1st time F&W, MNSSHP, Africa Trek & no kids! (Updated 5/11/14)

Continued from previous post 9)

Our CM guides made it across as well

After a short walk and an encounter with another critter

We board our private safari truck and head to the savanna. Here is what we were able to see

The baby

(Continued in next post 10)

(Continued from previous post 10)

The big guys

This one is missing a tusk

This one is hungry

And a baby here too

Yes mom...I'll eat all my greens

Maybe she won't see me hiding over here. Can I hitch a ride with you guys?

We pass these guys en route to our dining spot

(Continued in next post 11)

(Continued from previous post 11)

Once we disembark from our safari truck, the view while waiting for the meal is fantastic

I tried a panorama shot

(Continued in next post 12)

(Continued from previous post 12)

There’s also a walkway to another observation deck to see these guys

We were starving by now and I didn’t think to get a picture of the meal they served. It consisted of cold cuts, nuts, fruits, etc in a multi-tiered contraption that reminded me of a WWII mess kit. Whatever it was, it kept the food fresh and cool and the meal was quite tasty even though I had no idea what most of it was! I did get a pic of a very nice couple from Kentucky that we dined with

And our pics

(Continued in next post 13)

(Continued from previous post 13)

BTW, the flower in the previous pic was part of the meal and it is edible. Need you ask if I ate mine?! Once we finished eating, we loaded back up and hit the savanna again

What is that up against the fence way off under the trees?

These guys

Didn’t I see this guy in a movie?

(Continued in next post 14)

(Continued from previous post 14)

Hey fella, move out of the way!

Did you know those eggs are fake? And more

Where is the big guy? Is that him? He doesn’t seem to want to cooperate.

There he is!

That was a great way to end the Wild Africa Trek. We made our way back to the station. The CM’s helped us de-harness and no inappropriate comments were made to the delight of DW….and probably a CM or two. While we were getting our items out of the locker, CM guide Laura gave us two special FastPass tickets for any ride in Animal Kingdom. She said it was because we had to wait for something. I have no idea what we waited for but I thought it was a nice gesture. I really think it was to appease me for the “harness incident” earlier or maybe she just felt sorry for DW? Little did she know, for me, it was one of the highlights of the tour!!

If you’ve never been on the Wild Africa Trek, then you must go if the budget allows. It is a bit pricey but what at WDW isn’t? DW and I have been on several tours now and each have been very enjoyable. Wild Africa Trek is definitely one of the best!

Next up, rides, pics, more animals, food and you took HOW MANY pictures at FOTLK?!?!

Your pictures of the Wild Africa Trek look absolutely amazing. It's definitely something I would like to try in the future.:)

Just wondering? We went on this Trek the first month they started in 2011 and we never were really close to the animals we had to use binoculars in the jeep and at the Boma, do you have a really good camera or have they changed some things?

Just wondering? We went on this Trek the first month they started in 2011 and we never were really close to the animals we had to use binoculars in the jeep and at the Boma, do you have a really good camera or have they changed some things?

I'm wondering the same thing as above. We are doing this for the first time in June. How many pictures does the CM take? Did you ask them to take specific pictures or do they just take what they want? Was there water in the bottles? I know it's going to be hot when we go and I just want to make sure we have plenty of water.

Oh wow. That looks absolutely incredible. I want to do that so badly!!! I did the Backstage Safari tour a couple years ago and that was really cool too, but I think I'd like this even more.

Thanks for sharing!!!

First, to your question, about two meets. We are at Disney September 19 - 26 and then go to Marco Island until October 5 so those dates don't work. But I definitely want to set something up next month.

You had me :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: You sound just like my husband as he would be doing/saying the same smartalleck things you did as you got your harness on. I'm sorry you won't meet him as I am sure you two would hit it off immediately.

I thoroughly enjoyed this update. I've always wanted to do this tour but we have held off. Now that I've showed Mark the pictures of your harness and being tethered he is more comfortable with it. I think we will definitely do it in 2016 (we are skipping DW in 2015 as we are planning on going to DL in 2015); this gives Mark a little extra time to lose the weight he wants to lose and I think he'll be more comfortable too. Do you ride in different kinds of vehicles for the safari part than the normal safari ride vehicles?

You got awesome photos during your trek.

Thanks for sharing...I really enjoyed this update.

Your pictures of the Wild Africa Trek look absolutely amazing. It's definitely something I would like to try in the future.:)
Thanks for the compliment. We really enjoyed it but I would definitely recommend the earliest tour possible, especially in the warmer months. The animals are fed early and don't move around as much in the hot afternoons.

They had binoculars in the safari truck just in case but we didn't need them. I was using a 50mm lens (not a zoom). About half the pics shown were taken by the CM guides and they had a zoom lens and a better camera. Maybe we were just lucky but it worked out well for us.

I'm wondering the same thing as above. We are doing this for the first time in June. How many pictures does the CM take? Did you ask them to take specific pictures or do they just take what they want? Was there water in the bottles? I know it's going to be hot when we go and I just want to make sure we have plenty of water.
I kept 89 pics taken by the CM. I don't remember how many were available online but there were lots of pics of the other members of our group that I did not keep...a LOT of the children that were there. You could ask for specific pics but I don't believe anyone did. They were very good about getting candid and posed shots of all the group. Yes, there was water in the bottle and it kept it very cool. There were a couple of places to refill and then at the observation spot where we ate, they had water and juice.

Oh wow. That looks absolutely incredible. I want to do that so badly!!! I did the Backstage Safari tour a couple years ago and that was really cool too, but I think I'd like this even more.

Thanks for sharing!!!
You're very welcome! It was one of those things that you need to do at least once because it really is fun. We weren't rushed at all and had plenty of time to ask questions. The driver would slow down when photo-ops popped up too.

First, to your question, about two meets. We are at Disney September 19 - 26 and then go to Marco Island until October 5 so those dates don't work. But I definitely want to set something up next month.
We will definitely have to set something up even if it's just a hi-take a pic-bye meet! :rotfl:

You had me :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: You sound just like my husband as he would be doing/saying the same smartalleck things you did as you got your harness on. I'm sorry you won't meet him as I am sure you two would hit it off immediately.
I'm sure he wouldn't admit to being a smartalleck either. We prefer to say we take advantage of opportune times to practice the art of jocularity! :rotfl2:

I thoroughly enjoyed this update. I've always wanted to do this tour but we have held off. Now that I've showed Mark the pictures of your harness and being tethered he is more comfortable with it. I think we will definitely do it in 2016 (we are skipping DW in 2015 as we are planning on going to DL in 2015); this gives Mark a little extra time to lose the weight he wants to lose and I think he'll be more comfortable too. Do you ride in different kinds of vehicles for the safari part than the normal safari ride vehicles?

You got awesome photos during your trek.

Thanks for sharing...I really enjoyed this update.
Thanks for the kind words. Tell Mark he needs to go on this tour! It is definitely worth it. The safari truck is smaller than the Kilimanjaro Safari trucks. Instead of bench seats they have seats around the perimeter of the bed that you sit in. Since the groups are purposely kept small, you have great vision all around to see everything.

You have got to start putting something on your TR title so I know when you've updated! I keep showing up late.

I love that picture of the lions. The big guy looks just like my cats when they sleep. He looks so innocent. Yeah right! :faint:

Isn't the trek great? You got wonderful pictures not he bridges. Nice shots. You look so serious in your first picture on the bridge. :rotfl2: Way too serious!

I think watching the hippos eat was one of my favorite highlights of the entire trek. So cool.

One of my good friend's niece is a tour guide on the trek, but you didn't have her. Too bad.

Your group wasn't too enthusiastic with the claw shoot and look at you trying to claw Grace thinking she couldn't see you. :scratchin

AMAZING PICS!!! I felt like I was there with you guys.

By the way, I am pretty sure that ostrich was giving you the stink eye.

You have got to start putting something on your TR title so I know when you've updated! I keep showing up late.
That's a good idea!

I love that picture of the lions. The big guy looks just like my cats when they sleep. He looks so innocent. Yeah right! :faint:
Definitely an example of letting sleeping dogs (in this case cats) lie...he can stay looking innocent. I'M not waking him up! :scared1:

Isn't the trek great?
If truth be told, we decided to book this tour after reading about it in your TR! It was fantastic so thanks MEK!! :thumbsup2

You got wonderful pictures not he bridges. Nice shots. You look so serious in your first picture on the bridge. :rotfl2: Way too serious!
Again, if truth be told, it's easy to take decent pics when the subjects are so great. Did you notice that some of those slats on that suspension bridge were quite a ways apart? Even with my long legs there were a couple of places that were a pretty large step. I know you couldn't fall through with the net underneath and the harness but the serious face was thinking what would happen to me....er.....DOWN THERE if one slipped and the harness was put to use! :sad2:

I think watching the hippos eat was one of my favorite highlights of the entire trek. So cool.
Ditto... best to go on one of the early tours for feeding time.

One of my good friend's niece is a tour guide on the trek, but you didn't have her. Too bad.
Lucky girl...she didn't have to put up with me!

Your group wasn't too enthusiastic with the claw shoot and look at you trying to claw Grace thinking she couldn't see you. :scratchin
Now you know I would NEVER do that (or at least admit to doing it)!!! :rolleyes:

AMAZING PICS!!! I felt like I was there with you guys.
So glad you liked the update.

By the way, I am pretty sure that ostrich was giving you the stink eye.
I think she had been given a heads up about me and was forewarned to be on the lookout! :rotfl2:

I just stumbled across your TR, and I think it's crazy that you're from Petal! My Mammaw grew up in Moselle and has lived there on and off for most of my life, and of course no one every knows where that is...so I always say "SOUTHERN Mississippi."

anyways...now I'll go back and read about your trip...I think the Wild Africa Trek would be awesome, but DH is afraid of heights....

GREAT update!!! I have seen very few reviews of the Wild Africa Tour, so I really appreciated reading about this.

Do you know the age limit for this? I saw the young kids in the picture- they look younger than 16, so my kids might be eligible.

Then DW said something I hear quite often, “Just keep it up.”

Now, seriously, was that an appropriate response in this situation?

:rotfl2:

That is a cute group picture.

WOW! Amazing hippo shots! I love the close up picture inside the mouth. You don't get opportunities to see that every day.

You got some really nice views of the elephant, and even the male lion was pretty cooperative. Very sleepy lion.

Thanks for taking us along on the tour, and we didn't even have to get harnessed up!

:crowded:

I just stumbled across your TR, and I think it's crazy that you're from Petal! My Mammaw grew up in Moselle and has lived there on and off for most of my life, and of course no one every knows where that is...so I always say "SOUTHERN Mississippi."

anyways...now I'll go back and read about your trip...I think the Wild Africa Trek would be awesome, but DH is afraid of heights....
Moselle is just a stones throw from Petal right up Hwy 11! I could be cheesy and say, "It really is a small world after all!" but I won't...oops!! :lmao:

Beautiful photos!
Thank you ma'am!

GREAT update!!! I have seen very few reviews of the Wild Africa Tour, so I really appreciated reading about this.

Do you know the age limit for this? I saw the young kids in the picture- they look younger than 16, so my kids might be eligible.
The age minimum is 8 (48" and 45lbs too) and anyone under 18 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.

Now, seriously, was that an appropriate response in this situation?

:rotfl2:
Now that's an angle I didn't think about...hmmm...nah...we've been married too long...I know better...but one can hope! :lmao:

That is a cute group picture.

WOW! Amazing hippo shots! I love the close up picture inside the mouth. You don't get opportunities to see that every day.

You got some really nice views of the elephant, and even the male lion was pretty cooperative. Very sleepy lion.
Thanks for the pic compliments. I can't take all the credit because some of the shots were by the CM but there were plenty of photo-ops for me to try too.

Thanks for taking us along on the tour, and we didn't even have to get harnessed up!
You're welcome...I aims to please! :thumbsup2

You totally had me :rotfl2: with your harness comment! Oh that poor cm!!

The trek looks like an amazing tour. I am considering it for the fall, but I have been told it can be a bit warm. Did you find it to be?

Pictures are amazing!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter