11/30 Magic cruise - upgrades

TChrist05

DIS Veteran
Hello all....going on the 7 day Magic cruise on 11/30 Eastern swing...and my question is this....has anyone ever been upgraded by Disney when they got to the ship for any reason....this will be our 3rd cruise...two years ago we did the land and sea package...and found 3 days was not enough...did the 7 last year and was a little more understanding of the cruise scene...when we arrived last year we asked if an upgrade was possible....and it sure was...for $600.00 more on the spot...sooo...we had a nice...no fabulous time with our origional cabin....we booked our cruise for this year before we left the ship and moved up to a category 8...no verandah but we do have a porthole....called DCL yesterday to see if we could move up to a category 6 and pay the difference....all category 6 are sold out but category 5 was available but the upgrade would be $800.00 additional...so we will have a great time in our origional cabin again....but I am curious if anyone out there has ever gotten an upgrade...cause some people we have met in Disney World have stated that Disney upgrades all the time...not as much as the other cruise lines but they do....Anyone out there know for sure?
Thanks!
Tom

Only 39 days to the Magic!

There are no free upgrades at the port, as you have discovered....you have to pay if requesting an upgrade at the port. If DCL gives an upgrade, they do so in advance, and it's not done on request. :) Updgrades are rare (more common on the Wonder than the Magic) and they usually upgrade when there is demand for lower cabin categories and room in upper categories.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Ive been doing some playing around with "our" cruise date and it seems like a packed ship! Id love to have an upgrade to a verandah but consider myself very lucky to have a secret porthole room - 5520! First cruise for DS10 and DH - first weeklong for me.
See ya in 39 days!!

Hey Barb....yup...it was pretty full last year the Saturday after Thanksgiving and the surprising thing for me was how many people took there kids out of school and not only for the cruise but for 3 or 4 days before the cruise or after to go to Disney World also. My wife and I will be spending 5 nights in POR...and I did try to change the resort to a vacation club villa by purchasing someone's points...nothing available so I do believe Disney will be more crowded than normal also....Yes...39 days to go....and how many DIS's will be on the cruise...identify yourself and I will have to find(or the wife) so line green ribbon and attach it to my New York Yankees World Championship hat.....talk to you all soon!
Tom

Tom-

We will be there too but I definitely don't know about the lime green ribbon...sounds like maybe we can come up with another plan.....

Lori

Howdy...I gotta tell ya....another plan would be great...lime green is not my favorite color...buy all the Dis people should get together...even if it is in the bar one night for some of the entertainment....quite honestly...I am looking foward to the "welcome aboard" buffet...with the super duper shrimp....I can almost taste them now....and the good thing is all the food is paid for already......Talk to all soon!
Tom:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :earsboy: :sunny: :smooth:

Lori,
Whats the matter.............not a fan of kermit the frog??
Johnny would think I'm cracking up with the lime green....but then that's to be expected! Maybe I will see you on the flight ! Laurie:jester:

DS & I (and hopefully DH too) will be easy to spot - we're wearing orange Tigger t-shirts to embark! Im planning on having DH drop us at port w/the luggage then go back and drop off the Avis car. It will be easier for him (and DISers) to spot us when he returns if we are in our orange shirts. And thanks to Jody we have plaid lime green ribbon too!

BUT hardly ANYONE gets one. I spent our first two cruises waiting and hoping to be upgraded. I thought for sure we would (both were special occasions, we had booked a year in advance etc etc) Finally I realized it will not happen- your chances of winning the lottery are probably better (well maybe not mine since I don't play the lotteryat all ) It is far better to forget about the whole upgrade thing then you will not be dissapointed and will enjoy the cabin you can afford instead of wishing for what "might have been". On the magic it seems that upgrades are VERY few and far between with no rhyme or reason behind them, it is more common on the wonder but even then it is very rare! Enjoy your trip and forget about upgrades you will have a lot more fun!

I haven't bought the lime green ribbons yet, should I? I know that we will be doing the ressie shuffle when we get on, and we will want to get to the buffet. Then, lifeboat drill, sailaway, and early seating. It will probably be difficult to meet on the first evening? I was hoping that I could spot some of you at the port, while we are in line (with the ribbons?). Then, maybe we could plan another meeting some other time in the first day or so.
What do you guys think?

Hey guys...it sounds good to me...and I have to admit to you all...I will be turning the big 50 on the cruise....and I thought I would be stressed out by it...cause 40 was a real trip....so on Monday....December 2nd...I turn 50...and I could not be in a better place...the Magic.....
Tom
38 days to go....they keep flying by...:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Im hoping to be at the terminal by 1030am w/our bright orange Tigger t-shirts.

Can we plan a meet at the Radisson Fri afternoon/night? How would you feel about leaving your names at the desk that you have arrived? After all we know each others room numbers onboard ship, that way we could call our rooms and plan to meet? I know there are a few of us staying there Fri night.

Im turning 45 on the 13th - 2 wks before we leave for the Magic! How are you going to celebrate Tom? Did you tell DCL? And youre birthday is a sea day so you can relax (drink)

Hey Tom,
My son is turning 4 on 11/30. So your not the only birthday baby!
Maybe we can all meet for a drink some night. Thats if the kiddos work with us and go to the clubs! We will think of something!
Laurie

Hey guys now we have a few things to celebrate! My husband had his 40th in the summer, so we can celebrate that too! Of course, I am not even close to that old... lol (36)!
Barb, we are not at the Radisson, so we won't be able to join you. I think we should make an effort to meet at the port and then set something else up. I agree with Laurie, that we will have to cross our fingers that the kids cooperate and let us meet.
I know that I want to meet Matthew at the port, so that he and Cameron will know each other at the club. Maybe we can arrange something Laurie?

Sounds great!,
I know what I am going to be wearing I think! Do you think we would be able to spot each other in the big crowd? Are you taking Disney transfers or a car? If you come in on the bus there will be a sea of people. We could pick a spot maybe? Or I will be the one screaming at my kid, ONLY KIDDING!!!!!L

We are renting an Avis car. Once I know what I am wearing, I will let you know. Cameron will probably have his red "Roots Canada" olympic baseball hat on. He loves to wear it.
Linda

Do you think we will be able to spot each other? Maybe we can meet near the model ship or somethhing. I think if we get M&C together before we board if they see each other in the club they will want to stay. Matt makes friends really easy....he calls them his "guys". So I will be hearing all week "I have to go hang with my guys mum" I HOPE!!!! He can't understand why his neighborhood friends can't come! AHHHH to be young..............
OH YEAH YOU ARE!!!!!! I have a whole year on ya!!!!!:jester:

DS is turning 10.5 on Nov 15th - lol
So I wont need to worry about where he'll be if he doesnt want to be in the Lab at the time we meet for a drink. He can be in the movies, room, Lab. Heck, Im figuring I'm on my own on the sea days anyways.
5 wks from today we head out
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Hello all...I did not let DCL know that my birthday is being celebrated on the ship...but I am sure my wife will let them know....admittedly...50 is not a happy one...you kind of start to feel a little vulnerable....but there is no better place than to celebrate on the Magic....so I will enjoy the day cause of where I am....and will rebook before I get off the ship so 51 is on the Magic also....so let's get a plan for meeting...cause I really want to say hello and maybe have a drink with you guys....you guys make the plan and i will follow.....
Tom
37 days to Magic

Those that booked excursions - what did you book? We booked See & Sea on St Marten (DS wants to go in the sub) and we're planning on Coral World (most likely on our own).
I believe some of us have main dining, others late. Some little kids, some older.
We're not all planning on arriving at port at the same time.
Um ideas anyone? by the windows since most will be by the ship? out on the balcony looking at my SPR window? lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter