2nd private island

It's still very unclear what "full access to the property" means in practice. Obviously, there will be buildings and locations where they can't allow public access except by employees (what Disney likes to call backstage areas). Will they extend those public access restrictions to guest areas, including food service, retail areas, beach areas? Certainly, they have said they plan to allow local vendors onto the property, but I assume those will be restricted to certain areas.

Of course, Disney has only recently made any public statements about this effort. And in none of them did they use the words "private" or "exclusive." But so far, all the talk is really aimed at Bahamians, and not cruise guests. If this sale goes through and the project continues, I'm sure Disney will find a way to market this to us in a much more palatable way. And I have no doubt that they think they can provide a very Disney-controlled experience.

I think it will be great to have another beautiful port in the Bahamas. Think of the cool double dip possibilities. My only concern is what kind of "access" will the Bahamian people have. None of us want to see a mini Nassau where locals are panhandling everywhere. Disney could set up a location where Bahamian arts and crafts are sold away from the main cruiser areas. Kind of like a really nice straw market.

I read somewhere else that there may be legal challenges from the group wanting a park arguing there was not enough public comment. The government statement I read seemed to make the argument that there was plenty of public comment.

It's a little unclear what public access means but having read several different articles all offering a glimpse into some of the thinking, it appears that there will be areas set aside for vendors to set up shop that will allow some cruise passengers to venture over for souvenirs and the like. I can't imagine Disney putting this area in a place where all cruise passengers must pass. I also don't think they would allow vendors to roam the beaches.

I could even see Disney allowing locals to access the beaches and perhaps even mingle with guests, but I also see them screening locals through a security checkpoint in and out of the area. This would be a private (meaning privately owned) beach.

I could even see Disney allowing locals to access the beaches and perhaps even mingle with guests, but I also see them screening locals through a security checkpoint in and out of the area. This would be a private (meaning privately owned) beach.

Given the near terroristic threats we have seen on here, I hope that if this does happen they are EXTREMELY screened.

Those were not even close to threats.

I’d say being that emphatic that “you are not welcome here” and the “you are now the mouse” in context of a hunt are pretty threatening.

I’d say being that emphatic that “you are not welcome here” and the “you are now the mouse” in context of a hunt are pretty threatening.

I completely disagree. I’m from a town where most people dislike tourists, despite (or even because of) the local economy being dependent on them. That doesn’t mean anyone has so much as punched one. They just complain.

The concept of Disney controlling the land while keeping it accessible to locals is interesting. If it were to be accessible the way a national park is accessible to everyone, that would be just fine. People would have to follow rules such as no panhandling, vending or disruptive behavior. As long as they're just there to tour the sights, fine.

I think Disney could do a good job of controlling that situation and preventing it from becoming a mini-Nassau. The annoying people wouldn't bother to come once they realized there was no way to get money from the passengers. And it could be very pleasant and interesting to mingle with non-Disney Bahamians who are there just to enjoy the natural beauty.

Given the near terroristic threats we have seen on here, I hope that if this does happen they are EXTREMELY screened.

I would hardly call those threats. They were the desperate cries from someone passionate about their position who didn't get the support they were hoping for. Furthermore, judging all by the actions of one is not a good habit.

The concept of Disney controlling the land while keeping it accessible to locals is interesting. If it were to be accessible the way a national park is accessible to everyone, that would be just fine. People would have to follow rules such as no panhandling, vending or disruptive behavior. As long as they're just there to tour the sights, fine.

I think Disney could do a good job of controlling that situation and preventing it from becoming a mini-Nassau. The annoying people wouldn't bother to come once they realized there was no way to get money from the passengers. And it could be very pleasant and interesting to mingle with non-Disney Bahamians who are there just to enjoy the natural beauty.
I agree with this post but how do you let the "right" people in and keep the "wrong" people out?

I think some of you all may be overly concerned about the local Eleuthera residents coming into the Disney area. The population of Eleuthera is very small, maybe 10,000 people. Rock Sound is not far from where Disney would build their facilities and I would describe it as a small town, maybe even not that. Perhaps 1000 people live in Rock Sound. On the days where a ship is in port, the Disney facility would become the largest town in Eleuthera. Having been to Eleuthera several times, I don't think I've ever seen anyone there offering to braid my hair. This is not Nassau with hundreds of thousands of people.

I think some of you all may be overly concerned about the local Eleuthera residents coming into the Disney area. The population of Eleuthera is very small, maybe 10,000 people. Rock Sound is not far from where Disney would build their facilities and I would describe it as a small town, maybe even not that. Perhaps 1000 people live in Rock Sound. On the days where a ship is in port, the Disney facility would become the largest town in Eleuthera. Having been to Eleuthera several times, I don't think I've ever seen anyone there offering to braid my hair. This is not Nassau with hundreds of thousands of people.

However, knowing there will be thousands of people coming off these ships almost daily (or atleasr, 4 or 5 times a week), to not think there will be some Bahamians (from Eleuthera, or even other islands) who at least try to come to the area and push their "goods" or "services" is naive. Right now, we just have to have faith Disney will put the protections in place to keep guests from dealing with that.

However, knowing there will be thousands of people coming off these ships almost daily (or atleasr, 4 or 5 times a week), to not think there will be some Bahamians (from Eleuthera, or even other islands) who at least try to come to the area and push their "goods" or "services" is naive. Right now, we just have to have faith Disney will put the protections in place to keep guests from dealing with that.

Well, as I stated previously, on multiple trips to Eleuthera I've never experienced anything like this from the Bahamians who live there. Eleuthera is not particularly close to any islands that have population, and the ferry from Nassau takes several hours each way. Princess already has a cruise stop in Eleuthera. The reviews from that don't seem to indicate that locals are an issue. I am significantly more concerned about the damage that cruise visitors will cause to the natural beauty of Eleuthera, then I am of the Bahamians causing any issue for cruise visitors.

I completely disagree. I’m from a town where most people dislike tourists, despite (or even because of) the local economy being dependent on them. That doesn’t mean anyone has so much as punched one. They just complain.
I agree with you. I am from Charleston and Charleston natives hate the cruise ships.

I agree with you. I am from Charleston and Charleston natives hate the cruise ships.

I live close to WDW so we literally get millions of visitors annually to this immediate area where I live. I do not hate the tourists. But I do highly dislike the insane driving habits of many of them. :rolleyes: Backing down on-ramps, crossing 3 lanes of heavy traffic to "keep from missing their exit", when it would have been FAR safer to just get off on the next one since they didn't know where they were. I mean, folks are going to get lost, but for the love of pete, PLEASE do not endanger dozens of others' lives to accommodate your lost-ness. :sad2: Pull over and ask someone, most likely they will be happy to help you. :thumbsup2

Once the new ships come out, Disney may want to leave the Wonder on the West Coast, but the question is, where would it home port and what would it do? They could heading to the South Pacific after Alaska and maybe even as far as Australia, New Zealand or the Philippines. I can totally see Disney heading from Vancouver to Hawaii then on to Fiji or French Polynesia.[/QUOTE]

Very neat ideas and I'd love to sign up but I wonder how they'd continue the Panama Canal route. While the PANAMAX locks can accommodate them, the Dream Class is too tall to fit under the Bridge of the Americas. The rumor is that the new 3 ships will be comparable in size to the Dream, so that means bringing Magic back to N. America & she picks up the Alaska/West Coast runs, or Wonder continues her routine while the big ships run in the Caribbean/European waters. I'd love to do a Straits of Magellan cruise (where I'm not working! :))

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter