2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Thank you very much! I know after last year's Marathon Weekend registration they changed to the current one needing active accounts. Less typing. So I have yet to register with this set-up. Nice to know I can register myself and one or both of my boys under my account.

Surprised the 5K didn't sell out the day of registration.
Yeah, you and your wife would need separate accounts but like you said, should be able to register your boys until your accounts. I've never done this since I don't have kiddos, but I'm sure someone else can chime in. :)

I'm VERY surprised the 5K didn't fill before the half did. :confused3

So I'm still going to follow along with this thread, because it's a few months until definitive decisions need to be made and registration opens, but I probably won't be doing Princess next year after all. I still really want to, but I don't think I'll be able to justify it. I found out yesterday that, assuming I'm still in my same job position and in the same district next school year (I'm a teacher), my Spring Break will be in late April, which coincides with the dates for the 2017 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend. Even though I'd still have to travel out the afternoon/evening of the day of the half marathon to get back for Monday (the race weekend is at the end of our Spring Break week) it makes more sense to go to that event over Princess if I do any at all (and it's not like I'd be going just for convenience - I do have interest in Star Wars). I'd be able to give myself a cushion to travel in a few days prior and no personal days would be needed. In a perfect world, I'd take the personal day in February to go to Princess weekend, and then go for Dark Side over Spring Break, but I don't think I'll pull that off. Especially since I've got this grand idea of trying to do a super quick trip over Labor Day for Disneyland Half weekend that same year to get a Coast to Coast (oh how I want one so badly!). 3 runDisney races in one year is not likely to happen! So at this point, as much as I want to do Princess, it may have to wait until 2018 and I'll do Star Wars next year instead.

Being a teacher really just doesn't mesh with wanting to do RunDisney!

So I'm still going to follow along with this thread, because it's a few months until definitive decisions need to be made and registration opens, but I probably won't be doing Princess next year after all. I still really want to, but I don't think I'll be able to justify it. I found out yesterday that, assuming I'm still in my same job position and in the same district next school year (I'm a teacher), my Spring Break will be in late April, which coincides with the dates for the 2017 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend. Even though I'd still have to travel out the afternoon/evening of the day of the half marathon to get back for Monday (the race weekend is at the end of our Spring Break week) it makes more sense to go to that event over Princess if I do any at all (and it's not like I'd be going just for convenience - I do have interest in Star Wars). I'd be able to give myself a cushion to travel in a few days prior and no personal days would be needed. In a perfect world, I'd take the personal day in February to go to Princess weekend, and then go for Dark Side over Spring Break, but I don't think I'll pull that off. Especially since I've got this grand idea of trying to do a super quick trip over Labor Day for Disneyland Half weekend that same year to get a Coast to Coast (oh how I want one so badly!). 3 runDisney races in one year is not likely to happen! So at this point, as much as I want to do Princess, it may have to wait until 2018 and I'll do Star Wars next year instead.

Being a teacher really just doesn't mesh with wanting to do RunDisney!

Must be frustrating at times! Both my sister and mom are teachers (different states) and we've talked about doing a Disney trip as a whole family (7-8 adults, 5 kid Under 8 at the moment) and it usually always end with someone saying we'd have to do it over the teacher vacations. Now rarely do any of their winter and spring vacations overlap and I've flat out refused to go any time June - August. This doesn't even include trying to schedule it over a rD event and the associated logistics of travel for people such as you. But I hope you eventually ran the races you hope to run!

Must be frustrating at times! Both my sister and mom are teachers (different states) and we've talked about doing a Disney trip as a whole family (7-8 adults, 5 kid Under 8 at the moment) and it usually always end with someone saying we'd have to do it over the teacher vacations. Now rarely do any of their winter and spring vacations overlap and I've flat out refused to go any time June - August. This doesn't even include trying to schedule it over a rD event and the associated logistics of travel for people such as you. But I hope you eventually ran the races you hope to run!
Yeah, it is. I've learned to deal with taking regular Disney trips over school holidays, because it's what I'm used to and my family and I know how to approach it. So that doesn't bother me. But now that I've learned about and become interested in Run Disney, it's made me wish I could take trips at those lesser times. Of course the events (understandably) don't typically line up with school breaks, which is why I was really surprised to find out about next year's Star Wars.

I'm just really jealous of people who can go to just a couple events every year, and make actual trips out of them. The whole situation is why I was especially frustrated with what happened at Wine and Dine. Obviously everyone was disappointed by it, but as my only event to this point and for a while, I left feeling really down, and still am from time to time, which is why I need to go back.

I'm seriously thinking of signing up for the challenge. After the Wine and Dine last year, I still haven't fulfilled my half marathon bucket list. :rolleyes:

I've been slacking in the running since December and I need something to push me. At least I have until July to figure out if I can swing it or not. :crazy:

When I think about the GSC it seems like alot of running in two days. So many run people say it is important to rest between run days. Are you not really sore and tired after the 10k? Do people run the whole HM or do you rest through out it? Never done a HM and the more I think about it the more I get freaked out about being able to do both. 10k doesn't scare me but 10k and HM in two days?! I think I have been thinking too much about it. Really want to do it but I am so far from being ready. I know I have a year. I figured I could ramble here and get some information and advise.

When I think about the GSC it seems like alot of running in two days. So many run people say it is important to rest between run days. Are you not really sore and tired after the 10k? Do people run the whole HM or do you rest through out it? Never done a HM and the more I think about it the more I get freaked out about being able to do both. 10k doesn't scare me but 10k and HM in two days?! I think I have been thinking too much about it. Really want to do it but I am so far from being ready. I know I have a year. I figured I could ramble here and get some information and advise.

I haven't done the GSC, but I did run the Dumbo Challenge at Disneyland a few years ago. I won't lie and say it's easy, but it's doable if you put your mind into it. Now I don't run either race completely. I do walk during both races. I also took the 10k pretty easy and then the half I was there to survive it, which I did a lot better than expected.

I would normally agree that days should be taken in-between run days to rest and recover, but a lot of people also aren't training for one of these challenges. That's not saying you should do every run back to back with another run. That would probably be too much. There is a 19 week training plan for the challenge on the runDisney website under training. Maybe you should look at that before you truly make up your mind one way or another.

Your challenge might be the fact you;ve never run a HM before so it would be a lot of new experiences in one weekend. It sounds like you're pretty confident though in your running, at least for a 10k. You have a year to get that confident for the HM too! Running any of the challenges is intimidating regardless of distances, but if you put your mind and your heart to it, you can do it. Remember, you have a year to get ready, if you train for it you can do it! I believe in you :yay:

I'm nervous about it too, especially since I've never done a half - the longest in the past was a 10K. I'm also 9 months pregnant right now, so I assure you I'm a long way from being ready too! But I really want to do it, and for me, I know that my determination is pretty powerful, if I set my mind to something I can do it. We have a year to train, I'm hoping it will be OK!

I think it depends on your goals for the races and your training. If you're well-trained and are planning on taking the races somewhat easy, it should be doable to do the challenge.

For anyone contemplating a challenge, I highly, highly recommend doing a "stand-alone" half marathon first. Just knowing you can complete the distance should give you confidence. And as other posters have said, you have lots of time to train. :)

@slp1650 I will go check that training guide on runDisney site. Thanks

I have not ran since last years princess 10k. I know I shouldn't have stopped :( Going to sign up for a 5k in June and a 10k in September. Maybe I will look into a HM for November. Will want to fit it in before we get winter again here. Don't want to do a HM in the snow :)

@slp1650 I will go check that training guide on runDisney site. Thanks

I have not ran since last years princess 10k. I know I shouldn't have stopped :( Going to sign up for a 5k in June and a 10k in September. Maybe I will look into a HM for November. Will want to fit it in before we get winter again here. Don't want to do a HM in the snow :)
Totally normal to have a lull in training - I myself haven't run for 2 months now due to an injury. I'm hoping to start up again sometime in the next month or so...I'll be starting totally from scratch :eek:

I'm hoping to find a local race to do sometime in the fall/early winter for Proof of Time (assuming I have enough time to re-gain the speed I've lost)...I have one Proof of Time that I can use but it's not quite as good as what I would prefer to submit. :)

Yay! I'm excited to see this thread. Last year I was online in time for GSC, but just couldn't go through with actually submitting the registration. I really want to be ready for the race and have an entry time, so I can enjoy the race and take photos with characters. So I am planning (and hoping) this is the year. I cant wait to start seeing peoples trip reports from this years race!

Loving that there is a thread here!

I just completed my second successful try at C25K (about 5 years after my first try :P). But with the run/walk/run method I'm actually enjoying running. So I'm thinking about improving, longer distances, and maybe a runDisney race (!). With current plans, job situations, etc. Princess 2017 is looking like the most likely candidate - which gives me a ton of time.

Right now I'm starting to work toward a 10k distance and maybe compete in a local race or two. Then I want to try to build up to the half distance and just get better at running. With how much a runDisney race costs, I personally only wanted to do a "big" race - and a half is definitely big! I'm a little nervous that this will end up just being another "phase" with running. I've gone through a few of those, but this is the first one where the running itself was actually enjoyable.

That was a bit of a ramble, but I'm excited to be hanging out with all of you guys :)

I'm trying to distract myself from this year's even starting (since I was supposed to be there... :( Last time I'll whine about it, I promise!) by focusing on planning for next year.

Where is everyone thinking of staying for the races? I have other trips planned for 2017 so part of me thinks I should go for something a little more cost-effective...but I'd also REALLY like to stay on the monorail. Decisions, decisions...

Where is everyone thinking of staying for the races?

We're thinking about this because we may book for bounceback offers during our next trip. Maybe the beach club because of its proximity to the start line at EPCOT? I wouldn't mind staying at the contemporary again. Budget hotels are not an option due to the amount of kids and families staying - would rather pay a little more for a nicer bed and room, especially if we're doing the 10K and Half.

I'm still not that convinced whether to do the glass slipper challenge for 2017. Part of me wants to but the other part doesn't because Princess half gets so packed :/

We're thinking about this because we may book for bounceback offers during our next trip. Maybe the beach club because of its proximity to the start line at EPCOT? I wouldn't mind staying at the contemporary again. Budget hotels are not an option due to the amount of kids and families staying - would rather pay a little more for a nicer bed and room, especially if we're doing the 10K and Half.
You may know this, but I wanted to point out (in case you didn't, because I see you have done Disneyland races but not WDW ones from your signature) that you cannot actually walk to the starting line from the Epcot resorts. The bus ride is short though! :) And still a great location overall.
I'm still not that convinced whether to do the glass slipper challenge for 2017. Part of me wants to but the other part doesn't because Princess half gets so packed :/
Yeah, the expo sounds insane right now! The last time I did Princess was in 2011...the pull to get merchandise wasn't so crazy then. :eek: I'm thinking for next year I'm just going to plan on arriving later in the day when it (hopefully) has calmed down.

I did the Princess half last year and omg the whole way was so packed. We barely had room to run :/. I'm curious about the princess they will use for next year.

You may know this, but I wanted to point out (in case you didn't, because I see you have done Disneyland races but not WDW ones from your signature) that you cannot actually walk to the starting line from the Epcot resorts. The bus ride is short though! :) And still a great location overall.

I haven't done a Disney World race yet -- so... this is good to know. At that rate, I may stay at Port Orleans and enjoy the high-end moderate pricing :) Princess room for Princess race makes for good themes .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter