30 day countdown - Aug. 2010 PTR - now with 40 year old WDW photos!

The boys are both at a camp this week, so we don’t have to be too creative as they’re eager to get to camp each morning and exhausted by pick up time. Day 17 was another set of safety cards, including one that says “It’s a rope, not a ride.” After being at a museum with them last week, they really needed this one! I lost count of how many times I asked them to stop playing with the ropes there, and we stayed less than 45 minutes! Today, day 18, I gave them more fruit snacks for their boxes.

Planning got mostly put aside last night and tonight as DH and I decided whether or not to prebuy our heating oil for next winter and tried to figure out some new information about my FIL’s will. Exciting stuff around here! :lmao: I probably won’t get much planning done over the next few days either as DH is flying cross-country for work and won’t be home for the rest of the week. I did find a cute little backpack on sale at LL Bean that I ordered. I wanted an adult sized pack to hike with here at home anyway, and when I saw one review mention how great the pack was at Disney, I was sold!

I was hoping to put up a new picture of our sticker strip, but my hard drive is full! 75 GB, and it’s full?!? Anyway, I’m working on deleting and offloading to my portable HD so I can download the pictures. :surfweb:

I’m thinking we need to practice some of our PhotoPass poses. It would be nice to be able to be quick and efficient with them, especially if there’s a bunch of people waiting for pictures. Too crazy? :banana: As long as the boys don’t tell anyone...!

We're getting closer! I love that my countdown is under a month now! I got my mickey mail of the tags and vouchers last night! I can't wait to start packing, but then I"ll forget something!

Here's a photo of both of them on day 18 with our strip of countdown stickers. It's finally over both of their heads, after being at about the little one's knees when we started! Today's day 19, but they were such a rush to get to camp we haven't taken off the sticker yet. I'm going to have to move the strip down so they can reach!

We're getting closer! I love that my countdown is under a month now! I got my mickey mail of the tags and vouchers last night! I can't wait to start packing, but then I"ll forget something!

I hate to wish my summer away, but I'm so glad we're going in just over a week! I know exactly what you mean about starting to pack -- I'm trying to hold off just a little longer, although there's a big bag of stuff in my closet ready and waiting to go in the suitcases!

I dedicated a whole room in our house to put and hide all the Disney things I'm bringing with us. We're going to take a HUGE bag for both of us, two smaller suitcases for carry ons, and two personal items bags. I went upstairs last night and sorted all the things into Room Decorations, For the Park, and General Trip stuff. LOL I have too much free time!

Joining in! You leave so soon, so I guess I'm just in time! I love the stickers, and the idea of giving them something every day, that sounds like so much fun! Your countdown chain is getting short!

It sounds like you'll have some challenges at the parks with your DS8, but it really seems like you have it under control and you know exactly what to do, which is perfect.

I can't wait to hear more!

Joining in! You leave so soon, so I guess I'm just in time! I love the stickers, and the idea of giving them something every day, that sounds like so much fun! Your countdown chain is getting short!

It sounds like you'll have some challenges at the parks with your DS8, but it really seems like you have it under control and you know exactly what to do, which is perfect.

I can't wait to hear more!

Hello! :flower3: I'm so glad someone else is reading, too! We are having lots of fun with the sticker chain each morning! The next week's worth of presents get more interesting, at least in my opinion!

It’s been quiet here, WDW-wise. DH has been away and, as I’ve mentioned before, the boys are at camp this week and very focused on camp, and in particular, catching frogs. On day 19, they each got a pin. DS 5 got a Minnie as a princess one -- yet another he’s happy to trade away!

Day 20 was a bit more exciting, as it marked 10 days until our trip! :cool1: For their present, I gave them Mickey paper plates and napkins to use for dinner. DS 8’s guidebook has a 10 day countdown for kids in it, so we started that, too. Our task for today was to start planning a Disney dinner party (I think that’s for 2 nights before our trip, but I can’t remember). I told them I had saved more Mickey plates and napkins and they chose to have make-your-own-salads for dinner. :confused3 I was really worried that I might have brought the wrong kids home from camp -- they get really dirty, so it’s possible! :lmao: Salads? My boys? But ok, they’ll be eating a year’s worth of chicken nuggets and mac and cheese while we’re there, so let’s start on a healthy note!

After the boys went to bed, I checked my email to find one from Disney saying that my vacation was close. I had forgotten all about online check in until then! I did the check in, which really ought to be a more exciting process, but that’s ok.

Today, day 21, is the last day of camp and my birthday! :cake: The power went off a couple of times last night, so I didn’t sleep well (too darn humid here without the ceiling fan blowing right on me!), and we had just enough time before camp to pull off today’s sticker. That turned out to be for the best!

I said earlier that DH was away this week on business, but I didn’t mention he was in CA, in a hotel 12 minutes away from DL!!! He had just enough time one night to zip into Goofy’s Candy Company and pick up treats for the kids! :woohoo: The gummy characters were their gifts for today, to save to eat on the plane on the way there. They were really pleased with them, especially when they realized that Daddy had gotten them all the way out in CA! (However, there was a moment or two of concern when they thought he might have gone into the park and ridden rides without them!:lmao:)

One of my birthday presents was the hidden Mickey book I wanted! My new backpack arrived today, and it seems like the perfect size to hold everything, including the book. I also got a new beach chair -- what are the chances I can get to the beach and read my new book in the next week? :rotfl:

For DS 8’s countdown, we’re supposed to make a simple schedule for MK. We’ve already figured out our must/want to dos and I have a ride schedule planned for the first night, but it’s time for me to get cracking on the other days. We need a plan for rope drop so we’re not wandering aimlessly!

Tomorrow my extended family comes over for a birthday brunch. I asked my dad to bring the slide projector and the slides from our Disney trip in 1971 or ‘72, the only time I went as a kid. I probably just gave away my age with that, huh? :rolleyes1 I’m not going to bore my party guests with the slides, but I sure plan to bore the boys later! My dad estimates the slide projector is 45 years old or so (at least something is older than I am), so we’re not sure it’ll work. If not, I’ll have to figure something out.

First of all, Happy Birthday! party:

The slides sound like so much fun! I bet your boys will enjoy it.

I love that you're giving DS5 all the girly pins to trade. It's a great idea, and I bet it's fun picking which ones he'll really hate!

It's always good to have a slow week. Make your own salads sounds delicious, but nothing my DS would go for. I'd be over the top happy if I could get that boy to eat a salad!

Totally jealous that your DH was 12 minutes from DL. MY DH would have gone late one night and ridden all the rides alone, for sure. So cute that he brought them back candy though!

I bet the hidden Mickey book will be really cool. You better do some fast reading though!

Hope your birthday brunch is a lot of fun! :cake:

First of all, Happy Birthday! party:

The slides sound like so much fun! I bet your boys will enjoy it.

I love that you're giving DS5 all the girly pins to trade. It's a great idea, and I bet it's fun picking which ones he'll really hate!

It's always good to have a slow week. Make your own salads sounds delicious, but nothing my DS would go for. I'd be over the top happy if I could get that boy to eat a salad!

Totally jealous that your DH was 12 minutes from DL. MY DH would have gone late one night and ridden all the rides alone, for sure. So cute that he brought them back candy though!

I bet the hidden Mickey book will be really cool. You better do some fast reading though!

Hope your birthday brunch is a lot of fun! :cake:

Thanks for the birthday wishes! We did get to see the slides, and they were great! (I'll describe them in my PTR.)

The salads are confusing me, too. They resigned themselves to eating one at the beach house we stayed at in July, but that was the first time they agreed to eat one! I'm guessing they liked it but don't want to really admit it. :confused3

My birthday brunch this morning was fun. The boys had a great time playing with their cousins, but the best part was... the slide projector worked! As I said earlier, I wasn’t going to make everyone sit through the slides, but my dad sure did. I think we went through the tray three times! The kids were more fascinated by the slide projector as I don’t think any of them had seen one before. Eventually they realized that the people in the pictures were Grammie and Grandpa and Mommy/Auntie (they don't know my aunt, uncle, and cousins who came with us well and my sister hadn't been born yet), and then they watched the slides. It turns out the slides are dated 1973, although I still suspect they were from 1972.

Other than some of the LOVELY :lmao: clothing we’re wearing -- a couple of pictures from Christmas of ‘72 have particularly charming outfits -- some Disney things never change! The floral Mickey in front of the train station as you come into MK -- same! Tigger character -- same! Dumbo ride -- same! View of the castle from Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse -- same! Country Bear Jamboree -- same! Did you know there was once a Hallmark store on Main Street, along with flower vendors? We also had a photo of the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride. A couple of photos were even shot from the old skyway ride! A photo of the train clearly shows construction in the background, but I’m not sure what it was. I’ll have to look at a map.

Some things were really different. Pooh used to wear a red sweater that says “Pooh” and have a honey pot on his head. The parade pictures were the best! There were no floats. All of the characters walked, and I think Pluto is wearing a cape! Mickey Mouse led the marching band like a drum major, and all of the dwarves were marching too. Here’s the most amazing thing, especially considering there were 4 girls on the trip, all under the age of about 10 or 11 -- there are no princesses to be seen! Not in the parade, not in the character greetings, no where! I’m guessing that there weren’t any face characters in the park at that point.

I really wish I could scan and upload a few pictures for people to see here. Despite the fact you’d have no interest in seeing my family, which we found hilarious, it’s really neat to look at almost 40 year old photos of Disney. Anyone know how I can do that quickly and cheaply?

For the treat today, the boys simply got another pin. It was a busy day! I’m not even sure what DS 8’s 10 day countdown involves, but I’ll look later!

Do you still have the projector? I bet you can take a picture of the screen without a flash and we can see it! I would love to see some of them, it sounds great! What a treat!

Do you still have the projector? I bet you can take a picture of the screen without a flash and we can see it! I would love to see some of them, it sounds great! What a treat!

Ooh -- what a great idea! Yes, he left the projector! I'm off to try right now!

Here are some of the pictures we took in 1973. They're actually slides, but thank you to Lexmas for giving me the idea to photograph them so I could post them to share. The quality is seriously lacking, but I think they're fun anyway! I know they're huge, but it's the best way to see them. Seeing as this is really my PTR, I'll post the appropriate ones from each day!

On our first day, we'll arrive:
IMG_0658.jpg

That's me with the ice cream cone!

Then we're planning on hopping on the train to go around the park (I'd call it a tradition, but seeing as this is only our second trip....):
IMG_0654.jpg

Anybody know what the construction in the background is? I think that's part of the Speedway there on the left.

The plan is to grab Buzz fastpasses and do a few Fantasyland rides if the lines aren't too long:
IMG_0655.jpg

That's my dad with me in the teacup.

Then we have a dinner ADR at the Plaza:
IMG_0656.jpg

That's my mom with me. Like my hat? It's got Mickey on one side and Donald on the other. My cousin (who's a year older than I am) had a matching one!

I love love love the pictures! How fun!

DH and I spent WAY too much time trying to figure out where that train picture was. Best we can figure maybe that "track" is the rivers of america drained and that's right by where big thunder is, because the train doesn't get that close to autotopia. DH is totally obsessed with trying to figure it out now!

I love love love the pictures! How fun!

DH and I spent WAY too much time trying to figure out where that train picture was. Best we can figure maybe that "track" is the rivers of america drained and that's right by where big thunder is, because the train doesn't get that close to autotopia. DH is totally obsessed with trying to figure it out now!

That sounds just like us! :lmao:

We were wondering if the train got rerouted at some point. We have friends visiting this afternoon, and he's a huge WDW fan. I'm going to show the slides to him -- maybe he'll know and save us all! :)

We're going to start our day at MK.
IMG_0634.jpg

I swear that picture could have been taken last week.

DS 5 really wants to ride the trolley. We got lucky enough to be able to last year!
IMG_0636.jpg

Then we're going to take the monorail...
IMG_0631.jpg

(DS 8's first comment was that the colors are different!)

to the CR for lunch at Chef Mickey's!
IMG_0643.jpg

This was taken from the old skyway ride -- see the cable in the upper left?

We're spending the afternoon at AK, so no 1973 photos for that! :)

Yay for more 1973 pictures! It is funny how timeless it all is, because some of the things really do look just the same!

You'll have to ask your friend...I haven't found anything about the train being re-routed, but DH found some old maps suggesting that Autopia used to be larger and used to come closer to the train tracks...apparently it was re-done at some point. So it may be that after all!

Happy Belated Birthday! I was home this weekend with my folks. Those photos are so cool. Yeah for trip time soon!

Happy Belated Birthday! I was home this weekend with my folks. Those photos are so cool. Yeah for trip time soon!

Thanks! We spent today with some good friends of ours, and my friend and I decided that even the nicest men can just be clueless sometimes (and didn't her DH prove that point about a minute later!). (Just dawned on me that I'm responding to something in your PTR, but you'll understand! :))

PHOTO MYSTERY SOLVED! My Disney fan friend has decided the picture of the train (in post #34) shows the construction of Space Mt. in the background and the speedway in the foreground. We looked at a couple of park maps as well as satellite images on Bing and Google maps and were even able to figure out where my dad was standing when he took the picture. The concrete bank from the speedway is even still there. He also solved another photo mystery for me, but I haven't posted that one yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter