. It’s a “three for one” essentially because you get to dine inside pirates, watch fantasmic, AND stay there for fireworks immediately after. We loved doing that when we went in April. We had front row seats by the railing by getting there an hour early. But I feel like the view is better when you sit further back so the rail isn’t right in your face. And you wouldn’t have to get there early for those spots. They also give you a seat cushion that is a fun little souvenir with a fantasmic design on it.

With that being said, we also really LOVE world of color so it’s not an easy pick by any means. I just think in the end, you get more bang for your buck with the fantasmic packages.

I love both shows so I agree with watching some YouTube videos to see which appeals to you more.

If it's F!- do the Hungry Bear dining package. Less time invested in a meal and staking out a viewing spot if you already only have 1 day at the parks (unless you are already planning to dine at Blue Bayou in which case do the F! dining package there. I would not bother with the River Belle F! dining package). Definitely do the first show and stay for fireworks as previously mentioned.
If it's WoC- do the Dessert Party. Best viewing with minimal time staking out a spot. Its pricey but we love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter