4 and 5 day passes now must show ID and use separate entrance

I think part of the reason the ticket brokers have been able to do this is because of lax enforcement and the sheer number of ways to get tickets. If they exclusively issued the actual park tickets that could be used for reentry at the turnstiles and machine printed or forced people to print with Sharpies in the presence of a CM, these brokers would be out of business.

As it stands now, they're looking for ways to circumvent the system. If they can still buy tickets that will be directly used for each day (as opposed to presenting a bar coded instrument like CityPass or a printed page) then they'll be looking at ways to place the name on tickets such that they can be erased. I like the idea that EVERY ticket is issued at the turnstiles and is machine printed with the name of the customer who can use the ticket. Each ticket should be registered with that name and a CM should look at the screen every single time a ticket is used for reentry. This would seem to be more effective than the biometric system they have at WDW where sometimes the equipment is finicky and they just skip those measures. A photo ID and permanently printed name on the ticket is somewhat low tech, but it works as long as the employees have decent eyesight.

I understand that it was rare for tickets to be signed. I've searched for images of used multi-day PH tickets, and the majority weren't signed. I will say that there is a spot on the back of my CityPass card that says the 1st date of use and signature are required. My CityPass was accepted all three places without it. However, I don't see that as rife for defrauding the parks. It might be possible to defraud someone trying to buy one.

They did not even attempt to print my DH or DS names on their tickets at the turnstyle. They had me write their names on it. I am upset that there is no consistancy on what they do.

They did not even attempt to print my DH or DS names on their tickets at the turnstyle. They had me write their names on it. I am upset that there is no consistancy on what they do.

That can be effective as long as they always make sure that a name is on the ticket in some manner that can't be erased. I've made suggestions that if printed by hand, the box needs to be absorbent such that dry erase markers (a new tactic of the brokers) can't actually be erased. Or for that matter only allow

There are many, many ways to buy "tickets". I think one can still buy tickets at the ticket window that are the actual park tickets to be used for each entry. The other "tickets" (CityPass, Costco, Safeway/Vons, print at home, AAA, etc) are essentially vouchers that are traded for tickets good for reentry. What they need to do is make sure that every ticket (the one used for FP and reetry) is issued at the turnstiles and that the name is recorded and looked up for every reentry to be matched with ID. Some reading on the brokers suggests that they now pre-print names on the tickets in dry erase to be reused with another name.

I heard that a couple of the brokers have gone out of business. There are still some remaining, but once they start getting burned by more and more confiscated tickets, their business model will collapse.

Do kids need ID?

No. However, if your kids have photo ID (a passport, passport card, or state ID) it might be a good idea. It might come in handy if there's some questions about age (you've got a big 9 YO) or if you've got a big 2 YO who doesn't need a ticket. I think it might also speed things along since there has been talk that they spend longer quizzing kids without ID and holding up the lines.

Do kids need ID?

In August we did not need ID for the kids. DD12 had her name printed on the ticket, DD16 has an AP so her photo pops up, nephews didn't need to show ID (7 & 5), niece was 2 but turned 3 on the last day, she was never questioned nor did her parents have to prove her age. :)

In August we did not need ID for the kids. DD12 had her name printed on the ticket, DD16 has an AP so her photo pops up, nephews didn't need to show ID (7 & 5), niece was 2 but turned 3 on the last day, she was never questioned nor did her parents have to prove her age. :)

Hi Pixiewings,

Per the other thread on this where you posted the same comment: When you went in August Disney was not cracking down on the ticket ID issue. It started around Oct. 24th. So all the problems people have dealt with are within the last month.

There are some reports of issues with CM's wanting ID's for children while others had no problems. The very youngest children seem to have less problems. The concensus seems to be, try to have some kind of ID for the children just to be on the safe side. Also, some are reporting if an adult goes first and tells the CM how many children are in the group they seem to have less issues with the kids ID.

Hope this helps some. :)

All I know is that my 11 year-old has no form of ID at all. And no, her school does not offer it. And I feel no desire to get her ID from the DMV.

For goodness sakes, the TSA doesn't even ask for it.

All I know is that my 11 year-old has no form of ID at all. And no, her school does not offer it. And I feel no desire to get her ID from the DMV.

It was useful to have when we took our kid as a lap infant. Southwest normally asks for a birth certificate to prove a kid is under 2, although they in reality will accept any form of government issued ID. We flashed the passport card at the airport security lines and the agents actually looked at it.

Besides, our kid has a passport just in case we travel internationally. At the very least the passport card might be useful if we're visiting relatives in Seattle and feel like taking a day trip to Vancouver. Or maybe going to Tijuana.

Still not all states offer photo IDs to those younger than driving age, although California does. One can apply for a California photo ID for an infant the day they leave the hospital.

It was useful to have when we took our kid as a lap infant. Southwest normally asks for a birth certificate to prove a kid is under 2, although they in reality will accept any form of government issued ID. We flashed the passport card at the airport security lines and the agents actually looked at it.

Besides, our kid has a passport just in case we travel internationally. At the very least the passport card might be useful if we're visiting relatives in Seattle and feel like taking a day trip to Vancouver. Or maybe going to Tijuana.

Still not all states offer photo IDs to those younger than driving age, although California does. One can apply for a California photo ID for an infant the day they leave the hospital.

I'm sure it's very useful in certain circumstances, and for families that travel out of the country. But at this point, my own family has no need for our child to have ID. And the TSA has only ever asked her what her name is, and I think what her birthday was at one point.

I'm not too worried about it, we'll cross that bridge if we come to it. :)

The TSA doesn't ask because, as it would be for Disneyland, it's illegal to ask a minor for ID in this situation. If any CM asks a minor for ID, and the answer "they are minor" does not suffice, simply report them.

The TSA doesn't ask because, as it would be for Disneyland, it's illegal to ask a minor for ID in this situation.
As pointed out in the other thread, Disneyland is a private company, not an arm of the government, and can do just about anything they want so long as they do not discriminate against a protected class. Some things are better for business than others, of course, and not insisting on minor ID is one of them. After all, a large segment of children probably don't have anything suitable. But that doesn't mean Disney has to do things that way.

I'm not aware of any statute, Federal or CA State, that forbids private companies from asking for identification of anyone, minor or not. What's more, I don't know whether it is illegal for TSA to ask for ID from minors, or simply that they do not because most minors won't have it. If you are aware of the federal statute that applies, I'd love to see the citation.

As pointed out in the other thread, Disneyland is a private company, not an arm of the government, and can do just about anything they want so long as they do not discriminate against a protected class. Some things are better for business than others, of course, and not insisting on minor ID is one of them. After all, a large segment of children probably don't have anything suitable. But that doesn't mean Disney has to do things that way.

I'm not aware of any statute, Federal or CA State, that forbids private companies from asking for identification of anyone, minor or not. What's more, I don't know whether it is illegal for TSA to ask for ID from minors, or simply that they do not because most minors won't have it. If you are aware of the federal statute that applies, I'd love to see the citation.

Proof of identity might be required for unaccompanied minors for air travel, although a birth certificate is often sufficient, as is school ID. I generally like the idea of a passport card or non-driver-license photo ID as they're compact and don't have as much potential for identity fraud as with a birth certificate since they contain a photo.

Someone mentioned being Canadian, and from my reading of TSA policy, they require photo ID for Canadian citizens regardless of age for US domestic air travel.

It's TSA policy that minors under 18 traveling with an adult aren't required to produce ID. I don't believe it's in any law or regulation. Airlines themselves have different policies.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/minor-child-identification-airline-travel-52409.html

Forms of Identification And Proof of Age

Although not all airlines will check your child’s ID for domestic travel, it’s a good idea to have it on hand. Most list a birth certificate as the preferred method of identification; for example, Southwest Airlines requires one for all children younger than two (See References). If you’re worried about losing or damaging the original document, order a certified copy of your child’s birth certificate from her birth county’s Office of Vital Records. Travel with the copy and leave the original safe at home. A government-issued passport is also a valid form of ID for children, as is a photo ID card issued by your state’s department of motor vehicles.

Minors Traveling With Parents

It’s up to the individual airline whether they check the identification of a minor traveling domestically with parents. American Airlines states that you “may be required to present proof of age” for children younger than 18 (See References). Southwest requires a birth certificate for all infants younger than the age of 2 and proof of age for children older than 2. United Airlines “may” require proof of age for infants and toddlers traveling internationally (See References). The best course of action is to notify the airline at the time of booking that you’re traveling with a minor. On the day of travel, carry your child’s birth certificate or passport in case you are required to prove your child’s age.

Minors Traveling Alone

If your child is traveling alone, you'll need to consult the airline on its unaccompanied minor policy. The older the child, the more likely he'll be allowed to travel without an airline chaperone. The age limits and ID requirements vary by carrier. Delta and American Airlines, for example, only allows children 15 and older to travel alone domestically without their unaccompanied minor service (See References). Southwest Airlines allows children as young as 5 to travel alone without an airline chaperones as long as they're on a non-stop or direct flight; they say proof of age "may" be required. If you're worried, the best course of action is to send your child with a certified copy of his birth certificate, just in case.

Airlines, like Disney, are private companies. Airlines, like Diaey, are not allowed to ask a minor or ID

Reading constant threads about people freaking out about their minors by having ID here is hysterical.

That they do not is not evidence that they are not allowed to. Still waiting for the citation to relevant statute.

Airlines, like Disney, are private companies. Airlines, like Diaey, are not allowed to ask a minor or ID

Reading constant threads about people freaking out about their minors by having ID here is hysterical.

Cite a source. There may be policies with certain types of businesses because few parents carry such identification for their children, but there is no law that says that a private business can't ask for some form of identification or proof of age. Private businesses that have admission prices or fares based on age can and have asked for proof of age. All the domestic airlines specifically require proof of age if a child is brought on board as a lap infant. Proof of age is typically required for an unaccompanied minor, who is required to be at least 5 on most airlines and where the fee varies depending on age. It may simply be a birth certificate, but my family has personally used government issued photo ID (and it was tough getting my kid to sit still for the photo or not make a face).

Nursery schools, daycare, or private schools do ask for proof of identity and age for the children under their care. They are private businesses and they're not doing anything illegal by asking for it. However, those are special cases where it's typically a one-time thing.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/minor-child-identification-airline-travel-52409.html

Minors Traveling Alone

If your child is traveling alone, you'll need to consult the airline on its unaccompanied minor policy. The older the child, the more likely he'll be allowed to travel without an airline chaperone. The age limits and ID requirements vary by carrier. Delta and American Airlines, for example, only allows children 15 and older to travel alone domestically without their unaccompanied minor service (See References). Southwest Airlines allows children as young as 5 to travel alone without an airline chaperones as long as they're on a non-stop or direct flight; they say proof of age "may" be required. If you're worried, the best course of action is to send your child with a certified copy of his birth certificate, just in case.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...ldrenTraveling.jsp#IdentificationRequirements

Identification Requirements
Passengers 18 years of age or older are required to have government-issued photo identification for travel within the United States. However, you may be required to present proof of age (such as a birth certificate) at the airport for any children under the age of 18 who are traveling with you.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...n-traveling-alone.aspx?lid=301:PolicyRedirect

Children traveling alone must be at least 5 years old at time of travel. For your child's safety, proof of age (e.g. birth certificate or passport) may be requested upon check-in at the airport.

Nobody here is saying that someone who looks to be a minor will be asked for identification at Disneyland. The most ID that parents have for their children are either school IDs or birth certificates. However, the reason they don't have such a policy is not because there's anything stopping them from instituting such a policy. There are several threads on the subject of proof of age for children who are under 3 or under 10:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2986673
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2972144
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2973013
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2816449

Several kids have certainly been asked "How old are you son?" The CMs have the discretion to deny entry if they suspect a child is at least 3 but the parents are trying to sneak the kid in as someone under age 3. I've heard sometimes they sort of give a wink and a nod, but who knows if maybe you catch someone on a bad day. If you've got something that proves age (and I did last weekend) what would be the harm in bringing it?

Just got home from 5 days in DLR. We park hopped each day and no one asked for ID for my kids. DH and I had our ID out and ready to go each time through the turnstiles and we moved quickly. No issue at all with the kids.

We are here now using 7 day park hoppers. Not once on the 4 days we have been in the park so far has anyone asked my 13 or 11 year old for ID. Either my husband or I has gone through the turnstile first with our ID ready followed by the kids and the other adult. I had printed each of our names on the back of the ticket where indicated and no one was made to resign them or anything.

We are here now using 7 day park hoppers. Not once on the 4 days we have been in the park so far has anyone asked my 13 or 11 year old for ID. Either my husband or I has gone through the turnstile first with our ID ready followed by the kids and the other adult. I had printed each of our names on the back of the ticket where indicated and no one was made to resign them or anything.

It does seem to be hit and miss- for everyone who posts their kids weren't asked you get someone who was... I just hope Disney gets consistent and does a better job informing people to bring their ID's everyday. Thanks for the update SkRiderMom!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter