1st time F&W, MNSSHP, Africa Trek & no kids! (Updated 5/11/14)

You totally had me :rotfl2: with your harness comment! Oh that poor cm!!
Proof positive that I provide comic relief to the CM's during an otherwise dull and drab day!!! :cool1:

The trek looks like an amazing tour. I am considering it for the fall, but I have been told it can be a bit warm. Did you find it to be?
It just so happened that a cold front moved through the night before and it was actually a bit cool early that morning which might have had a lot to do with seeing so many animals. Why couldn't it have done that when we were in MK for MNSSHP? We were there in October so it might be 90's in the day or 50's. :confused3 Either way, try to get the earliest time you can if for no other reason in that is when they normally feed the animals.

It just so happened that a cold front moved through the night before and it was actually a bit cool early that morning which might have had a lot to do with seeing so many animals. Why couldn't it have done that when we were in MK for MNSSHP? We were there in October so it might be 90's in the day or 50's. :confused3 Either way, try to get the earliest time you can if for no other reason in that is when they normally feed the animals.

Thanks for the tip on the earlier time slot! :thumbsup2

Love the tour update. I showed my kids the bridge photos and they said "NO WAY":scared1: guess I'll save my money (for now) and not book it for our fall trip.

Just found your TR this morning and am enjoying it so much. It's nice to be able to read a TR with people our age going without kids. We just took our 1st trip without the kids in October. Actually, I think we were there at the end of your week. We were there 10/24 to 10/27. We did MNSSHP on 10/25. We did dress up. I wore a blue Belle outfit and DH wore a tee shirt that said "Beast":laughing:

We stayed at AKV. We tried to get BCV but they were sold out during our time. My goal is to stay there because we love Epcot. The Wild Trek Africa looks like fun!

This tour is so high on my bucket list! It actually tops anything at WDW! I just have to fit that cost into my budget! :headache: It looks so amazing!

Just found your TR this morning and am enjoying it so much. It's nice to be able to read a TR with people our age going without kids. We just took our 1st trip without the kids in October.
So glad you joined us on this trip and that you are enjoying my ramblings. There's nothing better than taking kids and seeing their faces regardless of their age but going without kids rates a close second! Ours are now 29, 29 and 26 with the 1st 29 and the 26 married. They still want to go with us when we go to WDW. We were planning on going in June & October this year with 2 of the 3 "kids" and their wives deciding to join us on the June trip. One couple had to cancel on the June trip but have been added to the October trip instead! Maybe we need to not mention when we're going next time? :rolleyes1

Actually, I think we were there at the end of your week. We were there 10/24 to 10/27. We did MNSSHP on 10/25. We did dress up. I wore a blue Belle outfit and DH wore a tee shirt that said "Beast":laughing:
We did MNSSHP on Tuesday, 10/22 and left WDW Sunday 10/27. I don't know why we didn't see you there! :lmao: BTW, I started reading your 2012 TR and remembered it from when you were writing it. Okay now, where's the TR from your October, 2013 trip??? :thumbsup2

We stayed at AKV. We tried to get BCV but they were sold out during our time. My goal is to stay there because we love Epcot. The Wild Trek Africa looks like fun!
We stayed at AKV during our Christmas 2010 trip and really loved it. Heck...we've loved EVERY DVC resort we've been to. At one time we had small DVC contracts at 4 different resorts but decided it was best to consolidate our points to just 2....until that dreaded "addonitis" disease hits again for Grand Floridian or the Poly!! :scared1:

This tour is so high on my bucket list! It actually tops anything at WDW! I just have to fit that cost into my budget! :headache: It looks so amazing!
Even though we tried not to, we went into this tour with high expectations and it did not disappoint. I know you would like it and I think Keith would as well.

Time for another TR update...I have to finish this one before we take off on our June trip!! :cool1:

After a great time on the Wild Africa Trek, we meandered over to our next FP at Expedition Everest. Along the way we had to take a few pics and use the PP some more.

I LOVE this ride. I only wish it lasted longer

This is where we are heading

A couple more PP pics

I think we got our signals crossed on which face we were going to show on this ride….woohoo :cool1: or scared :scared1:?

A side note here. When we returned home and were looking at our PP pics online, we noticed that the Everest ride pic and the posed pics in front of Mt Everest were not included. This was our first time to use PP so after every ride pic, I made sure I got a receipt for the pic that was added to our PP account. I sent an email to Disney and told them we were missing the ride pic, gave them the receipt number and also told them we were missing the other Mt. Everest pics. Within 24 hours, I received a response that the pics had been added to our online account. You can’t get a receipt from the pics made by the PP photographers but it’s worth it to keep a note of what pics were taken, where, who was in it and even better, what you were wearing. Disney can then search their archives and find your pics. It might seem like an inconvenience but I’d hate to lose those pics you paid for and were looking forward to having forever.

The fact that they found our pics so quickly makes me wonder if Disney taught the NSA/CIA a thing or two? Wait...I retract that comment...I meant to say the SPCA or AAA or some other acronym that want get me audited!!! :eek:

(Continued in next post)

(Continued from previous post)

Back to the TR. After EE, we had some time to kill before our next FP at FOTLK. We were trying to decide about Kali River Rapids but we didn’t really want to be wet for FOTLK. No problem, let's go to Flights of Wonder and scratch something else off our bucket list. It’s a nice 25 minute entertaining act that showcases some of the trained birds at AK. I am still learning how to use this camera and I need a MUCH faster lens so there are no pics of the birds in flight but here are a few from the show. First is the warm-up act out front of the theater

This was pretty neat in that they did get some of the people waiting involved in the act. Next up, we go inside for the main show. Our hostess

And the wayward tour guide, Guano Joe

A sassy bird has a few words with our host

And an owl decides to fly over the crowd.

No, it wasn’t Harry Potter’s Hedwig but I wish it could’ve kept the person in front of me from popping up when I took a picture! A couple of brave volunteers

Guano Joe admits he is scared of birds

Spoiler alert! Skip over this next pic if you haven’t seen this show.
Guano Joe gets over his fear of birds

I think he paraphrased Sally Field at the Oscar’s saying, “He likes me!”
The main bird at the show IMO

After the show, you could approach the stage and see some of the participants up close

I know they say animals and their owners often look alike but I thought that was only with dogs!!

(Continued in next post 2)

(Continued from previous post 2)

Next up for us was FOTLK. DW and I have not seen this in many years. As most of you know, the show closed shortly after we were there to make room for construction of the Avatar exhibits and rides. They are building a totally new facility to house FOTLK in a different location and it was recently announced that it should open June 7th!

I counted how many pictures I took at FOTLK and it was 231! Don’t worry, I won’t show them all but here are a few anyway

In case you can’t guess, our section was warthogs

Now on with the show!

The tumblers

Da King watching

More tumblin' but off the ground!

(Continued in next post 3)

(Continued from previous post 3)

Now is this a lighting effect or how they swing so fast? :lmao:

People shouldn’t play with matches

I guess this is one way to get rid of bad breath

Now for a different kind of flight of wonder

(Continued in next post 4)

(Continued from previous post 4)

They sure can sing and tell a story

The Timon Tumblers are back

The Big Finish

(Continued in next post 5)

(Continued from previous post 5)

Their version of the macarena?

I know…I know…too many pics…but I posted less than 14% of the total taken!

(Continued in next post 6)

(Continued from previous post 6)

Back outside again. This "Hedwig wanna be" fella gets around

Up next is another item on our bucket list…board the Wildlife Express Train to Rafiki’s Planet Watch
All aboard!

Very few pics taken but there is a petting area, a bunch of exhibits and reptiles behind glass

(Continued in next post 7)

(Continued from previous post 7)

By this time, it is getting close to our ADR at Tusker House.

For those that have not been here, it is a pretty extensive buffet with a fair amount to offer.

Some of the offerings we tried

As for grading the meal, first let me say that I prefer to order from a menu than a buffet. With that said, it was a decent buffet with lots of options for kids and adults alike. I believe there is a character breakfast and lunch too.

The grade –

C+ Okay food but probably will not go to again, partly because it was a buffet and partly because I would just as soon had Flaming Tree BBQ and saved a few $’s. Nevertheless, it was something else we could cross off our bucket list. BTW, while you are waiting to be seated, there is a small bar that serves adult beverages. Perhaps I should have imbibed in an adult beverage?

It was still fairly early. The park didn’t close until 6 but we were ready to get back to our room. We never used our third FP, never made it to Kali River Rapids and we ended up giving away our CM FP’s to a random couple we passed as we were walking out. That is one of the things I will miss with the paperless/magic band FP’s, you aren’t able to pass on a little pixie dust to someone else by giving someone unused FP’s….especially ones that were earned by my selfless sacrifice for CM entertainment!

Tomorrow it’s all about F&W with an ADR at Yachtman’s Steakhouse!

Your photo pass picture of the two of you on EE is absolutely hilarious!

I am glad your pp pics that had been lost were found. I kinda feel like you were pretty lucky in that.

I was so sad that I missed my fp+ reservation for FOTLK when I then found I would not be able to see the show in January. I am so happy to hear they are reopening in time for my next trip. :woohoo:

You pictures of both shows are great!

I know that buffets are not for everyone. In fact, I mostly prefer sit down to a buffet. However, in Disney there is always one I have to go to and that is TH. I usually try to go for breakfast though. (not for the characters though... that is just a bonus) I have found that lunch or dinner doesn't appeal to me quite as much. Not sure why breakfast does :confused: Maybe because I feel Boma is just better for dinner? I don't know....

(Continued from previous post 6)

Back outside again. This "Hedwig wanna be" fella gets around

)
This owl is so cool! Wow!

Your eyes look like they are seriously going to pop out of your head on EE. too funny! :rotfl2:

I enjoy the Flights of Wonder show. I had the same host the last time I saw it. Unfortunately, I don't think people who are really afraid of birds get over that fear as quickly as Joe did. :rotfl: People that are afraid of birds are usually terrified.

Great pics from FOTLK. I love the fire eating picture. Yup - that looks safe. :scratching

Denny and I ate at TH in March. We had really enjoyed it a few years back, but it was really quite expensive, even with the TIW discount. The unfortunate thing was I really wasn't even that hungry so I didn't like I normally would. Buffets don't bother me, but I probably won't go back for awhile either. Just too rushed and noisy and ....

Great update!

Just caught up on the trip report! I can't believe some of the comments you have made to CM's! :rotfl2: I'm sure that won't be something they forget any time soon. You got so many great shots on your Wild Africa Trek Tour. I would love to do it someday and I know my DH would too. But it's very pricey! Maybe one day.

Phew....finally found five minutes at work to breathe and hustled right to your update.

LOVE the EE ride pictures...those are awesome. :thumbsup2

I lost several pictures last year as well. Thankfully, I had my own photos so I knew what I was wearing and a pretty good idea of the time we were getting the photos taken. Disney was great in trying to find them...and they did find most of them.

We've never done the bird show. Maybe in September.

Of course, Festival of the Lion King reopens the day AFTER I leave.

Great pictures from the show. Love those tumbling monkeys.

I only do breakfast buffets at Disney now (Tusker House and Crystal Palace); I just find the other meals to be "eh."

Oooh...Yachtsman...my new favorite signature restaurant.

I did my last day at the park on my PTR.

I am going to do a RECAP next week sometime with exactly where we are what day so that we can arrange a meet up. :goodvibes

How exciting that your trip is in a little over a month! I am leaving May 18th. I had no idea FOTLK was going to open so soon. I wonder if they would ever do a soft opening for a show? Hope to find out soon! I've never seen it, but your pictures have intrigued me...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter