2nd private island

I understand Disney's desire to add a second private island area, and the need for a greater tax base for the Bahamas. But I hope they leave Eluethera alone. I love the lighthouse point area and hope it stays natural.

Disney was not actually involved here, if I remember right. it is a local effort to get someone to port there. I had heard they were pitching DCL, not the other way around.

So there was a meeting a few weeks ago with locals where Disney wasn’t involved but an independent group of pro Disney residents passed out some material and discussed pros of having Disney.

The news this week seems to confirm Disney’s interest in lighthouse point.

I just used Google Earth to measure an actual land feature at Lighthouse Point and then compared same feature on Disney graphic to scale the image...so that I could estimate pier length. The Lighthouse Point pier (from end of dock to mainland) as drawn would be roughly 0.3 miles, which is a lot shorter than it looked to me.

Comparatively, in Google Earth again, I measured the walking distance from dock to tram loading zone at Castaway Cay to be 0.1 miles. [Also, the RCCL pier in Labadee measured as 0.08 miles.]

thank you for measuring that!!!

The article from the cruise blog states "Disney’s presentation also included plans for public access to the site and conservation objectives." So it sounds like it won't be private.

We love to explore a city/island - usually walking tours or we'll hire a car for the day. We've enjoyed getting a day pass at a hotel/resort with a great pool. Love wildlife excursions such as the sea turtle release on Cozumel or cultural excursions such as Mayan ruins in Costa Maya. Also active excursions such as (river) tubing. Oh and eating local food! We never run out of things to do/see. We're more fans of the Western itinerary but recently did the Baths on Tortola with a little beach time and also snorkeling on St. John also with a little beach time. We did a back to back Southern a few years ago and don't think we spent a day on the beach but that was one of our best cruise(s) vacations. If Disney had better pools, we'd stay onboard for CC. We'll probably be doing that on the Harmony when she docks in Labadee in November.

That's too bad. We were on Great Stirrup Key, and Labadee a decade before Disney Cruise line even started, and loved Castaway Cay. The whole deserted island thing makes the cruise for us. The ship is the second attraction to us, and excursions the third. But I'm in California, and while I don't have a pool like all my neighbors, we swim twice a week year round. That's WORK to me so I can stay in shape and pig out on the food on the out islands.

The article from the cruise blog states "Disney’s presentation also included plans for public access to the site and conservation objectives." So it sounds like it won't be private.

The land use graphic has a section labeled "PUBLIC LANDS (CONSERVATION/PRESERVATION)". Maybe that's the only area that isn't private.

That's too bad. We were on Great Stirrup Key, and Labadee a decade before Disney Cruise line even started, and loved Castaway Cay. The whole deserted island thing makes the cruise for us. The ship is the second attraction to us, and excursions the third. But I'm in California, and while I don't have a pool like all my neighbors, we swim twice a week year round. That's WORK to me so I can stay in shape and pig out on the food on the out islands.

No, really it's not too bad. It's what we enjoy. I travel to learn and experience. I can drive less than an hour and be at a beach so those "private" islands are really no big deal to me. The whole deserted island thing might work if there weren't a couple of thousand people on the island with me!

No, really it's not too bad. It's what we enjoy. I travel to learn and experience. I can drive less than an hour and be at a beach so those "private" islands are really no big deal to me. The whole deserted island thing might work if there weren't a couple of thousand people on the island with me!
You, Gilligan, and 3,000 of his close personal friends.

It says in the article Scott over at Disney Cruise Line Blog posted that in the proposal they also spoke of having public access and there are already resorts on Eleuthera including Princess'. This doesn't sound like a private island...? I wonder if they're considering having people stay over night there? People have wanted to do that at CC since inception... smells like a mix of DCL and DVC to me. :scratchin

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...es-proposal-for-lighthouse-point-development/

If you read this article Princess has an island near Lighthouse Beach called Princess Cay and there is a recommendation that Disney share that island (Princess Cay) with Princess instead of trying to get Lighthouse Beach.

If you read this article Princess has an island near Lighthouse Beach called Princess Cay and there is a recommendation that Disney share that island (Princess Cay) with Princess instead of trying to get Lighthouse Beach.

The recommendation was just from someone on the island that opposes the new project. Disney would probably never agree to share and Princess would have no good incentive either.

They should buy Catalina. It's already set up for cruise ships.

:p

My wife has been wanting to go to Catalina, and I keep trying to get her to take a cruise that stops there. The 4 day cruise costs less than one night on Catalina.

Why can Disney not just develop other sides/more of Castaway Cay? When we've climbed the lookout tower, it looks like there's a lot of space there?????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter