30 day countdown - Aug. 2010 PTR - now with 40 year old WDW photos!

PHOTO MYSTERY SOLVED! My Disney fan friend has decided the picture of the train (in post #34) shows the construction of Space Mt. in the background and the speedway in the foreground. We looked at a couple of park maps as well as satellite images on Bing and Google maps and were even able to figure out where my dad was standing when he took the picture. The concrete bank from the speedway is even still there. He also solved another photo mystery for me, but I haven't posted that one yet.

Interesting. For some reason we had found something saying space mountain didn't open until 1978 and that's why we thought it didn't make sense. Can't wait to hear about photo mystery #2!

Day 23 was busy too as we had friends visiting. The boys got the “What Will You Celebrate?” luggage tags, which I thought were going to be a big one, but they were much more excited by the Disney gift cards our friends brought them as late birthday presents! I’m a little worried that DS 5 is going to choose lots of stuffed animals that aren’t going to fit into suitcases.... :eek: We never even looked at DS 8’s countdown!

Today, day 24, was the last of the pins, and the boys got postcards from their fairy godmailer -- thank you! :banana: They were really pleased.

It was supposed to be a busy Disney day, working on schedules and starting to think about clothing. However, I got a phone call from my superintendent this afternoon that turned my world upside down. :upsidedow Please understand that I’m not upset but it completely changes my life and will have a small impact on the rest of my family as well. Instead of teaching a half time kindergarten class, I’m most likely being switched to a full time 4th grade at a different school. I was planning on having both boys in school full time and having my mornings to myself to take care of the house and errands and (most importantly to me) have the time to start an exercise program to lose the 20 pounds I need to get rid of to be healthier. I need a bit of time to mourn that loss, and I’m freaked out about having only TWO days to set up a new classroom and figure out what I’m doing before the teachers have to report back to school. I haven’t taught 4th grade in over 10 years, although I liked it when I had it. But I was blessed to have the job share as long as I did and to have it when my boys were still at home. Now that they’ll be in school full time, the actual change will have a small impact on their lives. I haven’t had a lot of time to process the whole thing as I needed to call two people whose work lives will be disrupted by this change and ended up talking to them for a couple of hours this afternoon.

Needless to say, that completely derailed my Disney planning! I’m going to do something mindless tonight. I’m not sure I can concentrate and I’d hate to get to POR and discover I didn’t get something taken care of, like packing shoes or bathing suits! :scared1:

Well, since I always hate when something is thrown at me like that, I'm going to say sorry that they caught you off guard and changed it all up! I'm sure once you get adjusted to the idea, it will all turn out well. It sounds like it's good timing that both boys are in school now though. I admire Mom's who can work and run their home though, there's no way I could do both at the same time!

Sounds like a good idea not to do anything disney related! You certainly don't want to forget things because of other distractions!

Only FIVE days left for you!!!!

Once I went to Balitmore to visit a friend and I forgot to pack shirts! I had the one on my back and that was it for the whole weekend!

On the other note: We haven't talked to each other since 12:30pm on Sunday. Read my PTR for more of clueless guy behavior.

My goodness you leave soon! Come back and update us on how all the prep work is going!

Thinking of you...I hope your DS5's appointment with the ENT went well! :hug:

Thanks! We're so pleased -- he got a clean bill of health! The lymph node is still enlarged and will probably be like that for the rest of his life, but it shouldn't be a problem for him. Such a relief!

(Now for the worrywart part... I'll probably keep checking it every couple weeks or so and daily if he gets sick. If it gets larger again and the pediatrician wants us to go to the ENT, I'll probably skip the local guy, even though he's very nice, and go straight to the pediatric ENT at Yale. I know I should be letting it all go, but I'm the kind of person who needs a plan for the worst case scenario.)

Back to the happy part! Or slightly freaking out part because I've barely packed a thing and haven't planned a single piece of clothing outside of our Mickey Mouse shirts! :scared1:

I’m still not back on track after the shock of the switch back on Monday. Everyday this week has found me at one school or the other, talking with both principals and other staff members. This morning we finished packing up my personal belongings from my classroom and brought them home. My dining room is a real mess!

Day 25 was a busy errand day for us, but we managed to squeeze a beach trip in. The boys got a fruit snack for their treat -- the little boxes are almost full! This was when it really dawned on me that we were leaving in 4 days and I was so unprepared that the suitcases were still in the attic! We did get those out and I also made the window decorations.

On day 26, I gave the boys the Tomorrowland Speedway licenses they got when we went last year. I started to put the odds and ends into the suitcases and even found some plastic bowls to take for our cereal, so there’s one thing off the shopping list. DS 8’s countdown has been ignored all week, because he doesn’t think of it (and neither do I) until about bedtime and by then they’re tired and bickering and they are not staying up one minute later. However, we remembered to look at it early yesterday, and the “job” was to make some popcorn and watch your favorite Disney movie. Now, for several reasons, we don’t watch movies and TV in our house (until the kids go to bed! :)), so we watched parts of the planning DVD I had ordered last year. We even had popcorn with it. I wish I had thought to order the new one, because this one didn’t touch on Space Mountain (I’m guessing because it was closed for most of 2009), and DS 8 is really working hard at gathering the courage to ride it. With his sensory issues, this is huge. I’d love for him to conquer the fear and do it, and if it turns out he hates it or it was too much for him, oh well. Having him learn to work though his fear would be will worth whatever we’d have to do to help him regroup.

Today is day 27. We ran out the door to my classroom first thing so we could get it over with, so we didn’t take down the sticker or do the present yet. Actually, I think 30 days was a bit too long, as the boys aren’t half as eager as they used to be. We need to remember to do it before lunch though, because I’m giving them a plate and napkin to use! The plan for the rest of the afternoon is to buy the snacks and other last minute things we need. I also need to get cracking on the laundry and packing! :scared1: The weather here isn’t very sunny so it’s the perfect day to drag them to the store. Besides, we were at the beach Mon. and Tues. and at a pond for a picnic and frog catching yesterday!

I'll try to add some more photos tonight. I've got great parade ones!

Just found your trip report and am joining in! :)

I love to hear that someone else saves all sorts of stuff for their trip too. I was just going through our packet from last year and found meal receipts. I think I was trying to save them all to see if the deluxe dining was really worth the extra money (which I know it is w/out lookin at the receipts). I also brought home every shampoo and soap! Ha ha. It still sits in our cabinet. Thanks to you though it will be coming out soon. Help get our countdown on the way!

I LOVE the old pics. I could sit and look at them all day long! Thanks for sharing them with us! :thumbsup2

I also love the idea of the boxes. I've been picking up items for our DD4, but I hide them and will give them to her on the plane. I fill her backpack and then let her open it on the plane. I might have to steal your idea. We'll see! ;)

Can't wait to hear more. Only a few more days and you'll be off! Enjoy! :banana:

First of all, I'm so glad to hear that DS5 is okay!

Second, wow you have been busy! Just what you needed a few days before your trip, more chaos! Sounds like you've been able to get a lot in though.

What are you doing for window decorations? (Sorry if you said before and I don't remember.)

I love the planning DVD. I look forward to hearing about whether your DS8 conquered his fear!

I'm sure you will manage to get everything packed in time. I plan and plan and plan and then I pack at the very last minute. Every single time. You'll feel even more relaxed once you're there after all this craziness!

Only 2 days now! I think I'm more excited for your trip than my own! I keep saying I'm going to start packing early so I dont' feel rushed, but I haven't started and I'm still buying things for the trip!

I hope you have a blast!

Just found your trip report and am joining in! :)

I love to hear that someone else saves all sorts of stuff for their trip too. I was just going through our packet from last year and found meal receipts. I think I was trying to save them all to see if the deluxe dining was really worth the extra money (which I know it is w/out lookin at the receipts). I also brought home every shampoo and soap! Ha ha. It still sits in our cabinet. Thanks to you though it will be coming out soon. Help get our countdown on the way!

I LOVE the old pics. I could sit and look at them all day long! Thanks for sharing them with us! :thumbsup2

I also love the idea of the boxes. I've been picking up items for our DD4, but I hide them and will give them to her on the plane. I fill her backpack and then let her open it on the plane. I might have to steal your idea. We'll see! ;)

Can't wait to hear more. Only a few more days and you'll be off! Enjoy! :banana:

Welcome! :flower3: I can't believe it's just 2 days! The stuff saving is a real problem, at least in DH's eyes, but it's come in handy for this countdown! Several items were straight out of my Disney box. They just loved the shampoo!

The pictures have been fun. I've been sending them on Facebook to my cousin (the smallest blond girl in the pics, although I'm not sure I've posted any of those) and we've been having a great time. I'm glad you like them too! :)

Thanks for reading! I'm hoping to get the next installment up later with more pictures in it, old and new!

First of all, I'm so glad to hear that DS5 is okay!

Second, wow you have been busy! Just what you needed a few days before your trip, more chaos! Sounds like you've been able to get a lot in though.

What are you doing for window decorations? (Sorry if you said before and I don't remember.)

I love the planning DVD. I look forward to hearing about whether your DS8 conquered his fear!

I'm sure you will manage to get everything packed in time. I plan and plan and plan and then I pack at the very last minute. Every single time. You'll feel even more relaxed once you're there after all this craziness!

I can't wait to find out if he rides in the end, either! :rotfl: Now he's even considering Splash Mt.!

I took a pic of my window decorations but haven't gotten it off the camera yet. I took little Disney cutouts and put them on ribbons to hang from the windows with suction cups. I'll work on getting the pic!

You're right -- I can't wait to get there! :)

Only 2 days now! I think I'm more excited for your trip than my own! I keep saying I'm going to start packing early so I dont' feel rushed, but I haven't started and I'm still buying things for the trip!

I hope you have a blast!

Right there with you on the packing! :lmao:

I got the official word today that I will be teaching 4th grade at a different school. Those two parts don’t bother me, but the working full time instead of part time does. I haven’t done that since my oldest was born, and I’m not sure I want to be doing it now. Still, neither of the boys will be home, and it’ll mean only an extra 15 minutes or so a day in the afterschool care program (ooh -- an hour instead of 45 minutes!). I’ve had a positive attitude all week but I’m letting go of it today -- it’ll be back tomorrow, or at least replaced by last minute travel panic! Ok, deep breath, and focus on something more important -- we're going to Disney! (Positive attitude already returning, thanks to a quick break to check email and finding one from a new teammate with lots of terrific info -- I owe her! :worship:)

We’re on day 28 now -- in two days we’ll be in the Magic Kingdom! There’s only one sticker left on the pantry door! :cloud9: The gift was the MME tags for the suitcases, although I’m not letting them stick them on the suitcases until they’re packed and ready to go. Last year we switched out suitcases at the last minute, so I would hate to risk that this year.

We did finish our shopping yesterday, and last night I made our Disney book. This morning we went to my (old) school and bound it, so all I have to do is add our info for dining and PhotoPass ideas. I’ll try to get a picture of it on here later.

DS 8’s countdown item is a Disney party. He’s making mouse ears right now for us to wear (that was a countdown thing we skipped earlier in the week), and we harvested green beans, tomatoes, peas, peppers, and cucumbers from our garden to put in our salads. I must admit, this has been our best garden year ever! I’ve never gotten so many peppers before!

I still haven’t finished the laundry so I can work on the packing! :scared1: There’s a load in now and probably two more to go. DH has already been warned -- don’t wear anything you may want to take to WDW. My current problem is the lack of underwear for DS 5. There’s not a single pair in his drawer, nor do I see any in the hamper or in the clean yet unfolded load. :confused3 I really hope it somehow all ended up in the load that’s in the washer now! Seriously, the kid has more underwear than anyone else in the house.

I've been called to go help with the Mickey ear project! How'd it get to be 4:30 in the afternoon, anyway?

ETA: Sorry, I forgot to shrink the pics and just don't have time right now, so they're huge!

Here are a couple of overdue photos:

The Mickey ears DS 8 made, complete with "hidden" Mickeys:
IMG_0737.jpg

I didn't think to take any photos of us wearing them tonight!

My window decorations:
IMG_0736.jpg

Not a great photo as I didn't think of using a better backdrop than one of the suitcases.

And the cute cover of my Disney info book, with our ADR and PP info in it (or it will be in it eventually ;)).
IMG_0739.jpg

I think I got it from Natalie's PhotoBucket site.

If I get more time tonight, I'll try to do a post with the old parade pics, but right now, I need to start packing!

I'm sure all will work out with the job. It's always hard to do something new like that. Sounds like it won't impact the kids schedules much, but I'm sure working full time will make getting all the house stuff done much harder.

You are so very close! I can't believe it!

I'm jealous of your garden...ours was a complete failure. We had plants for peppers, zucchini and pumpkins and we got one pepper before all the plants died and now the pumpkins plants are starting to grow out of our garden. Big disappointment...maybe we'll have an amazing pumpkin crop or something!

I love the ears. Too cute. And the decorations for the window are great! So simple, but adorable! I might have to try something like that!

The disney info book is cute, and I bet it will be very helpful!

Good luck with all the packing!

Its all so cute! The ears, the decorations, the book. I'm so excited for you. I hope you guys have an amazing time... I mean how could you not!

Thanks for the best wishes! Today was a bit crazy as we leave the house at 4:15 AM tomorrow (we don't live close to an airport, so we have to do some driving first)! Just a couple more things to do tonight and I'm going to bed super early! Sorry I never got the parade pictures up -- I'll work on it when I get home. At this time tomorrow, we'll be in the MK -- so excited! :mickeyjum:mickeyjum I'll fill you in when we get back!

Oh good, I was just about to try and find your PTR to say goodbye! You made it easy for me!

Have a great trip! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back! Enjoy yourself! Say hi to Mickey for me!

(Oh, and if you go on Ellen's energy adventure, can you try and remember what color her t-shirt is that she's wearing under her button up shirt? I need to know for my costume! If you forget, or don't read this in time, that's okay!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter