3 Unique Pictures to Summarize My D23 Expo Experience

Buffalo1987

Earning My Ears
Z7sx68r.jpg

#3 John Lasseter is a surprise panel guest at the very empty "Eat Like Walt" panel Sunday morning. Disney legend Jim Cora said that Walt Disney invented the phrase "theme park" to differentiate Disney from all other amusement parks.

eV2ideV.jpg

#2 The young guy in tan shorts and black shirt talks to his girlfriend about the "building in the back" he's working on in Star Wars land. I later ask him and find out that he's an Imagineer just casually walking around the expo. He did not elaborate on what building he's working on or additional SWL details.

And I confirmed with an Imagineer at another panel that SWL ideation meetings started the very day the Lucas contract was signed. He said that SWL is an unprecedented fast-track project at Imagineering.

Q1xWkeD.jpg

#1 Even though it's blue, I call this the "golden wristband." I was involved in the Pixar panel riots, along with 1,000 of my closest friends. It was a terrible first-ever panel experience for me but Disney absolutely made it right. Everyone was given priority access to either Marvel Live Action (grey band) or Parks & Resorts (blue band). To top it off, we were seated in our own section at the panel and cast members gave out 1-day tickets to Disneyland to each of us at the end of the panel. They went above and beyond saying sorry.

Thank you for sharing.

First I am glad Disney seemed to "make it right" for those having had to deal with the fiasco with the animation panel. Guest recovery is definitely something that Disney usually does better than other companies so is a standout reason I support them

I find photo #2 so fascinating and must be such a cool experience for that young man. I know on one of the video updates Steve Porter mentioned he was in looking at the model and looked up and saw John Lasseter there next to him also casually examining the model

Nice to hear some "old school" great customer service. Makes me proud of the Disney I know and love.

The "Eat Like Walt" panel was terrific. I think it wasn't a big draw because the description in the program was kind of ambiguous. I'd heard of Marcie's book before and was pleasantly surprised to find out that she was the panel's moderator. And hearing Cora, Lasseter and the Disney granddaughters reminiscing about Walt was priceless.

I agree that number 2 had to be a unique experience knowing that someone working on the biggest transformation to the two major parks was just casually looking at the creation he is helping to bring to life. Great knowing that Disney made it right with the pixar panel mix up. They could've just stopped at the offer of the choice in two panels but the 1 day ticket was a nice touch! Nice to know the old Disney way isn't completely dead!

What was more surreal about the Imagineer guy was that he looked like he was roughly the same age as me (30). I'm like "that could've been me."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter