4 and 5 day passes now must show ID and use separate entrance

...they don't even teach cursive in most California schools anymore- I had to teach my 12 year old how to sign her name in cursive because she didn't know how to make the letters- even now she never writes in cursive and her signature is different every time... hey Disney- try THUMB prints- way easier...:rolleyes1

That could be a big problem for her when she becomes an adult.

credit cards
banks
checks
cashing paychecks
mortgage paperwork
rental contracts
buying a car
college applications

Sooooo many places where you are required to sign your name.

Do students today not learn how to sign their own name????

- Dreams

I'm not sure what part of CA you are in but we are in So. Cal. and both of my kids learned cursive in 3rd grade and had to use it exclusively in 4th grade. My sister is in No. Cal and both her kids had to use cursive in elementary school also. I was under the impression that it is still part of the state's standard curriculum.
I just looked, it is. In fact, from the Sac Bee today:

"Several states, including California, Georgia and Massachusetts, have added a cursive requirement to the national standards, while most others, such as Indiana, Illinois and Hawaii have left it as optional for school districts. Some states, like Utah, are still studying the issue."

I have several relatives who are teachers in grades 1-4 in several different districts in northern CA, and it is a requirement here. My daughter works in 2nd grade, and her GATE kids start mid 2nd grade.

That could be a big problem for her when she becomes an adult.

credit cards
banks
checks
cashing paychecks
mortgage paperwork
rental contracts
buying a car
college applications

Sooooo many places where you are required to sign your name.

Do students today not learn how to sign their own name????

- Dreams

You have to sign your name, but there's no rule saying that you have to sign in cursive. I learned cursive in elementary school, by high school it had become unnecessary, and college, well, everything was typed by then (I am almost 30 now, for reference). I sign my checks, contracts, credit cards, etc. with an elaborate "doctor-esque" signature of my initials but it is definitely not in cursive, and I've never encountered any type of problem.

I just looked, it is. In fact, from the Sac Bee today:

"Several states, including California, Georgia and Massachusetts, have added a cursive requirement to the national standards, while most others, such as Indiana, Illinois and Hawaii have left it as optional for school districts. Some states, like Utah, are still studying the issue."

I have several relatives who are teachers in grades 1-4 in several different districts in northern CA, and it is a requirement here. My daughter works in 2nd grade, and her GATE kids start mid 2nd grade.

There is no requirement after 3rd grade, and in fact they don't even teach Denealian writing in kinder anymore, just ball and stick in many schools so the kids aren't ready for cursive. My daughters are in 7th and 9th grade. The 9th grader had cursive in 3rd-5th, but not to the same extent most of us adults had it and hasn't used it since. The 7th grader did not have it after the basics in 3rd grade. All their cousins spread out around northern California have had the same experience. As for papers and essays- almost always they need to be typed anymore- even for 6th graders unless parents say it is not possible.

I asked a few years ago and was told it is not a requirement, it is not a test area and therefore there is no room for it. I too asked about signing their name and was told- they will figure out a way. We must get away from teaching to the tests...

You have to sign your name, but there's no rule saying that you have to sign in cursive. I learned cursive in elementary school, by high school it had become unnecessary, and college, well, everything was typed by then (I am almost 30 now, for reference). I sign my checks, contracts, credit cards, etc. with an elaborate "doctor-esque" signature of my initials but it is definitely not in cursive, and I've never encountered any type of problem.
Same here, but I am 53.

My personal opinion, cursive is an unnecessary art. My son, who is dysgraphic, has a signature. Most legal work has to be printed clearly. If you file court papers untyped, it must be printed. If I file anything for a governmental agency, and don't type it, it must be printed. With most docs though, they are now filed out online.

Yes. We are at DLR now on day 2 of our 4 day passes. We all had to give them our original ticket, write our name on a piece of paper so they could type it into a machine to print out new tickets (there are 6 people in our party). Everytime we have entered or park-hopped, they've checked our ticket AND ID. It really slowed things down yesterday morning, taking over 30 minutes to get into the park. Otherwise it's been fine because crowds are really low right now.

I am happy DL is finally checking IDs. The companies with offices near the theme parks that buy multi day tickets and "rent" them out for 1 or 2 days to people are making a fortune off their scam. People getting tickets from them save maybe 20bucks a day off gate price which is the deal for them. Sadly, in the past, a few people would get caught by the finger scan and have the ticket confiscated. Having names on tickets and showing ID will stop this traffic and maybe slow down the price increases that the rest of us have to endure every year!

Same here, but I am 53.

My personal opinion, cursive is an unnecessary art. My son, who is dysgraphic, has a signature. Most legal work has to be printed clearly. If you file court papers untyped, it must be printed. If I file anything for a governmental agency, and don't type it, it must be printed. With most docs though, they are now filed out online.

Even if you ignore the legal signature aspect (yes, you can scrawl something and call it a signature - it won't help you with theft protection but OK), I still would have a hard time classifying cursive as an unnecessary "art". Cursive is much faster than printing. Sometimes I need to write things down and who wants to take the extra time to print each letter separately? Why deprive people of a more efficient way to do something? That's like saying that calculators are an unnecessary art because you can always do long division by hand. Or that learning to type correctly is unnecessary because you can peck with 2 fingers (there are people that argue this too, but as with cursive vs. printing - it just means I can do it about 100 times faster than you because I took the time to learn it...).

jkattk said:
Even if you ignore the legal signature aspect (yes, you can scrawl something and call it a signature - it won't help you with theft protection but OK), I still would have a hard time classifying cursive as an unnecessary "art". Cursive is much faster than printing. Sometimes I need to write things down and who wants to take the extra time to print each letter separately? Why deprive people of a more efficient way to do something? That's like saying that calculators are an unnecessary art because you can always do long division by hand. Or that learning to type correctly is unnecessary because you can peck with 2 fingers (there are people that argue this too, but as with cursive vs. printing - it just means I can do it about 100 times faster than you because I took the time to learn it...).

This thread is quickly morphing into something else entirely but I have to say that for me, printing is light years faster than cursive for me. When I'm taking notes, it's actually something akin to "print cursive" if that makes sense. In other words, it's regular block print, but I don't lift up my pen. This means that the letters are often connected to each other, just not in the "pretty cursive" way. If cursive works well for you, that's great! Nobody is going to "deprive" you, but many find that it is NOT the most useful or efficient way, otherwise it would still be on the forefront. In your example, you said it would be like calling calculators a dying art because you can always just use long division. I actually think your analogy is reversed. I would liken cursive to long division and computers and print to calculators ... Those things that are most socially and technologically relevant advance whereas those that are more stylized will be the first to go.

In your example, you said it would be like calling calculators a dying art because you can always just use long division. I actually think your analogy is reversed. I would liken cursive to long division and computers and print to calculators ... Those things that are most socially and technologically relevant advance whereas those that are more stylized will be the first to go.
True. I never said it didn't need to be taught. Just like I wouldn't say we no longer need to teach long division because everyone has calculators. Both should be taught.

I too use a combination of cursive and print, unless I am dealing with one of my government docs. And more than once I have had to tear one up and start over due to my "cursive/print" print.

I think whatever you use most will be fastest for you. My older son has very neat print. He prints exceptionally fast (part of his job.) He also types at 102 words per minute. His cursive is very pretty, but due to the amount of work he has to do writing in print, he is so much faster than he is in cursive.

THAT SAID, to be a legal signature, it simply has to be a "mark or symbol" that is attributed to the person. My "signature" at the bank must be on all my checks. It doesn't have to be my name. It has to be my mark. My signature is not easy to copy. On the tickets for a child, just print their names. Legally, a child cannot sign until they are 18 or emancipated. On checks, the parent signs "For the minor child Jane Doe" and signs their name. At the gate, what I saw happening last week was the CM said "Tommy" and the little boy would answer "Me!" Or asked the child "What is your name?" and match it to a ticket.

I have an AP, but my young daughters have 5 day PH's for our upcoming trip......will we need to use the special lines since there aren't any adults, just the minors with these ??

I have an AP, but my young daughters have 5 day PH's for our upcoming trip......will we need to use the special lines since there aren't any adults, just the minors with these ??

It was partway through this thread (which has morphed a bit) that disney has abandoned the separate lines for the 5&6 day PH's. Disney tried it for a short time and it didn't work well so now all lines are open to everyone regardless of their ticket type. You just need some ID and they will have you put the names on them. You don't have to worry about which line.

It was partway through this thread (which has morphed a bit) that disney has abandoned the separate lines for the 5&6 day PH's. Disney tried it for a short time and it didn't work well so now all lines are open to everyone regardless of their ticket type. You just need some ID and they will have you put the names on them. You don't have to worry about which line.

Thank You for this information!! :goodvibes

I helped administer the PSAT a few months ago and the kids were sweating bullets over having to write a passage (non-graded verification) in cursive. It's simply not taught in many elementary schools, and even for those kids who did learn it in elementary, most seem to have 'lost' the skill as assignments are either casually accepted w/the writing style of choice (like a homework assignment) or are required to be typed (an essay). When I was in HS, even though computers/word processors were becoming common place, most essays were still required to be in cursive. There weren't enough computers on campus to expect that we would all have access, so they didn't expect us to type them.

I know few adults who write in cursive. Most use a hybrid looping of printed letters. Kids see 'cursive' and think it needs to follow the cursive rules exactly, which stresses them out, but I think most are perfectly capable of duplicating the 'cursive' of most grown ups (more of a connected print, less of the 'by the book' cursive characters). Pretty sure I haven't used that cute little cursive 'b' since Jr High, lol.

1st time poster, so be a little easy on me....

We recently went to Disneyland, and right now they do seem to be cracking down hard on ticket rentals. We were asked to show photo ID every single time we entered a gate - with or without a hand stamp. We got the Southern California City Pass, and we were handed a fine-tipped permanent marker to print (not a signature) our names on the tickets issued at the gate.

I also understand the 4/5 day tickets are getting more scrutiny because they're where the rentals can make the most due to the low marginal price for the fourth and fifth day. It wouldn't surprise me if these rentals were now buying the current special at Costco. I understand that Disneyland's machines are now programmed to print the name of the ticket holder when issued at the gate for the 4/5 days. Some of the rentals say they use a dry erase marker, but I don't think that will work any more since they'll either machine print the name or will force people to use their pens that they know can't be erased without it being obvious.

Of course people have been asking about finger scans. I can speak from experience - most systems (save law enforcement) don't store actual fingerprints but are looking for "minutiae". Everything is turned into a template file of positions and directions. And will there be a California law like Florida has that will make renting out multi-day tickets illegal?

I also don't get it. Some of these places have prices that are even higher than one can purchase a five day ticket. I saw some place that wants 4 days (peak period) for $300 and 3 days for $265, while Disneyland charges $275/$250 at the ticket window. It's even less if you go through Costco. And who gets to use the Magic Morning when they're rented? I think these rentals also expect that you'll use them on consecutive days, when a lot of people will take days off to recuperate or visit some other place.

I just was at Disneyland from November 8-11. The first morning (Thursday) we had to use the 2 separate turnstiles for 4+ day passes. It was a breeze, because everyone was prepared with names on their tickets, and IDs handy. They had CMs walking the lines, and offering pens to those who were unaware. We were through the gates in a matter of minutes.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday (Nov 9, 10 &11) We could use ANY turnstile, as now they are saying they are requiring ALL tickets (even 1 day passes) to be signed. Lines were free flowing pretty much (except Sunday, it was a high crowd day).

I think they want names on the tickets just in case someone else tries to get in on the same day and can fake a hand stamp.

The rentals are now supposedly using dry erase markers. Of course this could be pretty easily detected by a CM wiping over each name with a cloth. Maybe even use an absorbent surface or uncoated rectangle which will soak the ink and can't be erased. A dry erase marker is actually rather permanent on normal paper.

What I hope this is trying to catch are all those travel agents that advertise "renting" park hoppers to guests and then come back at the end of the day to collect them and re rent them. This should put an instant stop to that. This should also help stop people selling the last days of their park hoppers and using that to upgrade to AP's. I think Disney is trying to end some of the shananagans people try to pull

Just used the first of a 4 day (Costco) hopper yesterday. It was totally no biggie, no drama. Used a regular line to enter. Took a few extra seconds (maybe 90 seconds total for 3 people). I had printed our names on our tickets. She asked for ID, then typed each of our names in to the computer and gave us our new tickets w/names typed. Wasn't a big deal at all, and lines were perfectly reasonable (at opening - about 20 people deep).

Just used the first of a 4 day (Costco) hopper yesterday. It was totally no biggie, no drama. Used a regular line to enter. Took a few extra seconds (maybe 90 seconds total for 3 people). I had printed our names on our tickets. She asked for ID, then typed each of our names in to the computer and gave us our new tickets w/names typed. Wasn't a big deal at all, and lines were perfectly reasonable (at opening - about 20 people deep).

Machine printing the names is clearly a strategy to foil the rental brokers. Again, I had the 3-day PH with CityPass, and of course was issued a new ticket at the gate to use for DL admission each additional day. However, we ended up having to write our own names.

When were the tickets sold before arriving at the turnstiles the ones that would actually be used each day? From my reading of how these rental brokers work, they relied on having the actual tickets that would be used every day (including the first). The strategy first involved the tickets not having any name, then later ID checks being spotty, and then being able to write down a name using a dry erase marker (or at least that's what one Yelp review of a broker says) before arriving at the park. So now they're countering this by machine printing the names for 4-5 day tickets as well as entering the name and probably looking up the name at the turnstile to be matched with ID.

I guess they have to pay for all the new rides and the cost of refurbishing DCA. I remember once going with some relatives who lived in Southern California. They had annual passes but were blacked out one day we went together. They bought discounted tickets for passholders. As a guest of a Southern California resident, I actually got a special ticket for the price of a 1-day/1-park admission. I could either use my ticket as a Park Hopper for one day or use it on two separate days (that was my choice) at each park. Of course DCA wasn't quite what it is now. Tower of Terror was still under construction, but I still had a good time. The crowds were really light though.

We are here now. I purchased tickets online directly from Disneyland and printed them at home. We used them the first time yesterday morning. The CM printed out our tickets at the turnstyle. Mine had my name on it because I am the one that purchased the tickets. The CM asked me to print my DH and DS's names on their tickets with a black sharpie. So I did. She said to make sure we had our ID ready each time we entered either of the parks. So this morning we went to Disneyland, had our IDs ready. DS and I were fine but the CM had an issue with my DH's PH because his MIDDLE name wasn't printed on the PH. She made him write his middle name on the PH. What is up with that? Like most of us, his drivers license has his first middle and last name printed on it. Mine has my first middle and last name on it but my ticket doesn't have my middle name. My husband was just PO'd this morning. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow morning.

I don't have an issue with them getting tough with PHer's. I just wish they would all get on the same page as to how they will do it. There is no consistancy.

I think part of the reason the ticket brokers have been able to do this is because of lax enforcement and the sheer number of ways to get tickets. If they exclusively issued the actual park tickets that could be used for reentry at the turnstiles and machine printed or forced people to print with Sharpies in the presence of a CM, these brokers would be out of business.

As it stands now, they're looking for ways to circumvent the system. If they can still buy tickets that will be directly used for each day (as opposed to presenting a bar coded instrument like CityPass or a printed page) then they'll be looking at ways to place the name on tickets such that they can be erased. I like the idea that EVERY ticket is issued at the turnstiles and is machine printed with the name of the customer who can use the ticket. Each ticket should be registered with that name and a CM should look at the screen every single time a ticket is used for reentry. This would seem to be more effective than the biometric system they have at WDW where sometimes the equipment is finicky and they just skip those measures. A photo ID and permanently printed name on the ticket is somewhat low tech, but it works as long as the employees have decent eyesight.

I understand that it was rare for tickets to be signed. I've searched for images of used multi-day PH tickets, and the majority weren't signed. I will say that there is a spot on the back of my CityPass card that says the 1st date of use and signature are required. My CityPass was accepted all three places without it. However, I don't see that as rife for defrauding the parks. It might be possible to defraud someone trying to buy one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter