2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

A couple of thoughts...

1. If you're just starting out, I highly recommend the Couch-to-5K training plan. It has you do run/walk intervals over 8 weeks (I think)...3 runs per week.

2. Once you get through C25K, look for a race in your area that is at least a 10K (6.2 miles). This will help you get some race experience and will give you a time to submit to Disney for your corral placement.

3. People won't agree with me on this, but I'd also recommend doing a half marathon - NOT as part of a challenge - before GSC. might take some of the pressure off going into the challenge already knowing you can do a half.

4. Training plans...obviously Jeff Galloway, like you said. Personally I like to use Hal Higdon training plans, so that's what I will use. Also look into some kind of cross training (strength training, yoga, etc.) to compliment your running.

And before you do any of this...go to a running store and get fitted for running shoes. :)

Thanks for those tips! We have trained in the past (working on C25k), but it's been a few months since we were really in the swing of things. I was doing all the right things: got fitted for my shoes (I'd chosen the right ones, woo!), was seeing a PT, walking and building up to running, but then some medical issues reared their head and we had to stop training.

I've looked into some Hal Hidgon plans and bookmarked them for when we start training for our (planned) 10k in April. I found a nifty 8 week conditioning plan (first result here) to get back into shape to start a "real" training plan and I'm combining that with a Coach Jenny plan to have strength training days as well. It's all color coded and ready to go ;) I hadn't thought about doing a 1/2 before the GSC though, that's a really great idea!

And on training plans...for example if you find an eight week plan, start it ten weeks out. I always like to add a two week cushion to any plan as life and the holidays WILL get in the way and maybe a cold or a sick child. You can always adjust near the race.

This is pretty brilliant - I hadn't thought about that!

Thanks for those tips! We have trained in the past (working on C25k), but it's been a few months since we were really in the swing of things. I was doing all the right things: got fitted for my shoes (I'd chosen the right ones, woo!), was seeing a PT, walking and building up to running, but then some medical issues reared their head and we had to stop training.
Let me tell you...I feel your pain right now (literally). I have not been able to run for about 5 weeks due to back issues. :( Frustrating!
I've looked into some Hal Hidgon plans and bookmarked them for when we start training for our (planned) 10k in April. I found a nifty 8 week conditioning plan (first result here) to get back into shape to start a "real" training plan and I'm combining that with a Coach Jenny plan to have strength training days as well. It's all color coded and ready to go ;) I hadn't thought about doing a 1/2 before the GSC though, that's a really great idea!
I love that your plan is color-coded. I have a Google Doc with the entire year laid out. ;) Of course it's pretty empty right now since I am not totally sure when I can start training again, but I digress...

One caution with building extra weeks into your training plan - the plans are designed to have you "peak" at a certain time and then rest before your race, so if you add in a week or two you want to be sure that you're careful not to peak too early or late...if that makes sense. :)

So, since we have a year+ until Princess Weekend, let's discuss possible themes! I did some digging and here are the themes from past weekends...

For 2009 - 2012, I'm taking the "theme" from what was on the 5K medallion...and for the first 4 weekends the half marathon medal was tiara-shaped and a little more generic (the ribbons changed colors, but just had the name and date of the race embroidered/printed on them)
2009: shield with swords - didn't seem to be themed to a specific Princess
2010: Princess and the Frog
2011: Beauty and the Beast
2012: Tangled

For the 5th anniversary weekend, the half marathon medal was re-designed to the heart shape that is currently being used
2013: Minnie and Mickey for 5th anniversary

I think 2014 was the first year that the entire weekend was themed to a specific princess...so the race shirts and the ribbons on the medals were a little more themed, in addition to the 5K medallions:
2014: Cinderella (inaugural Princess 10K and Glass Slipper Challenge)
2015: Frozen
2016: Little Mermaid

So based on who has been used so far...any guesses? I'm hoping for Mulan (she's technically a Disney princess, right?)! Also hoping that the theme will be revealed before registration like it was last year. :)

So, since we have a year+ until Princess Weekend, let's discuss possible themes! I did some digging and here are the themes from past weekends...

For 2009 - 2012, I'm taking the "theme" from what was on the 5K medallion...and for the first 4 weekends the half marathon medal was tiara-shaped and a little more generic (the ribbons changed colors, but just had the name and date of the race embroidered/printed on them)

For the 5th anniversary weekend, the half marathon medal was re-designed to the heart shape that is currently being used

I think 2014 was the first year that the entire weekend was themed to a specific princess...so the race shirts and the ribbons on the medals were a little more themed, in addition to the 5K medallions:

So based on who has been used so far...any guesses? I'm hoping for Mulan (she's technically a Disney princess, right?)! Also hoping that the theme will be revealed before registration like it was last year. :)

Snow White or Sleeping beauty I hope

Hmm.. Snow White, Brave, Sleeping Beauty, Jasmine?

I'd love to have it themed with Brave... it could also be the new Hawaiian princess, Moana? That movie is coming out later this year so the focus may still be on her?

We're doing Glass Slipper Challenge, so we were hoping for B&TB. I will gladly take Mulan and Jasmine. Anyone but Merida will be fine by me.

FYI - for those not following the Disneyland Half thread - during early registration there was a new change to PoT. PoT submission is required for anyone expecting to run a 2:45 or faster half marathon.

FYI - for those not following the Disneyland Half thread - during early registration there was a new change to PoT. PoT submission is required for anyone expecting to run a 2:45 or faster half marathon.

So is PoT needed at the time of registration or can it be submitted later during the open window?

SO it looks like I may be doing the PHM this next year instead of Marathon Weekend. Does anyone remember how long it took races to fill last year? I looked back at the 2016 Thread but it doesn't give time stamps that far back.

I'm looking to do the GSC, my wife - 10K and our boys probably the mile and 400. My In-laws may want to do it but I think I'll just have them sign up themselves.

They filled REALLY quickly. Probably the quickest overall compared to the other race weekends. Active.com crashed. I'll dig for time stamps on another message board...

They filled REALLY quickly. Probably the quickest overall compared to the other race weekends. Active.com crashed. I'll dig for time stamps on another message board...

I plan on being online at 11:45 ready to go with my wife on one computer and I on another. I'd really like to do the GSC but I know I could probably still get into the half if it sold out. We have to register ourselves and our two boys and if I recall correctly, everything sold out before the end of the day.

I plan on being online at 11:45 ready to go with my wife on one computer and I on another. I'd really like to do the GSC but I know I could probably still get into the half if it sold out. We have to register ourselves and our two boys and if I recall correctly, everything sold out before the end of the day.
Ack! Glad you posted, I forgot to look. :guilty:

Here's what I found...these are approximations.

Glass Slipper Challenge sold out at 1:45PM EST
Princess 10K sold out at 1:45PM EST
Princess Half Marathon sold out at approximately 7PM EST (not gonna lie, I stopped caring by then so I wasn't following the capacity as closely)
Princess 5K sold out at some point on 7/18 or 7/19, so that one took a couple of days
Not sure when the kids races sold out, they were the last to go

Not surprising to me that the 10K and challenge went first - seems common with all rD events. But it IS surprising that the half sold out on the first day. That seems to be pretty rare (look at the Star Wars Dark Side half, which just sold out and the Tink half, which is still open).

Make sure you have your Active profiles ready to go and any possible links open...I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

I need to register multiple people for the race - my husband and myself. Should I have two tabs going or what is the best way to do this so I'm not locked out?

I need to register multiple people for the race - my husband and myself. Should I have two tabs going or what is the best way to do this so I'm not locked out?
Multiple machines or browsers. Since you are both adults, you will each need a separate Active.com account. This is something new this year.

The nice thing is the once your Active.com account is set up, you can log in and there's a lot of info that carries over to your registration...less to type that way. :)

Multiple machines or browsers. Since you are both adults, you will each need a separate Active.com account. This is something new this year.

The nice thing is the once your Active.com account is set up, you can log in and there's a lot of info that carries over to your registration...less to type that way. :)

We did this for Tink 10K and didn't have a problem. I'll make sure to have separate browsers going - I have dual screen monitors and be logged-in and ready to go.

Ack! Glad you posted, I forgot to look. :guilty:

Here's what I found...these are approximations.

Glass Slipper Challenge sold out at 1:45PM EST
Princess 10K sold out at 1:45PM EST
Princess Half Marathon sold out at approximately 7PM EST (not gonna lie, I stopped caring by then so I wasn't following the capacity as closely)
Princess 5K sold out at some point on 7/18 or 7/19, so that one took a couple of days
Not sure when the kids races sold out, they were the last to go

Not surprising to me that the 10K and challenge went first - seems common with all rD events. But it IS surprising that the half sold out on the first day. That seems to be pretty rare (look at the Star Wars Dark Side half, which just sold out and the Tink half, which is still open).

Make sure you have your Active profiles ready to go and any possible links open...I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Thank you very much! I know after last year's Marathon Weekend registration they changed to the current one needing active accounts. Less typing. So I have yet to register with this set-up. Nice to know I can register myself and one or both of my boys under my account.

Surprised the 5K didn't sell out the day of registration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter