2016 WDW Star Wars race rumors?

I think the last part of May is too close to June which means it's too hot. Plus, there will be too much construction going on for a Star Wars themed race and not to have the land finished, in my opinion. Plus, I believe it's too late for such an enormous announcement. I do certainly see WDW getting a Star Wars race and Rundisney having a special coast to coast but don't see if for at least a year or more.

But I certainly agree, WDW needs another race ASAP. I don't see them letting money sit on the table and not claiming it by not putting out a new race. The wheels have to keep turning.

I'm just going to concentrate on gaining my C2C next year if things work out right.

I am excited by the prospect of a WDW Star Wars race weekend (ran the inaugural SW Half at DL and had a blast!), But I don't think it will be scheduled during SWW. The reason being is that if I remember correctly, many (if not all) race weekends are scheduled to bring more people to the parks during slower times. SWW in recent years are extremely popular and DHS is packed to the gills. Tying in a race weekend on top of those crowds is not a necessary strategy for getting more people to the parks since presumably SW fans are already attending one or more of the current five weekends. If I were to guess, based on the fill up the parks strategy, Disney would have a SW race weekend the weekend prior to the first SWW, which would encourage 10-day vacations or multiple weekends if SW fans are the target audience. SWW typically start the third weekend in May, so perhaps it would be the second weekend, putting it one week after the traditional EE weekend. Just my guess as a huge SWW fan and annual attendee. :)
I hope that any SW race would coincide with one of the SWW in May. I can't pull of driving down for the race one weekend and coming for SWW another weekend.

I haven't been following all the D23 announcements but do know they made quite a few park announcements about Star Wars for both US and overseas parks. Did anyone hear anything about a Star Wars race or really any RunDisney announcements from D23?

I haven't been following all the D23 announcements but do know they made quite a few park announcements about Star Wars for both US and overseas parks. Did anyone hear anything about a Star Wars race or really any RunDisney announcements from D23?
Nope. Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land were the big takeaways for WDW. Nothing about runDisney as far as I know.

Makes me wonder how race courses for the marathon and Wine & Dine half will be affected with all of the Studios construction over the next few years - and would they put off having a WDW Star Wars race until Star Wars Land is done? If they do that's 5ish years from now (per construction rumors).

Makes me wonder how race courses for the marathon and Wine & Dine half will be affected with all of the Studios construction - and would they put off having a WDW Star Wars race until Star Wars Land is done? If they do that's 5ish years from now (per construction rumors).

Initially I was in the camp they'd wait until Star Wars Land was done.
But now I'm wondering if maybe they'll do it during Seasons of the Force (depending on exactly when that is). I think that some West Coasters who might have otherwise come to FL for SWW will now likely go to DL for Seasons of the Force, but if given the option for a special Star Wars Coast-to-Coast ... that might bring them back to Florida for WDW's Season of the Force.

In terms of Wine & Dine and Marathon courses ... I think that'll be a wait-and-see situation. Wine & Dine changes may wait until the construction is further along - I don't know that enough is happening now to affect the course, but we'll see in a few months as we get closer to the race. Marathon is already affected by the speedway, meaning that we know that course is changing at least a little - so maybe they'll just include any HS construction-related changes they think are necessary so that they don't have to get another new course approved once the construction really gets going.

I saw on one of the facebook groups - I will try to go back and find it - that someone found a new star wars icon in coding for the rundisney site. It seemed like they were testing it. They said they had seen this before with another race. So maybe??

I saw on one of the facebook groups - I will try to go back and find it - that someone found a new star wars icon in coding for the rundisney site. It seemed like they were testing it. They said they had seen this before with another race. So maybe??
Discussion of that begins in post #35 in this thread. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter