2020 dining plan changes- game changer! DxDP - any plan changes or credit sharing issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost this part in all the crazy discussion.

I agree!! I don’t drink so I never thought of this angle but this is probably why they had to extend the fix to the QS loophole too. (That’s the one I’m sort of sad about)

Back in 2018 when they first included alcohol, there were MANY of us here on the DIS saying there was no way they would continue to let people use kids credits to purchase an adult meal, but they did. It took them two years to finally decide they were losing enough money to make the change.

Prices for 2020 dining plans. The child plans are less than half of the adult price. You are now truly getting exactly what you paid for
(prices include tax)
PER ADULT, PER NIGHT
(adults are 10 years and older in Disney prices)
PER CHILD, PER NIGHT
(children are 3-9 years old in Disney prices)
Quick Service Dining Plan
  • 2 quick-service meals
  • 2 snacks
  • 1 refillable mug
$55$26
Regular Dining Plan
  • 1 table-service meal
  • 1 quick-service meal
  • 2 snacks
  • 1 refillable mug
$78.01$30.51
Deluxe Dining Plan
  • 3 meals (any combination of table-service and quick-service)
  • 2 snacks
  • 1 refillable mug
$119$47.50

Back in 2018 when they first included alcohol, there were MANY of us here on the DIS saying there was no way they would continue to let people use kids credits to purchase an adult meal, but they did. It took them two years to finally decide they were losing enough money to make the change.
I feel dense lol. I never even thought about that once! I just liked feeding our family of 4 with 2A/1C meals and stretching to grab an extra meal or two covered.

Please. There are children menus which children, 3-9, are expected to order. That has never ever changed. What has changed is Disney's ability to give you exactly what you purchased. No more, no less. The days of paying $26 and getting an adult qs meal w a cocktail is over. You will now get exactly what you are entitled.

Agreed but not happy about the extremely limited choices for the children in many places.

Meh, Disney has offered the same child choices forever. When they went to Mickey check healthy :crazy2: meals, people complained.

so you can be sure the complaints will come regardless. But why would/should Disney care? It is all about the bottom line. This will impact the bottom line.

don’t like the kids meals? Vote w your $$. Right now disney is building more and more rooms. They really don’t care your kid gets tired of chicken nuggets. Either you will pay more, your kid will continue to choke down the nuggets, or someone else will.

Just a thought, but if part of the problem is the kids having to eat strictly chicken nuggets and hamburgers from most of the kids menus....couldn't Disney just offer kid-sized portions of the adult meals for more healthy variety? :)

But it would be nice if Disney simply downsized the portions as opposed to offering the same 2-3 foods across the board.
Wouldn't work. Well, wouldn't be profitable. Lots of people don't use a dining plan. Making child size portions of adult meals would have many non-DDP adults paying for the smaller portion for themselves. The only way it might work is by requiring proof of age from everyone, and very strictly letting only children order from the children's menu.

The cost analysis may not work out. Kids meals have to be cheap To make the numbers work.

now saying that, there are menus that are different. That include different, better choices. But nine will be as good as ordering an adult meal w booze twice a day for $26. (Current price of child qs plan). With mug, 2 snacks (not currently limited) and 2 meals, an adult using the credits would be using double the cost of the plan.

Wouldn't work. Well, wouldn't be profitable. Lots of people don't use a dining plan. Making child size portions of adult meals would have many non-DDP adults paying for the smaller portion for themselves. The only way it might work is by requiring proof of age from everyone, and very strictly letting only children order from the children's menu.
Totally agree. They are not going to get into the half portion business.

They may find themselves going that way in the future regardless as the population ages. People will just share a plate. Offer smaller portions priced a bit more than splitting 1 plate and everyone wins but mostly Disney wins $.

Last edited:
They may find themselves going that way in the future regardless as the population ages. People will just share a plate. Offer smaller portion priced a bit more than splitting 1 plate and Disney everyone wins but mostly Disney wins $.
People have shared for many years at WDW. Or they order salads and shared apps for dinner or apps alone.
We've done this often. It avoids a heavy dinner every night and lets use have more choice. Add in a couple of glasses of wine, and the mouse does ok. :flower:

******* Just off the phone with a CM
Children will expected to be confined to the 'Children's Section" of all buffets going forward. That about does it for us with the Dining plan. We (DVC) are going with another family with 3 children (9, 8 & 5) in the summer. The DP makes it easier to handle $$ but I cannot imagine confining the children to the choices at the Children's section. It was going to be tough enough at Flame Tree and other places but we could get around it. Not so much at Character Dining.
There is absolutely no way they can enforce this. I wouldn’t worry one bit about it! 🙄

My recollection is that even prior to this "change," some restaurants on the dining plan required kids to order from kid's menu when using a child credit? For those who had been able to order adult meals using child credits, I can totally see how much of a benefit that was, both in cost and greater variety for the kids. Seems like the plan is not much of a benefit now for families with children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter