2009 Prices a little over the edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about this for a minute.

At a value resort you get a room...with A/C, maid service, a shower in a tub that you can actually turn around in, and a real toilet!

For the same price at Ft. Wilderness you get...

to tow/drive your RV from your home at great expense so you can furnish your own accommodations!

Did the management at Ft. Wilderness really think this out?:confused3

But just think, at a Value(AND all other resorts/hotels but FW) you ALSO GET...

Bed Bugs(***watch Verminator's lately???***):scared1:
Other people's body fluids and such in your bed and just for good measure dirty glassware(***See Dateline NBC***):scared1: :scared1:

You also get dirty floors that will turn your socks black and hair in your shower that doesn't belong to you or your family!:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Carry on, and PLEASE enjoy!:thumbsup2

We will use our retarded gas guzzling camper and love EVERY minute of it!:love: :banana:

But just think, at a Value(AND all other resorts/hotels but FW) you ALSO GET...

Bed Bugs(***watch Verminator's lately???***):scared1:
Other people's body fluids and such in your bed and just for good measure dirty glassware(***See Dateline NBC***):scared1: :scared1:

You also get dirty floors that will turn your socks black and hair in your shower that doesn't belong to you or your family!:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Carry on, and PLEASE enjoy!:thumbsup2

We will use our retarded gas guzzling camper and love EVERY minute of it!:love: :banana:
I didn't say this was the better option, just that you pay the same amount and furnish the accommodations, the sheets, clean the room and the facilities, and the only thing that Ft. Wilderness management can say is that for an EXTRA $5/night they will let you bring your pet.

And as for the extra adult vs. child charge, my adolescent son uses more shower water than my 70 year old mom, but I had to pay extra when she went with us, but I guess I could have taken six more minor children with us without paying extra!

Oh, and something else that burnt my toast. We were put in an overflow pet loop at Memorial Day and charged the pet charge...there were no poop bags in that loop (not even poop bag stations). What was I paying $5/night for?:confused: I still had to clean up after him, but I had to furnish the plastic bags (zip-loc). One of the cast members told me I could go over to one of the pet loops and get one...I don't think so!:mad:

I didn't say this was the better option, just that you pay the same amount and furnish the accommodations, the sheets, clean the room and the facilities, and the only thing that Ft. Wilderness management can say is that for an EXTRA $5/night they will let you bring your pet.

And as for the extra adult vs. child charge, my adolescent son uses more shower water than my 70 year old mom, but I had to pay extra when she went with us, but I guess I could have taken six more minor children with us without paying extra!

Oh, and something else that burnt my toast. We were put in an overflow pet loop at Memorial Day and charged the pet charge...there were no poop bags in that loop (not even poop bag stations). What was I paying $5/night for?:confused: I still had to clean up after him, but I had to furnish the plastic bags (zip-loc). One of the cast members told me I could go over to one of the pet loops and get one...I don't think so!:mad:

I wish they would just make the whole C/G pet friendly, it would be alot easier for the ressie system and poop bags.

That is why the only pets that go anywhere with me are my husband and two kids!:lmao:

Why would I want to go to all that trouble on vacation anyway?:confused3

We also compared the price of a value vs FW camping for our Jan. 08 trip and when you factor in the cost of food, camping won out by far even though the Value was cheaper. And, lets not forget the bed bugs to consider...JUST COULDN'T DO IT!!!!:laughing:

At Kungaloosh World, every camper will get a supply of poop bags and a 4L box of wine upon check in!

At Kungaloosh World, every camper will get a supply of poop bags and a 4L box of wine upon check in!

Jim- Can I get an extra large one for the husband(poop bag that is!!!)? He could fill a weeks worth in one day....;) you know, we must think about the enviroment...all those plastic bags!:scared1:

Jim- Can I get an extra large one for the husband(poop bag that is!!!)? He could fill a weeks worth in one day....;) you know, we must think about the enviroment...all those plastic bags!:scared1:

OMG ROFL! I just love this thread. Too funny!

Bobby Iger was over to the house last night and we started talking about the whole pricing at the fort deal. He let me in on a little secret. The plan is the Mouse will raise prices of campsites to an astronomical amount so even the millionaires will be going to other campgrounds. To cinch the deal, the quality of TE will continue to drop until no one will eat there (in fact, they have recently hired a management team from Chi Chi's to ensure it's demise). When there is no longer any demand, Disney will be able to safely reclaim this prime land and build more DVC resorts, which only foreign visitors will be able to purchase. This idea came about as a result of a survey Disney did - it seems WDW guests want more DVC properties, less campers who clutter up the boats to MK and take up valuable pool space, and fewer good places to eat. You see, Disney is just giving us what we want! Keep this quiet, please. It was told to me in the strictest confidence.

Now you are name dropping too? Geesh!:sad2:

I've had to give the Mouse a little space for a while. Not being a local, we came about once a year for 7 years from northern Alabama. Back when we started, gas was cheap, the camp sites were affordable, and the kids could all buy off the kid's menus in the restaurants.

Fast forward to now where gas is $4+ a gallon, the campsites are over $100/night, the kids are all "grown-ups" <over 10> and eat like horses. It costs us nearly $375 a day to visit one park a day (5 adults) unless I take out a home mortgage to get the 10-day No Expiration tickets (no wait, my equity vanished).

The parks cut hours, cut fireworks and night shows, hell, they even quit putting out the Country Bears Jamboree Christmas show a couple years ago (that really chaps me - I love CBJ). It's a good thing I have the mp3 files of all the Disney theme park music. Then they're going to slam the doors on the Adventurer's Club so they can sell more JUNK 24x7 that a week after I get home the kids don't want anymore.

Everyone can make their own decisions but I've made mine which is to stay away from the Mouse and the Fort for a few years. This year's big family trip is to Washington DC (all the museums are free). Next year I've got some ideas that don't include Orlando. Our state park down on the coast is $25/night and I can walk to the beach and relax (only 5 hours drive not 9 to the Fort). Loved my spring mornings at the Fort; loved the campfires with Ms. Sundee; loved the HDDR and the petting farm (when it was there) and the Haunted Hayride from several years ago.

Love the Fort then but now I refuse to be used and abused. :3dglasses

Bama ED

This year's big family trip is to Washington DC (all the museums are free).

That's funny, we were just talking about the sme thing for next year. We will still go to Disney once though. It's just two of us now though.

They must think things are really going to pick up for next July, we were at the Fort for the week before and after the 4th and except for the long weekend around the the 4th the 1900 loop was almost vacant. For most of the time it was us and maybe 4-5 other campers in the loop.

Jen may have the right idea. I've been to other "friends" gatherings with my teardrop and tabtrailers groups, and it's NOT about the campground, it's about meeting with friends, touring each other's campers, and enjoying each other's company. There are MANY wonderful campgrounds around this big ole USA.

Having said that though, I'm pretty sure that once they settle out the renovation schedule (one way or the other) and release the 2009 rates, that except for the premium sites over Christmas week, most sites will drop in price over the entire year, and more availability will show up as they know more about which sites/loops will have the work completed (or not done at all).

I just talked to a friend of mine yesterday that her DD works for Disney on the college program. They are very close and tell each other EVERYTHING, so I always get good info from her. Apparently, WDW has been having all kinds of staff meetings talking about cutting full timers' hours and how they expect the parks to plummet as far as % of capacity after Labor Day. It seems that up until Labor Day, everything is mostly paid for by guests (I guess they never look at my reservation?:lmao: ). After that date, the pendulum swings completely in the opposite direction with most of the vacations being paid for with only deposits, with many being canceled every day. If they aren't seeing the writing on the wall and want to be this greedy, they are going to lose my business and at least 5 others in our area that have annual passes, go often, and 2 of them have been banking DVC points instead of going. I know it is not just us.

I put this on another thread but it bears repeating; things are not as rosy as some may believe in the land of the mouse:

I've posted this elsewhere.. but I think this answers the OP's question pretty resoundingly..

WDW Resort attendance which is usually at LEAST around 87% for the first three weeks of July (and sometimes in the 92-95% range.. ) ... is hovering around 65% occupancy for the first three weeks of July.

Normally certain resorts are sold out this time of year and for the past three weeks, they haven't even been using all the available buildings .. Now the sources I have who are very well placed to know these numbers do indicate that the attendance picks up a bit next week.. but still doesn't crack the 80% occupancy level.

For this time of year.. that's bad... bordering on disastrous. June & July are Disney's 'bread and butter' months to a large degree and the guests are just not there.

And when you add to that significant drop in attendance, Disney is paying almost TWICE as much in fuel costs to run all those DME buses, almost twice to run the intra-park/resort buses, almost twice to run the parking lot trams ... than they were in August of 2007.

Then.. factor in that the costs for raw ingredients for the restaurants have been on a steady climb, fed mostly by increased transportation costs; and resort laundry and other areas of the parks are facing increased energy usage costs.

Disney got slammed in 2008 with all the increased costs that are directly attributable to the price of oil.. and no way to recoup those hard costs beyond raising stroller rentals and the 'holiday' dining surcharge.

And remember that a 22% to 30% drop in resort bookings can mean a MUCH larger drop in park purchases and food bills ... in part because those who do bother to make the trip are much most price sensitive and consider carefully every expenditure; often forgoing a TS meal or a souvenir that they might have otherwise bought if their own personal budget wasn't also under many of the same strains as above.

Just something to think about... especially as we near August 1st and what is very likely to be a major ticket structure realignment.. and yes, at the very least.. probably a price increase for comparable entitlements...

To sum up - Yeah, it's affecting Disney big time.

Knox

I know things are costing Disney more because of fuel prices, but I can't feel sorry for them after they been sticking it to us for YEARS.

I know things are costing Disney more because of fuel prices, but I can't feel sorry for them after they been sticking it to us for YEARS.

i couldn't agree more. so their profits won't be as high, join the club, no one has the spending money they once had. i can't believe they can't see that raising things and eliminating things to keep their profits way high , isn't the way to bring/keep their guests returning. They are going to lose the new guests more than anything; people won't be able to take that once-in-a-lifetime vacation. If it gets really bad, the die-hards like us will trim our trips from 4 a year to 1. Thats got to hurt over all but they've been riding a high wave for so long, this is NOTHING to them but its everything to us, the guests.

The GG 2009 will be more of a tour, than a show.

I put this on another thread but it bears repeating; things are not as rosy as some may believe in the land of the mouse:

maybe those stats are average for the resorts, but my buddy over at OKW says on a board in their work area the occupancy rate is over 90%. He says right now they are operating on vacations made over 1 year ago when the economy was good, but are hunkering down for the end of the year when they expect things to drop off.

maybe those stats are average for the resorts, but my buddy over at OKW says on a board in their work area the occupancy rate is over 90%. He says right now they are operating on vacations made over 1 year ago when the economy was good, but are hunkering down for the end of the year when they expect things to drop off.

is that cash inventory or points inventory? i don't think you can compare a dvc point inventory with the general occupancy rate of non dvc resorts. It seems like DVC is always going to have a slightly higher occ. rate since there's no immediate cash outlay with using points. well, except for getting there, but the hotel is usually the highest thing to pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter