2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Does anyone have a link to weather history for the race? Some have commented earlier in this thread about temperatures and humidity, but I sure its all relative to where you are from and your training temps. Just want to prepare myself. I’m in the South so I’m pretty used to lots of humidity and higher temps.

This year it was hot. So hot that during the half they had a station set up with wet sponges. I don’t think it was up the whole time; just for people like me who were getting more value out of their fee.

2015 5k was freezing. It had been literally freezing for the January weekend 5k (that I was volunteering for and son and then husband were participating in), but it was colder the next month. For princess (unlike the month before) they had heaters set up and passed out Mylar blankets in the corrals.

And I’ve apparently blocked out 2016 and 2017.

Does anyone have a link to weather history for the race? Some have commented earlier in this thread about temperatures and humidity, but I sure its all relative to where you are from and your training temps. Just want to prepare myself. I’m in the South so I’m pretty used to lots of humidity and higher temps.

Weather Underground keeps historical data.

You won’t find any kind of consistency. Be prepared for anything from below freezing temps to heat and 100% humidity and you’ll be fine.

What's the timing like for a race morning? Show up super early by resort bus, and then I don't know what happens. How do you store your warm clothes to wear after the race for the bus ride back to your resort? Do they let you do that with some sort of last-minute gear check (I can only imagine that chaos), or once you arrive by bus you have to wear what you're wearing for the race or ditch it en route to be donated to local charities? Obviously, pre- and post- clothing will look a bit different depending on weather. I'm hoping for something mild enough that I can just run in what I wear on the bus, but realise that may not be the case.

Also, how early do the buses arrive before the race? Are we standing around for an hour? More?

Do they let you ditch gear along the race course? In Disneyland I know they used to collect that gear and donate it to charity, thus the comment above. (Though I never did one of those races, but I researched them in detail the month before they cancelled them.)

I've never done a Disney race before (besides Castaway Cay 5K), so walk me through a typical race morning. Thank you!

Surprisingly, Disney's bag check works very efficiently. You are given a large clear bag at packet pickup. You put your post-race items in the bag, write your number on it, and hand it to a frirndly & helpful volunteer in one of the many bag check tents. It's waiting for you in the same place after the race.

This year it was hot. So hot that during the half they had a station set up with wet sponges. I don’t think it was up the whole time; just for people like me who were getting more value out of their fee.

2015 5k was freezing. It had been literally freezing for the January weekend 5k (that I was volunteering for and son and then husband were participating in), but it was colder the next month. For princess (unlike the month before) they had heaters set up and passed out Mylar blankets in the corrals.

And I’ve apparently blocked out 2016 and 2017.

Princess 5k was great weather in 2017. Not too hot or cold. We were quite comfortable - warm enough that I didn't put on leggings under my running skirt. Had a cheap throw-away sweatshirt that I folded and left neatly on a curb about half a mile in (love that system!).

Hey everybody! Hope y’all are doing well! I’m pumped for the races! I’m signed up for all 3 (apparently I’m a glutton for punishment). Anyways, I just found out I have adult onset asthma. Does anyone have any tips for races and training with asthma? I’d love any advice y’all can give me. Thanks!

Hey everybody! Hope y’all are doing well! I’m pumped for the races! I’m signed up for all 3 (apparently I’m a glutton for punishment). Anyways, I just found out I have adult onset asthma. Does anyone have any tips for races and training with asthma? I’d love any advice y’all can give me. Thanks!
I don't know about whether or not the adult-onset part changes anything, but I've had moderate to severe asthma my whole life and still run and keep up with the fastest group of runners without issue (in my lungs, anyway). I bike, swim, run, and/or workout in some variation every day. That can only happen if I take my daily medication though, and so I'm very good at using my steroid puffer twice a day. (I'm on a high dose, but it works!!) Otherwise, exercise is valuable in building healthy lung capacity, and helping you recover faster from attacks, if they happen. I'm lucky that if I take my steroid inhaler, I hardly ever have to use my relief puffer - like once or twice a year! Keep exercising, and ask your doctor(s) plenty of questions.

Other considerations:
- Be careful when you're sick. Never start a run if you feel wheezy or congested in the chest. (That goes for anyone.)
- Be mindful of weather: humidity, dryness, and cold can make asthma worse in some people. A peak flow meter can help you learn what might affect you. Some runners wear a buff or scarf over their mouth and nose on cooler days to warm the air.
- Carry your rescue inhaler everywhere with you!!
- Know what your triggers are, if any: smoke, exhaustion, illness, scents, environmental allergies, pollen, etc. and avoid them as much as possible. Smoky or high pollen count outside? Time for a treadmill run!
- Ask your doctor if you need to adjust your daily medication when you know triggers will be present (like starting school, flu season, pollen season, etc.)
- You may want to get additional vaccines for pulmonary diseases and viruses, such as flu and pneumonia. Asthma makes you more prone to complications from those illnesses. Getting sick reduces training ability... nobody wants that when there's a race coming up.
- Many Olympic athletes have asthma - random trivia and inspiration for you.

Asthma should not prevent you from exercising. If it is preventing you from doing what you want, you need to speak with a doctor to get better/different medication. What works for some people doesn't work for others. Keeping asthma controlled can be challenging to start, but once it's under control, do everything to keep it that way, so you have the most freedom - but also the least side effects now and later in life.

I'm doctor, so take the above lightly, but they make good starting points to review with your doctor.

What's the timing like for a race morning? Show up super early by resort bus, and then I don't know what happens. How do you store your warm clothes to wear after the race for the bus ride back to your resort? Do they let you do that with some sort of last-minute gear check (I can only imagine that chaos), or once you arrive by bus you have to wear what you're wearing for the race or ditch it en route to be donated to local charities? Obviously, pre- and post- clothing will look a bit different depending on weather. I'm hoping for something mild enough that I can just run in what I wear on the bus, but realise that may not be the case.

Also, how early do the buses arrive before the race? Are we standing around for an hour? More?

Do they let you ditch gear along the race course? In Disneyland I know they used to collect that gear and donate it to charity, thus the comment above. (Though I never did one of those races, but I researched them in detail the month before they cancelled them.)

I've never done a Disney race before (besides Castaway Cay 5K), so walk me through a typical race morning. Thank you!

Gear check is in the area before you head to corrals. For the Half that’s significant because the walk to the corrals is about a mile unless I’m misremembering. For the 5 and 10k it’s less of a big deal.

But you are leaving your stuff behind before you head to the corrals.

Many use Mylar blankets in the corrals. Be sure you move it up and away from your bib before crossing any tracking mat may because it can interfere with reading your timing chip!!!

Many do leave clothing along the way, and they have the same program as Disneyland.

I have a friend who buys new sweats outfits before any cold-weather event. Leaves the tags on. And just before the start he takes them off and folds them neatly to be picked up for charity. It’s a lovely thing. For me I am willing to be cold rather than buy things I’m not going to keep. I do my charity giving in other ways.

At the end you get your medal, water, Powerade, food box and banana, have the option to have pictures taken, then go to gear check to get your stuff. I bring flip flops, arnica, tight knee socks, my own snacks, sometimes different clothing...

For the 10k and half they do have snacks *and booze* for purchase. Wine champagne and beer being the booze. If that floats your boat, bring money (or your magicbands if you’re onsite and set up room charging)

I start events with a trail scarf pulled up over nose and mouth, especially for a cold run. Once temperatures are evened out I keep it around my neck, pull it up as a headband, or even wrap it around my wrist.

If I’m taking my steroid (I’m highly non-compliant usually) I take it before leaving the hotel room.

Carry your rescue inhaler everywhere with you!!

Yep.

I am trying to figure out my flight back. Does anyone who has run the half marathon before know if I would be able to return to my hotel, shower and make it for a 3.30pm flight in the afternoon?

I am trying to figure out my flight back. Does anyone who has run the half marathon before know if I would be able to return to my hotel, shower and make it for a 3.30pm flight in the afternoon?
What corral do you think you’d be in? I had no problem getting back and checked out by 11 am a couple times, and I was middle of the pack.

I don’t know. Do you know your corrals already?
You can predict based on past years and if you submitted a proof of time. If you submitted one for a certain time, what was your time? If you didn’t put one in, you’d be closer to the back and it would be tighter getting back in time. Have you run a half before to guess how long you think it would take you?

You can predict based on past years and if you submitted a proof of time. If you submitted one for a certain time, what was your time? If you didn’t put one in, you’d be closer to the back and it would be tighter getting back in time. Have you run a half before to guess how long you think it would take you?
This is my first time participating so I put Dow 2.45-3hours.

I'm pretty sure a 3:30 flight will work for you. I ran my first Disney half marathon with no proof of time and very little training, so I had a very late finish, and we still made it to a 12:30 lunch reservation. As long as you account for travel times (like post-race and getting to the airport) and don't pack too many activities in between the end of the race and your flight, I think you'll be okay, especially if you can finish with a time under 3 hours.

I'm pretty sure a 3:30 flight will work for you. I ran my first Disney half marathon with no proof of time and very little training, so I had a very late finish, and we still made it to a 12:30 lunch reservation. As long as you account for travel times (like post-race and getting to the airport) and don't pack too many activities in between the end of the race and your flight, I think you'll be okay, especially if you can finish with a time under 3 hours.
Great! Thanks so much for the input!

I am *almost* embarrassed to ask - I am a guy and wondering if I will be out of place running alone at the PRINCESS marathon? My goal is to run every Disney marathon next year and did not sign up for the Princess initially because I thought it was for ladies only and men who run it do not get medaled. Well, I now know that I am wrong and so I am wondering if I should?8-)

I am *almost* embarrassed to ask - I am a guy and wondering if I will be out of place running alone at the PRINCESS marathon? My goal is to run every Disney marathon next year and did not sign up for the Princess initially because I thought it was for ladies only and men who run it do not get medaled. Well, I now know that I am wrong and so I am wondering if I should?8-)

You will not be alone! Of course it is mostly women, but there are some men at the Princess Half.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter